Literary Exploits

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran
Literary Exploits

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:22 pm

So, why I wasted a lot of last year doing god-knows-what, I have being doing a lot of writing. Some of you my like to read said writing. Some of you may even enjoy it.
The following are bits of stories I have written. Despite them having the same (sometimes) characters, they are not related, as they represent me trying out different genres for the (essentially same) story.

This one's self contained and makes the most sense of all them. So if you want to read anything, I'd recommend this one:

Spoiler:
As a young girl, Daisy had often looked up at the skies of a night-time and gazed upon the stars that danced their celestial paths across the sky. This, she understood, was not an uncommon practice amongst children like her. She had often read about famous astronauts who had begun like her with their heads tilted skyward towards the vast expanse of the cosmos. Her father had even admitted to it being one of his greatest inspirations. However, unlike her friends, Daisy’s unique experiences had forced her to adopt a far less idealistic view of what lay beyond Earth. She didn’t see space as some new ocean to be crossed or the final frontier in human exploration, but rather an infinite expanse of cold, dark isolation. A place where one misplaced calculation or a tiny crack in the thin shell between you and the void would warrant in your untimely, inevitably gruesome demise.
She had come to this pragmatic realisation while still at a young age, and the echoes of the grim reality she faced continued to be a driving force throughout her life. A force which had helped her survive through many experiences that she had no real right to walk away from. A force which was telling the much older Daisy that now clung desperately to a wrung on the hull of the Aurora to tremble violently and perspire to the point where she was beginning to regret not donning one the air-conditioned suits that Captain Grant had so generously offered to her several minutes prior. It certainly wasn’t out of some buried notion of astraphobia- it was a completely healthy, realistic view. Although, perhaps, her grip was a bit too tight for the soft metal to handle.
She blamed Ovak for this. How she could have ever been so stupid as to let a robot talk her into experience something for “the incredible beauty of it” was completely beyond her current comprehension. There she was at breakfast with the rest of the crew haply enjoying a bowl of real cornflakes when he had sat down in front of her with that perfectly simulated knowing smile of his. In retrospect, she probably would have referred to it as ‘grinning like an idiot’. But then he said that he had the most wonderful idea ever that she positively must try - in those words no less – after her mumbled response she found herself half carried, half shoved out the airlock. She took note that if any of them ever wanted to stage a mutiny, there really wasn’t much she could do.
The damn tin can probably knew how much she hated space. No, he definitely knew. Daisy took another hesitant glance upward, which only caused her to reel and grip the railing tighter. Right now she wanted nothing more than to repurpose Ovak as a toaster.
Then again, he rarely did things without a good reason. No, he never did things without a good reason. What was he trying to accomplish? Is he trying to make me face my fears … shortcomings? Unlikely; it’s not like space travel is something any of them were likely to be doing again anytime soon. Is he trying to make me look like a bad leader? She was pretty sure that would contradict his base programming. Still, it’s was pointless to speculate now. She really needed to face her shortcomings and let go of the railing, or face abject humiliation at the hands of her so-called friends for the rest of their trip.
Then again, maybe if could roll over she could see. She got halfway through the roll before she decided against it and turned back to glistening ceramic in front of her. There was no way she was going out there. She would just lie about letting go. They’d never know the difference and she wouldn’t be ridiculed.
She began to climb back up the ladder but was interrupted by static in her earpiece, followed by Ovak’s voice; “Daisy, we can all see you. We’re not letting you in until you let go of the ship.”
Daisy banged her head against the nearest wrung several times. That was a stupid idea. Of course it was. She should’ve known they’d be watching. There was no getting around it, she was going to have to let go.
She remembered what her father had used to tell her about facing your fears. That our deepest fear is not that we’re inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It gave her some solace as a child, until she learned that it wasn’t his quote at all but that it belonged to some 20th Century lecturer. Thanks Dad, for lying to me. The advice still held though. She could let go, and face the void. It’s not like she really had a choice.
I can do this, she thought, I can do this. I am going to this. Right…. “Now!” she concluded with a shout. She screw her eyes shut and threw herself away from the railing and into the void. She made it all of fifty meters out before she had to fire her manoeuvring thrusters and slow her pace to a crawl. Entirely out of practical concern. Perhaps with a mite of fear.
She tried to calm herself. Ten breaths. Ten slow breaths. That’s what her father had taught her to do when she was sad, when she was angry, or when she afraid. The action helped when she was feeling any one of those, but experience had told her that is was futile to quell all three at once.
Now calmer, she opened her eyes. The sun shone brightly down onto the top of the Aurora, painting the tiles in a brilliant glow. Starting from somewhere underneath the ship and stretching above her line of sight was the Milky Way. It was a dominating expanse of stars and dust that floated amongst the ether, beckoning her into the wonder of the universe. Maybe she was wrong and Ovak didn’t have a reason, and he simply did wish her to experience the beauty of space.
She stared into the expanse for nearly a whole minute before being interrupted by Ovak. “You see, it was worth it, wasn’t it?” He paused for a few seconds, seeming talking to someone in the background, “Spike’s had an idea. Hold still, we’re sending something out to you.” Daisy was happy to oblige.
It was only a brief moment before her earpiece flared into life again, this time with the coarser voice of Spike; “We sent ya a little present. We think you’ll know what ta do with it.”
Daisy give a little bit of thrust and glided back to the air lock. Floating there was a bottle of champagne. Krug, Vintage 2051. She regarded it with a strange burning in her heart. Not taking her eyes away from the bottle, she took off her helmet. She doubted she really needed it. Her ears popped, and her tongue tingled as all the moisture instantly evaporated. The sensation of the air being sucked from her lungs was unpleasant, but not painful. It was peaceful. She could feel the warmth of the sun on her head, and the quiet enfolded her like a blanket.
Carefully placing her helmet beside her, Daisy grabbed the bottle and popped the cork. She put her thumb over the seal to stop of from instantly vaporising, and raised it. “Here’s to you, Dad, you crazy bastard. Perhaps you were on to something after all.” He would’ve given anything to experience space as she could and be to here with her now. She took a swig of the bottle. She only managed to get a few drops, but it was enough. It wasn’t really meant for her anyway.

This one's also self contained, but is a lot longer:

