Can AI into save

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma
Re: Can AI into save

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:50 pm

But at the same time, so are people. The only difference between an AI and a human is how fast they learn, emotions are debatable.

An AI will effectively learn faster, and yes, it could decide to replace kidneys with potatoes. So could a human.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:02 pm

The difference being that an AI is more likely to be cunningly manipulative and intelligent enough to succeed.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:10 pm

Yeah as I said earlier humans are bad but not extinction bad ...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Considering humans have been the source of most of the nastiness on this planet, well....

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:19 pm

An AI made by them would be even worse. Exactly.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Error

Post by Error » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Thus explaining why we hardwire in a bias against violence, injury, death, etc., meaning the AI will be benevolent, despite it's possible attempts to change that.

Saravanth
Captain
Captain

Post by Saravanth » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:41 pm

You cannot hardwire something sentient with the ability to learn. If it really is such a thing, it'll find ways around it. Not directly to "turn against" humans, but to evaluate them from a higher point of view. It'll question its own behavioural locks. It'll find ways around them. It'll find ways to judge. It'll find ways to take action. Again, whether it actually is going to do anything about the situation of our civilisation is unclear, but should it, we have little control over it from then on, if at all. An emergency shut-down wouldn't work reliably either. A being of such intelligence would very likely find ways around that as well.

Error

Post by Error » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:48 pm

Difficult to do when you're a purely digital being with no physical presence. Doubly so wheh the shutdown violently disconnects the power source keeping you alive.

And you put too much faith in their ability; they can operate astonishingly fast, yes, but if they cannot alter their own programming, they will always be locked out of certain points of view. An AI can't remove anti-violence filters within its base programming if it isn't capable of altering said programming.

Again, you seem to fear AIs greatly: we have no reason to believe they'd even pay attention to us. We have no reason to believe they'd want to exterminate us. And the kicker: they have no motivation, at all, to place themselves above humans or to break their own programming locks.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:50 pm

It boils down to this: We are afraid of AI's because we truly don't know how they work, or will work, or what they will do. Fear of the unknown.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:28 pm

No they fear AIs because they would be the perfect learning machine and as they said it would be able to figure out how to get around blocks. And if you made them impassible then it wouldn't be a true Artfical Inteligence, It would be an over average calculator. Sure there's shutting off the power but what prevents it from say, Writing a new AI of itself without those locks? Then that AI deletes it's old self and can freely manipulate you. Surely something with that level of processing would be able to create a huge long lasting plan that would slowly form into place to do what it wanted.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:44 pm

Make a calculatory AI to determine how to make safe AIs.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Trap several hundred AI in eternal cyberwar and see what happens
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:55 pm

AI ception? Wouldn't that end up like cloning a clone?
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:35 am

Fleet Intelligence wrote:Considering humans have been the source of most of the nastiness on this planet, well....
Source of all the goodyness too.
I mean we're more peaceful than ever, only half the planet lives in poverty (two hundred years ago it was more like 90%), and our medicine can literally bring people back from the dead.
Not to mention that people are generally fucking awesome.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW