Hydrogen has a great heat capacity

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder
Re: Hydrogen has a great heat capacity

Post by Error » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:04 am

Liquid hydrogen is just that.

Combined with liquid oxygen and sparked, it goes boom.

Thus, rockets.

Fun fact: the Space Shuttle itself produced only steam as engine exhaust. Hooray LH/LOX fuel. The solid rocket boosters were.... less environmentally-friendly, but still.

Fun fact 2: the Shuttle could lift its own weight to orbit no problem. It just lacked the fuel without the external tank.

Fun fact 3: The Space Shuttle Main Engines (SSMEs) are the 2nd most powerful reaction drives on a manned spacecraft. Only the Apollo missions (Saturn V's F-1 engines) had moar powah.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:15 am

But Who's Counting? wrote:Liquid hydrogen is just that.

Combined with liquid oxygen and sparked, it goes boom.

Thus, rockets.

Fun fact: the Space Shuttle itself produced only steam as engine exhaust. Hooray LH/LOX fuel. The solid rocket boosters were.... less environmentally-friendly, but still.

Fun fact 2: the Shuttle could lift its own weight to orbit no problem. It just lacked the fuel without the external tank.

Fun fact 3: The Space Shuttle Main Engines (SSMEs) are the 2nd most powerful reaction drives on a manned spacecraft. Only the Apollo missions (Saturn V's F-1 engines) had moar powah.
Pretty soon they might be number one. On the SLS in development if the engines pass testing they'll be cranked up much higher then what they were on the space shuttle.

Also SLS gonna be fucking awesome. USA USA USA
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:01 pm

Liquid oxygen tends to make things explode.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Only if mishandled.

So... don't mishandle it?

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Baby, you gotta know how to touch that oxygen.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:38 am

I'm pretty sure it would crush your components if they're not shielded.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:59 pm

Saravanth wrote:I'm pretty sure it would crush your components if they're not shielded.
I only have three components and they'll be plenty far away from excessive pressure due to their sensitive nature.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler: