Mine & Blade: Commander

Anything about the game. Maps, mods, servers, etc.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Mine & Blade: Commander

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:24 am

Recently glanced over this mod while poking around in the WIP Mods section on the Minecraft Forums, discovered it's multiplayer!

Judging by a lot of people liking strategy and such, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting a M&B tourney or something of that nature, to pit our tactical prowess against one another.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: Mine & Blade: Commander

Post by Iv121 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:51 am

You mean the old part where you had like guards to control who pointlessly follow you in or hold position ? I guess it ill be as successful as a claymen tourney (which is possible as far as I know).
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 am

MCForum OP wrote: Starting with alpha 6, Mine & Blade: Commander has the ability to set up multiplayer games. When started (using the command /mb-start) all players will be randomlly assigned a team (right now it is only red & yellow). Players will only be able to spawn & control soldiers of their own colour. Soldiers will also attack other soldiers on different teams (also players not in creative mode). Games can be ended by the command /mb-end.
Games are saved when you save a world and if you log on then off again you will be placed in the same team (Unless a new game has started). The mod will also attempt to keep the number of players even when new players log on.

Commands:
/mb-start : Starts a new Team Based Game
/mb-end : Ends current team based game
/mb-restart : ends current game and starts a new game (reshuffling teams)

Your current team symbol is displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen. The symbol of the team that another player is on will be displayed above their name. This will only be displayed if you have the Mine & Blade: Coremod (correctly) installed.

In the future I will add the ability for the host to determine which teams are avaliabe, the optional ability for all players to select teams and a way to convert flags of different colours into your colour (this is the reason red & yellow were chosen)
I'd imagine it's a bit more complex. It doesn't seem to have much purpose in singleplayer, which is why I'm so eager to play against someone.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:18 am

Oh you mean with human players. I think it's a shame he is not developing the AI guards anymore.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:24 am

No, it is with AI. You are assigned to a team of NPCs and command them.

Not much point in singeplayer where the only opposition are the blandest monsters in existence, but in multiplayer...well, the possibilities are nigh endless! :D
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:18 pm

But... there's nothing to do. The person who has the most upgraded guys is the winner. It's a competition decided by who can mine gold the fastest. It's not like Clay Soldiers, where there are hundreds of combinations that affect stuff differently, and complicated stuff with different weapons and stuff. Mine and Blade has exactly six different soldiers, because although there are several hundred thousand visual variations, every Militia is exactly the same, regardless of what weapons or armor they have. It's a great mod, but if you think it makes Minecraft a strategy game then you're sorely mistaken.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Clay soldiers have indeed more tactical variation and they are not tactically variant at all. Best I can think of is tower-defence style game. Actually half of Starcraft is about getting recourses faster so we are on the right way :) .

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:But... there's nothing to do. The person who has the most upgraded guys is the winner. It's a competition decided by who can mine gold the fastest. It's not like Clay Soldiers, where there are hundreds of combinations that affect stuff differently, and complicated stuff with different weapons and stuff. Mine and Blade has exactly six different soldiers, because although there are several hundred thousand visual variations, every Militia is exactly the same, regardless of what weapons or armor they have. It's a great mod, but if you think it makes Minecraft a strategy game then you're sorely mistaken.
Think about real war. The guy with the best weapons, the guy who can collect money from his citizens the fastest, always wins, unless the opposition can outmaneuver him. Mine & Blade adds soldiers, a means to upgrade them, and multiple ways to maneuver them. Strategic elements. Strategic game.

I can understand you don't want to play M&B:C out of some misdirected ire for Minecraft SMP, but please, if you have no intention of doing so do not post in the thread made for it.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:03 pm

I'm in.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Tiel wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:But... there's nothing to do. The person who has the most upgraded guys is the winner. It's a competition decided by who can mine gold the fastest. It's not like Clay Soldiers, where there are hundreds of combinations that affect stuff differently, and complicated stuff with different weapons and stuff. Mine and Blade has exactly six different soldiers, because although there are several hundred thousand visual variations, every Militia is exactly the same, regardless of what weapons or armor they have. It's a great mod, but if you think it makes Minecraft a strategy game then you're sorely mistaken.
Think about real war. The guy with the best weapons, the guy who can collect money from his citizens the fastest, always wins, unless the opposition can outmaneuver him. Mine & Blade adds soldiers, a means to upgrade them, and multiple ways to maneuver them. Strategic elements. Strategic game.

I can understand you don't want to play M&B:C out of some misdirected ire for Minecraft SMP, but please, if you have no intention of doing so do not post in the thread made for it.
In a war, or in any other RTS, there are more than six units. This mod contains, at the moment: Militia, Men at Arms, Pikemen, Spearmen, Knights, and Sellswords. You can have those six units stand where they are, follow you, or go to another block, with a limit of fifty blocks. These units do not have any sort of bonus against each other; that is, there aren't any of the counters that are normally used in an RTS or similar game. You can't use flanking, or cover, or high ground, or really any form of tactics, because this is Minecraft and the NPCs don't do that. The only sort of tactic you can use with allied NPCs is to set them to follow you and then run at the enemy until they get close enough to fight, at which point your soldiers will kill the other soldiers at a one-to-one ratio, until the number of soldiers the loser had has been subtracted from the number of soldiers the winner had, plus the number you killed. If you're by yourself, you can shoot the enemy soldiers with a bow, which they will have no defense against. You will kill them until you run out of arrows. You say "I imagine it's a bit more complex", but no, it isn't. You're certainly welcome to try to organize a tournament if you wish to, but I am telling you now that this mod is not what you seem to think it is.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm in.
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:52 pm

You're making this assumption that the term strategy game equates to an RTS. I've known plenty of strategy games with 6, or even less, units.

Listen Jedi, I don't like getting angry, as it makes others pretty mad in turn. That's why I left chat last night. I respect your refusal to play minecraft multiplayer, but you're going to have to respect my request to not clutter this thread with the ultimately pointless argument you're trying to start here.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Tiel wrote:You're making this assumption that the term strategy game equates to an RTS. I've known plenty of strategy games with 6, or even less, units.

Listen Jedi, I don't like getting angry, as it makes others pretty mad in turn. That's why I left chat last night. I respect your refusal to play minecraft multiplayer, but you're going to have to respect my request to not clutter this thread with the ultimately pointless argument you're trying to start here.
1. Sounds fun, I'm in.
2. There's a chat on this forum?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *