OH MY GOD! WARP ENGINES

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO
OH MY GOD! WARP ENGINES

Post by Crash Override » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:29 pm

" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Re: OH MY GOD! WARP ENGINES

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:37 pm

We've been over this.

The concept relies on 'exotic matter', otherwise known as 'magic'.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by Crash Override » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:42 pm

" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the

EMPRAH * BRUVA

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Late to the party aren't you.

Also, LJS. It is possible to have a net negitive energy in real life, and E=MC^2 + whatever the heck the momentum term is I always forget means that negative mass could exist maybe.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Keon wrote:Also, LJS. It is possible to have a net negitive energy in real life, and E=MC^2 + whatever the heck the momentum term is I always forget means that negative mass could exist maybe.
Why are you talking to me? O_o
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:29 am

Well, dark energy is essentially anti-gravity, but it´s called dark energy because we don´t know what it actually is expanding our universe.
Actually, it looks like negative mass, but then it still would not be a negative energy because it is a negative force, which, in fact, is just a normal force with the vector turned around.
The point is that negative mass would require, according to what we know about physics now, negative mass would require a negative ammount of particles.
try get negative ammounts of paricles first.

...In fact, I have no Idea how that would help the alcubierre drive to work.
According to the article, there are two problems with the concept why we can´t even think of building something yet.
First, it just says "exotic matter" in the article. To me that sounds like "We know what kind of matter we need, but we don´t know if it exists, so it doesn´t have a proper name." So... long time until we´ll be able to produce and store useful ammounts of that stuff.
The other problem is the energy. The warp drive needs about the mass equivalent of about 800kg. If you know what mass-energy is, you´ll know how much that is. The article also fails to say how fast that Warp drive uses that energy. Maybe it also is just the starting energy.

...wait!
I now get it: the Wikipedia page on Alcubierre drives says a lot more useful stuff. Including that negative energy thing. hoever, that website seems to claim to be able to use positive energy.
I am not a professional physicist, but even is we will ba able to build it, it might take very long to make it real. Also, the exotic matter seems to be tachylonic matter. We´re not even sure it exists, so we are far away from using it.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:04 am

I however, do know how to get "negative amounts of particles". It involves fluctuations in quantum fields, which results in a minim 'vacuum' energy (this is how ZPMs work). These fluctuations take the form of of virtual particles popping into existence then destroying each other (usually virtual bosons, but occasionally fermions or even atoms will appear [I'll tell you about quantum resurrection at some time or another].) If you put a sheet of some material (I don't remember if it mattered what it was made of) microscopically close to another sheet, the space in between them won't be enough for fluctuations to produce particles, resulting in a "negative" amount of energy in between the sheets. It's like air pressure, but with radiation and the other forces.

I think that's how negative energy goes, anyway. I did that without a wiki: I feel proud!
This is a signature.

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by Crash Override » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:26 pm

The future wiill be like:

Star trek warpdrives

Mass Effect Drives

Babylon Five Drives

Standard Sci-Fi Drives?

EMPRAH * BRUVA