Tiel's WIP Airships Server

Anything about the game. Maps, mods, servers, etc.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Tiel's WIP Airships Server

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Just started over. Nothing's set in stone, yet.

Altaris is a run-of-the-mill floating skytown, or whatever you want to call it. Fairly typical and rather bland, but extensive facilities.

Eos is coming soon.

Bucephalus is coming soon.

Finally, the IP is REDACTED.

Thankee.
Last edited by Chairman_Tiel on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Tiel's WIP Skylands Server

Post by hyperlite » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:10 pm

First.

JEDIT: This is a spam post. Don't do that.
Spoiler:

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Will the shipyards be private, as to prevent n00b hijackings? How about the economy, will there be shops or basic barter? /home and all that? Uhhhh...... Factions or Towny(I hope not Towny. It's bad).
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 am

ACH0225 wrote:Will the shipyards be private, as to prevent n00b hijackings? How about the economy, will there be shops or basic barter? /home and all that? Uhhhh...... Factions or Towny(I hope not Towny. It's bad).
I have a system in place where shipwrights (build docks) can be rented for a set period of time with money. In the duration of the 'rent', users will be the only ones able to get in; they would have to open the gate themselves to let others inside the shipwright.

The Economy at the moment...well, MobBounty is installed, so you get trivial amounts of coinage per kill. I also have signs set up in Lancaster for basic shipbuilding supplies.

I really like the way the lack of any teleportation commands affected the madrealms server, it worked pretty well. So likely no /home or /f home, just beds and such. I haven't quite decided on if /spawn should be disabled as well, or if it should cost money to teleport.

Neither. At the moment the server is using KFactions, the only difference being that you 'charge' your power using items instead of people. It's also possible to finetune permissions among members of a faction when you're its leader, though I haven't quite figured that out yet myself. Lastly, there is no faction chat, alliance chat, or enemies/allies. Instead, you have /f c <message> and anybody can attack anyone at any given time. The former is to prevent accidentally spilling faction secrets, the latter may be something of a liability.

Hyperlite's pointed out that people won't adapt so easily to KFactions as opposed to the normal plugin, but I think with time they'll get used to it. Other than that, Autocraft, the plugin I'm using for airships, does calculations a mite slower than Movecraft (which apparently is being developed exclusively for madrealms now) in order to prevent falling or ships falling apart midflight. But, on the flipside, it has built in TNT cannons, TNT bombs, and guidable TNT torpedoes. Each cost a significant amount of resources, though. Cannons require iron blocks, a dispenser, and 4 tnt per shot. Torpedoes are only available on the final two ship classes and require a diamond block, plus 8-some tnt. I haven't figured out bombs yet, though. The nice thing about that is there's an incentive to upgrade your ships to bigger hull sizes, rather than just reaching the midpoint and calling it quits. It gives the player a choice between a few extra blocks of speed, or 6 TNT cannons to absolutely devastate anything that comes near.

Finally, the last important thing worth noting is Duties plugin. I don't intend to have 'static' moderators that have to stay at spawn and can't participate in PvP for fear of cries of 'power abuse'. Instead, mods will just play as normal until someone /help's (aliased to /helpop). A that point, they would be expected to /duty to give full moderator permissions for a time and warp to the troublesome area and resolve whatever crap is going down. Then, back to normal. Mods would not be able to spawn any items in /duty mode, and would not be able to participate in PVP or anything like that, though I think invincibility is a safe bet if trouble occurs outside of the spawns.

I think that's all that's worth noting.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:13 am

Needs moar towns.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:18 am

catsonmeth wrote:Needs moar towns.
I'm going to operate on the assumption you aren't trolling, so please elaborate.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:02 am

I think he means there should be smaller towns sprinkled, as it were, between the main ones. Resupply points, or such like. Maybe also serve as temporary docking points?
And for shipbuilding, I'd suggest 2 things, if possible:
1. Ensure that no players except the rent payer to enter their dock as long as they've paid.
2. Have instructions for a very basic (almost prebuilt) boat for people in a hurry.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:26 am

Commander Error wrote:I think he means there should be smaller towns sprinkled, as it were, between the main ones. Resupply points, or such like. Maybe also serve as temporary docking points?
And for shipbuilding, I'd suggest 2 things, if possible:
1. Ensure that no players except the rent payer to enter their dock as long as they've paid.
Already covered. The way it works is that you pay 30$, which gives you temporary use perms for an area outside the actual building area that has a gate you open to gain entrance. There is a wooden pressureplate behind which in turn closes said gate automatically. Therefore, the only way for another player to gain entrance is by the user opening the gate himself to let him/her in.
Commander Error wrote: 2. Have instructions for a very basic (almost prebuilt) boat for people in a hurry.
That would be ideal. I've yet to find a place to put said boat, though :c
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 am

By the way on factions- can factions claim land based on power or members? (Or whatever.) Can they claim land at all?
If so, how far our from the towns do they need to be to claim?

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:20 am

Commander Error wrote:By the way on factions- can factions claim land based on power or members? (Or whatever.) Can they claim land at all?
If so, how far our from the towns do they need to be to claim?
You are not familiar with the Factions plugin?

The original bases it off of members whose 'power' and thus the overall faction's is determined by a max value that was decreased by dying. The variant my server runs bases faction power on a 'charge' mechanic; users may charge their faction power using items, how much depends on the value of them. And as in normal Factions, it's possible to override claims provided you have enough power.

As far as how far from each port, I've defined zones for each town, though 'warzones' can probably be created around each one that will offset possible claims by 50 blocks or more.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:22 am

wait movecraft is exclusively for madrealms???

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

other than that, will there be anything... futuristic involved or will it be all steampunk stuff, perhaps a special island for admins/ops or something.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 am

Movecraft is but one of a handful of plugins that provide pilotable ships. Basically, a group of people brought Movecraft from the hMod days to Bukkit, but then our pal ACJStriker started developing a new version and ended up getting sucked in by Madrealms. One of the devs from the original port now works on Autocraft, the plugin my server runs on.

And I don't intend to have anything futuristic or potentially gamebreaking like an admin-island. As I noted on the previous page, there will not be admins or OPs so much as normal players trusted to use optional powers appropriately.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:07 pm

I suggest using normal factions. Read the following scenario:

-Two enemy factions have equal power.

-One faction attacks the other, and kills all of them inside their base.

-In normal factions, the attackers could now claim over the base.

-In kfactions, the defenders will respawn and charge their power with their item supply, preventing gains by the attackers.

Basically, kfactions discourages raiding by limiting the potential rewards. I don't think that should be the goal of any PvP server.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Checked out the server, the towns seem good (if anything solace is too damn big)

a question thats slightly unrelated, Tiel, do you still have that Flan server, because I might need it at some point.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:I suggest using normal factions. Read the following scenario:

-Two enemy factions have equal power.

-One faction attacks the other, and kills all of them inside their base.

-In normal factions, the attackers could now claim over the base.

-In kfactions, the defenders will respawn and charge their power with their item supply, preventing gains by the attackers.

Basically, kfactions discourages raiding by limiting the potential rewards. I don't think that should be the goal of any PvP server.
Hmm. Something I can't blame you for forgetting, as I neglected to mention it in the first place, is that power behaves a lot differently than normal factions. Having greater power does not instantly equate into the ability to overpower another faction's claim to a chunk of land.
BukkitDev page for KFactions wrote: Your faction power serves two purposes. The first purpose is it prevents people from standing on your land and typing /f claim and thus stealing your land from you. If you faction power is zero then anyone can steal your land if they stand on it and execute the claim command.
I assume this means that no one can actually go on the land you're on until your faction power reaches 0, at which point they can just swipe your land using /f claim.

(Also, there is no power-per-member theme in KFactions. There's item charging, and that's it.)

Now Avenger, since I am psychic I know exactly what you are thinking right now.
Avenger's Brain wrote: Well Tiel, that doesn't rectify the problem I presented at all! Now people can't get on the land to begin with!
Another thing I forgot to talk about was TNT.
BukkitDev page for KFactions wrote: For each block that starts to break from an explosion a set amount of power is deducted and the block is prevented from breaking. So if you run out of faction power then explosions will start destroying your land. Of course you could build a nice border to your land so that explosions can not reach your base, but then your enemy is going to attempt to use a cannon to launch the explosive charge into your base.
So TNT can be used to reduce a faction's power very rapidly.

"But gee, TNT cannons are so expensive to build!", you might say.

Well, as you might recall, there is another plugin installed that provides very...accessible cannons for explosives. It's called Autocraft, and they are installed on ships. You see where I'm going with this? But, as you might also remember or otherwise search up, they require iron blocks. So for a new faction, waging war is hardly ideal. This provides a stigma to being some warmongering band of dbags from the getgo, which is ideal if we want a more 'friendly community' then that of an anarchy server (trust me, I've been on one, their maps end up looking like s**t.)

Anyway, the most practical way to assault the base of someone who's getting on your nerves would be to first unleash a barrage of TNT cannons from your airships, quickly reducing the power to 0, and then claiming the land, rather than having to figure out a way inside and then getting one's hands all dirty spawncamping and such. In addition, since power is based on items rather than the amount of deaths your members have, PVP is much more feasible for factions with less members where even one guy going in the negative can be detrimental. And on account of the item power charge and decay system, there's now a use for all those stacks of cobble lying around in a base, and players will be forced to decide betwix creating more powerful implements of war or creating a more powerful claim to their land!

I hope that explains my choice a little more. I'm still open to using normal factions, so feel free to present a rebuttal C:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]