Futurecraft's Philosophical Discussion Thread

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists
Re: ISIS, Taliban announced Jihad against each other

Post by CMA » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Commander Error wrote:Perhaps I phrased poorly.

Going to war with people who share functionally identical beliefs with you is political, not religious. And even for ISIS, going head-to-head with the Taliban because of some minor differences in your Book of the Sky Wizard is a bit of a stretch.

And if your religion states that conquest in force, statutory rape, (Muhammed) and killing anybody who disagrees with your Book of the Sky Wizard (ISIS) is a good thing, I put forth the motion your religion should probably be banned or at least condemned.

Also; don't refer to me as a fedora. 0) it's incorrect (the forbidden hat is a trilby) and 1) there's no reason for name-calling.

@Tiel Perhaps. But I put forth the motion that one's reasoning for being a terrorist is irrelevant; they're a terrorist.

Although really, why ISIS hasn't been bombed flat and/or invaded yet is entirely beyond me.
In inverse order:

1) They're ecteneky decentralized, and bombing didn't help the US in Vietnam that much. Those aren't marines fighting on the ground either.

2) Didn't mean it as an insult, I use it lightheartedly..

3) Based on what ethical system? Seriously asking. Kantian ethics are cool but there's no reason for then to be valid outside of it being a coherent logical system (kind of)

4) There are relatively huge differences between Shia and Sunni Islam. They've been killing each other since the first Caliph.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:52 pm

What do you mean with fake Allah, though? That they're worshipping the wrong kind of Allah or that Allah is fake?
Because the god Allah is the same god you worship, God, so if you say he's fake you're kind of going against your own religion.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:29 am

Commander Error wrote: Going to war with people who share functionally identical beliefs with you is political, not religious. And even for ISIS, going head-to-head with the Taliban because of some minor differences in your Book of the Sky Wizard is a bit of a stretch.
Thats not such a "Petty" difference between them you know, the Sunni pretty much murdered the Shia's succsessor of Muhammad, Ali, how would you treat the traitors who murdered Muhammad's successor and the first person in the world who accepted Islam ?
CMA wrote: I agree with you on the Palestinian thing mostly, but disagreeing/disliking Israel doesn't mean you hate Jews. There are "Jews" here who protest Israel.

I know not all Anti-Israelis are Anti-Semites, only about 60% of them ? Its hard to tell where the Anti-Israelism ends and Anti-Semitism begins. The vast majority of current Anti-Semites are using Anti-Israelism as sort of a disguise and a moral justification for they actions. That Jew that was found dead a few days ago in France ? It was an Israeli, not a Jew ! Its fine ! Kill all the evil ! Its the perfect disguise for people who have that urge to hate Jews inherited from their traditions of thousands of years of hatred but still find what the Nazis did horrid (at least by name). There are ppl all over the world that hunt Jews in general and Israelis specifically trying to do anything in their powers to ruin their lives, doesn't matter who they are and what their opinions are. That is racism pure and simple and it doesn't matter how you call it. Im afraid that the UNHRC falls into this category which is why it is branded as Anti-Semite organization.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:54 am

Archduke Daynel wrote:What do you mean with fake Allah, though? That they're worshipping the wrong kind of Allah or that Allah is fake?
Because the god Allah is the same god you worship, God, so if you say he's fake you're kind of going against your own religion.
They most likely worship Satan and call him God(Allah). Therefore, sarcasm quotes.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:10 am

CMA wrote:
Archduke Daynel wrote:What do you mean with fake Allah, though? That they're worshipping the wrong kind of Allah or that Allah is fake?
They most likely worship Satan and call him God(Allah). Therefore, sarcasm quotes.
See, this is a large portion of what I dislike about the aggressively religious. Setting aside for the moment the question of whether ISIS specifically is a primarily religious organization, you're looking at another religion and saying "No, they don't really believe what they think they believe, their god is actually just the bad guy from my religion." I can't imagine living with a worldview that makes that a sensible idea.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:17 am

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
CMA wrote:
See, this is a large portion of what I dislike about the aggressively religious. Setting aside for the moment the question of whether ISIS specifically is a primarily religious organization, you're looking at another religion and saying "No, they don't really believe what they think they believe, their god is actually just the bad guy from my religion." I can't imagine living with a worldview that makes that a sensible idea.
Don't worry I'm 95% sure he's trolling. Just stop throwing food at him and he'll go away.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:31 am

Did you know that Satan is one of God's angels ?

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:52 am

Technically, he was only an angel when he was still Lucifer, but pretty much.

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:06 pm

CMA wrote:

If God and Satan exist, it's completely sensible if not something we can really know. Same reasoning that goes into denying the earth is the center of the universe: They were observing something, but interpreted incorrectly.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:22 pm

CMA wrote:If God and Satan exist, it's completely sensible if not something we can really know. Same reasoning that goes into denying the earth is the center of the universe: They were observing something, but interpreted incorrectly.
It makes sense only if you start with the conviction that your religion is correct and every other one is wrong. That's where the problems start happening; believing in a god is one thing, and believing that everyone else's gods are evil is an entirely different and much worse thing. If you're positing that the god you believe in exists, it makes exactly as much sense for their god, and everyone else's gods, to exist as well--their belief is no less sincere than yours. I don't have a problem with people who claim that religion generally is good or true--I disagree with them, but that's OK. I do have a problem with people who claim that their specific religion is good and true and all others are evil and false. That's how wars start.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:35 pm

Also Earth is the center of the universe. Earth, and everything else. I am, you are, he/she/it is, you are, we are, they are.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:15 pm

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:06 pm

CMA wrote:If God and Satan exist, it's completely sensible if not something we can really know. Same reasoning that goes into denying the earth is the center of the universe: They were observing something, but interpreted incorrectly.
It makes sense only if you start with the conviction that your religion is correct and every other one is wrong. That's where the problems start happening; believing in a god is one thing, and believing that everyone else's gods are evil is an entirely different and much worse thing. If you're positing that the god you believe in exists, it makes exactly as much sense for their god, and everyone else's gods, to exist as well--their belief is no less sincere than yours.
This is what makes me mad. Y'all have no grasp on the actual religions that exist, or why people believe in them. Sincerity of belief is completely irrelevant, all that matters is whether you're right or not and why. Your entire argument rests on your claim that all gods and God are the same; which is false. Other than the Abrahamic/Christian God the rest are superheroes(every pagan pantheon, Mormonism) or abstract philosophical concepts(Greek philosophy, maybe some eastern philosophies). Only God/Allah/Deus has an account that explains evil, creation, the purpose and place of Man in the universe, and free will. Do you really not understand that religions are not all equal? If you think they're all wrong that's one thing, but don't be so arrogant to 1) assume you're right and 2) don't make claims about philosophies and anything else you have no idea about.

Also, the earth actually is the center of the universe.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:33 pm

CMA wrote:Do you really not understand that religions are not all equal?
Believing that makes you a bad person, for exactly the same reasons believing races aren't equal makes you a bad person.
CMA wrote:Also, the earth actually is the center of the universe.
But believing that just makes you an idiot.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:39 pm

Hehe even the old testament is unsure how to swallow a supernatural being that surpasses all limitations and in a way IS the universe we inhabit. There is a lot of contradiction regarding this concept because in the end of the day it is all an attempt to humanize something that is impossible to humanize at its core. Why would an all knowing being ask people things ? Doesn't he know the answers already ? How can someone oppose an all powerful being ? Go against its plan ? What is that plan anyway ? Does it include all the injustice and hardships we face in this world ? Do we have any control over this world or is everything predetermined for us ? Why are we held responsible for our actions if it wasn't us who decided to make them ?

The bible never actually contains any opinions , thoughts or feelings, not of the writer and not of those he wrote about. There are hints however of those writer's opinions, mostly in the choice of words or the choice not to say words. Because the bible was scribed by many different people the opinions presented in the text differ and sometimes clash with each other. Many texts in the bible talk about taking responsibility for your actions for example, but in other parts of the text it is said that god is the one who decides even our thoughts for us. To settle down those contradictions is what the bible studying is about. In a way those people indeed chase after the actual truth behind those words if ever there is one. Its a way to connect all the threads together and understand what that all powerful being actually means. It is also an endless endeavor.