Becoming a Social Gaming Community

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.

What game should become our first officially supported game ?

Total votes: 0

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Becoming a Social Gaming Community

Post by Iv121 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:03 pm

As it went up in the Hirarchy system thread a good way for us to develop as a community will be to move to social gaming. As I have a bit of experience in that (well sort of :P ) I can help use to achieve this. First of all what it is and why does it matter ? A social gaming community is a community of people dedicated to gaming. Unlike competetive clans and such we play games for fun and generally enjoy being together instead of whinning about K/D ratios all day :P . We will group up on different games the community wants and enjoy some gaming together. In adition to this it will help us to gain more attention and members which will generally help us to gain support for the mod and also "Killing time until it comes out" as tiel said. Please note we can be a gaming community with Futurecraft still being an important part in our community. The highlight of gaming communities in my opinion is events. Different competitions and tourneys which really turn the game into something special and addictive.

Now what should we do ? Let's do it step by step. First of all we need to find a game we like. This game obviously should have multiplayer. It is also adviced for it to be Free-2-Play so that everyone can get it even if he previously didn't play it. We can and will eventually support many games but it will be much easier for us to begin with one game because we are still a small community . Here are a few suggestions:

1. League of Legends

A free to play online MOBA game. The idea you control a champion in an RTS like style (from above) and with the abilities of your champion you will duke it out against the other players to dominate the battlefield. If you are not familiar with the genre search it in YouTube.

PROS
  • - Free-2-Play.
    - ADDICTIVE.
    - has full friends and team support.
    - Perfect for making events and competitions for our members.
CONS
  • - Requires some time to get used to the gameplay for newcomers.
    - The general LoL community earned it's crappy name for a reason. You will be flamed hard if you play bad.
Suggestions to solve this: Play with us the gaming community :) , and also easy bot matches both improve your skills and are generally more fun because people don’t flame there as much.

2. Firefall

A free to play online MMO-shooter combination where you can either fight with AI monsters that swarm you all over or against real players in a fast phased shooting deathmatch.

PROS
  • - Free-2-Play.
    - Has full friends and team support.
    - Great community.
    - Good for making events and competitions for our members.
    - Goes naturally well with pre-made parties
CONS
  • - It might take some times until you get your invite to the beta
3. Team Fortress 2

A free to play FPS that was originally paid for. It is a high quality game and a damn crazy one. Highly humoristic class based shooter

PROS
  • - Free-2-Play.
    - Has friends support
    - Very teamplay-oriented. Playing with friends is incredible fun.
    - Has potential for AWSOME events and great fun for the community
CONS
  • - It's hard to set up a game or an event for the community. Requires servers for full control over the game settings and invading empty servers is not reliable. It is possible to have a runnig server through donations and generous people like the MC servers we have.
I might put more later. You will learn more about the games by searching them on youtube. It will also give you an insight on the actual gameplay so you can tell if you like it or not.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Re: Becoming a Social Gaming Community

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:07 pm

LoL username: Skynet6
Steam: viperviper

Add me, but keep in mind I might change both of those names soon. I'll update if/when I do.

Also, CreeperHost can run a TF2 server alongside the Minecraft one, but I have no idea what to do with TF2 server side.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Already set up small clan of blops II (not ideal but it's what I can do at the moment)

We should also start some form of media hype at some point, whether a few promotional threads on the minecraft forum (so its not just Mack's OP) and if people give me some ideas I can start shooting a trailer for FC.

I am more in favour of doing this to raise awareness of FC, and hopefully attract a few more coders and Devs to make the development faster, easier, and take some steam off our current Devs.

I mean, with the right pushes, this is the sort of thing that could become a massive hype, although FC will likely cause many people to not buy 0x10c (because you have more freedom in FC, and it's not pay per month)
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Alright black ops 2. Any other games ?
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Iv121 wrote:Alright black ops 2. Any other games ?
Planet side 2, Dota 2, crossfire, battlefield platforfree and battlefield heroes (though I'm not keen on EA), Minecraft (obv), APB reloaded, Spiral knights, Half-life 2 deathwatch (think you can still get this free), I haven't done anything on these but they are all FTP ideas.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Prototype wrote:
Planet side 2, Dota 2, crossfire, battlefield platforfree and battlefield heroes (though I'm not keen on EA), Minecraft (obv), APB reloaded, Spiral knights, Half-life 2 deathwatch (think you can still get this free), I haven't done anything on these but they are all FTP ideas.
Any F2P game by EA is a Pay2Win title. I learned that the hard way :[

I take it the goal is to find some free MMOs? Or at least some free-to-play games with persistent inventories etc?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Rhomidean
IGN:cptsporatic

Post by CaptainSporatic » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:59 pm

For a mmo shooting game I could recommend Tribes Ascend, both since I like it and since I have it already xD
In general, as long as it's free, I'm open to it.
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Tiel wrote:
Prototype wrote:
Any F2P game by EA is a Pay2Win title. I learned that the hard way :[

I take it the goal is to find some free MMOs? Or at least some free-to-play games with persistent inventories etc?
F2P MMO's = Wizard101(in quality at least) >:(
I love the Idea, and we've tried this before with a short-lived Planetside2 outfit and other stuff. We're going to have to find a schedule that works for people though. I have a feeling that weekends are going to be the few times we can meet amassed.

Would love try this out when I can find time.
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I would love to do any fps or rts or well any game with my internet friends on here. So, lets get our plan all laid out.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:43 pm

Team Fortress 2 is the only game in the OP that I've heard of. :|
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:50 pm

TF2 sounds pretty good. It's a casual game, free to play and the company behind it actually knows how to balance moneymaking and gameplay. It's not resource intensive, either, as it runs on an engine from ~2004.

We should make a Team Fortress 2 clan. I suggest <fr0st> as our tag.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:51 pm

I can agree to this if someone can tell me how we will communicate when in battle.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Steam ID: Vinyl (have a blue Foreunner symbol with a white BG for avatar)
And Avenger, which viperviper are you? There's like... ten of them.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Well, I'm Last_Jedi_Standing on Steam too, but as Vinyl will attest I'm likely to simply ignore any friend requests that appear in my notifications.

EDIT: Actually, I may have gotten around to deleting Vinyl's request at some point. It doesn't seem to be there any more. It may have timed out or something. And I thought ACH friended me too, but I don't see that either. All is quiet. :D
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Hopefully we can all cooperate and find a game, maybe cs: go. It might cost a few bucks but it is really fun when playing with friends