Spoiler:
The Daedalus Affliction

Daisy sat in the waiting room, doing her best to look innocuous. It wasn’t working well; the other patients were all cowering in the opposite corner. She didn’t usually care about her intimidating appearance or the effect it had on others, but it certainly didn’t help her confidence.
The bell rang as another patient walked out of Dr Yonto’s office. Daisy shifted uncomfortably on her seat, apprehensive. She bit her tongue for a second then blurted out, “This is a bad idea.”
The plasticine figure of Ovak turned to face her. There was definitely something off about the face he was wearing today, but Daisy couldn’t quite put her finger on it. He raised an eyebrow. “We agreed this was the best course of action.”
“I think you mean that you did the agreeing for me.” There was a hint of bitterness in Daisy’s tone.
“You said yourself that you are in a state of emotional unrest. Dr Yonto can help you. Hence, I booked this appointment.”
“I said I wanted to talk to someone. I didn’t mean a psychologist!”
“Considering the circumstances, I don’t believe there’s anyone you should, or indeed even could, trust. The only option was to vie for someone who is legally bound to keep your past – or future as the case may be – a secret. Don’t worry, the neuro-inhibiters you have taken will start to take effect in a moment. You should have no problem ¬-”
“Ms Belus, Dr Yonto will see you now.” A secretary had appeared at the doorway. She smiled nervously at Daisy’s scowl and, making an odd humming sound, scuttled back to the front desk.
“Do you see what I mean? You need to stop intimidating everyone you meet. I’m sure you’ll be fine. I can stay with you, if you really want.” Ovak stood and began moving to the doorway.
Daisy pulled a puzzled face. I’m not that intimidating, am I? Surely not. She followed Ovak and moved toward the doorway, trying not to be offended at the way a patient pulled his son close and glared at her. She had to duck slightly to fit under the door frame.
Daisy was impressed with Dr. Yonto’s office: he clearly had good taste: insomuch as he had an affinity to the colour red. It had the same polished wooden floor as the waiting room, partially covered with a large patterned cinnamon rug. The walls were a vivid vermillion. The table was hewn from an expensive redwood, as was the shelf behind it. The chairs boasted red leather upholstery.
Dr. Yonto greeted Daisy with a warm simile. “I see you like my little office. Is it the red? I’ve always loved the colour. I say that red is like the fire of the human spirit. Probably doesn’t compare to anything you’re used to though.” He smiled and offered a hand to shake. Daisy tried her best not to break it; but even so, it was unlikely he would be writing anything for a few days.
Cradling his injured hand and doing his best to ignore the pain, he sat behind his desk. “I’ve heard a lot about you, Ms. Belus. I’m very honoured to have you here. It’s not every day we get patients from the future. Although, I’m guessing that’s partly why you’re here; am I right? You’re having some difficulty adjusting to a… normal life?”
Daisy nodded.
“I thought as much, your son seemed quite concerned for your wellbeing when he contacted us.”
Wait… son? Daisy was puzzled, but a glance over to Ovak helped her to realize what she’d missed about him before. His appearance seemed strange because it seemed similar to her own. He must’ve posed as her son to bypass the medical laws and get her in here. Clever ploy. She sat down on the couch, which she hadn’t noticed at first, tucked away from the door as it was. She didn’t really want to break any of Yonto’s chairs. “In all honesty, I don’t really know why I’m here. It was his idea”. She gestured to Ovak who was standing by the door as bolt as a signpost. Yonto swivelled to face him. “Well, what seems to be the problem?”
“She’s experiencing multiple symptoms of PTSD. She is prone to outbursts of anger, recklessness, nightmares, anxiety and also lack of empathy towards others.”
“Oh my. Nothing I need to be worried about, is there?” He gave a friendly wink to Daisy.
Daisy practically growled, but not entirely with malice. “Just so long as you never do that again.” She sighed. “So, do you really want to know what happened?”
Yonto placed his hands on the desk empathetically. “If that’s where you wish to begin, then by all means.”
Daisy sighed again. This wasn’t going to be the easiest conversation she had. Still, couldn’t hurt to try. Maybe Ovak was right and it would help her get over her past “tragedies”. She could always kill Yonto if worse came to worse.
On second thoughts, maybe that would be a bad idea. She briefly looked over the room, and decided she really had nothing to lose. It shouldn’t be too hard to turn Yonto into a pale shivering figure; and it sure would be fun to watch.
“Tell me, doctor, do you know why I look the way I do?”
“I only know what I’ve heard on the news. Although I presume it’s the result of gene mods? Expensive ones, by the looks of things.” He gave another smile. If Daisy had a dollar…
Struggling not to roll her eyes, Daisy continued. “Obviously. But do you know why?”
Yonto shook his head. Daisy noted Ovak leaving the room. He clearly wanted Daisy to handle this herself, for “maximum benefit” or some such.
“I thought as much.” She paused. “Tell me, doctor, do you have a family?”
He looked vaguely pensive. “I had a wife.”
“I see. So you know what it feels like then.”
“Like what feels like?”
“To lose someone.” He nodded empathetically. Daisy detected a slight loss of colour in his face already. She pressed on. “Now tell me, what lengths would you have gone to in order to save your wife?”
“It was a prion disease. Completely incurable.”
“Say you could. What lengths would you go to?”
“I… I don’t know.”
“Would you die for her? To save her?”
“Yes.”
“Would you kill?”
“I… maybe. Yes. Yes I would. What are you getting at?”
Daisy nodded with an air of satisfaction. “What am I getting at? It’s quite simple doctor. I turned myself into a living weapon; sacrificing decades off my life, sacrificing whole chunks of my humanity for one simple purpose: to protect the ones I loved. To protect my family.” She took a deep, but shaky breath. Her next words were spoken in a tone uncharacteristic of her stoic character “And I failed.”
Yonto was quick to pick up the thread. “Not entirely. You still have your son don’t you? Ovak, he said his name was. Right?”
Daisy gave a mirthless chuckle. “Ovak is a synthetic; a robot. You seriously couldn’t tell?” Yonto shook his head in confusion. “No? Well, he is… was… a commander in the 4th Enforcer regiment. He came with me from the future to help me stop Lapsus.”
Yonto seemed genuinely surprised. Daisy considered offering him a reference to an optometrist.
“My son – my real son: Myke – died. I failed him. And my husband - Reymond. I failed them both, doctor.” She paused for a moment. The pills she’d taken earlier were starting to take effect- she had stopped choking up on her words and her mind was becoming quieter by the minute.
“I see. Do you want to talk about it? You don’t have to if you don’t want, of course.”
She was feeling better by the second. Oh, this was going to be fun.
“I can trust you not to reveal anything I may say about the future? I have spent a great deal of time being vague in all the interviews I’ve been pushed into, and I probably don’t need to tell you what repercussion there might be if information I might reveal about the future were to get around in this time.”
“Of course: everything is private. One of the few places left where that can be said earnestly. No electronic records: everything’s on paper. No-one has access to your records that you don’t want to.”
“Good. So tell me, doctor, what have you heard about me?”
“As I said, only what I’ve seen in the news. You’re from some vague apocalyptic future and you came back to stop the boy who apparently caused the whole thing. You had half the Enforcer Corps chasing after you before you finally convinced them that you weren’t a lunatic and in turn they helped you track him down and put him in cryosleep. Personally, I’d say you have a tendency to be a little… sarcastic – if I was to be brutally honest. But I think you know that much already.” He tried a smile again; this one with a hint of apology.
“All correct doctor. Now, what I haven’t told the news station is who exactly this “boy” is. You see, his name is Lapsus; and he is my brother.”
“Your brother? But that would make you… Daisy? You… abducted your younger self?”
“It would seem the answer to that was apparent.”
“Why?”
“Simple, really. I knew from my own experience my reaction to… unexpected familial departures. Lapsus and I had drifted apart by the time the bastard betrayed us all, but in this time…. In this time I was very much protective of him. My original aim was to come back to a time before I met him and then I wouldn’t need to explain to my younger self why he needed a bullet in the head.”
“Sorry, met him?”
“He was adopted… in a manner of speaking. He escaped from an illegal research facility. My family took him in.”
“That would explain his… gifts.” Yonto mumbled more to himself than Daisy.
“He’s the bastard that brought down The Veil and ruined the world. My brother.” Daisy paused, picking up the earlier threads. “My husband and I met in a military programme. We’d both been selected for experimental gene and bionic enhancements- apparently with both had the DNA for it. Why you need good genes in order to modify them is beyond me, but that’s what the doctors told us. Physically, the risk was enormous, but in terms of remuneration-“ Daisy paused and considered her past occupation.
“It was worth it.” Daisy nodded affirmatively. “We, along with the fifteen others in the programme were tasked with taking down Lapsus. We were the only two on the mission that had any personal investment – Lapsus had betrayed me and Rey’s wife and infant son had been killed when Lapsus brought down The Veil. We became close in the months of chasing Lapsus do the depths of Hell and back. He was desperate to escape the memory of his past- to move on. I was desperately clinging onto the Lapsus I once knew as a child. We… balanced each other out; I suppose. And so, once Lapsus ran out of ferret holes to hide and we finally brought him in, we stayed together- drawing ourselves into a mutual balance. Six months later, we got married. I was 23 then, but I’d already seen more in the world than most people do in a lifetime. It wasn’t war - not at least as far as I can tell – but there were some things that happened on that hunt that are best left unspoken.”
“Experiences you and Reymond shared.”
“Exactly. And so we had Myke and for twelve years we were a happy family. I learnt to let go of the past, and Rey learnt to remember it and together we raised Myke with all the skill a widower and a warrior could muster. Which was, needless to say, not all that much. Myke wasn’t exactly the easiest of children.” Daisy smiled with melancholy at the memories of her son – fancy pills could only do so much to her.
“So he wasn’t easy. Provided a bit of a challenge for you then?”
“Oh! All the time. It didn’t help that he was very bright. But we still loved him, every time he got caught hacking into the school computer systems or making homemade weapons, or what have you. But we also worried for him – we were worried that one day he’d do something he’d regret and the consequences would be greater than a few detentions or a week of being grounded.” Daisy paused.
“We were right of course. He did end up doing something stupid. So, so stupid.” The sensation inside her was funny. She could feel the pain deep inside her yet the drugs smothered them like a blanket of snow. It was still there. Just hidden. Daisy loved the snow. 2137 had been the first year it was cold enough to snow in decades; it was the first time Daisy had seen it in real life. It was a week before Myke’s tenth birthday when it first happened. It was all over the news: ‘A great testament to the miraculous work of geoengineering- repairing the planet bit by bit’.
“Do you wish to continue?”
Daisy realised she hadn’t said anything for nearly a minute. She shook herself out of the snow. “Yes, sorry. Do you know it snows? In the future? It snows again.”
“It sounds wonderful, Ms. Ticron.”
“It is. Was. Will be?”
Yonto laughed, almost causing Daisy to spontaneously smile.
She continued. “But yes, for twelve years we were a happy family. Then something unthinkable happened. Lapsus escaped. Nobody knew how, he was put into a virtual reality and kept in a coma. But somehow he did: he destroyed twenty guards- both synthetic and human. Mercilessly. And then he vanished. Fearing that he may try and bring down The Veil again, new security measures were installed. What we didn’t realize at the time was that Lapsus planted the ideas for these security measure into the minds of the programmers. And so, what we did to protect our world became its undoing.” Daisy stopped to consider the irony
“Lapsus took control over the system and turned it against us. Every centrally-based synthetic, computer, and machine fell under his control. More than eighty percent of all systems. The Enforcers that were left had no choice but to reactivate old pre-Veil military systems. They were primitive, but they were foreign to Lapsus and therefore secure.”
“What happened next?”
“What do think happened next? War. Carnage. Death. Sometimes it seemed far away. My team was a perfect fighting machine: we could win every battle. But we were only human, we could never win the war. We hit all the factories we could to stop him from producing more weapons and synthetics. Power plants too. It slowed him down, for a bit. But in the end, ‘slow him down’ was all we could do. He used chemical weapons on unshielded cities and refugee camps. Hundreds of millions died. There were a few safe places: the city of Novus was a globally sourced space-habitat, capable of supporting millions of people. It became one of the largest safe-houses.” Daisy paused and took a deep breath. Just when her life had begun to become normal, war had to drag her back.
She continued. “The ‘unthinkable’ has happened so many times in my life you’d think I wouldn’t have been surprised when Rey died. I knew what we were doing- what we were risking. Having a child… it changes you. You see the world differently. We couldn’t leave Myke alone, but we knew that if we didn’t fight, didn’t protect him – that there wouldn’t be a world left for him. That’s how we justified it to ourselves. Every synthetic we shot, crushed, burnt, or electrocuted was for Myke. But then Rey… died…” Daisy choked under the memory. The drugs kept the feeling fuzzy, but it still smothered her – like a blanket of snow.
Yonto was becoming paler as Daisy’s tale went on. He lived in a world were peace was supreme and war was a distant but dark memory. The future Daisy laid out before him was the stuff of fiction and nightmares. It was no wonder she had risked everything to come back and change it. He brought his full attention back to Daisy as she regained her composure.
“I lost it after that. The web of lies I constructed to keep myself going had been slashed straight through. My team continued on without me, but with ever diminishing hope. The Aurora arrived from Tartarus. But it could only carry so many people…”
“Sorry… the what?”
“Oh… sorry.” The question caught Daisy completely off guard, shattering the drama she’d been building somewhat. “The Aurora. It was the first FTL ship ever made. You’d probably find it’s under construction right now if you bothered to take a look.”
“I see.” He made a mental note to investigate further while he waited for Daisy to continue.
Daisy puzzled for a moment. “But yes… the Aurora came. It was going to ferry as many people to Mars as it could. The colonies there could support a bit over a million people. There was a lottery. It was unpopular, but fair. Myke was among those chosen but he refused to go. He insisted on staying with me. His place was taken by an office worker for a green-energy firm. Or at least it would’ve been. Had… Had…”
“Had what, Ms. Belus?” Yonto leaned forward intently.
“I’d sunk into a terrible state. Myke was on the verge of running away, he was so scared. He admitted that to me later. But I didn’t know it at the time. I hardly remember anything from those long weeks. Only pain, and anger, and fear. Some days I remember clearer than others. I woke one morning in more lucid state to find police in my bedroom. They say I murdered him. The office worker. I must’ve somehow thought that he was stealing Myke’s place aboard the Aurora. Destruction was my forte, so I acted. I didn’t even know.”
“That must’ve been terrible for you. To not even remember…”
“Oh, not really. I think forgetting is far better than remembering. It’s not like I needed another face to add to my nightmares. Besides, there weren’t really any consequences. What with the world ending and all. The police force was jury-rigged together. They were there to stop rioting and keep the people from spreading more chaos from being wrought. They had more important things to do than worry about petty murder.” Petty murder. I suppose everything only matters in its perspective.
“I… see…”
“Anyway, I was needed back in action on the ‘frontline’, as it were. While the Aurora evacuated citizens and what military we could muster held Lapsus’ army at bay, I was tasked with escorting people into the old bunkers. I didn’t know at the time, but the plan was to carpet bomb the entire surface of the Earth with anti-matter weapons. The emergency government we had knew it was the only way to ensure the survival of humans as species. Unfortunately, it involved destroying all of civilization and killing billions. Still, it beats the nuclear option. At least we could start rebuilding immediately rather than having to wait centuries to be able to step outside.”
“I’m in no position to pass judgement, but either option seems pretty desperate to me.”
“Oh, we were desperate. We were very, very desperate. So I was trafficking refugees into bunkers, with the aid of what soldiers and synthetics we could spare. It was getting close to the date of the bombing, the Aurora was making its last trip and I was escorting the last group - around a thousand: families, children. Myke was among them. I still hadn’t been told what was going to happen, but I had an inkling. It made my work harder- I knew that for every man, woman, and child that I brought underground there were a hundred more out there somewhere, who were going to die. Not just die, but have their entire existence erased- every last trace of them. ‘Save as many as I could.’ That was my motto. My plan. It kept me on track. My love for my son may have kept me going in the early stages, but after Rey… I had to accept that the world was bigger than just myself and my family. And no matter how bad I felt… there was someone else out there who had lost more, or was going to lose more than I ever did.”
“Under the circumstances, I am very impressed you managed to keep going.”
“It wasn’t easy. Even after I managed to wrangle the psychological breakdowns under control, I was still plagued physically by gene mods, which had become even more extreme and experimental. When I wasn’t on missions I spent my time studying biochemistry and genetics, so I could provide some input into the whole process. A combination of my tactical knowledge and the newfound scientific knowledge meant that I had some practical ideas, actually. One problem we encountered was on the aerial front.” She closed her eyes and remembered the sounds of the drones that brought death with them.
She opened her eyes. “We had very few ways to combat their aircraft. We jury-rigged as many civilian aircraft as we could, but Lapsus had control over all the Enforcer craft. Then I had this wild idea to give our soldiers wings. At first, Ovak and the other officers thought I was insane. But it made sense, really. Normal humans are far too heavy for powered flight, but super-soldiers like myself are far lighter. Plus, the weapons they had were designed to destroy electronic equipment- not people. Except for their neurotoxin, which only had partial effects on super-soldiers anyway. So I had Ovak graft artificially grown wings onto a group of volunteer soldiers. And Myke as well: I was giving him many of the mods I thought were reliable. To keep him safe. The whole thing was a crazy plan, or as Ovak put it; it was an idea so insane that only a human could’ve come up with it.” Daisy smiled. “But it worked. Lapsus didn’t expect it and there was little he could do to counter it.”
“Curious tactic. Not that I’d know.”
“As I said, we were desperate. Now, where was I up to?”
“You were escorting a group of refugees to a bunker.”
Daisy’s smile dropped. “Right. Well, there I was, escorting a group of a few thousand into an old bunker. We were having a whale of a time, as you might expect, what with them whining the whole way. I don’t know what they were complaining about, they had trucks to ride in. I had to fly. So, progress was slow. To make matters worse, there was a patrol group of synthetics in the area- it was a road we used commonly and Lapsus knew that. We used cloaking technology to hide ourselves, but that was only a long-distance measure. We knew that if they got too close, they’d call in back-up and then there’d be attack craft all over us and a few canisters of nerve-gas later there’d be nothing but a few thousand corpses, broken machinery and me, probably. I’d survived an attack like that before. I’ve seen a lot of devastation in my lifetime, doctor, but that scene haunts me every day. And night.” Daisy paused, trying to shake of the ghosts of twisted figures, caught frozen in the agony of their deaths.
“It sounds like you have lot of that. Haunting, that this.” Daisy noticed his voice was thin, but with a surprising undercurrent of resoluteness. But she ignored his comment.
“They called rest. On the second night of travel. They refused to sleep in a moving truck, and insisted they set up a camp. I told them they were being idiots. But the rule of any group is that the intelligence falls to the lowest common denominator. I counter-insisted we needed to press on or risk being discovered. If it had just been a group of idiot refugees, I might’ve been fine to let them get themselves all killed. But with Myke there…. I wasn’t happy. Not happy at all.” Daisy’s train of thought wandered elsewhere.
“You know, when I first had the idea for wings Ovak suggested we call it the Daedalus Squadron. I told him that would be a bad idea, because Daedalus lost his son and that wasn’t really something I wanted to happen to me. We ended up calling ourselves The Valkyries.” She snorted. “Given what happened, Daedalus would’ve been better. Or at least more ironic.”
“And what did happen?”
“Exactly what I knew would happen. The patrol found us. They sent off for air support. I and the other soldiers who were flight-capable flew out to try and stop them while Ovak and the rest stayed with the convoy to put up a force-field and protect the refugees. We were very lucky- Lapsus was orchestrating a large attack on Tokyo and so there were few aircraft in the area. Well, maybe not lucky, but it meant our chances of survive jumped from zero to highly unlikely. Many of the soldiers had their families with them in the convoy, and they fought to their last breaths to protect them. In the end it came to a stalemate between a gunship that had some sort of shielding from the EM weapons we were using and myself.”
Daisy paused and took a long breath. “Ovak and the other soldiers were fairing little better trying to hold off another similar ship that was attacking the force-field. It was then that Myke made the wonderful decision to come and help me. I told to him never try and help me. I told him he’d be hurt, or worse. I told him that all the mods I made him undertake were for emergencies. I drilled it into him. But he didn’t listen. He never listened. Ovak tried to stop him, but Myke was too smart for his own good. He knew just what to say to Ovak to let him go. When a human threatens suicide, a synthetic always must always do what is in their power to prevent it. Did you know that, doctor?”
“No, I can’t say I did. Makes sense though.”
“Oh, normally it does. Here though… he cleverly exploited a piece of programming designed to stop people from being stupid and throwing away their lives, and in doing so threw away his own.” Daisy paused as a fresh blanket of emotion threatened to smother her. Anger at her son for disobeying her most important instruction and for being so reckless. Anger at herself for not doing more to try and stop him, for putting thoughts into his head by giving him the mods. But above all, a sense of emptiness as she recollected the events of that night and remembered the dread as she saw Myke approaching, watched him burn, watched him fall.
“Ms. Belus?”
“I’m sorry.” She shook herself back into lucidity, allowing the drugs to take away the pain. “Ten millilitres of propane. That’s all it took to kill him. He came in blundering like an idiot without any armour and only a rifle as a weapon. He was just a child, and no threat - but that didn’t matter. Not to the drone, and not to Lapsus watching from some screen in his bunker. I didn’t see him hit the ground, but I did see him fall.” She paused.
“It was almost beautiful, in a way. The feeling you get from watching something like that… it’s empty and hollow. And so I watched in emptiness as my only son fell in slow motion; weaving the most intricate patterns through the air in a trail of flame and smoke. I don’t remember what happened next. According to Ovak, I was lying in the forest a few hundred meters form the camp site with traces of neurotoxin in my system riddled with bullet holes. I guess the drone must’ve hit me when I was distracted. I was cursed to survive. Damn Ovak. And damn the mods.”
“Is surviving really a curse? We all lose people, eventually. I know that’s not what you want to hear, and I don’t mean to diminish the horrific events you’ve gone through in any way, Ms. Belus, but I do want you to think about it. In the end, all we are, all we become, are the memories of those whose lives we touch. We die, yet we live on in the memories of our friends and families. To be a survivor, it means to carry the burden of memory. You can never get the people you love back, but you will always remember them, and so they will live on.”
“I… guess… you’re right.”
Yonto nodded slowly. “You must’ve spent some time with the refugees once you reached the bunker? Surely they lost people. Did you discuss your son with any of them?”
“Oh, I did. A bit. But Ovak was forced to activate a teleporter to get the refugees to safety. And believe me, they aren’t any safer in the future. Between that, the soldiers we lost, and the people who died after the ships breached Ovak’s force-field, nearly a third of the convoy were dead or injured. Everyone had lost someone. So many were caught up in their own woes that few even began to think about others’ troubles. And I don’t blame them. I wanted to the same, but I had a duty. And as much as I loved my son, and wanted to do nothing more than roll over and die at that moment, to not exist anymore, I knew that I still had to protect those people.”
“This may sound pathetic, Ms. Belus, but I find that quite inspirational. So many people now-days think their own problems are more important than those of others.”
“Ha. Well, it was that or let anarchy and panic rule. So, I did what I could. I added Myke to the memorial the refugees were building to all the people they’d lost over the past few months. When you see that your son is just one of dozens, hundreds. Millions. It… helped in a way.” Daisy paused for a long while.
“Ovak found the body, when he was looking for me in the forest. He gave him a soldier’s burial having carried me half-conscious to watch. It’s a bit vague, in here”, she tapped her head, “but I remember it was beautiful. There were wild flowers growing. It was nice to see something unspoilt by humans; something not burnt by Lapsus’ synthetic army.” She shifted her thoughts.
“As I said, maybe they should’ve called us the Daedalus Squadron after all. That’s how it went, didn’t it? A man and his son try to free themselves from oppression, so the man builds them wings to fly away on. He tells his son to be careful, but the son doesn’t listen, and falls into the sea. Difference is, Icarus was so swept up in the beauty of the moment that he lost himself and his wings melted under the warmth of the sun. He died surrounded in beauty. Myke… he may have lost himself when he tried to help me, but he was lost in fear, not beauty. Lapsus had seen to that.” Daisy stopped for a moment.
“But then there he was: surrounded by colour and tranquillity. Seeing him laid to rest in the wildflowers… it wasn’t just him being buried, it was every child on the planet. All of them having their lives torn apart by war and death. All of them eventually betrayed and slaughtered by their own leaders, who were so desperately trying to save humankind that they may just have lost humanity. That’s what I saw in Myke as he lay in the wildflowers. And even though at that moment I couldn’t have put a sentence together: that was when I knew.”
Her gazed hardened with a determination of a warrior. The determination of a mother.
“That’s when I knew I had to come back.”

And here's what I'm currently writing (it's kind of a history textbook for a made up history of Earth). It's unfinished, but there's enough there to be worthy of a post.
Spoiler:
Introduction, or a Brief History of Magic
The discovery and progression of magic to its current all-encompassing state over recent centuries owes itself to a long and arduous history full of struggles and challenges. There were a number of times in history that the practice of magic would’ve died out completely if it weren’t for the actions of a few souls who continued to practise; even against the authorities of their times.

Pre History (1.5b y.a.- 10,000 y.a.)
Magic has appeared within several species over the eons, all of which appear to share a common ancestor some 1.5 billion years ago. It is believed that a natural magic phenomena such as the collapse of a Barrier or some starlight mechanism occurred that irradiated a portion of the Earth, thereby mutating the DNA of the proto-bacteria in the region and allowing for the expression of magical abilities. This is why the MNA of modern magical creatures all have the same base structure, with further carrier-particles allowing for expressions of different abilities. The processes of magical mutation and information of MNA and the lineage of modern magical creatures are expanded on the Biomancy chapter (Ch. 17)
While the use of magic may seem to be an obvious advantage in the race of evolution, in actual fact it is more comparable to the development of a fifth leg- unwieldy and unnecessary. It is very easy for a magic user to overexert themselves and destroy their central nervous system or otherwise injure themselves by the use of magic which is inherently unpredictable in its nature. This is why the number of successful magical species have been quite low. Compounding this was the taxing nature of magic on mental faculties, requiring the development of more powerful brains that for millions of years simply didn’t exist. Fortunately, the MNA genes remained- albeit dormant awaiting those rare mutants who did manage to use magic effectively. They would have a significant survival advantage over non-magical creatures.
Unlike all other magical animals, humans did not naturally evolve to use magic but have learnt to artificially stimulate the MNA through the introduction of artificial carrier-particles (Aside from a few extremely rare mutants). This is achieved through the use of high-voltage electricity which, on passing through the magic field created by the MNA, will spontaneously transmorph into carrier-particles allowing for the use of magical abilities. This is called the awakening (of dormant abilities). For most of human history, the only way to activate these abilities was through exposure to lightning, meaning that magical abilities within humans were exceedingly rare. The consumption of/exposure to magical plants or animals will often lead to carrier-particles entering the system. This can have a range of effects depending on the origin of the carrier-particles and the nature of the exposure, which has led to the development of P/T (potions and tinctures) as an area of study for magical researchers. The nature of the awaking and the processes of interaction between physical and magical phenomena are expanded on in chapter 2. P/T are expanded on in chapters 20-22.
For the past several tens of millions of years, there have been instances where atypical magical creatures arise- monsters. While in more recent history many of these have their origins in human biomancy experiments or magical accidents, the ones created in prehistory have quite different origins. It is known that fluctuations in the Earth’s magnetic field, interactions with ionized solar wind and various other electromagnetic disturbances effect magical fields. Records of these disturbances based on variations of carrier-particle decay in fossil records show extremely high natural magical activity in the areas where monsters have arisen. It is believed that these high levels of magical activity can occasionally spontaneously mutate the MNA within (particularly receptive) magical animals resulting in a biomancic reaction and the creation of a new monster. It is curious to note that most monsters have negligible senescence (they do not age), and rarely stray from their point of inception. Even though it is usually thousands of years (at the minimum) between the creation of monsters, due to their lack of a natural lifespan and (usually) formidable abilities, it is very rarely that one dies and as such their numbers have built up over the eons. It is important to note that there are many monsters that are purely mythical. It isn’t too far of an extension for a primitive Ancient Greek to go from seeing the Hydra to dreaming up The Typhoon. Monsters are discussed in chapter 5.

Early History (10,000 – 2,200 y.a.)
The exceeding rarity of magical abilities in early humans often lead to a reverence for those with powers. Combined with the lack of communication and information storage the research into magic was almost non-existent. As a result, practisers would stick to what abilities came naturally and easily. Healing abilities and premonitions are both highly subconscious magical processes and were some of the most common forms of primitive magic. Understandably, a lot of magical practices became intertwined with religion. Sites across Europe from the early Bronze Age show the use of beaten sheets of metal attached to dead trees, cliffs, or rarely to monoliths. It is believed these served as lightning rods designed to attract lightning for the purpose of awakening- almost certainly as part of a religious ceremony. Along with these opulent metal-clad rods, there is evidence that numerous natural rods (again; trees, cliffs, hills, etc.) were also used. Because it was believed that being struck by lightning (and surviving), and thereby being awaked, was seen as a great honour- that one was “chosen by the gods”, it was likely that only a lucky few- high ranking warriors, leaders or the apprentices of current magic users ever got to use such lightning-rods. The wealth of the offerings made to the gods that have been discovered and such rods seems to confirm this. Surviving oral traditions, carvings, and archaeological searches of sites have revealed that many magic users became leaders with reverence of them often becoming worship. Being awakened would undoubtedly be seen as a divine power intervening with the mortal world- confirming the awoken to be a mighty and unstoppable force. Many leaders would uses these beliefs to consolidate their reign. Almost of the most successful Stone Age and Bronze Age kings were practisers of magic.
P/T saw some development over this time. Duties of P/T making were often relegated to magic users or their non-magical apprentices. Hunting of magical creatures for their useful properties quickly resulted in population decimation. Continental unicorns were all but extinct by the dawn of the Roman Empire- the healing properties of alicorn were highly sought after and their inability to be domesticated meant that they had little other use. Behemoths too were hunted for the strength and size enhancement their meat brought, and the incredible versatility of their hide. They became extinct in Asia and Europe- the remaining few being pushed high into Russia where, without any predators and with food abundant, they flourished and soon became too large to hunt. Unsurprisingly, the first colonies of giants appeared at the sites of behemoth killings. Many monsters were also hunted at this time. The Greeks and early Romans in particular almost emptied the Mediterranean of monsters. Many of these monsters wove their way into mythology- their strange, rare, powerful, and terrifying nature meant that it wasn’t hard to imagine them being the spawn of gods or the bringers of fate.
Arising in Nubia in the late Stone Age before moving into Egypt in the early Bronze Age and eventually into Classical Greece were a cult of magic users (the names they have used changed considerably over the centuries but are commonly referred to as the Cult of the Chimera). They were among the first to legitimately study magic and attempt to understand its workings. Initially, the experiments they conducted were done with the purpose of healing. However, their order soon became corrupt and their experiments turned to more twisted roots of biomancy. They became obsessed with unlocking the secrets to eternal life and in creating the perfect warrior. They created many new chimeras and hybrid creatures- most either died or live horrible, short lives. Some the monsters they created lived on however and were studied and released. Both the Egyptian and Greek Sphinx, harpies, centaurs, fauns, and various other human-hybrids have all been traced back to their cruel experiments. Despite the inhumanity of the experiments they conducted, many of aspects of their methodology became the standard for magical research and the knowledge they ascertained in their studies is often cited even today.

Jesus and the Magical Dark Age (2200 y.a. – 800 y.a.)
Born around 2200 years ago, Jesus was the first powerful magical user to attempt to use magic as a way of gathering people together in peace. As there are no records of any incident within his life that could be seen as an awakening, it is believed that he was born with his gifts naturally. He trained for a short time with the Cult of the Chimera who recognised his natural talents. He soon left them, disgusted by their practices. With the magical knowledge he possessed, he began preaching around the Sea of Galilie, recording his teachings in a journal and entrusting them to a group of disciples. Unfortunately his journal was taken after his death and was lost. However, his teaching continued, albeit in a continually twisted way.
Association with the Cult of the Chimera - which had now been fully exposed and was synonymous with evil- with the practice of magic forced early Christians to separate themselves with claims that Jesus’ acts were divine miracles and not magical in nature. This evolved into the belief that all magic must be evil resulting in the total banning of all magical practice for over 1400 years with many practisers being persecuted if not murdered. The only faucet of magic being practiced at the time was alchemy which shares only a name with the modern practices of alchemy- the experiments were crude and very little progress was made. A lack of knowledge about the distinctions of magical and physical sciences is partly to blame.

The Enlightenment and colonialism
Following in the footsteps of the cultural and scientific revolution of the Renaissance beginning 600 years ago, there was a magical revolution that swept across Europe and into the greater world as colonies were begun abroad. This was spurred in part by the discoveries of many native peoples and their systems of mysticism- they had kept the lights going while Europe remained dimmed during the dark ages. The difficulty in awakening magical abilities and the lack of unity in native peoples still meant that new discoveries on the magical front were slow. However, over the centuries of culture they had built up, many tribes and nations had unique knowledge that proved the fuel for many conversations between scholars back in Europe. Likewise, rediscoveries and renewed interest in the magic practices of the Ancient world were popular discussions. In particular the abilities of foresight were put into contention as, more than any other magical practice at the time, the ability to predict the future was seen as stepping into God’s domain. It is in part owed to investigations into ancient magical practices that inspired the Lutheran religious revolution.
Also of interest to European scholars were the monsters and new magical life found in the Orient, in Africa, and America. Many specimens were brought back for study- dead or alive. Again, magical creatures had found their way into the mythology of the local peoples.
Meanwhile, technology continued to develop. Most natural philosophers and inventors saw the natural world as being separate from the magical one. Indeed, many saw it as being divine (or demonic) in nature. However, some minds envisioned the interconnectedness of these two universal forces- Leonardo da Vinci imagined great machines of transport, commerce, and war powered by magic after witnessing a demonstration of magic; including a newly-designed spell that could trap heat and later release it in sudden bursts. This particular spell found little practical use outside of the making of luxury pistols at the time, but became indispensable as the basis for many combat spells later in history. Regardless, the study of one faucet of the Universe usually implied the study of the other, and most “scientists” of the time were well acquainted3 with both the magical and the physical.
The greatest restriction during this time was the difficulty in awakening people. Methods still hadn’t evolved beyond waiting for a lightning strike, and although many attempts were made to replicate the conditions needed after the discovery and utilization of electrical technologies, no successful attempts were completed. While there was some development of magical technologies that could create and/or replicate spells, most experiments still required practisers. Surviving a lightning strike in this era could easily result a life of fortune- ironically it would probably the luckiest thing that could happen to a person. It was little wonder that virtually every practiser held some honourable position in society or another, with many also being notable scientists or magical scholars. Isaac Newton was one such who had an intuitive grasp of the manipulation of physical forces with magic- he would often amuse himself by drawing patterns with light or observing how animals reacted to the sensation of weightlessness. This led him to important discoveries in optics and famously the discovery of gravity.

I did have more, but I'll have to split the post because it's over the maximum.
Last edited by Dr. Mackeroth on Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a signature.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Re: Literary Exploits

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:23 pm

Here's a two-chapter segment from something. I think the chapters are connected....
Spoiler:
The Veil- 2nd Draft

The memoirs of a lost flower- Chapter 1

The Enforcer shoved me onto the metal seat with a level of force that I felt was entirely inconsiderate to my poor, fragile wings. As I was still wincing, the handcuffs launched themselves apart and melted into the seat. As a containment field appeared around me, I readjusted my position and blew a strand of hair from my face in a rather vain attempt to reconstruct some semblance of comfort. I looked over the courtroom; which had three floors and looked like it contained half the population of Nova. In the centre was a raised platform with a magnificent lectern carved into the silver likeness of a… thing. I had just noticed the absence of a judge when I heard the double doors at the end of the walkway slam open on their enchanted hinges. How do you even slam an enchanted door? I presumed this was the judge, arriving late and in such a manner in an undoubted attempt to create drama. It worked, too; the audience immediately stemmed the roar of their combined whispers.
I listened to the angered footsteps as they thundered down the marble aisle, passing rows of audience members and then witnesses on his crusade to the centre. As expected, the footstep belonged to none other than the eminent Guardian Talmier; radiating wisdom and power through his unnatural golden eyes. I was, however, somewhat surprised to see that he wore the guise of a wizened old man. His wisdom briefly turned to hostility when he glanced over at me. He had a broken arm that he was nursing under his ceremonial robes, no doubt a remnant of our little scuffle last week. Normally, I would scold Talmier for putting himself in charge of proceedings when he so obviously had a personal vendetta against me. Not that it’d work, he’d throw some irrefutable justification back at me. But in this case, I was glad for his questionable judgement; it gave me the opportunity to make an ally.
I glanced back at his broken arm. This was going to be fun….
Having taken a position behind the lectern, which I had decided was meant to be an eagle, he cleared his throat and spread his good arm to address the audience. Despite his frail appearance, his voice still managed to command the audience with its thundering authority.
“Citizens of Nova, my loyal subjects, today we bear witness to the trial of Miss Khah’stakernthro” - I stifled a chuckle as he horrifically mispronounced the ridiculous alias - “who stands to answer for crimes against the peoples of this Earth and the Will of Fate. In ascending order of gravitas these crimes are: fifteen accounts of public disturbance; fourteen accounts of inappropriate use of psychonics…”
I began to do a telepathic search through the audience. I felt there was somebody missing.
“…two accounts of resisting detainment; one account of gaol break; a hundred and forty-five accounts of vandalism and property damage…”
A second scan confirmed my suspicions. There’s Mum and Dad, all upset from the loss of their “son”, but where’s little Daisy?
“…thirty-seven accounts of assault, including twenty-four against Enforcer agents; one account of kidnapping…”
Where is she? She has to be a witness, or at least in the audience. I can’t risk my plan failing.
“…one account of high treason; and one account murder.”
Wait… Murdered? Lapsus? Oh, I wish. Hm… How is it that they can count every flower petal I plucked, but get a thing like that wrong?
“Does the accused have anything to say; in the full knowledge that all events are being recorded and that a panel of telepaths are present to verify that you speak the truth?” I wondered why, considering Talmier was far more powerful than any of them.
“Where’s Daisy?”
Talmier’s face remained stoic. “Who?”
“Purrinus Belus? Sister to the deceased?”
Perhaps it was referring to someone I allegedly murdered, but his reply snapped. His face still could’ve been chiselled from marble. “It’s no concern of yours.”
I didn’t have time for this. “Where is she, Resden?”
The use of his first name startled him. He spat out a response. “Miss Belus refused teleportation. She’s coming by airship and will arrive later today.”
Oh, I remember the fear of teleporting. Still, I don’t have that long. I’ll just have to leave, and hope that Talmier is in an incompetent mood today.
“Do you have anything else to say, or can we begin with proceedings?” I detected a subtle threat in his tone.
“As a matter of fact, Resden, yes; there is. You see, you called me the unfortunate mouthful of Khah’stakernthro. My real name is Guardian Purrinus Belus.” I glanced over at the shocked parents in the front row. “Or Daisy, if you prefer”
Talmier started to say something then stopped. Then started again. Then stopped. He was undoubtedly trying to tell whether I was lying or not. He looked over at the telepaths, who professed ignorance. He returned his focus to me, and clearly announced “That’s impossible. She’s a young girl, I spoke to her this morning. And you… you’re some magical abomination!”
Harsh, coming from him.
“Right on both accounts, Resden. And while I am by no means the person I once was, I was once that person. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll must be leaving.”
I phased my hands through the cuffs, tore off the headpiece that was designed to restrict my magic (it wasn’t working) and stepped calmly through the containment field. I rendered the guards unconscious – another twelve cases of assault – and turned to Talmier, who had made no move to defend his subjects or otherwise stop me and was cowering against the window behind the lectern. Curious, I reached into his thoughts and saw that he was a decoy. Intriguing. I threw a dampening field over the pandemonium of the hastily exiting audience.
“Tell Talmier, the real Talmier, that I am not his enemy, nor is he mine. I came here with a purpose, and I intend to fulfil it.” I tuned away, then turned back and added: “Just tell him to stay out of my way.”
I teleported out of the building in a flash of thunder and spread my wings, breathing in the cold, crisp air of altitude. I considered what I had gained from allowing myself to be captured. Which - aside from the avoidance of some facial scars - wasn’t a lot. I knew that Talmier was either cautious or injured enough to use a decoy (I knew him well enough to know it wasn’t selfish motivation). More usefully, they did think that Lapsus was dead, which means I could find him and complete the mission without them knowing my intentions. That was some small advantage. Of course, this advantage had its downfall as the reason they thought him dead was that the mage that had hidden him from me had presumably hidden him from the telepathic presence of the veil as well. This would make him almost impossible to find. On top of that, I still needed to find Daisy (easily done) and convince her that my actions were justified - lest she fall into the same darkness that I did after Lapsus’ betrayal (that could be difficult).
If I could access the Veil, I could track down Lapsus’ location through the presence of any unidentified spells being cast. That would require a much more powerful mage, which meant Oth, which would mean an overnight flight (without magic, if I didn’t want to be traced), him probably giving away my position when I got there and even more convincing (if he didn’t teleport me straight back into custody). I resigned myself to the fact that any course I was going to take would be an uphill trek through thorn bushes, and set off in search of the ancient unicorn.

At this point, any sane reader would be forgiven if they were somewhat lost. This is the result of attempting to make the novel begin somewhere interesting. Maybe next time, the more critical among you will better be able to accept a necessary exposition dump. Now that you realise its necessity, I will begin this story properly – with an explaination.
The safest place to truly start would be three weeks prior - or thirteen years after – the unfortunate court case (depending on how you look at it). It was then that the crown of Nova passed into my hands. And that’s no metaphor; a dying Talmier literally took the blood-splattered crown off his head and shoved into my hands. This landed me - the least qualified of any of the World Guardians – with the responsibilities of not only the deceased Archmage, the wounded Admiral and the missing General, but of the ruler of all civilization. Or what was left of civilization, at least. And he did so without teaching me anything of any real use for my predicament. Fun.
So imagine my delight when a rift in the fabric of the Universe appeared on top of the Academy tower and my good friend - and useless co-ruler - Oth-hershack said that it could be possible to use it to travel back in time and fix everything before Lapsus’s betrayal and the war that doomed us all to oblivion, et cetera. We devised a simple plan: he’d use his magic to send me back in time and kill Lapsus before the bastard could turn on us. Preferably before Daisy adopted him, so as not to emotionally scar my younger self. Oth cited my current state of mind as a prime example of what we most certainly did not want happening to someone who was – and I quote – “such a sweet innocent girl”.
It was such a fail-safe plan that it could only inevitably fail. Naturally, the time-spell didn’t work and I was sent back three years after Daisy had found him. The mission was still salvageable at that point though, all I had to do was separate the two and then make it look Lapsus had an accident. Daisy would be devastated, but not vengeful. Of course, that didn’t work either as my attempt to kidnap Lapsus resulted in both Daisy seeing me and Lapsus unleashing his full power directly at my face. Once I had finally managed to get him under control – a process that had set a fair portion of Lum ablaze – he had to go and get whisked away by some masked magician who was powerful enough to keep him subdued and skilled enough to not leave a psychic trail for me to follow.
I spent the next week being chased around the countryside by Enforcers and mages alike. I certainly didn’t make it easy for them (Lapsus’ saviour wasn’t the only one who could hide herself from the Veil), but they caught up to me several times. Eventually they got desperate that Guardian Talmier got involved and I reasoned that maybe if I let myself get captured and dragged off to court I got get a word in to Daisy and convince her not to turn into me on account of Lapsus’ impending death. Talmier, in his infinite wisdom, didn’t want to listen to reason and opted for the far more honourable practice of bombarding me with explosive spells. So, I put up enough of a fight that he’d be convinced he’d actually won. And I got to throw him into that ungoodly Tavern I got food poising from when I was seven, so it was a win-win scenario. I spent the following eight days after my capture - up to the trial - in a gaol that was so lacking in security that it wounded my pride.
There; that should suffice. Hopefully next time you won’t be so quick to judge the necessity of a brief story.

Under the veil- Chapter 2

This was the story that was told to me by Archmage Daria after I completed my memoirs. I personally found it quite enlightening and entertaining - it seems her little jaunt through the fourth dimension was almost as despondent as mine. The following takes place around twenty years after Daisy found Lapsus, in a future that will – probably for the worse – never come to pass. I really have done my best not to embellish the story, but what happened to the Ticrons is a mystery to anyone.
In this alternate future, The Lord and Lady Ticron were just arriving in Nova; determined to send their son to the Academy (That’s the World Shapers Imperial Academy to you regionals) before he burnt down their decidedly expensive estate. This was despite the boy’s protests that doing so would lose all his friends in his country school. There was little doubt that he would be accepted, the Ticrons rose to their positions in a large part for their magical abilities. Lord Ticron considered himself to be second only to Archmage Daria in his abilities. But it was often said that he had a “healthy” ego.
The two nobles dragged their son through the central plaza and through the silvery gates to the academy . They approached the official standing outside the smooth two-story glass and metal façade of the building. Lord Ticron coughed politely and bobbed on the balls of his feet - it was an unfortunate habit that many said was “condescending”- when the official didn’t immediately look up.
“Can I help you sir?” Lord Ticron noticed the official wore the uniform of a junior magician. The colour irritated him...
“Why yes you may . My son here, Paris Ticron, has his entrance exam today for the Gifted and Talented Young Magician Programme.”
The official rifled through her note book. “Ticron… hmm… mhmm… Oh! Sorry your lordship, I didn’t realize. The examinations are being held down near the main hall. Head inside and the officials upstairs will get your paperwork.”
They proceeded inside, following the map the official had given them, which Lord Ticron was surprised to find he needed given the two years he spent training here. He could sympathise with his son, the academy wasn’t the place for everyone, certainly not the free spirit of the House of Ticron . However, he certainly hadn’t told his son he himself had dropped out. As much as he would like for his son not to have to go, his lack of discipline and his repeated misuse of his powers left him little choice. He knew it would be for the best, and his wife agreed.
They ascended the massive tower to the courtyard on top. As promised, they were greeted by another official at the entrance to the hall. She directed the family to an empty spot in the row of seats lining the wall, which they quickly occupied.
To the casual observer, the three of them were almost comical . Lord and Lady Ticron were both bolt-upright with all the rigour and presence their role demanded of them, while in between squirmed their son, who kept nervously glancing at the clock and the other candidates around the room. To the more astute onlooker, however, it was possible to discern that both parents were showing signs of… what was it? Nervousness? They were confident of their son’s success, but that wasn’t the only difficulty they faced. What if Paris downright absolutely refused to attend? They had already given him a scolding for threatening to say ‘no’, but the possibility still remained. What if he shunned his parents for their decision? What if he actually did end up hating it, dropped out, and never learnt to control his powers? These worries swirled in the Lady’s mind, manifested themselves into two words.
“Stop squirming.” She was rather insistent.
Seeing the expression his son’s face, pulled in response Lord Tichron turned to his son wearing a stern expression. “You know that we expect you to try your hardest. We know you don’t really want to attend this academy, but your antics at home have shown us that it is necessary for both your behaviour and to learn to control your magic.”
Paris looked positively offended. “It was one small tapestry! You’ve made such a fuss over it. It’s not like I did any else wrong?”
His father had to stifle the urge to roll his eyes. “Yes… One small tapestry. Along with the cat, and the cook, your bedroom, and” he paused for dramatic effect, tapping his cheek “there was also that incident where you tried to fly. You very nearly killed yourself! What would’ve your mother and I done then?”
“I was flying just fine until you distracted me!”
The Lady interrupted: “We know full-well that you can pass the entrance exam. There is absolutely no reason not to.” Her son continued to fume. She realized her foolishness and changed her approach . She took a deep breath, and said in a softer tone: “Don’t be so worried. You’ll make good friends here, with people who are as gifted as you are. You’d like some friends who could use magic as well, wouldn’t you?” She smiled ; that got him looking a tad more positive.
A few minutes of silence elapsed, then Paris’ name was called.
“Good luck Parry.” His mother offered him another smile and a pat on the back as he walked into the examination room. Paris reluctantly entered as the official closed the door behind him. He sensed a powerful magic barrier pass along the surface of the perfectly cylindrical room . Behind a desk on the other side sat three wizened mages. Paris guessed the centre one was Archmage Daria, given her heavily adorned uniform. She spoke to him with an air of authority. “Name; Paris Ticron. Age; 13. Correct?” A flash of recognition- and perhaps amusement- passed over her face.
Paris nodded his response.
“Very good. Well, on the table before you is a stone. The task is designed to test your magical capability and it is a quite simple: all you have to do is levitate the stone. Easy enough, correct?” There was a motherly tone in the woman’s voice that prevented it from being condescending to Paris.
Was it really that simple? Paris reached out with telepathically and used magic to alter the gravity above the stone. It briefly hovered then crashed back onto the surface of the table. Of course it wasn’t that simple. He tried again, pushing harder but this time the stone refused to move at all. He panted and readied himself to try again. This time, he reached out a bit further and found that the mage to the left of Daria was using magic, presumably to lower the stone against his will.
In what was not his smartest moment, he tried to place a psychic block on the mage. It work for a brief second and Paris was just about to levitate the stone but then the surprised mage retaliated instinctively. The weak psychic block shattered like glass and the sudden change in magic caused something to snap inside Paris’ mind.
The air quickly filled with static and the floor started to tremble. Sparks jumped into life around Paris and his eyes flared a brilliant white. His mind formed into psychic whips, lashing out at everything. The two mages struggled to defend themselves against the onslaught. One of them collapsed and Daria quickly teleported them out the room to safety, throwing mental instructions to evacuate the hall to the conscious one. She turned her attention back to the boy who was now levitating several inches above the floor, with sparks of ever increasing intensity leaping form his fingers. Daria knew she had to contain the magic, otherwise someone might get hurt. She poured more magic into the barrier around the rooming, hoping that the boy’s flare would subside before any permanent damage was done.
However, instead of containing his magic, the constriction of the barrier caused Paris’ mind to instinctively attack it. He slashed a hole straight through the shield and continued groping for magic to sustain the building flare. He found another candidate in the waiting room, and consumed her magic like a parasite. Then he found another, and another. Daria tried to wrestle his psychic ropes under control, but all it did was cause him to turn his gaze towards her.
She surrounded herself in a telekinetic shield as he threw her through the wall and down onto the gardens outside. She lay dazed on the ground as he passed through the hole himself and levitated mid-air, lightning crackling out and gouging great scars in the buildings. In nearly a hundred years of teaching, she’d never seen a flare this powerful before. One bolt hit a window and it exploded. Daria felt even more power being devoured by the needs of his primal magic. She was confused for a second but then realised what he had begun to do: draw power directly from the Veil.
Daria watched as the power manifested itself into a whirlwind of telekinetic energy that started tearing bits of the building and uproot the plants around her. She had no choice, people were going to die if she didn’t do something. The only thing to do was to disrupt the flow of energy going into him, then the flare would burn itself out. She knew that in a flare, especially one as powerful as this, the tiniest nudge in his mind could throw his magic out of balance.
The archmage reached out once again with her mind, throwing herself at the burning light of the boy set in the furious storm surrounding it. The psychic defences were primordial and the skilled mage quickly slipped through them , succeeding with skill what brute force had failed to achieve moments ago. Holding on to the light of his mind, she quickly poured a jolt of her magic into it. The unexpected drop caused cracks to run along the surface of the light. Daria quickly withdrew into the real world as the boy’s mind completely shattered. The earth shook as the flare began to burn itself out, the magic collapsing and consuming the boy in a fluorescent green fire. He screamed as it consumed him , causing him to writhe in mid-air. The fire began to swirl around him then rapidly exploded in what was the flare’s spectacular final breathe. As the fires dissipated, they stopped and reversed their motion, crashing back in on the boy like a tsunami. They converged on him with a clap of thunder and a searing flash of light.
Daria’s eyes slowly came back into focus. She lifted herself off the ground with a surge of dizziness; surveying the damage. The magic supports that held the hall in place had failed, and the entire building had crashed into the garden below it, reducing both to little more than rubble and kindling, save one lone oak at the edge of the tower. The metal surface under the garden had scorch marks on it, but suffered little harm. There was one thing absent from all the wreckage however: Paris. The boy had vanished without a trace.
In the hours following the incident the academy was consumed by a swarm of rushing people. Within the first few minutes, Enforcers had arrived and had begun cordoning off the area and rushing off the injured off to the hospital. The students who had their magic torn from them were expected to recover, although it was unlikely their magic would ever be as powerful again. Within half an hour, detectives arrived and began cataloguing evidence. Soon after them followed all manner of journalists and archivists, pushing and probing the enforcers and mages for every little detail of the incident.
During this time, the Ticrons had largely been left to their own devices. After they had been evacuated, they were escorted downstairs to a windowless classroom where they waited with the other parents and students in a nervous silence under the care of a few mages. They continued to wait while the injured were taken away. They continued to wait while names and details were taken. They continued to wait while the enforcers escorted the rest out. They continued to wait as they were the last people in the room. And every moment they waited, their worry grew. They still hadn’t had any news about what’d happened to Paris. The enforcers didn’t know, nor did the mages. The thoughts and questions rolled through their minds: What’d happened? Why hadn’t they been told? Didn’t anyone know? While they desperately tried to cling to hope, they could only fear the worse.
It was approaching evening when an enforcer wearing a decorated white uniform appeared at the door. He tucked his hat under his arm as he approached the ashen parents. In an emotionless voice, he told them to follow him to the Archmage’s office. He said that the Archmage was assisting enforcers at the scene and that she said she would be down within the next hour. The Ticrons hesitantly followed him through the maze of corridors and stairs to they came to a set of golden doors that Lord Ticron had regrettably seen more than once in his youth. When he imagined having to come and see the Archmage about his son, he hadn’t imagined it’d be quite like this. He gave a mirthless chuckle at his own black humour before his mind slumped back into its motions of anxiety and grief. The enforcer left them with the promise that if they needed anything, just to ask one of the enforcers. He hadn’t specified how.
And so the two Ticrons sat alone, taking what comfort they could from each other against the cold metal walls and the uncertainty of their future.
It was at roughly that time, high above them, that the Archmage Daria had taken up a new hobby: scowling. She reassembled a seat that had been thrown into a fountain, much to the disapproval of a nearby Enforcer, and sat down to consider the difficulties she now faced. Firstly, the damage to the Academy was not insignificant. The hall would have to be rebuilt from scratch and the garden, which contained trees as old as the archmage herself, was in her mind irreplaceable. Secondly, the incident would undoubtedly become the point of an investigation from the Enforcement Agency and had resulted in the Academy being swarmed by journalists from all over Novus.
What played most heavily on her conscience, however, were the events of the incident itself. She knew she’d done the right thing, but that was a cold comfort considering she had knowingly murdered a child. No, worse than that, she thought, I’ve damned him to oblivion. And somehow, I have to tell his parents.
Directly after the incident, she had probed the area with her magic, searching for any sign of him. Even her most powerful tracing spells had failed to reconstruct his image. This had troubled her deeply. Her spells could follow the paths of every single piece of soot and rubble back to its origin, reconstructing the positions of trees, walls, and windows; but there was not a single speck of dust left over from the boy. She had to conclude then that he teleported away. She refused to consider the alternative.
If it wasn’t for the destruction he’d caused, she’d be thoroughly in awe of his power. The carbon-crystal substructure and exotic alloy coverings of Nova were nigh indestructible; by both physical or chemical means. Aside from the embed enchantments that allowed for the easy creation of furniture or doors in some places, her spells could hardly scratch it. Of course, he had caused the destruction which was a major inconvenience. She knew the chemical make-up of the metal by heart, but there was not a single foundry in Novus capable of producing it. The reconstruction of the hall would be, at best, a like a child’s playhouse compared the original.
Added to this, was her little discovery in the garden. Her probing, it seemed, had discovered a tear in the veil. She assumed it was a tear, given the exotic magic that flowed out of it accompanied by a stream of endless babble of languages beyond human comprehension. She faced things like this every other Tuesday, so it should be a simple matter to clean it up before it unleashes some hellish creature or destroys the Universe or some such. No need to worry. Not at all. After all, it’s only millions of credits in damage; a missing, possibly –I hope not – dead child (with possible uncontrollable god-like powers), two distraught parents, and let’s not forget an unknown magic phenomenon with the potential for Fate-knows-what amount of damage sitting on top of the tulip bed. As much as she relished in her position as Archmage, there were days where being in charge left you with little more than a headache. Hence the rapid increase of scowling.
I suppose I should put them out of their misery. She continued to wear her scowl as she stood up, moved passed the Enforcers to the descension beam, took it to the 123rd floor, and then took the right-left-door-hall-left to her office where the two Ticrons waited comforting each other, their usually impeccable masks of indifference having recentl dissolved into a mess of smuggled make-up and sobs. As she approached they looked up. Did I say “easiest problem”? She sighed. Maybe I should take my chances with the hell-creatures. She stopped herself. Had her long life-span really made her that cavalier that the greatest emotion she could muster at the death of a student was sarcasm? Her scowl lifted, uncovering an emptiness inside of her. Perhaps…. Some empathy is needed here.
She led them into the Spartan office and sat down in her sleek metal chair while two similar ones grew from the floor to accommodate the visitors. She didn’t like her office. It felt stiff, cold and unfriendly. It also had a habit of blinding early morning visitors as the window behind her desk always let in the rays of the rising sun. I still haven’t found the controls that orientate the tower… She realised her drifting and pulled her thoughts back into the present. She began preparing a speech but when she opened her mouth out rolled the words: “I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.” Those words confirmed the deepest fears of the Ticrons.
“We understand. You did what was necessary.” The Lady tried a wan smile while fighting to keep back tears.
The emptiness began to morph into guilt. “I should’ve been able to stop it. But I failed. And now… now you’re son is… is… and it’s my fault.”
Lord Ticron quelled his trembling lip and mustered a response. “Do you know how many lives you saved today? 37, including my wife’s and my own. Very few people could’ve done what you did.”
“But… your son?”
“Is gone. Yes. Yes he is. Our little Parry is gone. But you did what you had to do.”
“I did.”
“There was no other choice.”
“There wasn’t.”
Lord Ticron just nodded sombrely.
Daria swallowed in an attempt to pull herself together. “I can only begin to image how you might be feeling.”
The Lady gave a chuckle “Thank you. For everything.” She rose to leave, followed by her husband.
Daria, puzzled, gave a hasty seated bow as they exited, the chairs dissolving back into the floor. She blinked several times, considering their sudden departure, then leant back on her chair and sighed a deep sigh. In her decades of teaching, she’d had to notify parent’s exactly once of their child’s death. That had played heavily on her conscience for years after. This was far worse given the strange circumstances and her direct involvement. The guilt still gnawed inside of her. Soon she would have to deal with the Enforcers and detectives and reporters and chroniclers. But all that could wait. She needed a moment with her thoughts. She closed her eyes and relaxed a bit.
She had gone all of ten seconds when a message interrupted her. She cracked one eye open and read the words floating in front of her. Detection of unusually high stress levels in descension chamber 1. She dismissed another scowl that was floating across her face.
“Display.”
The screen shifted to the camera in the descension chamber. Through its fish-eye lens, she saw Lord and Lady Ticron. Crying uncontrollably. Her heart skipped a beat. The scowl came back with a vengeance. She’d thought they taken the news so well. They seemed so resolute. How? Why? Then she realised: because of me. They didn’t want me to feel guilty. They had lost their son and when his killer had failed to comfort them, they’d taken it upon themselves to set aside their pain and make sure she didn’t blame herself. Daria slumped back, slack-jawed. She promptly closed her mouth and made a promise to herself: if there is any chance Paris survived, I will pursue it to the ends of the Earth and beyond to bring him back to his family.
She had no idea how to go about this, but luckily, she knew just the demigod that could help her

