Project Aurora

Anything about the game. Maps, mods, servers, etc.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Project Aurora

Post by Iv121 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Well as I had some stuff in school (obv studies :[ ) I didn't have time to keep working on it but now I have some free time on my hands. I was working for some time on project Aurora - an adventure map using vanilla minecraft and some good textures set in the future (Unlike most of those herobrine return or something maps that somehow begin to bore me in their art style). Aurora was a large military station set in the isolated system of Ross 248. You, the player, were an engineer stationed on board the station. And ofc as always something goes wrong - people go crazy, the station begins to fall apart. It is up to you now to reach the safety of the evac area and await the arrival of the UTD Noctuam ... Nothing is that simple isn’t it ?

Yea and also you will discover what went wrong with the labs on Aurora, find out in a dramatic twist that the SOF (Special Operations Fleet) ship UTD Noctuam (owl in Latin) is actually there to clean the mess by blowing up the station and have to fight on two fronts in order to save your butt and pretty much everyone who's still alive ... oh and did I mention there is a massage about a classy alien invasion ?

Here are a few pictures of some areas I've done (Yea it has a bit of horror feeling so brightness on moody, first time it's quite dark but later your eyes get used to it):
Spoiler:

The texture pack is a modified DarkMatter pack (32x32 if I recall correctly) which is a ME inspired texture pack, it doesn't look much like ME though and has definitely a unique feeling to it.

I do plan to put attention to the look of the map to make it immersive (As far as MC can get). In terms of gameplay I plan to have standard mob fighting, some well masked jumping puzzles (I don't like them being too obvious and instead want them to blend into the environment) as well as a few standard puzzles. I plan to add some redstone stuff and as I don't trust my talent I would probably ask people here or on the MC forums to help out. Stuff like a maze through the wrecked station decks towards a point for example - thing to vary gameplay and yet keep it immersive.

As I start working on it again it looks more and more big and I really need help from you guys to complete this. If we manage to get it right we can also use it to promote our mod, introduce a canon story for a change and attract attention to the mod !

IMPORTANT !

Setup a Hamachi network for you (it's gonna be laggy cosue you haven't volunteered to lend a better comp :[ ).

Network name: Iv_Aurora
Network password: frost

Server active between 18:00 GMT (15:00 EST) and 21:00 GMT (18:00 EST)
In order to join give me a shout over Hamachi

Texture pack: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tbdk8 ... hanced.zip
DON'T FORGET TO USE THE MCPATCHER OR OPTIFINE !

Last edited by Iv121 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:45 am, edited 26 times in total.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Re: Project Aurora

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri May 24, 2013 3:40 pm

YES.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:27 pm

I notice only one owl reference. This is a problem. Also, will there be a level on the ship? Or will it only be on the station?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri May 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Adventure maps?

I can do those, if you need a hand building let me know, I did something like this a while ago, but it wasn't vanilla so I never released it.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:19 am

Alright. First of all it was a while since I last worked on it so the texture pack needs to be converted into the new format (aka cut and paste all the images) and also we need to find out how animated textures work with this new format (simply how do we save those images - where and with which name). Actually it can also be nice if we figure the differences between MCpatcher texture system (which I currently use) and OptiFine one (if there are any)

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat May 25, 2013 3:01 am

Iv121 wrote:Alright. First of all it was a while since I last worked on it so the texture pack needs to be converted into the new format (aka cut and paste all the images)
McPatcher has a tool that converts old texture packs for you, download that and it will do it in 2 mins :)

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat May 25, 2013 3:29 am

The conversion was incomplete because they now prob use a new saving format for animated textures.

EDIT: Alright everything is working again. Animated textures are now supplied by MC itself so it won't matter if you get MCpatcher or optiFine anymore.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:27 am

Before we do anything I wonder how we plan to do it - working together on a server which would be easier to synch and help each other or make it separated which gives you the freedom of choice as to when to work on it and access to programs such as MCedit.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat May 25, 2013 6:35 am

A server would probably be a better idea, because otherwise you'll get everyone doing something different, and it'll be a nightmare to stick all the parts together, plus you can still use world edit on a server.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:49 am

Well considering there are sectors with such different art style it shouldn’t be much of a trouble, especially with the TP command ;) , I do agree it will be easier to synch and working together is more fun.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Alright I've setup a simple bukkit server with world edit through bukkit. Anyone who want to help is welcome, I'm currently toying around with the server so you can join in - Network ID: Iv_Aurora password: frost (yea you could guess it :tongue: , he draws inspiration ). After that you will need to connect to the game - it would be the network IP and the local MC server port: 25.211.58.157:25565.

Oh yea and don't forget to grab the texture pack ! http://www.mediafire.com/download/tbdk8 ... hanced.zip

I'll be glad if you join me in my work, help out with construction and also with the promotion of the mod with this map ! If you want to you can leave here the preferable online times, for now I ca leave the comp on most of the time in hope it can support let's say 3 -4 people online at a time. If not I'll ask my little bro if he can lend his comp which is better.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat May 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Really promising map, but connections a bit laggy.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat May 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Yea my comp and net are not the best. Anyone wants to help host the project ? If we really can't find anyone someone else can try to host the server.

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:49 pm

When I'm done with finals, I'd love to help!

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:03 am

Alright so who's ready to host the project ? Avenger maybe ?