This is great.

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
This is great.

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:42 pm

zomg

For those too lazy to kick the link, it's basically, well...how do I put this without getting a silly response from Iv...a piece of equipment utilizing a 360 degree treadmill (as well as a bracing 'collar' to prevent slipping and falling) and multiple motion sensors so that you can actually control your character in video games by moving. In conjunction with the Oculus Rift VR headset...well, you might as well be the person in the game, the only thing that breaks the immersion is the controller you'd have to use while on the device.

I especially like that evidently how fast you move ingame is determined by how fast your pace is on the machine itself, meaning that for games like Oblivion or Skyrim (without using the fast travel feature, ofc), you can get quite a workout in the process of playing. Or envision a Call of Duty or Battlefield match, in which you'd have to literally sprint to get to the next objective, the next player, the next points? It truly is amazing.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: This is great.

Post by Luna » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Oh yeah i've seen that, looks like a lot of fun.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Solution to controller problem: Those Wii Remote cases that are shaped like guns, so you shoot by actually pulling a trigger that's connected to one of the buttons on the remote. Blam, virtual reality.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:57 pm

But what if Skyrim?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:07 pm

Tiel wrote:But what if Skyrim?
Holding the trigger will pull back the bow.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO

Post by Crash Override » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:10 pm

No no no.

The solution would be a handle to simulate the bow and a small sensor thingy in the other hand to simulate the string.
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Lightspeed wrote:No no no.

The solution would be a handle to simulate the bow and a small sensor thingy in the other hand to simulate the string.
Or that.
"The Sky is the Limit"

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Tiel wrote:But what if Skyrim?
The Wii Remote's already a fine sword. A bow or other weapon could be made. Same goes for pretty much anything you might need in a videogame.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:34 pm

What if playing Kerbal Space Program? Ship powered by running?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:36 pm

For anything where you don't directly control the character, turn off treadmill, start making hand gestures.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Nope. Gonna play KSP with my feet.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO

Post by Crash Override » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:39 pm

ACH0225 wrote:What if playing Kerbal Space Program? Ship powered by running?

Who cares? We need more boosters! - Jeb Kerman.
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:46 pm

This won't benefit games in which you don't control a single walking person, anyway. It's mostly irrelevant for anything but FPS and maybe a few other games.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:48 pm

FPS, RPG, 3PS, games like Minecraft, etc.

You're right that it won't be as fun when playing anything other than titles where you control one character at any given time, but that is the majority of the game market.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Tiel wrote:FPS, RPG, 3PS, games like Minecraft, etc.

You're right that it won't be as fun when playing anything other than titles where you control one character at any given time, but that is the majority of the game market.
The Rift doesn't do anything for you in a 3PS. RPGs would work as long as you stayed first person and all that. MC falls into that 'few other games' category. And actually, even an FPS would become weird as soon as you got in a vehicle. This is absolutely perfect for TF2, but that's about it. I'm not saying it's not cool, of course.