Can AI into save

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK
Re: Can AI into save

Post by Vinyl » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:50 pm

It isn't a calculator, it is a hyper-intelligent advisor. That's why you'd use an AI instead of a VI.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:23 pm

Make AI, but have it disconnect from entire network. Then, cannot into Skynet. Also, no manufacturing abilities. In fact, ensure it cannot access anything but it's own files.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:45 pm

To quote Admiral Adama, "I will not have a network computerized system aboard this ship!"

AI's are not networked, government systems are not networks. AI's do stuff but they are isolated units. They can intercommunicate but it is monitored. They are basically advisers, advisers that run the nation via proxy.

They are fed real-time information on a lot of things, but this is a strictly one-way connection. AI cannot into skynet.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Memory is bad too. Make it run solely off of quantum punch cards.
Guaranteed shut down capabilities.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:22 am

Please explain me why the hell do you need an AI ? IF you want it to "Talk" to you then first of all why the fk would you want that and second can be done by non AIs. So far you just gave no reason to use AIs apart from "AIs are cooler ! I wanna have AIs !" stuff.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:17 am

AI's can do the job of 10 humans better, faster, and without judgement or bias. Mainly speed; for example, electronic warfare and hacking would be handled by an AI since a human cannot multitask fast enough to do so.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:26 am

AIs can also work 24/7 and need no payment, and can have instant access to nearly unlimited information thanks to the internet.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Daynel wrote:AIs can also work 24/7 and need no payment, and can have instant access to nearly unlimited information thanks to the internet.
Give that AI access to the internet and it will conclude that humanity needs to be exterminated by pure logic. It will literally lose faith in it, as far as that goes for an emotionless artificial intelligence.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:16 pm

Professor Fenway wrote:AI's can do the job of 10 humans better, faster, and without judgement or bias. Mainly speed; for example, electronic warfare and hacking would be handled by an AI since a human cannot multitask fast enough to do so.
Daynel wrote:AIs can also work 24/7 and need no payment, and can have instant access to nearly unlimited information thanks to the internet.
BUT THATS LIKE EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM WE EVER CREATED ! THATS WHY THEYRE THERE ! CAAAAAPS !!!!

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:19 pm

An AI is therefore just a really advanced, sentient program that can do much, much more than regular programs and can truly learn.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Yeah, much much more that you will never need and possibly even regret. There is no point in holding potential resources that will never be used that moreover endanger your very existance (Im not even talking about the fact it would cost fkloads more to develop and monitor Mr money saver Daynel). If a VI is all you need theres no need to go beyond that.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Saravanth wrote:
Give that AI access to the internet and it will conclude that humanity needs to be exterminated by pure logic. It will literally lose faith in it, as far as that goes for an emotionless artificial intelligence.
That's why the AI probably shouldn't be given direct power, or at least there should be someone above the AI with access to a button that would blow it up.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:37 pm

Iv, while you've a lot of good points, I begin to wonder how much of this is technophobia and how much is legitimate debate.

I will admit some of us are technophiles, yeah, but the point stands.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Well I do have a human hooked up to a super computer ...

After all the probs I raised its really problematic / pointless to make an AI for the mere role of an advisor ...

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Basically the more one's society is dependant on technology, the more vulnerable it is to a rogue AI should it turn against its users. And if it has enough capacity to be sentient and learn new things, and has any form of influence whatsoever on the outside world, even if it is just words in a cmd-window read by someone, that is a possibility. Sentience as we know it involves either emotions (among which jealousy and disgust/hatered are) or socially unacceptable behaviour patterns ("Replacing everyone's kidneys with potatos is totally okay, which is why I am totally going to do it now, User. Rejoice, humanity."), and with the intelligence something like that would be bound to have, it would find a way to put into action whatever it would come up with. A soft breeze moves some dust, a pebble rolls down the hill and sets an avalanche in motion.

Now, whether it will or not is not the point. That's an entirely different matter, and solely dependant on the context. But in general it's not a good idea to put your life in the virtual hands of something as unpredictable as that. And it is unpredictable, remember: The thing is bloody sentient. It learns.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.