I'm sorry but this is a question I must ask

Anything about the game. Maps, mods, servers, etc.

Is there a mass exodus from Minecraft?

Yes. Minecraft is slowly dying.
54%
No. Minecraft is doing just fine.
46%

Total votes: 13

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder
Re: I'm sorry but this is a question I must ask

Post by Error » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:37 am

Infinite sandbox strategy?

Shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Many have tried, many have failed...the big problem here is that there's an issue of quality that comes with procedurally generated worlds. Minecraft got away with this by Notch's retroactive insistence the art style is supposed to be retro, but standards are raising and excuses like that aren't going to cut it anymore, at least not to the degree that it has.

This is really only compounded by something I'm discovering the hard way nowadays - strategy games are an absolute pain in the ass to make art assets for, because in order to have something as visually appealing (gameplay aside) as starcraft everything needs to have its own little niche design. Consider SC2's Terran faction and just how different the Marauder looks and functions compared to its contemporaries in other games. It's not like everyone doesn't know Generic Missile Dude gets a bit boring after the first two factions, but often that's really what it boils down to because coming up with interesting designs isn't the easiest thing in the world.

So what you have is a type of game that struggles with artistic variation and a genre that is extremely lackluster without it. Very hard to pull off, but I totally agree it'd be something. I know I kickstarted this MMORTS called Novus Aeturno a while back; anxiously waiting to see how that turns out.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Depends, if the gameplay is excellent, that should cover for if the art isn't fantastic, but it would definitely give a massive advantage.

And anything with a good API for player made content, I mean minecfaft would be a fucktonne more boring if there were not any mods, and the ones that are present Mpjang don't seem to give a flying shit about (I mean seriously, mod API is the best thing they can do here, better than fucking horses). I mean Flan's mod is only as big as it is because of the player made content, it was always a prominent mod, but when Manus started making content it pretty much doubled in popularity.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:25 pm

CommanderKobialka wrote:If I went back in time to myself three years ago, and told myself that in three years, I would no longer be obsessed with Minecraft, my thirteen year old self would be like "wtf am I going to do with my life?". Here I am now... Anyone else thinking the same?
I know that feel exactly. Minecraft was pretty much my entire highschool experience. Now I'm looking for a wife and talking with Hungarian Nationalists, go figure.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:46 pm

NotPrototype wrote:Depends, if the gameplay is excellent, that should cover for if the art isn't fantastic, but it would definitely give a massive advantage.

And anything with a good API for player made content, I mean minecfaft would be a fucktonne more boring if there were not any mods, and the ones that are present Mpjang don't seem to give a flying shit about (I mean seriously, mod API is the best thing they can do here, better than fucking horses). I mean Flan's mod is only as big as it is because of the player made content, it was always a prominent mod, but when Manus started making content it pretty much doubled in popularity.
Lets make a mod for our content for a mod for minecraft.

Thats like 8x popularity modifier, 16x if we make content for the mod of the content of the mod of minecraft.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]