What I've learned in (community) college

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists
What I've learned in (community) college

Post by CMA » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:48 pm

Communications classes are basically tumblr
Core classes are often just highschool
The books are often useless and always expensive
Financial aid clerks like motivated people
The girls are weird looking and the guys are gay looking.
The students are dumb
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Re: What I've learned in (community) college

Post by Vinyl » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:01 pm

cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Community college. 13th grade.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:15 pm

CMA wrote:Communications classes are basically tumblr
Core classes are often just highschool
The books are often useless and always expensive
Financial aid clerks like motivated people
The girls are weird looking and the guys are gay looking.
The students are dumb

No communication classes

Classes that seem like highschool often aren't. Don't be like me and dismiss them, then have to learn the entire module just before the exam.

Lol, books.

I'm not eligible for financial aid anyway, no use for engineers where I'm from

True, also true.

I'm in the Engineers block, so not quite true. Despite attempts to convince me otherwise.

Learnt from half my 1st year into an Engineering Degree.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:32 pm

This reminds me of something I wanted to ask about.
I'm in the 9th grade now, and my parents came up with the idea of having me get my GED after 10th grade, getting my Associate through community college (I plan on going into engineering - either electrical or aerospace), and moving on to a 'proper' college/uni to get my Bachelor's and beyond. Neither myself nor my parents have the experience to tell how viable this is, so I kind of wanted to get your opinions - is it a decent idea?

Also, CMA, since you're here: I finally got my General license (plan on getting W0ONA as a vanity call soon), and I moved to Florida recently, so if you get an HF rig sometime...

Also, ask some of the gay-looking guys if they're interested in getting my Skype info. (This is only a joke if you want it to be one.)
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:36 am

CMA wrote:Communications classes are basically tumblr |Glad I don't have that crap on my list of madatory subjects
Core classes are often just highschool |No core classes
The books are often useless and always expensive |No books
Financial aid clerks like motivated people |My financial aid clerk is an angry angry officer
The girls are weird looking and the guys are gay looking. |The girls are arabs
The students are dumb | Yeah mostly
Well I don't think we really have an equivalent of community colleges here, the closest to it would probably be colleges that teach so called "Junior engineers" , unlike regular engineers they don't have an actual first degree but instead complete 13th and 14th grades in their subject of choice . To go there is not a must and is often a choice of those who couldnt get accepted to a full engineering degree straight away and their education is more akin to academic education with less crap subjects. Unlike engineers though their freedom of choice is quite limited and in places where both engineers and junior engineers study I get the feeling they come second to us. They cannot build their own schedules, they cannot choose who to study with and how to study, their attendance is mandatory and they do not praticipate in diff activities. Oh they also study in that crappy faraway campus on the other side of the town.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:06 pm

Also, advice, if you see one of these, run.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:10 pm

Lemme guess, roulette-based drinking game?
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:14 pm

Yep. What concerns me is a few of those are Absinthe -.-
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Tau wrote:This reminds me of something I wanted to ask about.
I'm in the 9th grade now, and my parents came up with the idea of having me get my GED after 10th grade, getting my Associate through community college (I plan on going into engineering - either electrical or aerospace), and moving on to a 'proper' college/uni to get my Bachelor's and beyond. Neither myself nor my parents have the experience to tell how viable this is, so I kind of wanted to get your opinions - is it a decent idea?
This kind of serious life decision thing is a question to ask college counselors, not the Internet. My high school had somebody whose entire job was to help students with questions like that, and everybody had meetings scheduled with them once or twice starting in 11th grade. If you don't have someone in a similar position, ask some of your professors who you can talk to about that--I'd be very surprised if they didn't know someone who could give you competent advice.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:39 pm

tau is homeschooled to the best of my knowledge.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:55 pm

From what I've heard a GED just looks bad period. And homeschool, homeschool is usually pretty * to deal with.

But yeah like Jedi said, go find a professional who's job is to do this. We're all probably working off the same information you have anyway.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:03 pm

The biggest problem with forgoing a high school diploma is what to do in the interim. A lot of the better paying jobs won't accept someone with just a GED; how will you pay for things while going to college, or even pay for college itself? And what happens if you wash out of your BD?

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Go for as many IGCSEs as you can get? I think Amerikaner universities accept those. Either way, you need professional help.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:45 am

Tau wrote:This reminds me of something I wanted to ask about.

Also, CMA, since you're here: I finally got my General license (plan on getting W0ONA as a vanity call soon), and I moved to Florida recently, so if you get an HF rig sometime...

Also, ask some of the gay-looking guys if they're interested in getting my Skype info. (This is only a joke if you want it to be one.)
DON'T GET A GED. Take the SAT first. If you do really well it'll be better to go through the rigmarole that is applying without accredited transcripts. If you do shitty then go ahead and get a GED. Also, the Community College thing is much better, but you will have to get good grades. Transferring takes intelligence, hard work, reccomendations(get to know your professors), and you'll probably "have deficiencies" because you're home schooled so expect up to three classes you take to basically not count. Might be different in Florida but that's how it was here. You'll probably make money off of just the PELL grant. I got 900 for both of these semesters.

And congratulations on your license! Right now I'm trying to find a driveable truck for ~$1000 but I'd like to get back into HAM... eventually.

And they aren't gay. Just weird and trying to look it. Sorry it took so long to respond, no internet where I'm currently living.
Last edited by CMA on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces