SPACE TRAVEL

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye
Re: SPACE TRAVEL

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:03 pm

Quantum Entanglement is possible, but the spin of particles cannot be manipulated in a way that is meaningful to data transmission. Observing an entangled particle forces its pair out of superposition, but you can't detect when this happens without observing it.

Light getting absorbed and re-emitted through a medium is the cause of light scattering, but non-scattered light is a completely different effect.
Finally found a video explaining it
Spoiler:
One other thing is that even with conventional physics, it is not impossible for a particle to move faster than light, or at least it doesn't contradict Special Relativity. However, a superluminal particle would not be able to slow down to sub-light speeds. If it encountered a sub-light particle it would likely pass right through it.

addseo2015
Recruit
Recruit

Post by addseo2015 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 am

Didn't physics stop being conventional at the point they discovered subatomic particles? now it's just metaphors and weird semi-existent stuff.

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:57 am

mattihase wrote:Didn't physics stop being conventional at the point they discovered subatomic particles? now it's just metaphors and weird semi-existent stuff.
Congratulations, you win the Internet.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:47 am

No. That's Quantum Physics, where nothing really is certain. Classical (Conventional) Physics still stand people.

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Post by CommanderKobialka » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:08 am

I might be getting this completely wrong but what's the point of slowing down light just so you can go faster than it?
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:14 am

I was using the term conventional physics to mean the models which have experimental evidence backing their validity, as opposed to shot-in-the-dark physics like string theory. And quantum mechanics isn't metaphors, it's just drastically dumbed down to the point of being straight lies when people try to explain it. But there is a mountain of evidence to support the fact that, weird as it may be, the QM model does accurately describe how our Universe works.
CommanderKobialka wrote:I might be getting this completely wrong but what's the point of slowing down light just so you can go faster than it?
Yeah, that's backwards. You would want to increase the speed limit to go faster.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:25 am

Well physics never strives to understand how the universe works, that would be dumb, they only explain what they see, when they see more they adjust their description.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:34 am

Eventually I think we will uncover a "why" better than "because the math checks-out", but for now we still need to focus on working out the "what" half of things.
The discrepancy between gravity and the other 3 forces is top on that list, in my book. I have the feeling there is something significant hiding behind that.