Terrans VS Reapers

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Re: Terrans VS Reapers

Post by cats » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Tiel wrote:Yes.
I don't recall that.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Yeah, after I made that post I remembered that in Halo 2 it was the Longswords that made a hole, not Chief. Still, that'd mean that Covenant hull strength isn't a really accurate reference point unless those C709's were carrying Shivas.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Unity
IGN:Pat22 or something

Post by Pat22 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:22 pm

Tiel wrote:Yeah, after I made that post I remembered that in Halo 2 it was the Longswords that made a hole, not Chief. Still, that'd mean that Covenant hull strength isn't a really accurate reference point unless those C709's were carrying Shivas.
Is it when he gives the covenant back their bomb? it's quite possible that ship's shields had already been depleted, and there was only a hole in the outer hull. The MAC puts a hole clean through the whole ship.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:28 pm

I'd say its a little stronger than human armor (~meter thick titanium). A MAC can easily dispose of most covenant ships in 2 hits or less.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Pat22 wrote:While the Yamato canons and laser weapons of the terran Battlecruisers would indeed bypass Reaper kinetic barriers, they would not be very effective.
Battlecruisers, overall, are quite fragile. They can be shot down by marines' gauss rifles. It also takes several Yamato canon shots to kill one, so the Yamato canon itself isn't actually that strong. After all, Mass Effect ship weapons have a kinetic energy equivalent to very powerful nuclear weapons as well and they didn't get much done.

Not to mention Battlecruisers have no shielding at all, their hulls are directly exposed to the Reaper's energy weapons.

Finally there's a quite noticeable difference in size, with Battlecruisers coming in at about 500 meters in length compared to Reapers measuring up to 2000m in length.

So while the Terrans would fare slightly better than the ME fleets, and might even come out victorious due to their gigantic fleets and ship production abilities, it certainly would not be a completely one-sided fight. They would take heavy losses.
Battlecruisers are like 100 ft long. Look at them in game.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pat22 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:58 pm

Keon wrote:
Pat22 wrote:While the Yamato canons and laser weapons of the terran Battlecruisers would indeed bypass Reaper kinetic barriers, they would not be very effective.
Battlecruisers, overall, are quite fragile. They can be shot down by marines' gauss rifles. It also takes several Yamato canon shots to kill one, so the Yamato canon itself isn't actually that strong. After all, Mass Effect ship weapons have a kinetic energy equivalent to very powerful nuclear weapons as well and they didn't get much done.

Not to mention Battlecruisers have no shielding at all, their hulls are directly exposed to the Reaper's energy weapons.

Finally there's a quite noticeable difference in size, with Battlecruisers coming in at about 500 meters in length compared to Reapers measuring up to 2000m in length.

So while the Terrans would fare slightly better than the ME fleets, and might even come out victorious due to their gigantic fleets and ship production abilities, it certainly would not be a completely one-sided fight. They would take heavy losses.
They've been made smaller in game so they don't cover half the map and block all ground combat from sight.

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Pat22 wrote:
Keon wrote:

They've been made smaller in game so they don't cover half the map and block all ground combat from sight.
That's the problem. There is no RTS with true feeling of scale.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:11 pm

SOASE

Well, no. Strike craft are apparently the size of small ports in Sins xP

An RTS without size distortion would be difficult to find...Total War and other titles are immediately disqualified on account of the popular 'travel map' concept, where soldiers are fifty feet tall behemoths. Anything set in space is pretty much excluded because of planets. Ah, World in Conflict, that has proper scaling! As do Ground Control I & II, also made by Massive Entertainment. Homeworld I & II, Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes, games by Relic, also are scaled beautifully without any possible confusion of size.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pat22 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Tiel wrote:SOASE

Well, no. Strike craft are apparently the size of small ports in Sins xP

An RTS without size distortion would be difficult to find...Total War and other titles are immediately disqualified on account of the popular 'travel map' concept, where soldiers are fifty feet tall behemoths. Anything set in space is pretty much excluded because of planets. Ah, World in Conflict, that has proper scaling! As do Ground Control I & II, also made by Massive Entertainment. Homeworld I & II, Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes, games by Relic, also are scaled beautifully without any possible confusion of size.
Strike craft in Sins are actually much larger than fighters on Earth today. TEC bombers are at least 2-3 stories tall, if not more.

Sins definitely takes the crown when it comes to scale though.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Pat22 wrote: Strike craft in Sins are actually much larger than fighters on Earth today. TEC bombers are at least 2-3 stories tall, if not more.
Move a strike craft squadron as close to a planet as you dare. I guarantee you those strike craft are way oversized.

Frigates are even worse, propels Sins into having Warhammer proportions.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Warhammer; because killing every single one of a planets inhabitants to find that one spesh marine who is then a disposable weakling is actually perfectly reasonable.

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pat22 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 pm

Tiel wrote:
Pat22 wrote: Strike craft in Sins are actually much larger than fighters on Earth today. TEC bombers are at least 2-3 stories tall, if not more.
Move a strike craft squadron as close to a planet as you dare. I guarantee you those strike craft are way oversized.

Frigates are even worse, propels Sins into having Warhammer proportions.
That's not the strike craft that are too big, those are the planets made smaller for ease of gameplay, the same way battlecruisers are made smaller.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Exactly, size distortion. There are very few RTS's that don't have that but still offer good gameplay, the titles I listed being a few of them.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pat22 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Tiel wrote:Exactly, size distortion. There are very few RTS's that don't have that but still offer good gameplay, the titles I listed being a few of them.
Unlike Starcraft, where battlecruisers are an actually important unit in the game, the planets in Sins are secondary, almost background. Having them be distorted is not as confusing except to morons who believe the planet sizes are accurate and the ships are all as big as moons.

I suppose the winning element is the camera's ability to zoom from a single strike craft to viewing the entire galaxy in seconds, that really allows the game to go large scale with the ships and fleets. There's also the complete movement freedom of the camera.
To be honest, I feel claustrophobic when I go from sins to other RTS games. I always try to zoom out as much as possible.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Pat22 wrote:To be honest, I feel claustrophobic when I go from sins to other RTS games. I always try to zoom out as much as possible.
This. SoaSE is the only serious RTS I've ever spent a lot of time with, and when I tried to play Starcraft I was very frustrated by having so little control over my viewpoint. That's something that's only really feasible in a game like SoaSE, with the amount of effort they put into graphics, but I think it's one of the strongest points of the game.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")