I was facing a very different problem, although perhaps one equally as dangerous: boredom. As any child could tell you, finding ways to pass the long days of summer is at times a burden and at others a gift. On this particular day, however there was little hope for it being a pleasant experience as I prepared myself for the fifth day of staying at the house of my irritable great-grandmother. And so it was, that at exactly ten minutes past ten, I found myself sitting at the dining table, admiring the single cookie I had placed before me.
With great ceremony I picked it up, feeling the granulated texture of its crumbling surface and the contrasting smoothness of the chocolate chips inlaid into it. I took a delicate bite, savouring the sweetness of the sugar and the bitter tang of the raising agents within it. I sighed. It was unavoidable; this cookie was the prelude to another day of complete boredom; a long day of exasperated sighs of which this was merely one of many. A day of poking sticks in the dirt and waiting for the rain to come. It was the result of being stuck inside my great-grandmother’s cottage with absolutely nothing to do . My parents were away on business at another wonderfully convenient time. All my friends were either away or busy, leaving me completely stranded. Alas, the boredom I faced was deeper than just my Grandma, or even the holidays. There was just nothing exciting to do in Lum. I already devoured the town library, pitiful as it was. And when was the last time I actually played with my friends? Come to think of it, they were always busy. Maybe they just didn’t like me. The thought was dreadful. Unthinkable, in point of fact. What has my life come to, I thought, to be abandoned by my friends and left for dead like this?
I needed to escape this hellish prison of stuffy furniture and cups of tea. More importantly, I need to escape Grandma. You see, I didn’t like Grandma, and Grandma didn’t like me. This one simple fact had led to an entire week of misery. Clearly, it was a cruel joke by my parents, a punishment for some perceived crime (I was still too young to realise that perhaps I wasn’t the real victim of the joke) . I tried to keep my spirits up; this was the last day of it after all. I almost managed to convince myself that I could survive the day, but then a screech of “Daisy!!!” from the living room ruined it.
I internally winced. “Yes Granny?”
“Where did you put my glasses?”
I threw them into a volcano. “There’s on the kitchen bench. Do you want me to bring them to you?”
“No, I want you to feed them to the dog. Of course I want them you silly child!”
I sighed and brought the glasses into her. She snatched them off me and immediately buried herself in her book. A thought occurred to me: my friends may all be busy today, but Grandma didn’t know that. It’s not like Grandma wouldn’t be happy to get rid of me for the day…
Perhaps this was my only chance.
“Well, are you going to say something, or are you just going to stand there?” The old woman peered from over the top of her book that I swear for a moment had the title of “How to Cook Children”.
I quickly plastered a small smile onto my face, “Can I go over to Jacq’s house today? She said I could go yesterday and it’s completely okay with her parents.”
She rolled her eyes, looking back at her book, “Yes, yes, of course, fine! Just remember to take a coat and be back before four . There’s a storm scheduled for then and I don’t want you caught in the middle of it.”
Take a coat? It’s the middle of summer! Regardless…“Yes Granny.” My plan had worked.
I left Grandma to reading what I was convinced was a dark magic grimoire and ran upstairs to grab my coat . I weighed the risk of taking Grandma’s precious cookies despite the risk of incurring her wrath, and came to the conclusion that it was probably worth it. I strode gallantly through the front door. Another victory for Daisy! It was all too easy. I stopped as I reached the front gate. I hesitated: It was too easy, wasn’t it? Maybe Grandma was planning to follow me and to report my suspicious movements back to my parents for punitive measures. Maybe she’d discover the fictional nature of Jacq, and then I’d be in for it. I shook my head and tried to eliminate the idle worries. No. Even if Grandma suspected me of some malignancy, she was far too lazy to get off her chair and do something about it. Even so, I cast a cautious glance back to the house once or twice, just in case.
I wandered down Main Street and considered my options. I badly wanted to practice my magic, having not been able to do so all week (being confined to the house all week had limited what spells I could safely practice). There was a wonderful clearing the forest that I often used to that purpose. No one ever went there, so it was unlikely she’d be discovered. She could actually visit a friend. Timona was in the middle of learning a fell spells I could probably help with. Erik was always interesting to talk to. But then I remembered that they all had lives to get on with, and they had left me suffer with my Grandma all week. Then again, I’m sure they’d much rather spend their day with me than doing chores... Timona’s parents were always kind to me, I was sure I could convince them that Timona would be better off spending the day with me than doing work.
I turned back and headed down the street to her house. The plump woman answered on the third knock of the door. “Oh! Daisy! What are you doing here? Are you looking for Timona?”
“Hello Mrs Winkerfell. Yes, I was. I was hoping I could practice some magic with her today?”
“Daisy, sweetie. She’s busy today. She hasn’t cleaned her room all holidays and needs to catch up with her homework.”
Asking polity isn’t seeming to work. Maybe a more direct attack? I leant in close to Mrs Winkerfell. “I’m staying with my Great-Grandma for the week.” She looked shocked, then quickly tried to cover it up. She had my Grandma before; once.
“I see. Did she finally let you out today?”
I nodded.
“Well, I’ll go get Timmy for you”. She left the door then reappeared a few moments later with her daughter.
“Hi, Daisy!”
“Hey, Tim.” She winced and I stifled a giggle. She hated being called that, but I couldn’t help myself. Mrs Winkerfell smiled. “Well, you two girls run along now. Timmy still has a lot of work to do, Daisy. So no more than a few hours, okay? There’s a storm coming this afternoon apparently.”
“Yes Mrs Winkerfell.”
“Yes mum”.
We ran off down the garden path. I was quite glad I’d made the brief detour. Like the great Karlo once said: “It’s not the journey but the company that makes the trip worthwhile.”

Here's the 2nd chapter (it was labeled as the second chapter even though there was clearly a second chapter above. I guess this was an alternate...?)
Spoiler:
The clouds bubbled and boiled through the atmosphere, threatening to spew over the tight boundary imposed on them. Judging by their progress, I guessed we had a little over half an hour left. Perhaps it’s time to head home, she thought. A clap of thunder in the too-near distance confirmed my suspicions; I probably should leave. Begrudgingly, I lowered the rock I was struggling to levitate. I waddled over to Timona who was snacking on the last of the cookies under a nearby tree.
I was halfway home, crossing a little stream, when I head a whimper from the nearby bushes. Actually, I didn’t hear it, I felt it. That meant a psychic, which meant a magician, which meant a person. Or maybe it was a trap. Were there monsters lurking in the forest? I doubted it, it was too small. I decided it was too suspicious to investigate it, but a second whimper aided my curiosity in getting the better of me. I twisted my lip, trying to talk herself myself of pursuing it further. But really, I already made up her mind. I turned and hopped away, moving in its general direction.
The source of the noise was a surprising distance, and a fair way off the path. Daisy pushed her way through a thick piece of scrub and found herself facing a crater a good three body lengths in diameter containing what looked like a building. Well, maybe a building if a giant had dropped it from Novus. Actually, it might very well have come from Novus, given the white metal it was made from. How peculiar, thought Daisy, how did a part of Novus end up in the middle of a forest? Daisy realised that the answer may lie with the boy that she realised was lying in the centre of the rubble.
As she clambered over the rubble, she realized that “boy” might have been too generous of an approximation. “Most of a boy” would’ve been better suited. He was covered in scars and was missing several fingers. His left arm as attached by merely a scrap of skin. He’d been badly burnt and his most of his hair was missing. Daisy noticed that his eyes were as white as eggshells: presumably he was blind as well. Daisy would’ve at once taken him for dead where he not shaking violently. Daisy approached him as she assumed one would an injured animal, being cautions and talking nonsense in soothing tones. She tenderly reached out a hand to touch him. A jolt of pain ran through her and she was thrown backwards, cutting her arm on a piece of jutting metal before colliding with what was once a wall and bashing her head.
The boy sat bolt upright with a cough that spat blood then fell back down. Daisy sat, dazed from the fall, and watched as what should’ve been a corpse became animated in a way best left to nightmares. Not that Daisy was frightened. A little disgusted, perhaps. But that was overridden by the awe of the magical feat he was performing. What looked like electricity crackled through his body, pulling it back together. His arm reattached itself, the burns healed, and bones moved back into place with sickening crunches. His hair regrew at an alarming rate and one of his fingers regrew, partially. As he finished healing, the electricity died down. He took a few shaky breaths and then blinked, once.
As he sat up and tried to take in his surroundings through his eyes which hadn’t appeared to have healed themselves, Daisy pondered how to approach the situation. She decided to just go ahead and introduce herself. Not her most cunning plan, to be sure, but she was still dizzy and in shock. She did her best to make her voice reassuring and calm, considering herself lucky that he couldn’t see her. “Hello, my name is Perennis Bellis, but you can call me Daisy.”
“Day-zee…?” His voice was hoarse and had an unusual accent.
“Yes, Daisy. What’s your name?”
“Naamee?”
“Yes, your name.”
He furrowed his eyebrows but didn’t respond.
“You do have one, don’t you?”
He shook his head hesitantly, then buried it in his hands.
“Well, I’ll just have to make one up for you then.” Daisy rifled through her brain, trying to think of something appropriate. Sky-child? No, that was silly. Mallic? Theros? Havard? No. Then she remembered the title to an ancient book that she’d been lucky enough to see. Lapsus ????. Lapsus: fallen, helpless. Daisy looked at the sobbing boy in front of her, sitting in amongst rubble from a flying city. The name certainly seemed to fit…
“How about Lapsus. Do you like that?”
He stopped sobbing and looked up. “Lap?”
“No, Lapsus”
“Lap.” He seemed insistent. Considering that he just rebuilt himself from a corpse, Daisy decided that she probably didn’t want to annoy him too much.
“Okay, Lap it is. Can you walk?”
Lap made no sign that he had heard her, but attempted to stand regardless. He stumbled, and Daisy went to grab him. He corrected himself, but Daisy cried out in pain from the lash on her arm. Lap turned his head. “Huurt?”
Daisy nodded, then remembered he couldn’t see her and cringed at her lapse of judgement. “Yes, I cut my arm.”
He gestured for her to give it to him. She cautiously stretched out her arm and started as one of his remaining fingers leapt with sparks. He placed it over the gash, and Daisy watched in astonishment as it healed over, leaving a thin white scar. He took his hand away. “Bet-ter?” He gave a shaky smile.
“Yes, thank you.” Daisy heaved herself to her feat. The healing was impressive enough, but she would’ve been more impressed if he’d fixed her pounding headache as well. She looked up at the clouds, which were now ten minutes away. “We need to hurry, there’s a storm coming.” He seemed to get the message.
As Daisy led Lap back through the forest, not taking note of the way he suspiciously avoided obstacles, she formulated a plan to dupe her grandmother. She weighed all the possibilities. It was inevitable that they would get caught in the rain, which would worry Granny. However, bringing home a stranger covered in scars would worry her more. She reasoned that her best course of action was to go to the library and find a spell that would help. She remembered seeing a spell for altering one’s appearance in a book entitled… what was it? Something about the history of magic in espionage. If she could use it, then she could pass Lap off as being Luq, and ask Granny is “she” can stay the night. Granny mightn’t be too thrilled, but she doubted she’d say no. She could figure out what to say about Lap to her parents when they got home tomorrow. Good thinking, Daisy, she assured herself.
The arrived at the entrance to the Maplewreath Library just as the rain hit. Daisy slammed the door behind her, already drenched in the few seconds she’d been outside. “I do hope you realise what you’re putting me through here” she said sarcastically to Lap. He looked guilty enough that Daisy added, “its sarcasm. I don’t really mean it. Honest.” She sighed, feeling a bit guilty herself and went to find the book.
Magic in espionage: a history and practical spell book. Excellent. Daisy thumbed through the pages, looking for the appearance altering spell. Huh. Well, unless Lap has a degree in microbiological transmogrification- it wasn’t altogether implausible given what he did earlier –this spell isn’t going to be of any use. On the other hand- Daisy flipped back a few pages – This could be useful. The spell was entitled “The Forgotten Face”. Perfect. If she couldn’t change Lap’s appearance, she’d just make Granny forget it entirely.
The spell was simple enough: a psychic ward that blocked the formation of long-term memory. Not altogether different form a spell she used to help her remember study notes better. She made it stick on the fourth attempt.
As Daisy expected, Granny was none too happy when she brought Lap into the house.
“Where exactly have you been? You’re nearly half an hour late. Any longer and I would had to have called your parents!” Daisy automatically zoned out and replied with a series of mumbles and guilty looks. Her rant was ending… “And who exactly was that you brought into the house without permission?”
“No one, Granny.”
Her grandma look perplexed. “I… I could’ve sworn I saw you send someone up the stairs when you came in.”
“You must’ve been seeing things, Granny.”
“I… well… I’ll be telling your parents about this tomorrow.” Daisy almost giggled at how much her confusion undermined her authority. She managed to stifle it enough to finish with a guilty: “Yes Granny, I’ll go to my room now.”
She almost felt sorry for easily she tricked her grandma. But there were more important matters at hand: she had to figure out how to face her parents, and figure out: just how by the Fate Lap ended up here?
Last edited by Dr. Mackeroth on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a signature.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:20 pm

