SPACE TRAVEL

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Re: SPACE TRAVEL

Post by cats » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:36 am

Well, In theory, it would take about two kilograms of mass squished into a singularity to form another universe. All we need to do is compress it until it's the size of a proton then shove it out of our universe. Not a simulation, but hey, it's a mini-universe.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:46 am

CommanderKobialka wrote:i read an interesting book about humanity being a computer program. one day the program was updated and all of humanity changed into a something else. the people looked and acted very different. there were a few people that were considered "obsolete strings of code" and were left alone, hunted by the antivirus program if they touched anything electronic. it was an interesting idea.
Sounds like they basically ripped off The Matrix.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Post by CommanderKobialka » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Vergere wrote:
CommanderKobialka wrote:i read an interesting book about humanity being a computer program. one day the program was updated and all of humanity changed into a something else. the people looked and acted very different. there were a few people that were considered "obsolete strings of code" and were left alone, hunted by the antivirus program if they touched anything electronic. it was an interesting idea.
Sounds like they basically ripped off The Matrix.
perhaps
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

addseo2015
Recruit
Recruit

Post by addseo2015 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:54 am

Did you know that a scale replica of the universe the size of a tennis ball would be completely empty because nothing's big enough to even scale down to the size of an atom (I'm not sure about subatomic particles or photons). Read about this in an irregular web comic annotation and it seemed legit.

How do you get something outside the universe without it being part of the universe? I'm assuming either very fast ftl or instant teleport that doesn't require matter or energy at the reviving end, after all the universe is pretty empty and that stuff isn't even there until something goes into it or something.
Why is teleport not in chrome's dictionary? you'd think by now it would be.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:15 am

mattihase wrote: Why is teleport not in chrome's dictionary? you'd think by now it would be.
It is a mystery. There are a ton of words I've found which aren't in chrome's dictionary, but I never bothered to write them down. If you know a word is real and want to check its spelling, consult google.

The Sloan Great Wall is about 1/60 the diameter of the observable universe, so I guess you mean if you had to represent stars as atoms?
Getting something outside of the universe is still in the realm of fantasy, even theoretically. If there are universes in other dimensions ours does not interact with, it may be possible to reach it without traveling any distance, though even then it might not be possible to send anything on the scale of atoms through the hole. FTL theories all depend on the presents of exotic matter or phenomena which already span the distance conventionally. So far no evidence has been discovered for any of them, but our technology for detecting exotic matter is still in its infancy.

There are some misconceptions about the affect of FTL on causality. If you set up the scenario a certain way and plug in the numbers, you can make a faster than light objects appear to send information backwards in time, but this should be seen as a limitation of the Lorentz transformation to model objects crossing the light barrier in either direction (this should be impossible to begin with from a conventional standpoint). In reality, the Lorentz transformation derives its numbers from the truth that the speed of light is constant for all observers regardless of their frame of reference, and to make this true your perception of the space time will warp until it is impossible to tell the difference. In fact, this makes it impossible for anyone to truly know how fast they are actually moving through the universe, and space itself can expand faster than the speed of light. If you try to model the warping of space time if your velocity hits C (from either direction) all the math breaks down and becomes meaningless.

If, however, you are traveling faster than light via one of the bypassing methods, you wouldn't be subjected to Special Relativity in the first place, and so traveling faster than light wouldn't violate causality.

addseo2015
Recruit
Recruit

Post by addseo2015 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:34 am

Can I now use faster than conventional light (FTCL) as a replacement for FTL in conversations?
Light is slowed down by a medium, just have an empty universe with little to no gravity and you can go faster than C.
Now if only there was some way to get rid of all those particles (or at least their Higgs field/electrostatic effect), we'd have FTCL.
Hands up who has an engine powerful enough to get to 400XC!

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:00 am

Light does not slow down through a medium. The light appearing to slow through a medium is actually different light generated in sympathy with the initial photons. Of course every photon is exactly identical to every other photon, so the reality of it being "different" photons is a somewhat nebulous concept.

The speed of light is a very important component of electromagnetism. If it were to suddenly change, matter would probably fall apart or collapse in on itself.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:06 am

Well it does change slightly, the number c you know is actually the speed of light in vacuum ... all our electromagnetic knowledge is relative to it so as long as c itself is constant we shouldn't worry too much ...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

addseo2015
Recruit
Recruit

Post by addseo2015 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:52 am

I heard if you change light by a small amount then fusion stops working, I'll make sure to line my spaceships with AA batteries.
Also I'm just trying to create a logical way for non boring space flight in Sci-Fi that works with what physics is (or what we think it is), the other alternative is atom level smooth "surfaces" that can quantum link to other "surfaces" artificially and have some sort of inverter attached to one of them so it doesn't turn us into antimatter. (surface-flat crystal thingy or floaty teleport window in gaseous atmosphere) Then find a way to send matter through it (the easy option is like the classic teleport (matter to energy, reassemble) but you'd need something at the other side to reassemble you(the copy of you since you died when you got turned to energy)).

Sci from Sci-Fi is not in the dictionary but Fi with a capital F is, they need to look into this.

[EDIT] Also how do you get rid of that uncertainty principle, that'd probably hinder "quantum mirrors" or something?
Yes I know C is a fixed number: 299,792,458-ish. I think light can go (or create new light that goes) faster than C if the medium of the universe is emptier.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Well, FTL communication, at least, could be possible by entangling particles. Take two atoms, entangle them, and then put them in two far-apart locations. Whenever you change the first particle, the pair will take the correlating state. If the first spins clockwise, the second will spin counterclockwise, and so forth.

Measurements say it travels at least 10,000 times the speed of light, or it may be instantaneous. So, Ansible.

Downsides? HORRIBLE bandwidth (One quantum bit at a time) and strictly point-to-point. Still, have a bunch running in parallel, and theoretically, you could stream movies on your starship across the universe from Earth.

EDIT: And doesn't light appear to slow down because, in dense mediums, it's absorbed by the atoms/electrons and then re-emitted as another, identical particle? It has to go through countless particles to get through something.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:26 pm

When light passes through a transparent object, it goes slower than c(absolute light). Thing can go faster through these mediums than light, producing the radioactive-green Cherenkov radiation. How is this useful? We need to turn space into H2O, then stream particles through to transmit information. FTL communication.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:35 pm

It's important to remember, though, that going faster than light isn't actually the goal. The goal is to go fast enough that interstellar travel becomes feasible. If you go faster than light by slowing down light somehow, then good for you, you've got FTL, but if it's still going to take you a couple of years to get to Alpha Centauri, you haven't really accomplished much.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

addseo2015
Recruit
Recruit

Post by addseo2015 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm pretty sure the quantum link stuff isn't yet possible because of Schroedinger's cat and electrons.
there are some circumstances where something goes faster than light through a medium and we get weird radiation off that.

Really I just want to go very fast without skipping through 20 years just because of relativistic effects.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:28 pm

So much troll physics in this thread. Don't even know where to start.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Quantum Entanglement is possible, and has already been done.

ACHO: Completely wrong. Cherenkov radiation is when a charged particle moves through a medium faster than light can move through it (AKA how long it takes to pass through it). Not light. And it's blue. Not green.

Let me iterate people. LIGHT ALWAYS MOVES AT THE SAME VELOCITY, END OF STORY. No buts, ifs, or whens about it. It moves at a constant velocity at all times. It APPEARS to slow down because when passing through a non-vacuum, it gets absorbed by electrons, briefly increases their energy level, and then gets re-emitted, with some energy lost in the process. It has to interact with all those particles along the way.

Think about it. It takes MILLIONS of years for light to exit the core of a star. Not because it's slow- it's going at the speed of light. But because it's extremely dense in the core, it has to interact with countless particles along the way.