Millenaire

Anything about the game. Maps, mods, servers, etc.
fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye
Re: Millenaire

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:34 am

Prototype wrote:It also has pretty much nothing to do with wolves.
If it did it would be called "Better than Wolves but we Also Have Wolves."

Also I agree with Tiel
Modloader and Forge are like that neat Canadian 2 dollar coin where the one piece fits inside the other.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:48 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Prototype wrote:It also has pretty much nothing to do with wolves.
If it did it would be called "Better than Wolves but we Also Have Wolves."

Also I agree with Tiel
Modloader and Forge are like that neat Canadian 2 dollar coin where the one piece fits inside the other.
Except that in this case Forge stole all of Modloaders functionality after Risugami refused to join their modpack. The part of Forge that I hate is the whole "We ask nicely for you to do what we want, but if you say no, we make a serious effort to kill your mod. No pressure" mentality, that seems to be exemplified in pretty much everything they do. I left the BTW forums because FlowerCHild is an asshole, but he's also absolutely right about Forge and Technic and all that related crap.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 pm

I think you've been listening to Flowerchild too long. The propaganda gets to your brain.

I call it as such because you cite no solid proof of your claims, and when interviewed Dong Princess said nothing of the sort, only citing fears of Tekkit overtaking his own mod. Don't get me wrong, Tekkit is a bloated mess of crap, but I think you're confusing that and Forge.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:20 pm

What do you mean they stole Modloader's functionality? I mean that seriously; I haven't been keeping up on any of that.

Do you mean it includes the same system hooks as modloader? It would be nice if everyone was on the same page and cooperative with keeping projects compatible, but if someone doesn't want to, that is their right.

However, it is a liability to leave your project at the mercy of a volatile library if the creator is not onboard with any changes you may require. If I didn't have a seat on the cubic chunks team, we would be using an in-house implementation of that chunk model.

Also, it's not like any of the things Risugami implemented are exactly unique intellectual property. It's mostly just a handful of well-placed engine hooks and some utilities to assist with reflection calls. Anyone with sufficient knowledge of the engine could reproduce it. The rules are kind of weird here, especially since neither project has any sort of liscense as far as I know, but I don't think it would be considered theft.

But I really don't know the details of the situation so I'm just speculating.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:32 pm

A Mod Dev wrote:
So why the change? There’s certain problems with Sim-U-Kraft causing crashes that I feel I can’t fix using the current system, Forge will help me fix them or not even cause them to happen in the first place. It helps the mod maker to organize and structure the mod a lot better, it even fixes a BIG bug still present in Risugami’s modloader.

I’ve been undecided about switching over to forge for some time, but I think the pros outweigh the cons..

Cons:

Block IDs will change causing your current SUK worlds not to work, all SUK blocks will disappear, so you’ll have to rebuild or start a new world.
You’ll have to remove Risugami’s modloader and install ForgeModloader instead. (FML will load BOTH kinds of mods, so if you have a mixture of forge and non-forge mods, FML will load them all up)

Pros:

Stability. All these crashes in SUK 0.8.x version will either be easily fixable or non-existant in the first place.
Compatibility with more mods, With modloader block Ids are 0 to 255 with very few spare now days, with Forge, they are 0 to 4096…ample, so no more clashes with other mods.
Multiplayer will probably work just fine, maybe not at first, but after adding a few new bits of program code
Due to the nice way it structures my program code, less programming code is needed and adding new features is easier.
Block IDs no longer scarce will mean I could add 100s of “Decoration blocks” to add a vast amount of variety to your buildings and you can share them with other players as they will have these blocks too.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Alright, so it looks like that is exactly what happened. Modloader was never updated to respect the extended block IDs in the Anvil specification, and any mods using it are SOL if they rely on Modloader. I'd say that is perfect justification for making an unofficial version of the loader, though I don't know why Risugami is being obstinant about not merging the changes into his own loader.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:11 pm

So are we using Forge now?
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:10 pm

No Forge. We're going to wreck the class structure, so Forge would just get in the way.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:33 pm

...My Millenaire village imported over twenty thousand birch wood logs in one night. What the hell are they planning to do with twenty thousand birch wood logs? O_O
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Build an effigy of you, then burn it to ashes.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 pm

They're obviously going to build a second village. Made entirely out of birch.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:44 pm

Nah, they are using it as support struts for the mining complex that is hollowing out the world, so they can turn it into a space station.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Tunnelthunder wrote:Nah, they are using it as support struts for the mining complex that is hollowing out the world, so they can turn it into a space station.
Speaking of which, have battleplanets been discussed at all?
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:05 pm

Keon wrote:
Tunnelthunder wrote:Nah, they are using it as support struts for the mining complex that is hollowing out the world, so they can turn it into a space station.
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Octavia wrote:
Keon wrote:
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
Like the Death Star, except BIGGER.
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson