I'm sorry but this is a question I must ask

Anything about the game. Maps, mods, servers, etc.

Is there a mass exodus from Minecraft?

Yes. Minecraft is slowly dying.
54%
No. Minecraft is doing just fine.
46%

Total votes: 13

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank
I'm sorry but this is a question I must ask

Post by CommanderKobialka » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:01 am

Many of my friends have said that they've noticed a mass exodus from Minecraft. The older player base of teens and adults, specifically the ones on PC, are leaving. I must admit I rediscovered Minecraft last week after not playing for about two months. As far as I know the Xbox player base is actually growing. Thoughts? Is this even true in your opinion? If so, what game will replace it?
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Re: I'm sorry but this is a question I must ask

Post by Shadowcatbot » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:11 am

Minecrafts doing fine, people are probably just moving to mod packed servers and such more.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:19 am

I stopped playing for fun about...a year back? Everything from that point was just making servers. I haven't even touched 1.7 to any degree, much less 1.7.9 (latest, rite?) The problem is, at least in my opinion, that Minecraft is at its core a novelty game. There's absolutely nothing to keep coming back for once you've done the same shit hundreds of times (see: SMP) or built everything in your mind's eye. Which, honestly, is kind of a silly defense of the title - if I genuinely wanted to create something I'd pull out a notepad or fire up 3DS MAX where my creations will at least have some relevance outside a group that seems to be increasingly comprised of preteens.

I suppose there's also the factor that many of those who find themselves in a similar boat were on the cusp of young adulthood. It's been about 5 years since the first MC release. I think most are just outgrowing it in the same fashion one might move on from LEGOs or action figure collecting. That said, I've recently noticed a ton of freshmen talking about Minecraft 360 or watching videos of it...if I had to guess that's probably because of the convenience factor. Even after 8 post-release iterations MC still is very much a demanding game.

Minecraft is doing pretty well for itself at the moment but I can't see it being the next Halo PC in terms of community longevity. Mods are really a temporary solution that only serve to obfuscate the problem instead of rectifying it, more often than not actually being overzealous in their attempts to make the tech tree as contrived as possible. I think TFC did a really nice job of at least making a token effort to solving the underlying issue, but like many mods the lack of a unified API and easy installation means it doesn't get the popularity it deserves at large. Will any game replace it? No, probably not. Most of them with similar characteristics suffer from the same pitfalls, that is, too reliant on repetition and novelty saving the day.

PS: When I say 'easy installation' I know you might point out Forge is pretty easy to deploy these days, but I'm not really talking about that. The fact of the matter is the process of installing a third party app to even think about grabbing addons is something that shouldn't even be there. It's basically this giant ridge that deters a lot of people from going into it. Consider for a moment that games like TF2 don't even have this; I could go into a modded server without even knowing it because everything is handled from the background. It's nice to know the Plugin API Mojang's been promising for at least two years now is finally coming to fruition, but I think it may be too little, too late. MC is reaching about full market saturation at this point so it's really only a handful of people that will be benefiting from that framework the most.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:29 am

I quite like the blend of mods on the monorisu server (read: mechs, fighter jets and Bolters), but the last time I ever played seriously on a sever was, well ages ago. And I don't think of it as a creative game there, more like an war game.

If it wasn't for Flan's I'd have probably stopped playing long ago.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:37 am

Clearly, the world needs FC RTS now. Maybe when Proto finally tires of flans(?), he can help Tiel with models?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 am

._.

Not sure if srs.
Last edited by Chairman_Tiel on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:14 am

Jeb has been driving the game into the ground for long enough that people are starting to notice.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 am

I think that Minecraft is still alive, at least in the sense of what we need for FC.
Most players have become bored and only play MC infrequently.
However, I guess they still consider themselves 'Minecraft Players' somehow and something completely new, like Futurecraft, may be what it needs to re-awaken those sleeping masses and put Minecraft back on the throne it belongs onto.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:19 pm

I stopped touching anything Minecraft after they got the new launcher.
I guess I could get back into playing it if I bought the game.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:40 pm

Well prob is that ppl were obsessively playing it for long periods of times, it is only natural you can't play so much of it, you take a break and come back to it after a while, and even if MC is slowly dying isn't it natural for a game that old ? Though an interesting fact is that contrary to what you veterans of MC feel (as the result of the phenomenon on top) there are more and more ppl buying MC and those who bought it around release are apparently not tired of it yet.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:09 pm

Iv121 wrote:Though an interesting fact is that contrary to what you veterans of MC feel (as the result of the phenomenon on top) there are more and more ppl buying MC and those who bought it around release are apparently not tired of it yet.
Iv, you can't just wander into a thread and say everyone in it is wrong. You have to provide evidence and support for such an assertion.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Kzin wrote:
Iv121 wrote:Though an interesting fact is that contrary to what you veterans of MC feel (as the result of the phenomenon on top) there are more and more ppl buying MC and those who bought it around release are apparently not tired of it yet.
Iv, you can't just wander into a thread and say everyone in it is wrong. You have to provide evidence and support for such an assertion.
You clearly don't know Iv.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Did I say anyone was wrong ? Did I even say everyone was wrong ? You asked my opinion I gave it, I wonder how you even dare to bash my opinion specifically out of all those many opinions that also say that MC is not on decline.

And you Daynel, don't know ? Do you claim I didn't play MC ?I played at least as long as most of you.

Moreover how do you want me to provide evidence for something that even the best gaming analytics don't know ? Such is the question you asked, though as a proof to some of my words it is a fact that MC is still selling well on all platforms, yes its not at its peak and nothing compared to release sells but considering the game was released some time ago it is a well respectable figure, MC is a true long-liver all around.
Last edited by Iv121 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Iv121 wrote:And you Daynel, don't know ? Do you claim I didn't play MC ?I played at least as long as most of you.
I don't claim that, I claim that LJS doesn't know you, if he thinks you can't just wander into a thread and say everyone in it is wrong.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Well you tell me if I said everyone here is wrong, it is physically impossible as there are people from both sides or in other words no matter what side I choose I will have someone with me, moreover I chose the most popular side in this debate through not because its popular (You know well I don't give a crap about the popularity of my opinion), in other words no matter how you turn it around LJS you're in the wrong here.