Tiel's WIP Airships Server

Anything about the game. Maps, mods, servers, etc.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Re: Tiel's WIP Skylands Server

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Prototype wrote:Checked out the server, the towns seem good (if anything solace is too darn big)

a question thats slightly unrelated, Tiel, do you still have that Flan server, because I might need it at some point.
The Flan's server is my desktop computer, so yes, I do have it. But internet at home is out at the moment, so I hope you don't need it this week.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Well, I did not know that.

I guess we better TNT test the server.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:Well, I did not know that.

I guess we better TNT test the server.
Kaboom.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 pm

When I get home, please. Can't actually get on the server right now on account of the school webfilter.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:45 pm

There are ways of getting around these things. I had a nerdy friend violently murder disable it in my highschool C:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Funny thing. I can log in to minecraft just fine, and in fact, the Student wireless network lets you do practically everything, including connect, but the district resigns those that bring our own laptops to the public network, that, for some unforseeable reason, has a majority of the internet strictly blocked in proportion.

Well, be grateful for the small blessings. At least the school has internet that's free, too.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Usually schools have a way of letting you log in to their private network that only students can access. ie, my university requires you to log in with your student ID and password and my highschool had the password hidden on their webpage. You logged in to the site with your school login, and you could use the proper wireless.

If both of these fail, try talking to the principal about it or the teacher in charge of IT.

Oh, a couple more things about the server...

-make the 0,0 port the main one. It's the most central location, so it should be the initial spawn and commerce hub.
-instead of using the imported city, host a community flash build
-Give me rough coords for the other ports and I'll find places to build them.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:02 pm

There is no 0,0 port, there's just a buoy there. Lancaster is a few hundred blocks out. I'm hesitant to not use Solace after going through the trouble of merging it with the world. A community flash build for Solace would likely consist of adding interiors to the buildings and generally spicing it up so it doesn't look like what it actually is (Solitude from Skyrim import). As far as initial spawn, I don't really have much in the way of control of that, and to be blunt I kinda like it random so the playerbase gets spread out a little more.

The other ports, uh, I haven't quite drawn up the diagram I promised I would yet, sorry. The one I have only accounts for the 3200 block limit instead of 5000, and thus only has 3 locations marked.

I already tried to talk to the IT people, and they told me to use Public.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:18 pm

I was talking about the stated location for Macross. Also, I think Lancaster needs a few more docks and possible some testificates. You also may want to make the docks more accessible so there is room for more boats.

My last gripe, is that the tutorial needs to be explained like the player is 5 and the area needs to be finished. Also explain about kfactions.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:I was talking about the stated location for Macross. Also, I think Lancaster needs a few more docks and possible some testificates. You also may want to make the docks more accessible so there is room for more boats.

My last gripe, is that the tutorial needs to be explained like the player is 5 and the area needs to be finished. Also explain about kfactions.
Macross has a location, haven't gotten around to copy/pasting the structure I made in SSP into the server. Putting it at 0,0 would make it too close to Lancaster, which kinda defeats the point IMO.

The tutorial was finished last night, I believe, and there was stuff about KFactions in it, and I also made the docks better. There isn't as much room for boats as say, Port Dawn, but then again there won't be nearly as much stress on it on account of there being four other ports. I realize your ideal concept of their locations is in an X formation, but I find from previous experience that sporatic and seemingly random organization tends to be more aestheticly appealing and authentic than uniform positioning.

I agree with you, though, the tutorial could use more beef. Yesterday I was kinda scared that it would end up like Madrealm's walls upon walls of signs that no one bothers to read anyway, so I cut it short. It can be extended through the citadel more, I believe.

Why testificates, though...? Emeralds are going to be extremely rare due to it being Skylands, so not really a trade factor to consider. I can add NPCs back in, but they seem pretty resource intensive.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:39 pm

I'd also suggest a flash build. Give everyone a place and some dimensions, then go through and edit them afterwards to make them closer to what you want.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:43 pm

A flash build has already been confirmed, if I remember right I explicitly mentioned the prospect of planning one in the OP.

Just need to find a time where anyone willing to participate can be online.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Airship tutorial needs more beef. Explanations about ship types and specifically cannons, bombs and torpedoes.

If players want to trade, they CAN convert zombie villagers. I'm thinking more along the lines of making it feel less empty.

I checked out Solace. It's way too big and confusing.

I hate snow biomes too, but that's just me.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:Airship tutorial needs more beef. Explanations about ship types and specifically cannons, bombs and torpedoes.

If players want to trade, they CAN convert zombie villagers. I'm thinking more along the lines of making it feel less empty.

I checked out Solace. It's way too big and confusing.

I hate snow biomes too, but that's just me.
Yes.

I dunno. Testificates might look a little out of place...NPC plugin might be ideal for that role.

I know it's a bit big, but I don't understand how the layout is confusing. It's open to modification whenever we begin building, anyway.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:36 pm

NPC plugin probably works best.

Solace just doesn't fit well. There's no port area, no sense of "go-this-way", and it's in 4 different biomes. it's needlessly large, and easy to get lost in if you don't know your way around. I honestly think we need to rebuild it almost from scratch.