Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 am

I won't boot into the current discussion but really Error ?
Commander Error wrote:The Terran Union officially dissolved in 2191 in the most recent canon RP. Ded.
You gonna decide for me what’s happening with my nation ? Moreover by any official account NeoRome split off UTA at 2253 so your "official lore" doesn't add up. This means that either you don't use any lore as a base or you use the "Error Lore" which includes whatever elements of lore were convenient for Error. Why did you decide that the UTN is dead in the first place ? Because I didn't participate in the last two RPs that were made by you ? Is that an attempt to "Punish" me for disagreeing with your RP system ? Not enjoying it ? Not playing it ? Do you really have the right to force me to play your RPs like that ? And what If I were to make an RP right now that takes place in 2300 after the break off of NeoRome where the UTN and other forces fight the invading owls ? Will it not be canon because "Iv made it" ?

Quit trying to play it god Error, it annoys me that you think you are the entirety of the community which gives you right to decide anything you want. Know what ? Decide anything you want but don't play that disgusting hypocrite disguise game, admit that it was your decision and don't hide behind big words like "we", you are not "we" unless you have a multi-personality syndrome (If you do I apologize to you and all of your personalities for my rude comment) so be a fking man and take responsibility for your words. For example I will do whatever the hell I want in my NavNet utility because Im the one who makes it (Its true I Won't do anything lore related in it though because the whole point of the util was maximum versatility)
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:28 am

The RP prior to Error's was Where We Left Off, which ACH made. And Where We Left Off was the continuation of the spontanteous RP in Solar's Faction Info thread. The current RP is Error's, which features a faction named the Terran Union, presumably no connection to the UTN or UTA or whatever-the-hell it's called. The UTA/UTN/? /could/ exist in Once More With Feeling, in fact, there's a perfectly good Terran Union remnant preparing to fuck off somewhere, I'm sure they'd love a new leader to bring about their return.

Although, I'm really concerned with how you're trying to protect a faction you say you seem to care about but then don't actually do anything with. If you're going to defend something, defend something relevant.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:40 am

Well as I said do you want me to play something I don't enjoy ? And you think you will enjoy playing with it like that ? I doubt you are answering yes to both of those. The UTN is my child, Ill protect it no matter what, even if it "dies", but it doesn't mean I will attempt to shove RPs up my throat merely so that you see those thre letters on every single RP you make.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:45 am

If you don't like the RPs, then why bother sticking around with them?

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:57 am

RETURNING TO TOPIC: It looks good, Tiel. I have one question, and one question only: Exactly how close/far are the (known) events of Valios (which you linked earlier)?

I was thinking about writing about the Avis war, GUARDIAN, the invasion, and how the current factions came to be. With your permission, of course. It would start as a basic idea based on the contents of Valios then work up from there.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:13 am

Vinyl wrote:If you don't like the RPs, then why bother sticking around with them?
The fact I dont like the current RPs doesn't mean I will never RP again. If I were to give up on RPs entirely perhapse your argument held ground but its clearly not my intention and as I said earlier nobody can't (and shouldnt for the sake of his own RP
) force someone to play with him. I critisize Error for trying to do that as well as practically atemting to take control of my faction merely to kill it. I believe I expressed this point so I will not interfere any further.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:24 am

Please, let's focus on the project. Tiel, I like your ideas. Are we going for all humans, or aliens as well as playable races? (or mixed species factions?) What time/level of technology is this set in. What kind of threats to the factions face (each other, or something besides?). Are resources scarce, or plentiful (who has access to what resources, is shipment easy?).

These are the kind of basic question about the Universe of the setting that will ultimately greatly affect gameplay. You need to start by considering what kind of gameplay experience and world you want players to experience, then start worrying about names, dates, places, people, etc. As an evolution to that, so that the details can naturally arise out the situation of the game's world.
This is a signature.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Arania Exumai

Post by cats » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:28 am

Vinyl wrote:
Mercury Steam wrote:We have plenty of races and factions we could use. Batii, Kylathans, and Trackuul to name a few off the top of my head.
>Plenty of factions
>Examples are all his

Not that you're wrong, of course, it's just a shame none of the other factions to arise meet your steep criteria, or at least do so as well as make a lasting impression.
The Batii are mine. Like Fen said, Kylathans are his and I only designed the Trackuul (Laruth (trackuul faction) is Luna's). And those are the first three I thought of, I didn't dredge the depths.

I don't think it's necessary to make completely different factions. Fen's earlier point holds truth, we already have an existing pool of "lore," we just need to choose from that existing pool carefully.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:19 am

Professor Fenway wrote:RETURNING TO TOPIC: It looks good, Tiel. I have one question, and one question only: Exactly how close/far are the (known) events of Valios (which you linked earlier)?

I was thinking about writing about the Avis war, GUARDIAN, the invasion, and how the current factions came to be. With your permission, of course. It would start as a basic idea based on the contents of Valios then work up from there.
The feathered threat to Valios came to a head (Avis war/invasion); what remained of the commonwealth pushed them back all the way to their homeworld. About a decade or so?
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:Are we going for all humans, or aliens as well as playable races? (or mixed species factions?) What time/level of technology is this set in. What kind of threats to the factions face (each other, or something besides?). Are resources scarce, or plentiful (who has access to what resources, is shipment easy?).
Generally they'd be mixed. IE Remnant might be a blend of NeoRome and Lyrans, ACCORD could have the Batiss among others, etc. The goal isn't to make completely new factions as it is to combine the ones in Valios in a way that makes sense.

Fuel is a big concern in a galaxy whose infrastructure has been crushed and bled to death fighting a war of survival, and later, of occupation.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:50 am

FYI, 'Lyrans' was retconned into 'Novans': I didn't realize at the time the Lyran Commonwealth was House Steiner from BattleTech. Anti-copyright-infringement retcon, activate.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:31 pm

While I played as Radion is Valios, the Hexalan Corporation existed, and therefore the spirit of 'Those Orange Folk' lives. Unless they went bankrupt. But they're an arms manufacturer, surely a galaxy of war would absolutely adore them.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Cistem Aperio

Post by cats » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:10 pm

There's the wrong way and there's the Steiner way... Which is the wrong way with assault mechs.

Valios was a long ass time ago.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:36 pm

Nothing worth mention has happened since then in the subforum aside from the usual, at least as far as I can tell from my skimming. Going to be the way it has to be unless the RP subforum spontaneously gets its stuff together and scrambles together something coherent...but we already tried that. The nice thing about AU, though, is that it'd be a simple matter to juxtapose such a solution as 'history' since (most of) the civilizations are shared under different names.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:29 pm

Just throwing in a suggestion, Tiel; why not let Fen handle the backstory entirely? I'm making the assumption that you will be doing a lot of codesmithing, and Fen has proven to be the best RP writer among us. He would handle the backstory entirely on his own, meaning there(hopefully) wouldn't be any bickering over involvement. While you clearly have a plan laid out, I think that perhaps Fen would be able to best create appropriate depth and character for it.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:50 pm

Fenway already said he would extrapolate on the setting.