Help Texturing Weapons

Anything about the game. Maps, mods, servers, etc.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
Help Texturing Weapons

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Hello, everyone. I am attempting to create a vaguely future-themed content pack, which for the moment will add only weapons and parts because I don't have any models to make into vehicles yet. Unfortunately, I am completely incapable of making weapon icons that don't look awful. So, I'm asking the Internet for help. Always a bad sign, but what can you do. I already have the mod files for these weapons, but I need artwork.

I need icons for:
An assault rifle: Kinda generic futuristic assault rifle. It is a projectile weapon, so no weird laser-ends or whatever. Think about the assault rifle from Halo.

A pistol: Also a projectile weapon. Fairly normal.

A sniper rifle: This could be either a projectile or energy weapon, I'm not sure. Again, think about the one in Halo.

A rocket launcher: Also like the one in Halo. It has one barrel, with another bit kinda wrapped around it that holds three more rockets.

A grenade launcher: More or less like the MGLs that are used today.

Possibly more weapons as time goes on, I'm not sure.

The guns should be at least sorta futuristic, which pretty much just means no wood. Other than that you're fine.

If you can create iron sights for these guns too, I'd appreciate it. That's a rather more serious job, so it's not strictly necessary, but it'd be nice.

I feel like I had something else to say, but now I can't remember what it was. I'll be putting this request on a couple other forums too. Anyone who helps will get both my personal thanks (a princely reward, I know, but you deserve it. :-P) and their name listed in the content pack credits, once there's a pack to have credits. Either post in this thread or PM me if you've got textures, please.

Sincerely,
Last_Jedi_Standing
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Help Texturing Weapons

Post by cats » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 pm

I made this sniper's rifle icon in paint. It's 32x32.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
This is a... Thing. Grenade launcher maybe?
Spoiler:
Pistol that I made a few seconds ago
Spoiler:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 pm

That sniper rifle's pretty sweet. I'll definitely use it. :D The other two are kinda strange. They are supposed to be pretty normal projectile weapons, so they seem a bit... overly elaborate? I'm not sure. They're interesting skins, but they don't really fit what I'm going for. The grenade launcher thing might be useful as a concept for the accelerated antimatter pulser, but it's not what I wanted for the MGL. Props for the sniper though. Do you want to be listed as catsonmeth in the credits?

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:02 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:That sniper rifle's pretty sweet. I'll definitely use it. :D The other two are kinda strange. They are supposed to be pretty normal projectile weapons, so they seem a bit... overly elaborate? I'm not sure. They're interesting skins, but they don't really fit what I'm going for. The grenade launcher thing might be useful as a concept for the accelerated antimatter pulser, but it's not what I wanted for the MGL. Props for the sniper though. Do you want to be listed as catsonmeth in the credits?
That'd be good. I'll try to make an assault rifle. No promises, it'll probably come out looking like that pistol.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:06 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:That sniper rifle's pretty sweet. I'll definitely use it. :D The other two are kinda strange. They are supposed to be pretty normal projectile weapons, so they seem a bit... overly elaborate? I'm not sure. They're interesting skins, but they don't really fit what I'm going for. The grenade launcher thing might be useful as a concept for the accelerated antimatter pulser, but it's not what I wanted for the MGL. Props for the sniper though. Do you want to be listed as catsonmeth in the credits?
That'd be good. I'll try to make an assault rifle. No promises, it'll probably come out looking like that pistol.
The weapons are inspired pretty heavily by (not to say directly taken from) Halo, so think about those weapons and you should have a pretty good idea what my vision for it is. :D

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Done with the AR.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:47 pm

catsonmeth wrote:Done with the AR.
Cool. It is kinda like the pistol, but not too much so. I'm not sure I'll use it as an AR, though. I was vaguely thinking about a kinda medium-long range weapon, that's totally not the Battle Rifle from Halo, and I think it would work for that. One question, though - all your textures are a kinda awkward medium size. Minecraft doesn't like textures that aren't powers of two, so they need to be 16x16 or 32x32 (or more, if needed). Now, obviously they don't have to fill up the whole space, but your textures are too big for 16x16 but small enough that they don't look good in 32x32. They look small. The grenade launcher fits in 16x16 and is about the right size - It's actually 15x15, which means it fills up the space but doesn't look awkwardly square. Most vMC items are like that. But the pistol and AR are 20-somethingx20-something, and the sniper rifle is 33x32.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:30 am

You should really try to do it yourself. Use black for the borders and a lighter color in the middle, this usually gives you a nice result on mc items. Make it smooth, move either diagonal or straight. Making straight lines on your diagonal object will create some nice looking diagonal lines, overall it is not that complicated :).
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:56 am

Iv121 wrote:You should really try to do it yourself. Use black for the borders and a lighter color in the middle, this usually gives you a nice result on mc items. Make it smooth, move either diagonal or straight. Making straight lines on your diagonal object will create some nice looking diagonal lines, overall it is not that complicated :).
I have tried to do it myself, many times. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be asking the Internet for help.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:08 am

Hmmm I could do with some more weapon icons for the FC pack, and these seem better than anything I have drawn so far, and also I can get more of the models done if I don't have to take care of the weapon icons.

Could I use a few of these icons (I need 16x16 textures though), so they fit with the rest of the pack.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:41 am

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Iv121 wrote:You should really try to do it yourself. Use black for the borders and a lighter color in the middle, this usually gives you a nice result on mc items. Make it smooth, move either diagonal or straight. Making straight lines on your diagonal object will create some nice looking diagonal lines, overall it is not that complicated :).
I have tried to do it myself, many times. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be asking the Internet for help.
Considering the fact it's like half of the job that content pack thing might not be for you in the first place :[.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:46 am

Iv121 wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Considering the fact it's like half of the job that content pack thing might not be for you in the first place :[.
I assure you that I am aware of that.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:51 am

what program are you using to make the icons, i would reccomend Paint.net
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Prototype wrote:what program are you using to make the icons, i would reccomend Paint.net
That's what I'm using.