Potato knishes

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
Re: Potato knishes

Post by Ivan2006 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:44 pm

Saravanth wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:please refer to this educational website on hexalani http://www.resn.co.nz/threaded/
This is some polybius-grade shit right there.

How does one even find this?
click the links in the description of a Vsausce3 video.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Wed May 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Hexalani TACSEC denies that they had knowledge of the distribution of a Level 4 IID by independent SPECWAR elements.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:24 am

TIL Vsauce is part of Hexalan SPECWAR
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Thu May 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Y'all do know I live in a black ghetto, go to a ~40% black school, and they say n**ga all the time? Tiel has said it on numerous occasions[Edit: I think. Could be thinking of the Yuros in the skype chat.]. Get over your racist traditions already, don't you know we live in a post-racial america? We all bleed red, gosh :/

Link related, memes can get you banned IRL:
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/cas ... e-s/nmF42/

As for Confederate organizations being evil, that's just ignorant. Slavery was as much an issue of the civil war as the genuine concern for Polish peasants was a reason for WW2. Lrn2 question authority, pleb.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 14, 2015 2:06 pm

CMA wrote: As for Confederate organizations being evil, that's just ignorant. Slavery was as much an issue of the civil war as the genuine concern for Polish peasants was a reason for WW2. Lrn2 question authority, pleb.
No war is ever caused by any single thing, so of course there were other factors as well, but saying slavery was anything other than the single most dominant cause of the war is stupid. To continue your WW2 example, what you're doing is like denying that the impact of the Treaty of Versailles on the German economy and national pride was a significant factor, and claiming the entire thing should be chalked up to a genuine attempt to punish those responsible for the Reichstag fire. There's nothing wrong with discussing the details of the causes of the war, and indeed I think more people should, but to simply deny that slavery and racial issues, literally the sole defining concern of that whole time period, was at all responsible is patently absurd.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Thu May 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote: No war is ever caused by any single thing[but saying slavery was anything other than the single most dominant cause of the war is stupid.
You made me search library data bases, I hope you're happy.

In his biography, which is the first draft of his historical account of the civil war, Confederate general Edward Porter Alexander said that the main cause of the Confederacy and the Civil War was state's rights, always had been, and always will be. I don't remember the exact passage but here's the book, read it yourself if you don't believe me:

http://bit.ly/1H5Odmf

In his first inaugural address, Lincoln said:

"Fellow-Citizens of the United States:

IN compliance with a custom as old as the Government itself, I appear before you to address you briefly and to take in your presence the oath prescribed by the Constitution of the United States to be taken by the President "before he enters on the execution of this office." 1
I do not consider it necessary at present for me to discuss those matters of administration about which there is no special anxiety or excitement. 2
Apprehension seems to exist among the people of the Southern States that by the accession of a Republican Administration their property and their peace and personal security are to be endangered. There has never been any reasonable cause for such apprehension. Indeed, the most ample evidence to the contrary has all the while existed and been open to their inspection. It is found in nearly all the published speeches of him who now addresses you. I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that—
I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.
Those who nominated and elected me did so with full knowledge that I had made this and many similar declarations and had never recanted them; and more than this, they placed in the platform for my acceptance, and as a law to themselves and to me, the clear and emphatic resolution which I now read:
Resolved, That the maintenance inviolate of the rights of the States, and especially the right of each State to order and control its own domestic institutions according to its own judgment exclusively, is essential to that balance of power on which the perfection and endurance of our political fabric depend; and we denounce the lawless invasion by armed force of the soil of any State or Territory, no matter what pretext, as among the gravest of crimes.
I now reiterate these sentiments, and in doing so I only press upon the public attention the most conclusive evidence of which the case is susceptible that the property, peace, and security of no section are to be in any wise endangered by the now incoming Administration. I add, too, that all the protection which, consistently with the Constitution and the laws, can be given will be cheerfully given to all the States when lawfully demanded, for whatever cause—as cheerfully to one section as to another."

He then goes on to say:

" It is seventy-two years since the first inauguration of a President under our National Constitution. During that period fifteen different and greatly distinguished citizens have in succession administered the executive branch of the Government. They have conducted it through many perils, and generally with great success. Yet, with all this scope of precedent, I now enter upon the same task for the brief constitutional term of four years under great and peculiar difficulty. A disruption of the Federal Union, heretofore only menaced, is now formidably attempted. 11
I hold that in contemplation of universal law and of the Constitution the Union of these States is perpetual. Perpetuity is implied, if not expressed, in the fundamental law of all national governments. It is safe to assert that no government proper ever had a provision in its organic law for its own termination. Continue to execute all the express provisions of our National Constitution, and the Union will endure forever, it being impossible to destroy it except by some action not provided for in the instrument itself. 12
Again: If the United States be not a government proper, but an association of States in the nature of contract merely, can it, as a contract, be peaceably unmade by less than all the parties who made it? One party to a contract may violate it—break it, so to speak—but does it not require all to lawfully rescind it? 13
Descending from these general principles, we find the proposition that in legal contemplation the Union is perpetual confirmed by the history of the Union itself. The Union is much older than the Constitution. It was formed, in fact, by the Articles of Association in 1774. It was matured and continued by the Declaration of Independence in 1776. It was further matured, and the faith of all the then thirteen States expressly plighted and engaged that it should be perpetual, by the Articles of Confederation in 1778. And finally, in 1787, one of the declared objects for ordaining and establishing the Constitution was "to form a more perfect Union." 14
But if destruction of the Union by one or by a part only of the States be lawfully possible, the Union is less perfect than before the Constitution, having lost the vital element of perpetuity. 15
It follows from these views that no State upon its own mere motion can lawfully get out of the Union; that resolves and ordinances to that effect are legally void, and that acts of violence within any State or States against the authority of the United States are insurrectionary or revolutionary, according to circumstances. 16
I therefore consider that in view of the Constitution and the laws the Union is unbroken, and to the extent of my ability, I shall take care, as the Constitution itself expressly enjoins upon me, that the laws of the Union be faithfully executed in all the States. Doing this I deem to be only a simple duty on my part, and I shall perform it so far as practicable unless my rightful masters, the American people, shall withhold the requisite means or in some authoritative manner direct the contrary. I trust this will not be regarded as a menace, but only as the declared purpose of the Union that it will constitutionally defend and maintain itself."

Which tl;dr is a lot of statist *. Lincoln himself didn't care about slavery, it was about power and preserving the unity of the United States.

Source: http://www.bartleby.com/124/pres31.html

Some miscellaneous quotes:

There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races ... A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas ...

In the language of Mr. Jefferson, uttered many years ago, "It is still in our power to direct the process of emancipation, and deportation, peaceably, and in such slow degrees, as that the evil will wear off insensibly; and in their places be, pari passu [on an equal basis], filled up by free white laborers."

Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

The Abolitionist party also despised Catholics, Irish, and all other 'foreigners.' The primary motivation for outlawing slavery was the preserve the racial purity of the Anglo-Saxon northeast. Here are several 'minority' CSA supporters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judah_P._Benjamin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abram_Joseph_Ryan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_i ... _Civil_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Fr ... Henningsen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heros_von_Borcke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Ar ... e_Polignac

Meanwhile, the Union army was primarily WASPS and poor Irish and Polish mercenaries.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu May 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Yes, slavery was the primary cause for the American Civil War. No, despite whoever's proclomations otherwise, that does not change the fact that the Union government went to wair *mainly* (not solely, but mainly) because slavery.

As to CMA's political views... decentralization okey, revamped government okey*, basing it on the CSA, eh...

*Gods know the States needs it.

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Thu May 14, 2015 2:48 pm

There's also this.

Stranger Here Myself wrote:despite whoever's proclomations otherwise
The people who fought and declared the war are the ones who said it, idk how else to prove it to you.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 14, 2015 2:52 pm

CMA wrote:snip
Luckily, we don't have to argue about this. Four of the eleven Confederate states published formal Declarations of Causes of Secession: not assorted quotes, not history books, literally the official reasons the states left, in their own words. All four of them say that slavery was the primary cause. You can read them all yourself here, but I've pasted the relevant parts below. These aren't cherry-picked quotes that I've pulled out of much larger sources; they are all representative of the contents of the declarations. Of course you can find quotes about other causes of the war, because there were other causes--that's been said a couple of times. But slavery was the main cause, and the most relevant possible sources, the Causes of Secession themselves, support that assertion entirely.

South Carolina wrote:We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.
For twenty-five years this agitation has been steadily increasing, until it has now secured to its aid the power of the common Government. Observing the forms of the Constitution, a sectional party has found within that Article establishing the Executive Department, the means of subverting the Constitution itself. A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery. He is to be entrusted with the administration of the common Government, because he has declared that that "Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free," and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction.
Mississippi wrote:Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery --- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.
Georgia wrote:The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery...

...The party of Lincoln, called the Republican party, under its present name and organization, is of recent origin. It is admitted to be an anti-slavery party. While it attracts to itself by its creed the scattered advocates of exploded political heresies, of condemned theories in political economy, the advocates of commercial restrictions, of protection, of special privileges, of waste and corruption in the administration of Government, anti-slavery is its mission and its purpose. By anti-slavery it is made a power in the state. The question of slavery was the great difficulty in the way of the formation of the Constitution. While the subordination and the political and social inequality of the African race was fully conceded by all, it was plainly apparent that slavery would soon disappear from what are now the non-slave-holding States of the original thirteen. The opposition to slavery was then, as now, general in those States and the Constitution was made with direct reference to that fact. But a distinct abolition party was not formed in the United States for more than half a century after the Government went into operation...

...the feeling of anti-slavery, which it was well known was very general among the people of the North, had been long dormant or passive; it needed only a question to arouse it into aggressive activity. This question was before us. We had acquired a large territory by successful war with Mexico; Congress had to govern it; how, in relation to slavery, was the question then demanding solution. This state of facts gave form and shape to the anti-slavery sentiment throughout the North and the conflict began. Northern anti-slavery men of all parties asserted the right to exclude slavery from the territory by Congressional legislation and demanded the prompt and efficient exercise of this power to that end. This insulting and unconstitutional demand was met with great moderation and firmness by the South...

...The prohibition of slavery in the Territories, hostility to it everywhere, the equality of the black and white races, disregard of all constitutional guarantees in its favor, were boldly proclaimed by its leaders and applauded by its followers.

With these principles on their banners and these utterances on their lips the majority of the people of the North demand that we shall receive them as our rulers.

The prohibition of slavery in the Territories is the cardinal principle of this organization...
Texas wrote:She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

The controlling majority of the Federal Government, under various pretences and disguises, has so administered the same as to exclude the citizens of the Southern States, unless under odious and unconstitutional restrictions, from all the immense territory owned in common by all the States on the Pacific Ocean, for the avowed purpose of acquiring sufficient power in the common government to use it as a means of destroying the institutions of Texas and her sister slaveholding States...

...In all the non-slave-holding States, in violation of that good faith and comity which should exist between entirely distinct nations, the people have formed themselves into a great sectional party, now strong enough in numbers to control the affairs of each of those States, based upon an unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of equality of all men, irrespective of race or color-- a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of Divine Law. They demand the abolition of negro slavery throughout the confederacy, the recognition of political equality between the white and negro races, and avow their determination to press on their crusade against us, so long as a negro slave remains in these States...

...We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.

That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding states.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Thu May 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Like you said, it was part of the reason, not the main reason. I've read the constitutions.
>Four out of eleven
That's not even a majority.

Also, my political views aren't based on the CSA,they just happen to coincide with a lot of what the CSA stood for, in theory. It's also my ethnicity.

My political views mostly come from these two very fat men:

Last edited by CMA on Thu May 14, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 14, 2015 2:56 pm

CMA wrote:Like you said, it was part of the reason, not the main reason. I've read the constitutions.
>Four out of eleven
That's not even a majority.
The other states didn't publish Declarations. Not a lot I can do about that at this point. And, to be clear, I'm saying it was the main reason. Other contributing factors existed but were secondary.

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Thu May 14, 2015 3:02 pm

Sorry, I meant that you had said that there were other reasons that weren't as important. And the states all had constitutions AFAIK, brb wikipedia.

Have some stuff:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed May 27, 2015 10:57 am

I heard there were * in this thread.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *