Merry Chrimbo

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder
Re: Merry Chrimbo

Post by Error » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:43 pm

Knowing lego prices, probably not, actually.

Seriously, for chunks of plastic, it's reaching Apple levels of overpriced.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:57 pm

LEGO product prices:
10%: material and production
30%: product development
60%: branding and profit
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:47 pm

My parents must've wasted a fortune on all these bionicles, now that I think about it /:|

Still worth it. Those were good times.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Error

Post by Error » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:55 pm

I just had a shitload of the '80s and '90s lego bricks and bits. Cobbled stuff together from spares, as it were.

In my day, we didn't need no bloody instructions or special parts. /oldguyrant

That said, the 10kg supercarrier was pretty fun to build. And equally fun to slowly cannibalize for other projects.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:30 pm

I bought and received a shit-tonne of legos when I was younger. My now 7-year-old brother has now in a way inherited it, I suppose.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:14 pm

I've got at least two cubic meters of lego in our storage locker, all accrued from '05 to '09, but with at least a third dating back to the early '90s.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Error

Post by Error » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:16 pm

The stuff I used aged surprisingly well, all things considered. I guess it hadn't been stepped on much (sh*t's worse'n broken glass!), or maybe just unused for much of its life.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:36 pm

And my verdict is:
New MTT < Old MTT (by a *lot*, old one is one of my favorite sets, new one is bad on its own and terrible by comparison)
New droid gunship > old droid gunship (slightly less accurate coloration, but a much nicer build, and better detailing)
New ISD = old ISD (new one is a good couple inches smaller, but a much sturdier build, and generally easier to deal with; old probably has better playability, but new looks better IMO)
New B-wing < old B-wing (slightly reserved on this one, as I need a bit more time with it, but while I think it may actually be more accurate it certainly looks worse)
Coruscant police gunship is a very satisfying set. It's a strange vehicle for them to choose, but it's a very nice build and I like the figures.
Antivehicle cannon is pretty nice. There's not that much to it, and it's smaller than minifigure scale, but the Wolfpack troopers are nice and it's a set I've been wanting since the CW movie came out in 2008, so I can forgive these things.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

cannonfodder

Post by cannonfodder » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:40 pm

The general trend seems to be less for more.

I just glanced at their site and this generation of battlepacks isn't all that endearing.

I got a sweater about a day before Christmas, I guess because there isn't a tree or anything. So that's something.

Error

Post by Error » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I find assembling special parts from instructions... boring. If I wanted to do that, well, that's why IKEA exists.

Personally, the assembling something from random bits (and not knowing precisely how thw result will look) is much more fun. Almost like... discovering, instead of inventing a new design or layout. Hell, even with a cache of 35 assorted parts I can manage 6 or 7 unique designs for... well, a bunch of stuff.

That said, the specialty parts can be cannibalized wonderfully into original designs.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:48 pm

Whatever you say, Master Builder.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Fleet Intelligence wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I find assembling special parts from instructions... boring. If I wanted to do that, well, that's why IKEA exists.

Personally, the assembling something from random bits (and not knowing precisely how thw result will look) is much more fun. Almost like... discovering, instead of inventing a new design or layout. Hell, even with a cache of 35 assorted parts I can manage 6 or 7 unique designs for... well, a bunch of stuff.

That said, the specialty parts can be cannibalized wonderfully into original designs.
Urr. I know what you're saying, but while I do love LEGO in and of itself I love Star Wars more. My primary purpose is to end with as accurate a representation of whatever vehicle I'm building as possible. That's why my favorites are always the huge UCS sets.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Post by CommanderKobialka » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:39 pm

I got a snowball microphone and a few free months in EVE. And sick. I got sick, too. Oh ya and a nuclear powered mech suit. It's okay, I guess.
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Where did you get the nuclear reactor? The Russians?

If so, it's probably rigged to spew radiation everywhere. Give it to Best Korea. They could use something like that.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:28 pm

I may have judged the B-wing too quickly. I don't like the wing design compared to the old one, and of course it doesn't hold a candle to the UCS model, but the body of the craft and the cockpit are nicer than whichever older version I have, and the figures are good. I also hadn't realized that the protocol droid included in JEK-14's scout starfighter was actually canon--it's the one that shows up very briefly in the sandcrawler in ANH. That does a lot for my opinion of the set.