150th anniversary of the end of the US Civil War

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
150th anniversary of the end of the US Civil War

Post by  ҉  » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:44 am

More or less, anyway. On April 9, 1865, Robert E Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia to Ulysses S Grant, functionally ending the war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_ ... ourt_House
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Re: 150th anniversary of the end of the US Civil War

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:44 pm

Woo, happy america war day! Lincoln and no slaves, and getting paid next to nothing and being supposed to live on tips not being considered slavery woo! Woo super-racist southern americans and people all around the world using that confederate flag to be cool and edgy! Remove immigrants, satisfy indians, woo!
Oh and something about coats probably, idk.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:53 pm

I was there for the 150th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg. Quite interesting, especially the military tactics of the day.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:55 pm

"military tactics of the day"

well, I guess considering the standard was muzzle-loaders, the tactics were considerably different form nowadays
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:22 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:"military tactics of the day"

well, I guess considering the standard was muzzle-loaders, the tactics were considerably different form nowadays
They literally just stood in rows/blocks and shot at each other. In field battles, like Gettysburg, anyway, and when they weren't charging or something like that. In places where that wasn't practical, like forests, it was a little more like what we have today, but I've seen photos of battlefields with corpses that all fell in the neat formations they were standing in when they died.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:29 pm

Really the major fail of any army of that day; due to the... less than amazing... accuracy and power of weapons of the day, you fired them in barrages of 20 guys or you didn't do shite. Hence, formations (as massed fire is easier). Does, however, make you very easy to shoot.

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Deo vindice.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Yes, thank you for that relevant and insightsful comment, it really adds a lot to this conversation.

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:07 pm

Archduke Daynel wrote:Yes, thank you for that relevant and insightsful comment, it really adds a lot to this conversation.
*engage jousting*
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:36 pm

Archduke Daynel wrote:Yes, thank you for that relevant and insightsful comment, it really adds a lot to this conversation.
Thank you for making retarded generalizations about a people you know nothing about and a war you don't even know the proper name of. Also for not speaking Latin.

:^)

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:45 pm

CMA wrote:
Thank you for making retarded generalizations about a people you know nothing about and a war you don't even know the proper name of. Also for not speaking Latin.

That was a stupid post.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:45 pm

CMA wrote:

You're welcome ;)

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:17 pm

if we legalize pot, METH and ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ THE MOLLYS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ will be legalized shortly after #420NO if we legalize pot, METH and ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ THE MOLLYS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ will be legalized shortly after #420NO if we legalize pot, METH and ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ THE MOLLYS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ will be legalized shortly after #420NO if we legalize pot, METH and ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ THE MOLLYS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ will be legalized shortly after #420NO if we legalize pot, METH and ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ THE MOLLYS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ will be legalized shortly after #420NO if we legalize pot, METH and ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ THE MOLLYS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ will be legalized shortly after #420NO if we legalize pot, METH and ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ THE MOLLYS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ will be legalized shortly after #420NO if we legalize pot, METH and ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ THE MOLLYS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ will be legalized shortly after #420NO if we legalize pot, METH and ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ THE MOLLYS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ will be legalized shortly after #420NO if we legalize pot, METH and ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ THE MOLLYS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ will be legalized shortly after #420NO

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
CMA wrote:

That was a stupid post.
Intentionally so. Speaking seriously for a moment, I really do support an independent South and the destruction of the GS. Daily reminder that Lincoln was more racist than the first grand dragon of the KKK.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest

http://www.bartleby.com/124/pres31.html

Also, Deo Vindice means "God will vindicate us." Look it up, heathens.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:17 pm

CMA wrote:Intentionally so. Speaking seriously for a moment, I really do support an independent South and the destruction of the GS. Daily reminder that Lincoln was more racist than the first grand dragon of the KKK.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest

http://www.bartleby.com/124/pres31.html

Also, Deo Vindice means "God will vindicate us." Look it up, heathens.
Lincoln was born in 1809. Of course he was racist by today's standards. Literally every person in the world in 1850 was racist at least to some degree--welcome to the 19th century. That doesn't make him a bad person, because he was markedly less racist than the majority of his contemporaries, and became more so over time--you're trumpeting the fact that he didn't call for an end to all slavery for his first election and ignoring the fact that he did exactly that for his second. Your suggestion that the man who issued the Emancipation Proclamation was more racist than a slave owner who massacred African prisoners of war is... I guess I'll go with 'silly', for lack of a better term. That Forrest backed off from some of his opinions in his later years makes absolutely no difference to this stupid, stupid claim.