A New Hope?

Organized and clear discussion only. Be sure to read sub-forum descriptions.
Forum rules
- All off-topic posts will be removed without notice.
- Poorly written topics/posts will be edited without warning
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
- Posts may be moved without warning.
TinkerPox
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Argonian
IGN:TinkerPox
A New Hope?

Post by TinkerPox » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:24 am

As I told you guys before I had two semesters of coding this past year. I learned Visual Basic, C++, and C# and Java is very close to those. I have no doubt I could easily pick up the syntax of it. And I've been looking into how to mod for Minecraft. It doesn't seem challenging to make a mod that adds mobs/blocks/items. If I dwelled into it long enough I may be able to learn how to do great things such as Frost has attempted and re-invent the game engine. If I could get someone to try it with me, we could start simple like adding ores and simple tools/weapons. Is anyone up for it? I know everyone talked about learning Java a long time ago, but it showed no fruits of our labor. I know for sure I can code a complex 2D puzzle game in C#.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Re: A New Hope?

Post by Vinyl » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:05 am

cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

TinkerPox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TinkerPox » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:17 am

Vinczhechov wrote:Image
You just chose a meme from my favorite show. I'm committed xD

craftqq
Cadet
Cadet
IGN:craftqq

Post by craftqq » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:27 pm

I've been learning java for a year now, so if you want to have a go at it, count me in :)

Code: Select all

╔═══  ║   ║  ══╦══  ║   ║  ╔══╗   ╔═══  ╔═══╗  ╔══╗   ╔═══╗  ╔═══  ══╦══
║     ║   ║    ║    ║   ║  ║  ║   ║     ║      ║  ║   ║   ║  ║       ║  
╠══   ║   ║    ║    ║   ║  ╠══╩╗  ╠══   ║      ╠══╩╗  ╠═══╣  ╠══     ║  
║     ║   ║    ║    ║   ║  ║   ║  ║     ║      ║   ║  ║   ║  ║       ║  
║     ╚═══╝    ║    ╚═══╝  ║   ║  ╚═══  ╚═══╝  ║   ║  ║   ║  ║       ║  

TinkerPox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TinkerPox » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:50 pm

craftqq wrote:I've been learning java for a year now, so if you want to have a go at it, count me in :)
The first basic part is pretty much using like the regular ores and renaming them, changing textures and data values. So initally it`s pretty easy.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:29 pm

You know you could start with it, of course, prolly even get a bunch of stuff done, there are just a few problems that require very complicated and difficult code.

here is a short list of difficult tasks, in no particular order

1) allowing block-built objects to move independently from the rest of the world at 6 degrees of freedom, and allow players standing inside them to use these objects as reference frames, i.e. if the ship pitches up, the player model has to pitch along

2) get large-scale/crowd-run servers functional with the inter-server travelling mechanic

3) new/improved graphics engine - we need multi-kilometer view distances to run smoothly on at least midspec PCs.

4) power system

5) Squeeze Star Citizen into Space Engineers and port it over to Minecraft
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:00 pm

Also a combat system for said flying block-built objects.

TinkerPox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TinkerPox » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:27 pm

Yes, very well understand the challenge I`ll face when I get so far in. I won`t be able to do it alone. Nor do I plan to, I`m currently learning more coding commands/calls.

craftqq
Cadet
Cadet

Post by craftqq » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:59 am

TinkerPox wrote:
craftqq wrote:I've been learning java for a year now, so if you want to have a go at it, count me in :)
The first basic part is pretty much using like the regular ores and renaming them, changing textures and data values. So initally it`s pretty easy.
http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Basic_Modding
pretty much that. (+items / tools)
Ivan2006 wrote:You know you could start with it, of course, prolly even get a bunch of stuff done, there are just a few problems that require very complicated and difficult code.

1) allowing block-built objects to move independently from the rest of the world at 6 degrees of freedom, and allow players standing inside them to use these objects as reference frames, i.e. if the ship pitches up, the player model has to pitch along
Factorization has a chunk-rotation system from which we could...draw inspiration xD
2) get large-scale/crowd-run servers functional with the inter-server travelling mechanic
The servers need to know each other, then its just sending data over; the rest is a piece of cake
3) new/improved graphics engine - we need multi-kilometer view distances to run smoothly on at least midspec PCs.
Should be no problem in space since the amount of blocks to render is quite low - but anything else and we need to seriously change how both the graphics and physic engine work (gtx980 +4770K; still getting under 60 fps and framedrops) :/ Minecraft is THE game that performes worst on my computer
4) power system
plenty (Opensource) power systems already out there; I'm sure we could use (and change) an existing one
That'll happen automatically ;)
Most of the work'll be putting stuff together and creating content (besides multi-km render); Modding has seriously changed in the last few years.

...unless you want to do stuff without forge. Then you're looking forward to A LOT of work and making everything yourself (even more if you don't want to use MCP, but I doubt we're going to decompile / deobfuscate stuff on our own)

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:06 am

Well I could quite easily get the rights to use TMT off Flan... Which would make modelling very easy, we'd be able to use conventional models, fancy tesselator shapes and import .obj files all with one package.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

TinkerPox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TinkerPox » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:14 pm

craftqq wrote:
TinkerPox wrote:
http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Basic_Modding
pretty much that. (+items / tools)
Ivan2006 wrote:You know you could start with it, of course, prolly even get a bunch of stuff done, there are just a few problems that require very complicated and difficult code.

Factorization has a chunk-rotation system from which we could...draw inspiration xD
The servers need to know each other, then its just sending data over; the rest is a piece of cake
Should be no problem in space since the amount of blocks to render is quite low - but anything else and we need to seriously change how both the graphics and physic engine work (gtx980 +4770K; still getting under 60 fps and framedrops) :/ Minecraft is THE game that performes worst on my computer
4) power system
plenty (Opensource) power systems already out there; I'm sure we could use (and change) an existing one
That'll happen automatically ;)
Most of the work'll be putting stuff together and creating content (besides multi-km render); Modding has seriously changed in the last few years.

...unless you want to do stuff without forge. Then you're looking forward to A LOT of work and making everything yourself (even more if you don't want to use MCP, but I doubt we're going to decompile / deobfuscate stuff on our own)
That`s where I read how to use MC files to make new stuff. I read that the othe day.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:42 am

Ivan2006 wrote: 3) new/improved graphics engine - we need multi-kilometer view distances to run smoothly on at least midspec PCs.
In other words, remake Minecraft in something other than Java.
Anything other than Java.
Srsly Java sucks for stuff like Minecraft.

Y'all wanna know why Minecraft runs like shit on every single computer ever? Because it uses Java the processor has to be both processor and graphics card.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

craftqq
Cadet
Cadet

Post by craftqq » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:42 am

Archduke Daynel, PhD wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote: 3) new/improved graphics engine - we need multi-kilometer view distances to run smoothly on at least midspec PCs.
In other words, remake Minecraft in something other than Java.
Anything other than Java.
Srsly Java sucks for stuff like Minecraft.

Y'all wanna know why Minecraft runs like shit on every single computer ever? Because it uses Java the processor has to be both processor and graphics card.
http://www.lwjgl.org/
https://www.opengl.org/
That's not the problem. Minecraft just renders (almost) every. single. block. all. the. time. (and 16*16*16 = 4096 blocks pro chunk (although many blocks are just air);6 sides pro block: 24576 sides pro chunk; minimum render distance: 2 chunks (radius): 2*2*2 = 8 ==> at least 196608 sides to render. this does get less with advanced opengl (right in the options panel), but it's still much too much at decent settings (this is exactly what frostbyte wanted to do with occlusion culling: don't render what the user can't see. massive performance increase, but neither of us has access to this unless frostbyte comes along again.)

Also, just fyi: java doesn't really do anything on it's own. That's what all the native methods do: they are implemented in another language and get called from java (and yes, you can write your own native methods). This is the reason java (the language) is cross-platform but you need a different runtime for each OS.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Aren't chunks 16x16 and are the height of the world?

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:05 pm

World chunks are, render chunks are 16x16x16.

However there is this thing...
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/ma ... height-cap

Basically born from cubic chunks.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler: