Raspberry Pi (And You Can, Too!)

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306
Raspberry Pi (And You Can, Too!)

Post by Tau » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 am

For those who don't know, the Raspberry Pi is a dirt cheap single-board computer about the size of a smartphone (and with about as much processing power). I've been tinkering around with mine since I got it a couple of years ago. It's a Model B rev. 2, none of this fancy B+ rubbish. I have it hooked up to this thing Motorola used to make called a Lapdock, which is basically a laptop without the computer in it - just an HDMI input and USB hub/output.

It's been collecting dust for a while, but I started playing with it again recently. I've got a number of projects going on. The first one is to make the Pi/Lapdock combo into a portable packet radio terminal (packet radio = dial up over ham radio, basically - really fun). Something else I'm doing is turning it into a portable emulation console with the RetroPie Linux distro (though I may switch to Lakka, for reasons of lower size).

So, yeah. Has anyone else done anything with the Pi?
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Re: Raspberry Pi (And You Can, Too!)

Post by Tell » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:29 pm

Got one a year ago. It sits on top of my PS4 (in which my brothers get sucked out of there money by EA) hosting a web server. Although I want to find a better use for it

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:23 pm

Raspberry Pi's are neat. I'd like to see someone make a fully functional Pip-Boy out of one.
Well, without the health measuring and inventory management, of course. And probably without the geiger counter, although that would be nice.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Why would you want to get rid of either of those? You log everything you carry for the inventory and store the data on a microSD, have a small health measuring device(eg fitbit or other) hooked up to monitor you, and the geiger counter is a must; I can think of at least 8 daily actions which would be made easier or more fun by a geiger counter.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:31 am

ACH0225 wrote:Why would you want to get rid of either of those? You log everything you carry for the inventory and store the data on a microSD, have a small health measuring device(eg fitbit or other) hooked up to monitor you, and the geiger counter is a must; I can think of at least 8 daily actions which would be made easier or more fun by a geiger counter.
Yeah, what I meant was that it's currently not possible for it to automatically log what you're carrying or wearing. But manually logging it would obviously be the alternative.
And for health measuring, I doubt this fitbit of yours can tell if you broke your leg. Measure your pulse and blood pressure, maybe. And if you have it permanently connected to your blood it could probably measure your blood sugar and tell if you've been poisoned. But until we have microbots we can't have total health measuring.
But I agree that if a geiger counter can be fit into the Pip-Boy, it is very much needed.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:34 am

Archduke Daynel wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:Why would you want to get rid of either of those? You log everything you carry for the inventory and store the data on a microSD, have a small health measuring device(eg fitbit or other) hooked up to monitor you, and the geiger counter is a must; I can think of at least 8 daily actions which would be made easier or more fun by a geiger counter.
Yeah, what I meant was that it's currently not possible for it to automatically log what you're carrying or wearing. But manually logging it would obviously be the alternative.
And for health measuring, I doubt this fitbit of yours can tell if you broke your leg. Measure your pulse and blood pressure, maybe. And if you have it permanently connected to your blood it could probably measure your blood sugar and tell if you've been poisoned. But until we have microbots we can't have total health measuring.
But I agree that if a geiger counter can be fit into the Pip-Boy, it is very much needed.
Well, if you had it hooked up to sensors in the soles of your feet, you could have it actively log when you gained substantial weight(remember, ammo has no weight), and then prompt you to add a name to it. If you used one of those old slide out phone keyboards to type, as it has no keyboard itself, then you could easily have it just prompt you to remove one of a list of items when you lost a weight coded to an item. For items weighing less than would be readily detectable, then having barcodes or other scanning image on everything would let you just scan it and add it to your inventory.

As for health measuring, if Scanadu Scout worked for your wrist, that would be the best option. Scanadu Scout measures, "temperature, heart rate, blood oxygenation, respiratory rate, ECG, and diastolic/systolic blood pressure", and if you used some sort of system to extrapolate that data into general health you could probably figure out a lot of stuff.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 am

ACH0225 wrote: Well, if you had it hooked up to sensors in the soles of your feet, you could have it actively log when you gained substantial weight(remember, ammo has no weight), and then prompt you to add a name to it. If you used one of those old slide out phone keyboards to type, as it has no keyboard itself, then you could easily have it just prompt you to remove one of a list of items when you lost a weight coded to an item. For items weighing less than would be readily detectable, then having barcodes or other scanning image on everything would let you just scan it and add it to your inventory.
This is impractical, what if you get wet? What if the sensors get damaged? What if you don't actually carry an entire arsenal of stuff with you you'd need to categorize?
You'd need special shoes or modules you'd put on the soles of them, and in a radioactive wasteland I imagine them to get worn out quite quickly.
As for health measuring, if Scanadu Scout worked for your wrist, that would be the best option. Scanadu Scout measures, "temperature, heart rate, blood oxygenation, respiratory rate, ECG, and diastolic/systolic blood pressure", and if you used some sort of system to extrapolate that data into general health you could probably figure out a lot of stuff.
Those seem to need to be placed to the forehead, not your wrists. I can't/haven't tried to find out how they work, but I'd assume that it'd view the position and condition of your head as a constant, which isn't as likely to be the case with your wrist.
(remember, ammo has no weight)
Bruh, do you even hardcore?

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:21 pm

Use waterproofing. Also, why would you let your shit get broken; that seems like a sure path to losing. As for the Scout, I'm sure that they'll make a modified version for other body parts. If not, we can just move your forehead to your wrist.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:41 am

I don't think getting your shit broken or not while out scavenging is something you can choose.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.