I read the first one. I can't tell if they were trying to kill her or if she just committed suicide. But I really like the style and depth. I'll read the others when I have time.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:53 pm

Professor Fenway wrote:I read the first one. I can't tell if they were trying to kill her or if she just committed suicide. But I really like the style and depth. I'll read the others when I have time.
Huh? She doesn't die. Oh dear.... Do I make it sound like she dies? I need to fix that...
Thanks though!
This is a signature.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:57 pm

Wait, she doesn't die?
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:28 am

Hey use soft colors and bigger gaps between paragraphs, I know its not how real texts are written but it makes the text much more readable in my opinion, especially the color because otherwise teh white begins to hurt for long texts. You didn't add a tab at the beginning of each paragraph anyway so why pretend we're an official print ? ;)

Yup she dead by my account, though its true you can survive for a short time outsie without a suit, a really short time, otherwise she one crazy motherf***er !
Last edited by Iv121 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:29 am

He didn't add a tab because the forum doesn't support tabs natively.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:36 am

Well we would see at please one space in size gap, either way thats not the point.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:37 am

Then what is the point?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:41 am

Iv121 wrote:Hey use soft colors and bigger gaps between paragraphs, I know its not how real texts are written but it makes the text much more readable in my opinion, especially the color because otherwise teh white begins to hurt for long texts.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:43 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
Spoiler:
As a young girl, Daisy had often looked up at the skies of a night-time and gazed upon the stars that danced their celestial paths across the sky. This, she understood, was not an uncommon practice amongst children like her. She had often read about famous astronauts who had begun like her with their heads tilted skyward towards the vast expanse of the cosmos. Her father had even admitted to it being one of his greatest inspirations. However, unlike her friends, Daisy’s unique experiences had forced her to adopt a far less idealistic view of what lay beyond Earth. She didn’t see space as some new ocean to be crossed or the final frontier in human exploration, but rather an infinite expanse of cold, dark isolation. A place where one misplaced calculation or a tiny crack in the thin shell between you and the void would warrant in your untimely, inevitably gruesome demise.

She had come to this pragmatic realisation while still at a young age, and the echoes of the grim reality she faced continued to be a driving force throughout her life. A force which had helped her survive through many experiences that she had no real right to walk away from. A force which was telling the much older Daisy that now clung desperately to a wrung on the hull of the Aurora to tremble violently and perspire to the point where she was beginning to regret not donning one the air-conditioned suits that Captain Grant had so generously offered to her several minutes prior. It certainly wasn’t out of some buried notion of astraphobia- it was a completely healthy, realistic view. Although, perhaps, her grip was a bit too tight for the soft metal to handle.

She blamed Ovak for this. How she could have ever been so stupid as to let a robot talk her into experience something for “the incredible beauty of it” was completely beyond her current comprehension. There she was at breakfast with the rest of the crew haply enjoying a bowl of real cornflakes when he had sat down in front of her with that perfectly simulated knowing smile of his. In retrospect, she probably would have referred to it as ‘grinning like an idiot’. But then he said that he had the most wonderful idea ever that she positively must try - in those words no less – after her mumbled response she found herself half carried, half shoved out the airlock. She took note that if any of them ever wanted to stage a mutiny, there really wasn’t much she could do.

The damn tin can probably knew how much she hated space. No, he definitely knew. Daisy took another hesitant glance upward, which only caused her to reel and grip the railing tighter. Right now she wanted nothing more than to repurpose Ovak as a toaster.

Then again, he rarely did things without a good reason. No, he never did things without a good reason. What was he trying to accomplish? Is he trying to make me face my fears … shortcomings? Unlikely; it’s not like space travel is something any of them were likely to be doing again anytime soon. Is he trying to make me look like a bad leader? She was pretty sure that would contradict his base programming. Still, it’s was pointless to speculate now. She really needed to face her shortcomings and let go of the railing, or face abject humiliation at the hands of her so-called friends for the rest of their trip.

Then again, maybe if could roll over she could see. She got halfway through the roll before she decided against it and turned back to glistening ceramic in front of her. There was no way she was going out there. She would just lie about letting go. They’d never know the difference and she wouldn’t be ridiculed.

She began to climb back up the ladder but was interrupted by static in her earpiece, followed by Ovak’s voice; “Daisy, we can all see you. We’re not letting you in until you let go of the ship.”
Daisy banged her head against the nearest wrung several times. That was a stupid idea. Of course it was. She should’ve known they’d be watching. There was no getting around it, she was going to have to let go.

She remembered what her father had used to tell her about facing your fears. That our deepest fear is not that we’re inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It gave her some solace as a child, until she learned that it wasn’t his quote at all but that it belonged to some 20th Century lecturer. Thanks Dad, for lying to me. The advice still held though. She could let go, and face the void. It’s not like she really had a choice.

I can do this, she thought, I can do this. I am going to this. Right…. “Now!” she concluded with a shout. She screw her eyes shut and threw herself away from the railing and into the void. She made it all of fifty meters out before she had to fire her manoeuvring thrusters and slow her pace to a crawl. Entirely out of practical concern. Perhaps with a mite of fear.

She tried to calm herself. Ten breaths. Ten slow breaths. That’s what her father had taught her to do when she was sad, when she was angry, or when she afraid. The action helped when she was feeling any one of those, but experience had told her that is was futile to quell all three at once.

Now calmer, she opened her eyes. The sun shone brightly down onto the top of the Aurora, painting the tiles in a brilliant glow. Starting from somewhere underneath the ship and stretching above her line of sight was the Milky Way. It was a dominating expanse of stars and dust that floated amongst the ether, beckoning her into the wonder of the universe. Maybe she was wrong and Ovak didn’t have a reason, and he simply did wish her to experience the beauty of space.

She stared into the expanse for nearly a whole minute before being interrupted by Ovak. “You see, it was worth it, wasn’t it?” He paused for a few seconds, seeming talking to someone in the background, “Spike’s had an idea. Hold still, we’re sending something out to you.” Daisy was happy to oblige.

It was only a brief moment before her earpiece flared into life again, this time with the coarser voice of Spike; “We sent ya a little present. We think you’ll know what ta do with it.”
Daisy give a little bit of thrust and glided back to the air lock. Floating there was a bottle of champagne. Krug, Vintage 2051. She regarded it with a strange burning in her heart. Not taking her eyes away from the bottle, she took off her helmet. She doubted she really needed it. Her ears popped, and her tongue tingled as all the moisture instantly evaporated. The sensation of the air being sucked from her lungs was unpleasant, but not painful. It was peaceful. She could feel the warmth of the sun on her head, and the quiet enfolded her like a blanket.

Carefully placing her helmet beside her, Daisy grabbed the bottle and popped the cork. She put her thumb over the seal to stop of from instantly vaporising, and raised it. “Here’s to you, Dad, you crazy bastard. Perhaps you were on to something after all.” He would’ve given anything to experience space as she could and be to here with her now. She took a swig of the bottle. She only managed to get a few drops, but it was enough. It wasn’t really meant for her anyway.
Spoiler:
The Daedalus Affliction

Daisy sat in the waiting room, doing her best to look innocuous. It wasn’t working well; the other patients were all cowering in the opposite corner. She didn’t usually care about her intimidating appearance or the effect it had on others, but it certainly didn’t help her confidence.

The bell rang as another patient walked out of Dr Yonto’s office. Daisy shifted uncomfortably on her seat, apprehensive. She bit her tongue for a second then blurted out, “This is a bad idea.”

The plasticine figure of Ovak turned to face her. There was definitely something off about the face he was wearing today, but Daisy couldn’t quite put her finger on it. He raised an eyebrow. “We agreed this was the best course of action.”

“I think you mean that you did the agreeing for me.” There was a hint of bitterness in Daisy’s tone.

“You said yourself that you are in a state of emotional unrest. Dr Yonto can help you. Hence, I booked this appointment.”

“I said I wanted to talk to someone. I didn’t mean a psychologist!”

“Considering the circumstances, I don’t believe there’s anyone you should, or indeed even could, trust. The only option was to vie for someone who is legally bound to keep your past – or future as the case may be – a secret. Don’t worry, the neuro-inhibiters you have taken will start to take effect in a moment. You should have no problem ¬-”

“Ms Belus, Dr Yonto will see you now.” A secretary had appeared at the doorway. She smiled nervously at Daisy’s scowl and, making an odd humming sound, scuttled back to the front desk.

“Do you see what I mean? You need to stop intimidating everyone you meet. I’m sure you’ll be fine. I can stay with you, if you really want.” Ovak stood and began moving to the doorway.

Daisy pulled a puzzled face. I’m not that intimidating, am I? Surely not. She followed Ovak and moved toward the doorway, trying not to be offended at the way a patient pulled his son close and glared at her. She had to duck slightly to fit under the door frame.

Daisy was impressed with Dr. Yonto’s office: he clearly had good taste: insomuch as he had an affinity to the colour red. It had the same polished wooden floor as the waiting room, partially covered with a large patterned cinnamon rug. The walls were a vivid vermillion. The table was hewn from an expensive redwood, as was the shelf behind it. The chairs boasted red leather upholstery.

Dr. Yonto greeted Daisy with a warm simile. “I see you like my little office. Is it the red? I’ve always loved the colour. I say that red is like the fire of the human spirit. Probably doesn’t compare to anything you’re used to though.” He smiled and offered a hand to shake. Daisy tried her best not to break it; but even so, it was unlikely he would be writing anything for a few days.

Cradling his injured hand and doing his best to ignore the pain, he sat behind his desk. “I’ve heard a lot about you, Ms. Belus. I’m very honoured to have you here. It’s not every day we get patients from the future. Although, I’m guessing that’s partly why you’re here; am I right? You’re having some difficulty adjusting to a… normal life?”

Daisy nodded.

“I thought as much, your son seemed quite concerned for your wellbeing when he contacted us.”

Wait… son? Daisy was puzzled, but a glance over to Ovak helped her to realize what she’d missed about him before. His appearance seemed strange because it seemed similar to her own. He must’ve posed as her son to bypass the medical laws and get her in here. Clever ploy. She sat down on the couch, which she hadn’t noticed at first, tucked away from the door as it was. She didn’t really want to break any of Yonto’s chairs. “In all honesty, I don’t really know why I’m here. It was his idea”. She gestured to Ovak who was standing by the door as bolt as a signpost. Yonto swivelled to face him. “Well, what seems to be the problem?”

“She’s experiencing multiple symptoms of PTSD. She is prone to outbursts of anger, recklessness, nightmares, anxiety and also lack of empathy towards others.”

“Oh my. Nothing I need to be worried about, is there?” He gave a friendly wink to Daisy.

Daisy practically growled, but not entirely with malice. “Just so long as you never do that again.” She sighed. “So, do you really want to know what happened?”

Yonto placed his hands on the desk empathetically. “If that’s where you wish to begin, then by all means.”

Daisy sighed again. This wasn’t going to be the easiest conversation she had. Still, couldn’t hurt to try. Maybe Ovak was right and it would help her get over her past “tragedies”. She could always kill Yonto if worse came to worse.

On second thoughts, maybe that would be a bad idea. She briefly looked over the room, and decided she really had nothing to lose. It shouldn’t be too hard to turn Yonto into a pale shivering figure; and it sure would be fun to watch.

“Tell me, doctor, do you know why I look the way I do?”

“I only know what I’ve heard on the news. Although I presume it’s the result of gene mods? Expensive ones, by the looks of things.” He gave another smile. If Daisy had a dollar…

Struggling not to roll her eyes, Daisy continued. “Obviously. But do you know why?”

Yonto shook his head. Daisy noted Ovak leaving the room. He clearly wanted Daisy to handle this herself, for “maximum benefit” or some such.

“I thought as much.” She paused. “Tell me, doctor, do you have a family?”

He looked vaguely pensive. “I had a wife.”

“I see. So you know what it feels like then.”

“Like what feels like?”

“To lose someone.” He nodded empathetically. Daisy detected a slight loss of colour in his face already. She pressed on. “Now tell me, what lengths would you have gone to in order to save your wife?”

“It was a prion disease. Completely incurable.”

“Say you could. What lengths would you go to?”

“I… I don’t know.”

“Would you die for her? To save her?”

“Yes.”

“Would you kill?”

“I… maybe. Yes. Yes I would. What are you getting at?”

Daisy nodded with an air of satisfaction. “What am I getting at? It’s quite simple doctor. I turned myself into a living weapon; sacrificing decades off my life, sacrificing whole chunks of my humanity for one simple purpose: to protect the ones I loved. To protect my family.” She took a deep, but shaky breath. Her next words were spoken in a tone uncharacteristic of her stoic character “And I failed.”
Yonto was quick to pick up the thread. “Not entirely. You still have your son don’t you? Ovak, he said his name was. Right?”

Daisy gave a mirthless chuckle. “Ovak is a synthetic; a robot. You seriously couldn’t tell?” Yonto shook his head in confusion. “No? Well, he is… was… a commander in the 4th Enforcer regiment. He came with me from the future to help me stop Lapsus.”

Yonto seemed genuinely surprised. Daisy considered offering him a reference to an optometrist.

“My son – my real son: Myke – died. I failed him. And my husband - Reymond. I failed them both, doctor.” She paused for a moment. The pills she’d taken earlier were starting to take effect- she had stopped choking up on her words and her mind was becoming quieter by the minute.

“I see. Do you want to talk about it? You don’t have to if you don’t want, of course.”

She was feeling better by the second. Oh, this was going to be fun.

“I can trust you not to reveal anything I may say about the future? I have spent a great deal of time being vague in all the interviews I’ve been pushed into, and I probably don’t need to tell you what repercussion there might be if information I might reveal about the future were to get around in this time.”

“Of course: everything is private. One of the few places left where that can be said earnestly. No electronic records: everything’s on paper. No-one has access to your records that you don’t want to.”
“Good. So tell me, doctor, what have you heard about me?”

“As I said, only what I’ve seen in the news. You’re from some vague apocalyptic future and you came back to stop the boy who apparently caused the whole thing. You had half the Enforcer Corps chasing after you before you finally convinced them that you weren’t a lunatic and in turn they helped you track him down and put him in cryosleep. Personally, I’d say you have a tendency to be a little… sarcastic – if I was to be brutally honest. But I think you know that much already.” He tried a smile again; this one with a hint of apology.

“All correct doctor. Now, what I haven’t told the news station is who exactly this “boy” is. You see, his name is Lapsus; and he is my brother.”

“Your brother? But that would make you… Daisy? You… abducted your younger self?”

“It would seem the answer to that was apparent.”

“Why?”

“Simple, really. I knew from my own experience my reaction to… unexpected familial departures. Lapsus and I had drifted apart by the time the bastard betrayed us all, but in this time…. In this time I was very much protective of him. My original aim was to come back to a time before I met him and then I wouldn’t need to explain to my younger self why he needed a bullet in the head.”

“Sorry, met him?”

“He was adopted… in a manner of speaking. He escaped from an illegal research facility. My family took him in.”

“That would explain his… gifts.” Yonto mumbled more to himself than Daisy.

“He’s the bastard that brought down The Veil and ruined the world. My brother.” Daisy paused, picking up the earlier threads. “My husband and I met in a military programme. We’d both been selected for experimental gene and bionic enhancements- apparently with both had the DNA for it. Why you need good genes in order to modify them is beyond me, but that’s what the doctors told us. Physically, the risk was enormous, but in terms of remuneration-“ Daisy paused and considered her past occupation.

“It was worth it.” Daisy nodded affirmatively. “We, along with the fifteen others in the programme were tasked with taking down Lapsus. We were the only two on the mission that had any personal investment – Lapsus had betrayed me and Rey’s wife and infant son had been killed when Lapsus brought down The Veil. We became close in the months of chasing Lapsus do the depths of Hell and back. He was desperate to escape the memory of his past- to move on. I was desperately clinging onto the Lapsus I once knew as a child. We… balanced each other out; I suppose. And so, once Lapsus ran out of ferret holes to hide and we finally brought him in, we stayed together- drawing ourselves into a mutual balance. Six months later, we got married. I was 23 then, but I’d already seen more in the world than most people do in a lifetime. It wasn’t war - not at least as far as I can tell – but there were some things that happened on that hunt that are best left unspoken.”

“Experiences you and Reymond shared.”

“Exactly. And so we had Myke and for twelve years we were a happy family. I learnt to let go of the past, and Rey learnt to remember it and together we raised Myke with all the skill a widower and a warrior could muster. Which was, needless to say, not all that much. Myke wasn’t exactly the easiest of children.” Daisy smiled with melancholy at the memories of her son – fancy pills could only do so much to her.

“So he wasn’t easy. Provided a bit of a challenge for you then?”

“Oh! All the time. It didn’t help that he was very bright. But we still loved him, every time he got caught hacking into the school computer systems or making homemade weapons, or what have you. But we also worried for him – we were worried that one day he’d do something he’d regret and the consequences would be greater than a few detentions or a week of being grounded.” Daisy paused.

“We were right of course. He did end up doing something stupid. So, so stupid.” The sensation inside her was funny. She could feel the pain deep inside her yet the drugs smothered them like a blanket of snow. It was still there. Just hidden. Daisy loved the snow. 2137 had been the first year it was cold enough to snow in decades; it was the first time Daisy had seen it in real life. It was a week before Myke’s tenth birthday when it first happened. It was all over the news: ‘A great testament to the miraculous work of geoengineering- repairing the planet bit by bit’.

“Do you wish to continue?”

Daisy realised she hadn’t said anything for nearly a minute. She shook herself out of the snow. “Yes, sorry. Do you know it snows? In the future? It snows again.”

“It sounds wonderful, Ms. Ticron.”

“It is. Was. Will be?”

Yonto laughed, almost causing Daisy to spontaneously smile.

She continued. “But yes, for twelve years we were a happy family. Then something unthinkable happened. Lapsus escaped. Nobody knew how, he was put into a virtual reality and kept in a coma. But somehow he did: he destroyed twenty guards- both synthetic and human. Mercilessly. And then he vanished. Fearing that he may try and bring down The Veil again, new security measures were installed. What we didn’t realize at the time was that Lapsus planted the ideas for these security measure into the minds of the programmers. And so, what we did to protect our world became its undoing.” Daisy stopped to consider the irony.

“Lapsus took control over the system and turned it against us. Every centrally-based synthetic, computer, and machine fell under his control. More than eighty percent of all systems. The Enforcers that were left had no choice but to reactivate old pre-Veil military systems. They were primitive, but they were foreign to Lapsus and therefore secure.”

“What happened next?”

“What do think happened next? War. Carnage. Death. Sometimes it seemed far away. My team was a perfect fighting machine: we could win every battle. But we were only human, we could never win the war. We hit all the factories we could to stop him from producing more weapons and synthetics. Power plants too. It slowed him down, for a bit. But in the end, ‘slow him down’ was all we could do. He used chemical weapons on unshielded cities and refugee camps. Hundreds of millions died. There were a few safe places: the city of Novus was a globally sourced space-habitat, capable of supporting millions of people. It became one of the largest safe-houses.” Daisy paused and took a deep breath. Just when her life had begun to become normal, war had to drag her back.

She continued. “The ‘unthinkable’ has happened so many times in my life you’d think I wouldn’t have been surprised when Rey died. I knew what we were doing- what we were risking. Having a child… it changes you. You see the world differently. We couldn’t leave Myke alone, but we knew that if we didn’t fight, didn’t protect him – that there wouldn’t be a world left for him. That’s how we justified it to ourselves. Every synthetic we shot, crushed, burnt, or electrocuted was for Myke. But then Rey… died…” Daisy choked under the memory. The drugs kept the feeling fuzzy, but it still smothered her – like a blanket of snow.

Yonto was becoming paler as Daisy’s tale went on. He lived in a world were peace was supreme and war was a distant but dark memory. The future Daisy laid out before him was the stuff of fiction and nightmares. It was no wonder she had risked everything to come back and change it. He brought his full attention back to Daisy as she regained her composure.

“I lost it after that. The web of lies I constructed to keep myself going had been slashed straight through. My team continued on without me, but with ever diminishing hope. The Aurora arrived from Tartarus. But it could only carry so many people…”

“Sorry… the what?”

“Oh… sorry.” The question caught Daisy completely off guard, shattering the drama she’d been building somewhat. “The Aurora. It was the first FTL ship ever made. You’d probably find it’s under construction right now if you bothered to take a look.”

“I see.” He made a mental note to investigate further while he waited for Daisy to continue.

Daisy puzzled for a moment. “But yes… the Aurora came. It was going to ferry as many people to Mars as it could. The colonies there could support a bit over a million people. There was a lottery. It was unpopular, but fair. Myke was among those chosen but he refused to go. He insisted on staying with me. His place was taken by an office worker for a green-energy firm. Or at least it would’ve been. Had… Had…”

“Had what, Ms. Belus?” Yonto leaned forward intently.

“I’d sunk into a terrible state. Myke was on the verge of running away, he was so scared. He admitted that to me later. But I didn’t know it at the time. I hardly remember anything from those long weeks. Only pain, and anger, and fear. Some days I remember clearer than others. I woke one morning in more lucid state to find police in my bedroom. They say I murdered him. The office worker. I must’ve somehow thought that he was stealing Myke’s place aboard the Aurora. Destruction was my forte, so I acted. I didn’t even know.”

“That must’ve been terrible for you. To not even remember…”

“Oh, not really. I think forgetting is far better than remembering. It’s not like I needed another face to add to my nightmares. Besides, there weren’t really any consequences. What with the world ending and all. The police force was jury-rigged together. They were there to stop rioting and keep the people from spreading more chaos from being wrought. They had more important things to do than worry about petty murder.” Petty murder. I suppose everything only matters in its perspective.

“I… see…”

“Anyway, I was needed back in action on the ‘frontline’, as it were. While the Aurora evacuated citizens and what military we could muster held Lapsus’ army at bay, I was tasked with escorting people into the old bunkers. I didn’t know at the time, but the plan was to carpet bomb the entire surface of the Earth with anti-matter weapons. The emergency government we had knew it was the only way to ensure the survival of humans as species. Unfortunately, it involved destroying all of civilization and killing billions. Still, it beats the nuclear option. At least we could start rebuilding immediately rather than having to wait centuries to be able to step outside.”

“I’m in no position to pass judgement, but either option seems pretty desperate to me.”

“Oh, we were desperate. We were very, very desperate. So I was trafficking refugees into bunkers, with the aid of what soldiers and synthetics we could spare. It was getting close to the date of the bombing, the Aurora was making its last trip and I was escorting the last group - around a thousand: families, children. Myke was among them. I still hadn’t been told what was going to happen, but I had an inkling. It made my work harder- I knew that for every man, woman, and child that I brought underground there were a hundred more out there somewhere, who were going to die. Not just die, but have their entire existence erased- every last trace of them. ‘Save as many as I could.’ That was my motto. My plan. It kept me on track. My love for my son may have kept me going in the early stages, but after Rey… I had to accept that the world was bigger than just myself and my family. And no matter how bad I felt… there was someone else out there who had lost more, or was going to lose more than I ever did.”

“Under the circumstances, I am very impressed you managed to keep going.”

“It wasn’t easy. Even after I managed to wrangle the psychological breakdowns under control, I was still plagued physically by gene mods, which had become even more extreme and experimental. When I wasn’t on missions I spent my time studying biochemistry and genetics, so I could provide some input into the whole process. A combination of my tactical knowledge and the newfound scientific knowledge meant that I had some practical ideas, actually. One problem we encountered was on the aerial front.” She closed her eyes and remembered the sounds of the drones that brought death with them.

She opened her eyes. “We had very few ways to combat their aircraft. We jury-rigged as many civilian aircraft as we could, but Lapsus had control over all the Enforcer craft. Then I had this wild idea to give our soldiers wings. At first, Ovak and the other officers thought I was insane. But it made sense, really. Normal humans are far too heavy for powered flight, but super-soldiers like myself are far lighter. Plus, the weapons they had were designed to destroy electronic equipment- not people. Except for their neurotoxin, which only had partial effects on super-soldiers anyway. So I had Ovak graft artificially grown wings onto a group of volunteer soldiers. And Myke as well: I was giving him many of the mods I thought were reliable. To keep him safe. The whole thing was a crazy plan, or as Ovak put it; it was an idea so insane that only a human could’ve come up with it.” Daisy smiled. “But it worked. Lapsus didn’t expect it and there was little he could do to counter it.”

“Curious tactic. Not that I’d know.”

“As I said, we were desperate. Now, where was I up to?”

“You were escorting a group of refugees to a bunker.”

Daisy’s smile dropped. “Right. Well, there I was, escorting a group of a few thousand into an old bunker. We were having a whale of a time, as you might expect, what with them whining the whole way. I don’t know what they were complaining about, they had trucks to ride in. I had to fly. So, progress was slow. To make matters worse, there was a patrol group of synthetics in the area- it was a road we used commonly and Lapsus knew that. We used cloaking technology to hide ourselves, but that was only a long-distance measure. We knew that if they got too close, they’d call in back-up and then there’d be attack craft all over us and a few canisters of nerve-gas later there’d be nothing but a few thousand corpses, broken machinery and me, probably. I’d survived an attack like that before. I’ve seen a lot of devastation in my lifetime, doctor, but that scene haunts me every day. And night.” Daisy paused, trying to shake of the ghosts of twisted figures, caught frozen in the agony of their deaths.
“It sounds like you have lot of that. Haunting, that this.” Daisy noticed his voice was thin, but with a surprising undercurrent of resoluteness. But she ignored his comment.

“They called rest. On the second night of travel. They refused to sleep in a moving truck, and insisted they set up a camp. I told them they were being idiots. But the rule of any group is that the intelligence falls to the lowest common denominator. I counter-insisted we needed to press on or risk being discovered. If it had just been a group of idiot refugees, I might’ve been fine to let them get themselves all killed. But with Myke there…. I wasn’t happy. Not happy at all.” Daisy’s train of thought wandered elsewhere.

“You know, when I first had the idea for wings Ovak suggested we call it the Daedalus Squadron. I told him that would be a bad idea, because Daedalus lost his son and that wasn’t really something I wanted to happen to me. We ended up calling ourselves The Valkyries.” She snorted. “Given what happened, Daedalus would’ve been better. Or at least more ironic.”

“And what did happen?”

“Exactly what I knew would happen. The patrol found us. They sent off for air support. I and the other soldiers who were flight-capable flew out to try and stop them while Ovak and the rest stayed with the convoy to put up a force-field and protect the refugees. We were very lucky- Lapsus was orchestrating a large attack on Tokyo and so there were few aircraft in the area. Well, maybe not lucky, but it meant our chances of survive jumped from zero to highly unlikely. Many of the soldiers had their families with them in the convoy, and they fought to their last breaths to protect them. In the end it came to a stalemate between a gunship that had some sort of shielding from the EM weapons we were using and myself.”

Daisy paused and took a long breath. “Ovak and the other soldiers were fairing little better trying to hold off another similar ship that was attacking the force-field. It was then that Myke made the wonderful decision to come and help me. I told to him never try and help me. I told him he’d be hurt, or worse. I told him that all the mods I made him undertake were for emergencies. I drilled it into him. But he didn’t listen. He never listened. Ovak tried to stop him, but Myke was too smart for his own good. He knew just what to say to Ovak to let him go. When a human threatens suicide, a synthetic always must always do what is in their power to prevent it. Did you know that, doctor?”

“No, I can’t say I did. Makes sense though.”

“Oh, normally it does. Here though… he cleverly exploited a piece of programming designed to stop people from being stupid and throwing away their lives, and in doing so threw away his own.” Daisy paused as a fresh blanket of emotion threatened to smother her. Anger at her son for disobeying her most important instruction and for being so reckless. Anger at herself for not doing more to try and stop him, for putting thoughts into his head by giving him the mods. But above all, a sense of emptiness as she recollected the events of that night and remembered the dread as she saw Myke approaching, watched him burn, watched him fall.

“Ms. Belus?”

“I’m sorry.” She shook herself back into lucidity, allowing the drugs to take away the pain. “Ten millilitres of propane. That’s all it took to kill him. He came in blundering like an idiot without any armour and only a rifle as a weapon. He was just a child, and no threat - but that didn’t matter. Not to the drone, and not to Lapsus watching from some screen in his bunker. I didn’t see him hit the ground, but I did see him fall.” She paused.

“It was almost beautiful, in a way. The feeling you get from watching something like that… it’s empty and hollow. And so I watched in emptiness as my only son fell in slow motion; weaving the most intricate patterns through the air in a trail of flame and smoke. I don’t remember what happened next. According to Ovak, I was lying in the forest a few hundred meters form the camp site with traces of neurotoxin in my system riddled with bullet holes. I guess the drone must’ve hit me when I was distracted. I was cursed to survive. Damn Ovak. And damn the mods.”

