Millenaire

Anything about the game. Maps, mods, servers, etc.
Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder
Re: Millenaire

Post by Tunnelthunder » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Smaller the death star was too big to be useful

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Tunnelthunder wrote:Smaller the death star was too big to be useful
You couldn't mount a superlaser that powerful in anything much smaller than that. In what way was it too large?
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:19 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
You couldn't mount a superlaser that powerful in anything much smaller than that. In what way was it too large?
It lost combat effectiveness due to its size

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Tunnelthunder wrote:
It lost combat effectiveness due to its size
How so? What couldn't it do? It was vulnerable to starfighters obviously, but so are ImpStars, and those are a hundred times smaller. It's somewhat ridiculous to suggest that the Death Star ought to be shrunk by a factor of a hundred, so I assume that's now what you mean.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Post by Avenger_7 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:04 am

Death Star II was very combat effective, in fact the Yuuzhan Vong would have hated it very much had it still been around when they invaded.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:48 am

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:How so? What couldn't it do? It was vulnerable to starfighters obviously, but so are ImpStars, and those are a hundred times smaller. It's somewhat ridiculous to suggest that the Death Star ought to be shrunk by a factor of a hundred, so I assume that's now what you mean.

Well, have you seen the powercore type thing in the movie? It's tiny. The laser itself can't need to be much bigger, seeing as all you are doing is pumping the energy into a laser/fusion which then goes into a laser. (Actually is it a laser or a blaster?) Anyways, most of the space is taken up by secondary things, like crew.

Now, the Sun Crusher is the size of a starfighter, invurnerable, and can kill a star.

(Also, when the Death Star exploded, shouldn't the reactor have gone critical? Then it would have killed the solar system.)
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:34 am

Avenger_7 wrote:Death Star II was very combat effective, in fact the Yuuzhan Vong would have hated it very much had it still been around when they invaded.
I'm willing to bet they'd infect the station with coral-stuff and dovin basals, and then the New Republic or whatever faction they'd be fighting would hate it very, very much.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:42 am

Jumbo eclipse.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Post by Avenger_7 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Tiel wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:Death Star II was very combat effective, in fact the Yuuzhan Vong would have hated it very much had it still been around when they invaded.
I'm willing to bet they'd infect the station with coral-stuff and dovin basals, and then the New Republic or whatever faction they'd be fighting would hate it very, very much.
I'm willing to bet they'd have a lot of trouble getting near it with all their ships getting sniped, and even if they did they would jut destroy it because it's a machine.

@Keon - There's a schematic for the laser shown in Episode II. It does so need that much space.
@AHC - The Ecplipse laser is only a fraction as powerful. It's weaker than the component beams of the Death Star.

Because this is LJS' thread, Star Wars is perfectly on topic xD

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:57 pm

Explain why it does so need that much space.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Heh, funny thing.

I don't think anyone else is familiar with it here, but le Darksaber was basically what you're saying Keon - just the deathray mechanism with minimal facilities with crew, and it still ended up quite large, if not sleeker and less than half the size of DS1.

The thing with the Deathstars is that they weren't practical. Nothing by the Empire was practical or sustainable in the slightest by any contemporary government. Really, a big ball with a laser to take out one (1) rebel base? If I didn't know better, operating off of that alone would lead me to make the assumption that Emperor Palpatine was intended to be a homage to King George III.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:28 pm

Wasn't it also made to combat the Vong?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:58 pm

ACH0225 wrote:Wasn't it also made to combat the Vong?
Nope.

And Avenger, if you're going to come running with your good Palpatine theory again please bring some proof to back it up this time.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Wow, lots of replies. I spend the better part of half an hour replying to them all, and then screwed up with one of the pictures and lost the entire thing. This is a slightly shortened version of what I originally had. >:|
Yeah. The DS1 couldn't destroy ships the same way the DS2 could (it didn't have the speed or accuracy), but the DS2 was an excellent weapon. In the New Jedi Order books, one of the Jedi (Who may have been Daesha'racor, but I'm too lazy to look it up) went looking for any old Imperial superweapons to throw at the Vong. She didn't find any. The one that Luke said he wanted was the Galaxy Gun, but I'm sure he would have settled for a Death Star.
Keon wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:How so? What couldn't it do? It was vulnerable to starfighters obviously, but so are ImpStars, and those are a hundred times smaller. It's somewhat ridiculous to suggest that the Death Star ought to be shrunk by a factor of a hundred, so I assume that's now what you mean.
Well, have you seen the powercore type thing in the movie? It's tiny. The laser itself can't need to be much bigger, seeing as all you are doing is pumping the energy into a laser/fusion which then goes into a laser. (Actually is it a laser or a blaster?) Anyways, most of the space is taken up by secondary things, like crew.

Now, the Sun Crusher is the size of a starfighter, invurnerable, and can kill a star.

(Also, when the Death Star exploded, shouldn't the reactor have gone critical? Then it would have killed the solar system.)
Well, I've got this Death Star schematic here.
Spoiler:
The radius of the Death Star was about 60 kilometers. Most of the rest of it is stuff for the power core. So they could probably have turned it into a cylinder shape, but it would still have to be about 60 kilometers long without the power core, so that really doesn't gain them very much.

The Sun Crusher was a more powerful weapon than the Death Star, but they do different things. Inducing a star to go nova is a different design challenge from blowing up a planet, and not necessarily a more useful thing to be able to do. The quantum-crystalline armor was a nice touch, but without it the Sun Crusher would have been a one use weapon.

As for the reactor, maybe? IIRC it's a hypermatter reactor, so who knows. Those aren't actually based on physics.
Tiel wrote:
They'd probably overgrow it completely with yorik coral and then fly it into Coruscant or some @#$%. The Vong are weird.
ACH0225 wrote:
Jumbo eclipse.
The Eclipse was much less powerful than the Death Star. Its superlaser could punch through a planet's crust, but there's no way it could destroy a planet in the same way the Death Star could.
Avenger_7 wrote:
Tiel wrote:
I'm willing to bet they'd have a lot of trouble getting near it with all their ships getting sniped, and even if they did they would jut destroy it because it's a machine.

@Keon - There's a schematic for the laser shown in Episode II. It does so need that much space.
@AHC - The Ecplipse laser is only a fraction as powerful. It's weaker than the component beams of the Death Star.

Because this is LJS' thread, Star Wars is perfectly on topic xD
They'd make it eventually. And once they did it would be very bad for the people inside. They were OK with fighting on other space stations, so they probably wouldn't have trouble with the Death Star.

Your other two points are correct. I may move this topic to Member's Lounge later, but it's not critical.
Keon wrote:Explain why it does so need that much space.
Done. See the schematics. It's @#$%ing huge.
Tiel wrote:Heh, funny thing.

I don't think anyone else is familiar with it here, but le Darksaber was basically what you're saying Keon - just the deathray mechanism with minimal facilities with crew, and it still ended up quite large, if not sleeker and less than half the size of DS1.

The thing with the Deathstars is that they weren't practical. Nothing by the Empire was practical or sustainable in the slightest by any contemporary government. Really, a big ball with a laser to take out one (1) rebel base? If I didn't know better, operating off of that alone would lead me to make the assumption that Emperor Palpatine was intended to be a homage to King George III.
The Darksaber was pretty sketchy. They managed to get it down to only a couple kilometers long, but it was a crappy Hutt build. The New Rebublic ultimately didn't sabotage it; it failed to work anyway.

For those who don't know, here's a picture of it:
Spoiler:
The Death Stars weren't really supposed to be practical. They were supposed to be terrifying. The Imperial war machine makes a lot more sense if you look at it though the lens of the Tarkin Doctrine. They wanted to have a fleet of Death Stars to be the final word in any war. Obviously that didn't happen, but you can see where they were going with it. The DS2 made more sense, really. Had it been fully operational when the Rebels attacked it (because whatever Palpatine may have said, it wasn't), they would have had a lot more trouble than they did. It didn't have any of the weaknesses that the DS1 did, or at least once it was finished it wouldn't have.
No, it was not.
Tiel wrote:
Nope.

And Avenger, if you're going to come running with your good Palpatine theory again please bring some proof to back it up this time.
Of course he was good! He was a great and brave leader who nobly sacrificed himself in an attempt to stop the terrorists who were trying to overthrow the government and conquer the galaxy!

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Back on the original topic, today I made a Norman Large Town. For those not familiar with Millenaire, that's a central town with three smaller hamlets around it. Individually they're worthless, but by trading amongst themselves they can build stuff. To do this, each of the hamlets starts with a Guest House, where merchants can stay. Like the Inn, no-one is supposed to live there permanently--the merchants stay for a few days, trade, and move on to another village.
Well, in my Ecclesiastic Hamlet, one of the village women grew up and moved into the Guest House. It has now completely stopped functioning as an Inn and lists the merchant who was staying there as her husband. Needless to say, this is not supposed to happen. I will be reloading the previous save and making another village, as there is no way to undo this and the village is now crippled. Y U NO LIVE IN NORMAL HOUSE LIKE SANE PERSON