Tiel's WIP Airships Server

Anything about the game. Maps, mods, servers, etc.
ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225
Re: Tiel's WIP Airships Server

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 am

Autocraft is a go as far as I know.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:37 am

It says I'm not white listed. Help?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:29 pm

Tiel wrote: If you're wondering why you can't get on, the server breakage crapped the whitelist out, so I'll need to reset that up.
As I said earlier, I was attempting to restore a backup on the control panel, which failed, but pretty much all config files were wiped in the process.

As far as autocraft, there doesn't seem to be as high an overhead compared to movecraft. However, I got to thinking (shocking, I know) about these proposed bridges, and a plugin I stumbled across not too long ago that lets factions create mobs that attack other factions. These can't be put on autocraft, as its ships don't support entity movement, but once the bridges are up and the associated capture points it'd be a very lucrative prospect to raise a small army of them (5-8) and go a'capping, perhaps raiding enemy bases along the route as well. Ships could be a donor bonus or something.

I'm not too confident with this concept, especially what happened last time I departed from my original goal of an airships server, but it certainly does seem like a pretty cool gameplay scheme for skylands without airships.
Last edited by Chairman_Tiel on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 pm

It was working last night after you said that.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:37 pm

The whitelist was disabled in server.properties for a time. No config files, remember? I had to re-enable it to stop anyone who got the IP from just logging in and wreaking havoc, I still need to setup the actual whitelist txt file itself.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Tiel wrote: As far as autocraft, there doesn't seem to be as high an overhead compared to movecraft. However, I got to thinking (shocking, I know) about these proposed bridges, and a plugin I stumbled across not too long ago that lets factions create mobs that attack other factions. These can't be put on autocraft, as its ships don't support entity movement, but once the bridges are up and the associated capture points it'd be a very lucrative prospect to raise a small army of them (5-8) and go a'capping, perhaps raiding enemy bases along the route as well. Ships could be a donor bonus or something.

I'm not too confident with this concept, especially what happened last time I departed from my original goal of an airships server, but it certainly does seem like a pretty cool gameplay scheme for skylands without airships.

It sounds like a nice idea for base defense, but offense sounds like a bad plan. Also, ships should not be a donor bonus, but shouldn't be the only option either. Small ships should be relatively easy to get ahold of, but big ships should be restricted to some degree. Maybe make wool relatively cheap, and then make larger ships need something more(can we make larger ships need iron too?). This would make people value huge ships, and therefore not risk them, leading to use of small ships and ground attacks.

As for bridges, they sound like an easy way to choke some one, which is a mixed blessing, and they should be able to be bombed. If they get bombed, it is up to a member to report it or fix it. Maybe bridges will repair themselves every night? As for other modes of travel, we could make a teleport service you have to pay for, or the enderdragon mod that allows ender dragons as transports.

Don't be afraid to depart some from the original airship theory, but keep it in mind when adding new things.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
Tiel wrote: As far as autocraft, there doesn't seem to be as high an overhead compared to movecraft. However, I got to thinking (shocking, I know) about these proposed bridges, and a plugin I stumbled across not too long ago that lets factions create mobs that attack other factions. These can't be put on autocraft, as its ships don't support entity movement, but once the bridges are up and the associated capture points it'd be a very lucrative prospect to raise a small army of them (5-8) and go a'capping, perhaps raiding enemy bases along the route as well. Ships could be a donor bonus or something.

It sounds like a nice idea for base defense, but offense sounds like a bad plan. Also, ships should not be a donor bonus, but shouldn't be the only option either. Small ships should be relatively easy to get ahold of, but big ships should be restricted to some degree. Maybe make wool relatively cheap, and then make larger ships need something more(can we make larger ships need iron too?). This would make people value huge ships, and therefore not risk them, leading to use of small ships and ground attacks.

As for bridges, they sound like an easy way to choke some one, which is a mixed blessing, and they should be able to be bombed. If they get bombed, it is up to a member to report it or fix it. Maybe bridges will repair themselves every night? As for other modes of travel, we could make a teleport service you have to pay for, or the enderdragon mod that allows ender dragons as transports.

Don't be afraid to depart some from the original airship theory, but keep it in mind when adding new things.
Well, either way there are going to be a network of bridges if I can help it, the whole mobs thing was just to expand on that and let factions battle each other more effectively utilizing them and add some strategic value to the capture points (which protect the bridges, by the way). Bear in mind that you can command the faction mobs as well, so they wouldn't be mindlessly charging the enemy ala DOTA, which is something of a mixed blessing.

I'd love to have airships in the mix as well on that particular game theme (the other one is just airships and bridges), but Faction Mobs is just as taxing as Autocraft or Movecraft what with the AI, and given that they couldn't ferry NPC troops around it would basically boil down to one or the other. I have a feeling that Mobs would only cater to a small demographic of the Minecraft community, so I'm going to stick with airships for now, but it's definitely something worth considering down the road.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Alright, I came to a conclusion on how this is going to work.

Faction points are on suspended platforms reachable only by airships. You capture them to gain periodic xp or moneys. You can snatch points from under other factions, but only if you're at war with them (to prevent the neutralitis that haunts all factions servers) Defenders are FactionMobs you can deploy on your points or on your territory, though they're indisputably more cost-effective on the former (you can't move them by airship).

ACH's town will be a donor city where ships can be docked and items bought at slightly lower rates. Regular users won't be able to enter that worldguard region. I might just scrap the idea of having three ports and just settle with the one for now, as work appears to have ceased on BSI. Altidor will probably have to be relocated.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun May 05, 2013 2:01 pm

bump?
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun May 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Cancelling server, will finish by myself and then rehost in a month or two. The whole purpose of this was to get some help, but that's slowed down to a trickle. So, see you in July xP
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Aww...
Only reason I wasn't on was because it was never up!
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sun May 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Tiel, you never ever have finished a successful server...
Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon May 06, 2013 3:57 am

Wonder if this autocraft would work with Flans? Because I am going to need a testing server for the SMP teams testing
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon May 06, 2013 12:33 pm

No. It does not keep track of entities on active craft. Movecraft does, but it has an exceptionally high overhead.

I'd also like to point out that until the Mod API is released all 'mod servers' die out rather quickly; if I were you I wouldn't bother until it gets packaged with 1.8 or something (at the rate Mojang is working at) and Flan's makes the switch.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]