“Is surviving really a curse? We all lose people, eventually. I know that’s not what you want to hear, and I don’t mean to diminish the horrific events you’ve gone through in any way, Ms. Belus, but I do want you to think about it. In the end, all we are, all we become, are the memories of those whose lives we touch. We die, yet we live on in the memories of our friends and families. To be a survivor, it means to carry the burden of memory. You can never get the people you love back, but you will always remember them, and so they will live on.”

“I… guess… you’re right.”

Yonto nodded slowly. “You must’ve spent some time with the refugees once you reached the bunker? Surely they lost people. Did you discuss your son with any of them?”

“Oh, I did. A bit. But Ovak was forced to activate a teleporter to get the refugees to safety. And believe me, they aren’t any safer in the future. Between that, the soldiers we lost, and the people who died after the ships breached Ovak’s force-field, nearly a third of the convoy were dead or injured. Everyone had lost someone. So many were caught up in their own woes that few even began to think about others’ troubles. And I don’t blame them. I wanted to the same, but I had a duty. And as much as I loved my son, and wanted to do nothing more than roll over and die at that moment, to not exist anymore, I knew that I still had to protect those people.”

“This may sound pathetic, Ms. Belus, but I find that quite inspirational. So many people now-days think their own problems are more important than those of others.”

“Ha. Well, it was that or let anarchy and panic rule. So, I did what I could. I added Myke to the memorial the refugees were building to all the people they’d lost over the past few months. When you see that your son is just one of dozens, hundreds. Millions. It… helped in a way.” Daisy paused for a long while.

“Ovak found the body, when he was looking for me in the forest. He gave him a soldier’s burial having carried me half-conscious to watch. It’s a bit vague, in here”, she tapped her head, “but I remember it was beautiful. There were wild flowers growing. It was nice to see something unspoilt by humans; something not burnt by Lapsus’ synthetic army.” She shifted her thoughts.

“As I said, maybe they should’ve called us the Daedalus Squadron after all. That’s how it went, didn’t it? A man and his son try to free themselves from oppression, so the man builds them wings to fly away on. He tells his son to be careful, but the son doesn’t listen, and falls into the sea. Difference is, Icarus was so swept up in the beauty of the moment that he lost himself and his wings melted under the warmth of the sun. He died surrounded in beauty. Myke… he may have lost himself when he tried to help me, but he was lost in fear, not beauty. Lapsus had seen to that.” Daisy stopped for a moment.
“But then there he was: surrounded by colour and tranquillity. Seeing him laid to rest in the wildflowers… it wasn’t just him being buried, it was every child on the planet. All of them having their lives torn apart by war and death. All of them eventually betrayed and slaughtered by their own leaders, who were so desperately trying to save humankind that they may just have lost humanity. That’s what I saw in Myke as he lay in the wildflowers. And even though at that moment I couldn’t have put a sentence together: that was when I knew.”
Her gazed hardened with a determination of a warrior. The determination of a mother.

“That’s when I knew I had to come back.”
Spoiler:
Introduction, or a Brief History of Magic
The discovery and progression of magic to its current all-encompassing state over recent centuries owes itself to a long and arduous history full of struggles and challenges. There were a number of times in history that the practice of magic would’ve died out completely if it weren’t for the actions of a few souls who continued to practise; even against the authorities of their times.

Pre History (1.5b y.a.- 10,000 y.a.)
Magic has appeared within several species over the eons, all of which appear to share a common ancestor some 1.5 billion years ago. It is believed that a natural magic phenomena such as the collapse of a Barrier or some starlight mechanism occurred that irradiated a portion of the Earth, thereby mutating the DNA of the proto-bacteria in the region and allowing for the expression of magical abilities. This is why the MNA of modern magical creatures all have the same base structure, with further carrier-particles allowing for expressions of different abilities. The processes of magical mutation and information of MNA and the lineage of modern magical creatures are expanded on the Biomancy chapter (Ch. 17)

While the use of magic may seem to be an obvious advantage in the race of evolution, in actual fact it is more comparable to the development of a fifth leg- unwieldy and unnecessary. It is very easy for a magic user to overexert themselves and destroy their central nervous system or otherwise injure themselves by the use of magic which is inherently unpredictable in its nature. This is why the number of successful magical species have been quite low. Compounding this was the taxing nature of magic on mental faculties, requiring the development of more powerful brains that for millions of years simply didn’t exist. Fortunately, the MNA genes remained- albeit dormant awaiting those rare mutants who did manage to use magic effectively. They would have a significant survival advantage over non-magical creatures.

Unlike all other magical animals, humans did not naturally evolve to use magic but have learnt to artificially stimulate the MNA through the introduction of artificial carrier-particles (Aside from a few extremely rare mutants). This is achieved through the use of high-voltage electricity which, on passing through the magic field created by the MNA, will spontaneously transmorph into carrier-particles allowing for the use of magical abilities. This is called the awakening (of dormant abilities). For most of human history, the only way to activate these abilities was through exposure to lightning, meaning that magical abilities within humans were exceedingly rare. The consumption of/exposure to magical plants or animals will often lead to carrier-particles entering the system. This can have a range of effects depending on the origin of the carrier-particles and the nature of the exposure, which has led to the development of P/T (potions and tinctures) as an area of study for magical researchers. The nature of the awaking and the processes of interaction between physical and magical phenomena are expanded on in chapter 2. P/T are expanded on in chapters 20-22.

For the past several tens of millions of years, there have been instances where atypical magical creatures arise- monsters. While in more recent history many of these have their origins in human biomancy experiments or magical accidents, the ones created in prehistory have quite different origins. It is known that fluctuations in the Earth’s magnetic field, interactions with ionized solar wind and various other electromagnetic disturbances effect magical fields. Records of these disturbances based on variations of carrier-particle decay in fossil records show extremely high natural magical activity in the areas where monsters have arisen. It is believed that these high levels of magical activity can occasionally spontaneously mutate the MNA within (particularly receptive) magical animals resulting in a biomancic reaction and the creation of a new monster. It is curious to note that most monsters have negligible senescence (they do not age), and rarely stray from their point of inception. Even though it is usually thousands of years (at the minimum) between the creation of monsters, due to their lack of a natural lifespan and (usually) formidable abilities, it is very rarely that one dies and as such their numbers have built up over the eons. It is important to note that there are many monsters that are purely mythical. It isn’t too far of an extension for a primitive Ancient Greek to go from seeing the Hydra to dreaming up The Typhoon. Monsters are discussed in chapter 5.

Early History (10,000 – 2,200 y.a.)
The exceeding rarity of magical abilities in early humans often lead to a reverence for those with powers. Combined with the lack of communication and information storage the research into magic was almost non-existent. As a result, practisers would stick to what abilities came naturally and easily. Healing abilities and premonitions are both highly subconscious magical processes and were some of the most common forms of primitive magic. Understandably, a lot of magical practices became intertwined with religion. Sites across Europe from the early Bronze Age show the use of beaten sheets of metal attached to dead trees, cliffs, or rarely to monoliths. It is believed these served as lightning rods designed to attract lightning for the purpose of awakening- almost certainly as part of a religious ceremony. Along with these opulent metal-clad rods, there is evidence that numerous natural rods (again; trees, cliffs, hills, etc.) were also used. Because it was believed that being struck by lightning (and surviving), and thereby being awaked, was seen as a great honour- that one was “chosen by the gods”, it was likely that only a lucky few- high ranking warriors, leaders or the apprentices of current magic users ever got to use such lightning-rods. The wealth of the offerings made to the gods that have been discovered and such rods seems to confirm this. Surviving oral traditions, carvings, and archaeological searches of sites have revealed that many magic users became leaders with reverence of them often becoming worship. Being awakened would undoubtedly be seen as a divine power intervening with the mortal world- confirming the awoken to be a mighty and unstoppable force. Many leaders would uses these beliefs to consolidate their reign. Almost of the most successful Stone Age and Bronze Age kings were practisers of magic.

P/T saw some development over this time. Duties of P/T making were often relegated to magic users or their non-magical apprentices. Hunting of magical creatures for their useful properties quickly resulted in population decimation. Continental unicorns were all but extinct by the dawn of the Roman Empire- the healing properties of alicorn were highly sought after and their inability to be domesticated meant that they had little other use. Behemoths too were hunted for the strength and size enhancement their meat brought, and the incredible versatility of their hide. They became extinct in Asia and Europe- the remaining few being pushed high into Russia where, without any predators and with food abundant, they flourished and soon became too large to hunt. Unsurprisingly, the first colonies of giants appeared at the sites of behemoth killings. Many monsters were also hunted at this time. The Greeks and early Romans in particular almost emptied the Mediterranean of monsters. Many of these monsters wove their way into mythology- their strange, rare, powerful, and terrifying nature meant that it wasn’t hard to imagine them being the spawn of gods or the bringers of fate.
Arising in Nubia in the late Stone Age before moving into Egypt in the early Bronze Age and eventually into Classical Greece were a cult of magic users (the names they have used changed considerably over the centuries but are commonly referred to as the Cult of the Chimera). They were among the first to legitimately study magic and attempt to understand its workings. Initially, the experiments they conducted were done with the purpose of healing. However, their order soon became corrupt and their experiments turned to more twisted roots of biomancy. They became obsessed with unlocking the secrets to eternal life and in creating the perfect warrior. They created many new chimeras and hybrid creatures- most either died or live horrible, short lives. Some the monsters they created lived on however and were studied and released. Both the Egyptian and Greek Sphinx, harpies, centaurs, fauns, and various other human-hybrids have all been traced back to their cruel experiments. Despite the inhumanity of the experiments they conducted, many of aspects of their methodology became the standard for magical research and the knowledge they ascertained in their studies is often cited even today.

Jesus and the Magical Dark Age (2200 y.a. – 800 y.a.)
Born around 2200 years ago, Jesus was the first powerful magical user to attempt to use magic as a way of gathering people together in peace. As there are no records of any incident within his life that could be seen as an awakening, it is believed that he was born with his gifts naturally. He trained for a short time with the Cult of the Chimera who recognised his natural talents. He soon left them, disgusted by their practices. With the magical knowledge he possessed, he began preaching around the Sea of Galilie, recording his teachings in a journal and entrusting them to a group of disciples. Unfortunately his journal was taken after his death and was lost. However, his teaching continued, albeit in a continually twisted way.

Association with the Cult of the Chimera - which had now been fully exposed and was synonymous with evil- with the practice of magic forced early Christians to separate themselves with claims that Jesus’ acts were divine miracles and not magical in nature. This evolved into the belief that all magic must be evil resulting in the total banning of all magical practice for over 1400 years with many practisers being persecuted if not murdered. The only faucet of magic being practiced at the time was alchemy which shares only a name with the modern practices of alchemy- the experiments were crude and very little progress was made. A lack of knowledge about the distinctions of magical and physical sciences is partly to blame.

The Enlightenment and colonialism
Following in the footsteps of the cultural and scientific revolution of the Renaissance beginning 600 years ago, there was a magical revolution that swept across Europe and into the greater world as colonies were begun abroad. This was spurred in part by the discoveries of many native peoples and their systems of mysticism- they had kept the lights going while Europe remained dimmed during the dark ages. The difficulty in awakening magical abilities and the lack of unity in native peoples still meant that new discoveries on the magical front were slow. However, over the centuries of culture they had built up, many tribes and nations had unique knowledge that proved the fuel for many conversations between scholars back in Europe. Likewise, rediscoveries and renewed interest in the magic practices of the Ancient world were popular discussions. In particular the abilities of foresight were put into contention as, more than any other magical practice at the time, the ability to predict the future was seen as stepping into God’s domain. It is in part owed to investigations into ancient magical practices that inspired the Lutheran religious revolution.

Also of interest to European scholars were the monsters and new magical life found in the Orient, in Africa, and America. Many specimens were brought back for study- dead or alive. Again, magical creatures had found their way into the mythology of the local peoples.

Meanwhile, technology continued to develop. Most natural philosophers and inventors saw the natural world as being separate from the magical one. Indeed, many saw it as being divine (or demonic) in nature. However, some minds envisioned the interconnectedness of these two universal forces- Leonardo da Vinci imagined great machines of transport, commerce, and war powered by magic after witnessing a demonstration of magic; including a newly-designed spell that could trap heat and later release it in sudden bursts. This particular spell found little practical use outside of the making of luxury pistols at the time, but became indispensable as the basis for many combat spells later in history. Regardless, the study of one faucet of the Universe usually implied the study of the other, and most “scientists” of the time were well acquainted3 with both the magical and the physical.

The greatest restriction during this time was the difficulty in awakening people. Methods still hadn’t evolved beyond waiting for a lightning strike, and although many attempts were made to replicate the conditions needed after the discovery and utilization of electrical technologies, no successful attempts were completed. While there was some development of magical technologies that could create and/or replicate spells, most experiments still required practisers. Surviving a lightning strike in this era could easily result a life of fortune- ironically it would probably the luckiest thing that could happen to a person. It was little wonder that virtually every practiser held some honourable position in society or another, with many also being notable scientists or magical scholars. Isaac Newton was one such who had an intuitive grasp of the manipulation of physical forces with magic- he would often amuse himself by drawing patterns with light or observing how animals reacted to the sensation of weightlessness. This led him to important discoveries in optics and famously the discovery of gravity.

Also, IMO, Daisy is not a name I'd ever wish upon anyone.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:49 am

Unfortunately, the forum de-formated all my beautifully formatted work when I pasted it in. I can change the colour though. I'll get right on that.

I thought I specified that she knew she wouldn't die in the story. Yes. I did "she took of her helmet. She doubted she really needed it". See? See?!!!!
But you're right, I should make that clearer.

Ah, Daisy isn't her real name. Her surname is Belus, which prompted her parents to name her Perneus. That way she could be nick-named Daisy (because, who'd want to be called Perneus). It's a cruel thing her parents did and my literary revenge for my parents decided that everyone in the family needed to start with the letter "M". She hates the name herself, and it is designed to be incongruent with her character, especially in older iterations of her.

Edit: yep, I have no idea how to change the colour.
This is a signature.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:56 am

Step 1: Click the quote button on my post
Step 2: Copy what's inside the [quote="Dr. Mackeroth"][/quote]
Step 3: Edit your original post
Step 4: Paste over the post
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:20 am

Ah, ok. Because you can only survive about 30 seconds in the vacuum of space before you die. For a normal human at least. It was ambiguous.

Looking good though!

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:48 am

Hey dont feel too bad mack there are a lot of weird limitations on ppl's names in loads of families. In here you get to carry a name of one of your dead relatives, sometimes not even relatives as if someone dies and his family has no one to carry his name his family will ask someone pregnant to name their child after that dead relative and you cannot decline, tough luck O.o. I carry two names, one of my grandfather from mah mothers side and one of my great grandfathers from my fathers side which makes my name in the pasport extreeemly long (worse even it was in all my school lists so when a new teacher came in he first stared at the long long string of text for a minute then either called me alex or sharel beacuse neither of my real names fit in the chart slot. Even better ppl we had an actual Alex in class so those lessons were quite a mess ...).

With that being said though it makes more sense than calling everyone names beginning with m, perhaps it has a reason behind it ? Worth asking ... Either way its not as bad as being named pernus, perhaps a name with more respect towards its bearer while carrying hidden critisism towards it, sure its much harder to come up with such name but that is what makes it so beautiful !