Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

If it's relevant to Futurecraft, it goes here.
Forum rules
- This area is for general discussion; ideas and ships go elsewhere. Offending threads will be removed without prior notice.
- Unnecessary topics will be deleted or locked without warning.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: Bellum Stellarum (Working Title)

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:52 pm

Well because there are no birds in space, by declaring them avians they are now in the same category as all your local birds on Earth, they are AVIANS as well, or in other words you admit hes from Earth. You won't deny the freaking seagulls that are outside of my window right now are AVIANS right ? They are members of the same family, means they are genetically related, now go explain that for me.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Strigiforme are bird-like. They look like birds, were based on birds, somewhat act like birds, and overall, they're basically birds. Other than the connotation of the word 'avian', I see no issue.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Well thats one problem more than saying bird-like has, in fact if you wanna be accurate it would be avian-like, and that sounds even more stupid.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:03 pm

Example SDI Description:
Spoiler:
The SDI is mostly comprised of the avian Strigiforme. While their navy may not get there that quick, when they do they come in force, and a dangerous one at that. Few battles have been won against them without the opponent using superior numbers or firepower. A war with the SDI is a war of attrition, and you're losing already.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:05 pm

SDI won't be a thing.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Good.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:09 pm

The same goes for a lot of things if I have anything to say about it.

Just warning in advance.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:52 pm

cannonfodder wrote:SDI won't be a thing.
Spoiler:
Also @vinyl what Iv was saying, or adding to what Iv was saying, is that Earth =/= the rest of the universe. "Birds" are Earth, cordates are Earth, even prokaryota and eukaryota are unique to Earth. Life on another plant would have entirely different classifications. The owls wouldn't be owls and they wouldn't be avians. While they might be close enough to call "avian-like," the entire concept itself is fundamentally flawed in almost every way and I don't know why anyone would ever want it for a game like this.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Because it is a non-professionally made space RTS and nobody pays attention to the filler information like species or whether they are avian or avian-like.

Kinda wondering what Tiel's plan is, if he is removing SDI and "a lot of other stuff".
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:25 pm

SDI is a pretty blatant rip of GDI.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Fair enough, because that's entirely correct. Is it going to be changed to just Strigiforme then? The word has no connotations for most people, meaning it'll have a fairly unique identity to us.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:34 pm

In all fairness, though the GSI was the GSA rebranded to be military instead of science, and the HGE is some weird-ass militaryistic corporatocracy with a hellish superiority complex.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:37 pm

The issue is that GDI is from Command and Conquer, which means copywrite laws and the issue of originality.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:36 am

This is what I understand.

G.S.I is the Galactic Security Initiative. A conglomerate of the most powerful human factions to protect and serve the interests of humanity across the galaxy.

H.G.E sounds like the Hexaguthian Expanse. A second alliance, shunned from the G.S.I for their outlandish, almost barbaric (in the eyes of the G.S.I) ways.

SDI becomes the ISC. I.S.C is the Interstellar Consortium This alliance is different, composing of many different alien species collectively ruled and governed by one empire (and one species). This empire wasn't able to control the humans because reasons. Many general populace humans (not scientifically, of course) compare many of these species to earth-like ones, due to superficial similarities in appearances despite having no connection at all, and label them such.

Remember that people are human. It's natural to compare the unknown to the known, even if they have no relation. I highly doubt it will be different in the future. Sure, scientifically they may be "Paxis Vira Arrum," but most people will refer to them as "alien owls" because, at this point, they're new and they have some visual similarities to Earth owls. And the phrase "alien owls" builds a general concept faster and quicker than a completely new scientific classification and detailed description that isn't strictly necessary. Just keep this in mind.

But then again, the labels will likely only persist until the thing isn't new anymore, in which case they will be referred to by their common (different name). But description wise, it'd be best to start by saying, "The Paxis Vira Arrum, known commonly as the Pavlan, look superficially similar to the Earth order Strigiforme, earning them the nicknames 'Strigiforme' or 'owls'," than to jump right into the description and such, only for the reader to conclude that they look similar to owls. Best to get it out of the way.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:53 am

HXE is shorthand for Hexaguthian Empire, Hexalan Exion, Hexalan, New Exion, etc. EG, those orange guys (apparently mostly gals?) with the ballistics and the armor and the company.

However, that's just what it is in the RP, I don't care much what you do with it from here as long as they're orange, low-tech, and zerg-y.