Hi guys!!!

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
Re: Hi guys!!!

Post by  ҉  » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Tau wrote:But unlike a proper admin, I can't perform any moderation duties, as per the forum rules.
<deep, shuddering breath>

OK. You understand that clarification of this point was the pretty direct cause of most of the major moderation drama on the forums? Especially when Shiva left. And then Tiel's whole thing. We've burned at least two entire forums over this issue. Basically the idea is that administrators have no moderation power whatsoever. They exist solely to maintain the forum. No single person should have that kind of power. I would have real problems with that bit of the forum rules had the rules actually been enforced even a single time in the last year plus. Basically this is a bad jar to reopen, is what I'm saying here.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:10 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Tau wrote:But unlike a proper admin, I can't perform any moderation duties, as per the forum rules.
I guess I can agree with that.

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:24 pm

If I implied that I did want to have that kind of power, it was accidental. I want to leave the moderation to the moderators on this forum, mainly because trying to handle all of that myself is simply too much for me to manage without tick everyone off. I was just saying (sort of) that in most other communities I've been a part of, the admin(s) have also acted as moderators.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:37 pm

Tau wrote:If I implied that I did want to have that kind of power, it was accidental. I want to leave the moderation to the moderators on this forum, mainly because trying to handle all of that myself is simply too much for me to manage without tick everyone off. I was just saying (sort of) that in most other communities I've been a part of, the admin(s) have also acted as moderators.
I understood. The current generation of the forum rules gives you fairly substantial moderation power, though. No-one around here uses it, but not because it isn't there.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:42 pm

In every community I've been in administrators act as more powerful moderators when necessary. Keyword: necessary. I find it comparable to ranks in the military - the role of senior enlisted is to keep newer soldiers in line while the commissioned go about planning etc. Any instance in which an officer must intervene and temporarily seize the duties delegated to NCOs is a failure in the chain of command. Likewise a properly functioning forum shouldn't require a maintainer to step in, but sometimes it does.

In smaller boards from my experience, however, it's not uncommon for one individual to wear both hats simply out of convenience. Believe it or not, 'one person having that much power' is the rule, not the exception, at least on forums of this size. What we've seen on this site and the previous is that everyone that knows how to effectively wear one hat just can't quite fit the other on top and the whole structure comes toppling down. That's the only reason we have two ranks for what would otherwise be the same position - to have one to host and maintain the site, and the other to oversee the group it draws. Statistically reduces the chance of a fuckup by around 50%.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:12 am

Stop, you're giving LJS a boner.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:28 am

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:14 am

cannonfodder wrote:gay
Who? The admin?
Yea, guess you've been gone for a while...
kek.

Also ACH, your Emperor can kiss my ***!
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:32 am

No more discussion of bronies, ponies, heresy, or anything related in this thread any more.

@Tiel you raise a good piint, but do bear in mind we have two people : admin and moderator. We're just large enough to have two, but three or more might be excessive, I think.

@Mercury Was a large-font declaration of LJS' authorityboner entirely required?

@Ivan If he means me, my official response is "Only half."

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:08 pm

Guys, on topic please. If you want to argue about the privileges/rights of moderators/admins, I'm sure there's a thread somewhere else for that. If there's nothing else to add to the topic (I'm guessing there's not as you've all acknowledged my existence by now), then just let the topic be.
This is a signature.

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:37 pm

no one's arguing...?

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:49 pm

Shouldn't this be in the Member's Lounge anyway?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:49 am

cannonfodder wrote:no one's arguing...?
Well, it looked like an argument to me. I apologise if that was my misinterpretation of what a calm discussion looks like.

And whoever suggest this be moved to the member's lounge is probably right. Someone with powers please do that immediately. At once.
This is a signature.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 am

Welcome back Mack! Contrary to rumors, I am actually doing more things than RP's (Though I do quite enjoy rp's). For the first time in forever, I am working on a considerable NR fleet, and I am drawing up concept art for the RTS project, as well as actually doing some sound/music stuff. I'm actually productive again. Mostly.

For all you heretics, I shall open my shipyard within a month or two. Got lots to build you see, and no time to do it.

We missed you mack, and we still stick together. Mostly.

Also Mack:
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:00 pm

Spoiler:
— David Langford
Spoiler: