Galvanic Current

Post yer RPs here.
Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma
Galvanic Current

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat May 20, 2017 7:20 pm

The year is 2060. Humanity is reaching for the stars. Mars is in the process of terraforming, and has accumulated a rudimentary atmosphere for the first time in millions of years. Trawlers crawl through the asteroid belt, latching onto mineral rich asteroids and bringing them back to Earth for processing into more building material. The first ark-ships are finally starting to arrive in Jupiter, carrying thousands of colonists each to exploit the Jovian system. Earth's climate change is finally being reversed, though the damage wrought to the environment will take hundreds of years to be undone. All of this made possible by the advent of advanced fusion technology, powering cities and spacecraft alike.

The Saturnian system is the next target for colonization, its exploitation vital for the fusion-driven economy. Vast quantities of Helium-3 swirl within its atmosphere, and Titan bereft of hydrocarbons that are all but depleted on Earth. Vast ark-ships are already under construction in Earth orbit, but the system must be scouted and prepared for their arrival. A job that has been delegated to you.

The journey will take six years; you will be in cold sleep for the duration of that journey, since six years of jerkin' off is scientifically proven to cause space madness. You'll arrive a few months ahead of the ark-ships, so you'll have plentytime to map out the majority of the system. Keep them safe.

Your Ship: The UNS Tereshkova
Spoiler:
The Tereshkova is a fairly recent, custom design, roughly wedge-shaped coming to a point at the bow and aerodynamically designed for planetary landings. It has three decks aligned perpendicular to the main engines; the central deck holds the fusion core, engine room, crew quarters, galley and cold-sleep room. The upper deck holds the bridge, captain's quarters, communications system and AI core. The lower deck holds the cargo bay (filled with surveying gear), shuttle bay (if the ship cannot land on a planet), two land exploration vehicles--both of which can fit in the shuttle individually--engineering bay, and a meager armory. The ship is not equipped with artificial gravity.

The ship is equipped with top-of-the-line surveying scanners; Gravimetric sensors, terrain mappers, subsurface radar, the works. It also has a fuel scoop for atmospheric refueling using Saturn's atmosphere. The lifting engines are capable of launching it off of most moons, while the main engine--consisting of a cluster of six gas-core fusion rockets--is powerful enough to lift the ship out of Earth gravity, if an appropriate runway exists. It also has two shockwave mining lasers for fracturing rocks and minerals mounted in deployable hardpoints on the sides of the ship; it is weapons grade at very short ranges.

Tereshkova is outfitted with a highly autonomous Artificial Intelligence, which has taken the name Transistor (as it feels its original namesake is a highly unoriginal acronym thought up by bored scientists). Transistor is tasked with assisting the crew and only has as much power as the Captain gives it; by default, it is tasked with advising the crew and monitoring ship vitals and sensor information.
The Crew
Spoiler:
Captain: Kade Waelon (Vinyl)
AI: Transistor (Fenway)
Security Officer: Lieutenant Alba (Lightspeed)
Science Officer: Rana Shastri (Dayn)
Chief Engineer: Dr. Miles Tigan (Error)
Chief Medical: Michael Harold Stein (cats)
The Application

Name:
Short Description:
Role Aboard Ship:
Personality:
Skills:
Flaws:
Short Bio:

[This is your standard Fenway RP. Expect shenanigans. This RP will start with you exiting cryogenic sleep at Saturn, and will progress from there; if you REALLY want to do some RP before the six-year journey to Saturn, I will consider it.]
[Note the ship must have a captain. I will not be playing this role. One of you has to be the Captain.]
Last edited by Professor Fenway on Sun May 21, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Lightspeedo
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Darkstar Co
IGN:Lightspeed

Re: Galvanic Current

Post by Lightspeedo » Sat May 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Name: Lieutenant Edwin Alba
Short Description:
Spoiler:
Role Aboard Ship: Security Officer and Military Advisor

Personality: Edwin is very composed, with a straight sense of honour and duty. Always do the best to ensure the survival of everyone who depends on him. Its not very fond of making jokes or being sarcastic, and most of his communication is straight to the point.
Skills:

Naval Officer:
Spent most of his life studying and training at a naval academy. Member of the still young "SolForce Navy", its one of the fresh officers out of SolForce academies. [Skills in general operations of a space vessel with focus on military operations, logistics, management of troops and OpSec]

Good at Guitar playing;
Standard "bootcamp" training [Weapons, CQC, combat drills,etc]

Flaws: Sometimes understand things too literally and sometimes it can easily get mad, losing control over his actions using emotions over logic. [ That locked him out of achieving higher ranks]

Short Bio:

Son of a military family, it was born and raised on Earth, moving from naval base to naval base. His formative years were spent on learning the family trade with a rigid father. When the time came to choose a career, Edwin choose to join the military. It was tradition.

Edwin was one of the first officers to be choosen to join the still young SolForce because of good grades and excelent performance. While not experient, it was choosen to join the expedition as a military advisor to mantain the integrity of the mission, by any means necessary.

[ Explanation on SolForce: The SolForce is a small branch of the Earth´s military with focus on space operations. While Earth has not found foes, it stands as a military research facility to develop ships, combat tactics, logistics and other necessities for a future "Space Navy". Currently only has one space station and only the best can be choosen to join ]

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat May 20, 2017 8:39 pm

[Please note: Earth is still fractured into many countless nations. The only military presence in space, currently, is the UN-sponsored Earth Defense Initiative, which is dedicated at keeping asteroids being towed into Earth orbit for mining from crashing into the planet. You'll be a part of that instead of the SolForce.]

Message from Transistor:

Welcome aboard, Lieutenant Alba. You will find the armory on the lower deck. Please note that the majority of armory functions will be locked without proper authorization.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat May 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Name: Kade Waelon
Short Description: A large, shaggy man getting passed his prime.
Role Aboard Ship: Captain
Personality: Though he doesn't really look it, he's generally amicable and doesn't take things too seriously.
Skills: Starship leadership experience, basic combat training.
Flaws: A stubbornly arrogant sonnuvabitch who wouldn't think twice about throwing you out the airlock.
Short Bio: A native Martian, Kade never really identified with his Earth heritage, and for the first few decades of his life never really went beyond the habitation domes. That was, until he joined up with a local militia. After a few years, though, it dissolved for various reasons. Eventually Kade managed to get an apprenticeship as a technician aboard a starship. It wasn't long before he found himself, somehow, at the helm of an EDI patrol vessel. When the UN was screening for capable but expendable captains for the Unyielding Apathy, they narrowly settled on Waelon.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat May 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Message from Transistor:

Good evening, Captain. I have compiled the report you requested; it is available in your quarters. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the data relevant to your request is still classified under the SECURE Act. I will be unable to factor it in until it is declassified.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sun May 21, 2017 5:28 am

Name: Rana Shastri

Short Description: An opportunistic astrochemist

Role Aboard Ship: Science officer

Personality: Neat, calm and professional, without being humorless and unfriendly. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Skills: Well educated in chemistry and some geology, calm under stress, a creative and determined problem-solver.

Flaws: Although she hides it well, Rana is quite selfish and prone to corruption; she's only loyal to herself and to money, and wouldn't think twice about betraying or abandoning someone for her own personal gain.

Short Bio: Born and raised in India, Rana had an interest in science and technology from a young age. As an adult she moved to Australia to study chemistry and geology at the University of Sydney, and graduated with top grades, securing her a position with an asteroid mining company. She did an excellent job for the company, and they profited as a result of her hard work, until one day, all of a sudden, they for some reason simply didn't. In an almost prescient move, Rana quit her position only a month before the company's shares saw a sudden and massive drop in value, moving over to another asteroid mining company who coincidentally saw a massive increase in profits around the same time. Over the next years, she continued to perform well in this new position. The company saw great profit and success as a result, and eventually Rana applied and was accepted as one of the crew for the Saturn mission of the Tereshkova.
Last edited by Archduke Daynel, PhD on Mon May 22, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Sun May 21, 2017 9:49 am

Message from Transistor:

Salutations, Rana. You will find the scientific equipment in the engineering bay. If you have any inquiries, I will do my best to answer them.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun May 21, 2017 9:59 am

Name: Dr. Miles Tigan

Short Description: 172cm, slight build, dark hair, blue eyes. Looks almost like a gymnast.

Role Aboard Ship: Chief Engineer

Personality: Blunt, direct, and often fatalistic. Very dark sense of humour.

Skills: Expert with fusion systems and propulsion, and an artist with power systems.

Flaws: That "WHOOSH" you hear? That's the sound of 'social cues' and 'tact' sailing clean over Tigan's head.

Short Bio: Growing up across several countries, with (often-reassigned) engineers for parents, Tigan was immersed in mathematics, power systems, and hard sciences from a very young age. After breezing through his engineering-heavy high school and college careers, he obtained a Ph.D in fusion systems and high-energy physics before moving into space. Most of his time since graduation has been spend working on the arkships under construction over Earth.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Sun May 21, 2017 10:11 am

Message from Transistor

Dr. Miles, I have reconfigured the fusion core to your specifications. I will once again voice my concern that your specifications result in a net chance of failure increase of 0.01%, making a catastrophic core failure almost certain after fifty years.

Lightspeedo
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lightspeedo » Sun May 21, 2017 10:30 am

[] It would be interesting to roleplay the start of the journey, boarding and all

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sun May 21, 2017 4:16 pm

Not really. There wouldn't really actually be much of anything to say or do, better to just start with the waking up from cryo, when stuff is actually happening.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sun May 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Yeah.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Lightspeedo
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lightspeedo » Sun May 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Professor Fenway wrote:Message from Transistor:

Message from Transistor:

Welcome aboard, Lieutenant Alba. You will find the armory on the lower deck. Please note that the majority of armory functions will be locked without proper authorization.
Waking up from cryo-sleep was not a pleasant experience. Even with many scientific advancements, it was still not something nice. It was the first to wake up. The capsule was confortable enough, still.

Alba was trying to get the grips on the current situation. First thing to do was to dom the uniform of the EDI. After that, a small routine of exercices to really "Wake up" from the trip.

- OK, Transistor?. Please, send this message to the crew PDA and give me a report on the current state of the ship. I want hull integrity data, the state of our mining lasers and a list of events from launch till now. And if you dont mind, could you send me a list of equipment available to my security clearance?

While not being the Captain, it was the military and security officer on the ship. The well being of the crew was in his hands.

[ Message : Cryo-Sleep Routine]
[FROM: Lieutenant Edwin Alba,OpSec officer]
[TO: Everyone

This is Edwin Alba.

Just a reminder to everyone. Do not forget the Standard post-cryosleep routine of streetching
and basic calistenics.

Its paramouth for your health[]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

re: bad name

Post by cats » Sun May 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Name: Michael Harold Stein
Short Description: Mike, or Harold, or (preferably) Dr. Stein, is a tall man of 34 with a sharp, angular face, greying brown hair, and the physique of an elongated, malnourished skeleton.
Role Aboard Ship: Medical Doctor, Researcher
Personality: Dr. Stein won praises for his bedside manner in med school, but that's just because he's a good actor. He feels bad that he's a good actor. He'd prefer genuine emotions, but you learn to block those out, at some point. He wonders when he learned to do that.
Skills: Medicine, statistics, lab procedure, psychiatry, chemistry, pharmacology
Flaws: He's sensitive about his flaws.
Short Bio: Michael H. Stein graduated with honors from the European University, and went on to obtain several additional undergraduate degrees, two doctorates and one masters in various scientific and medical fields. He went on to achieve great things in the world of medicine. Unfortunately, such great minds are often the most delicate. Below is a selection of voice transcripts which I have recorded and believe represent the mental condition of Dr. Michael H. Stein over several years.

[SENT] It's getting me up every four months now, and I stay up for as long as possible. I only need to be awake long enough to tend the plants, but I wish I could be up longer. They're really growing! And Sam is too! I can't wait to meet her in person

[SENT] I heard Mom's not doing so well. I'll be sure to shoot her plenty of messages. I've seen this kind of thing before. Sometimes, it works itself out, but make sure everyone's prepared.

[DISCARDED] Mom and Sam. I don't... I wake up and... I should have been there. I should be there now with you and Jaq and Dad. . .

[DISCARDED] Jaq, I guess we're both on our own now. I didn't think she could ever do something like this. She was strong, but... God, I don't fucking know what to say. It's my fault, you know. Not yours. I need you to know that. You're still family, Jaq. To me, and to Spencer, too. And... Uh. What was I saying? I should...

[DISCARDED] This might be the last time I send... I'm not going back in there. I'm not. I'm not. I'm not. [break] Hey, Dad. My judgement's been failing me recently. The meds help sometimes, at least for long enough to do my work. I'll be okay. It really means a lot, what you said. I'll be okay, and I know it's hard for you too, but we'll get through all this. . .

[DISCARDED] Hey Dad! I'm pretty sure it's after me, but that's okay. I had to be fine with dying on this fucking thing anyway. Sorry, excuse the language, I've been on edge lately. . . [break] I'm hiding. [break] [sobbing] I'm not going back in there. I'm not. I can't. I can't. I can't . . .

[SENT] Hey, Dad. Looks like I found some pills that work, finally get a fucking lucid moment. Only thing is it lowers my inhibitions. I'm sure I can find something to counter that, too, I'll have to if that Indian * doesn't want me grabbing at her *. Hah. Oh, heard you found yourself another girl! You know, about Mom, I. . .
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Sun May 21, 2017 10:16 pm

Message from Transistor;

I'm sorry, Doctor.