Bleep

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112
Bleep

Post by Solar112 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:41 am

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Re: Bleep

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:53 am

That's nice, I feel safe within my rights that my government is based off of so I don't really feel a need for this.

But hey, technology is technology no matter what your reasoning.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:55 am

Indeed.

Technology for the win.

Solar112
Captain
Captain

Post by Solar112 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:59 am

Yeah I was posting it because tech. I could care less about the gov't's spying.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:29 am

Obviously a CIA/MI6/NSA run espionage wiretap.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Solar112
Captain
Captain

Post by Solar112 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:34 am

[sarcasm]GFD aCH don't tell them![/sarcasm]

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:42 pm

1. Closed source and made by an American company. Assuming backdoors are present until otherwise proven.
2. I can't find any information on what cryptographic protocols are used, or how clients communicate with each other (assuming this is a peer-to-peer solution, which it probably is). Until I see a whitepaper or spec-sheet, I refuse to pass judgement on how strong it is, but will just assume it's weak.

How is this better than using PGP and XMPP over Tor/I2P/cjdns?

EDIT: Okay, there's a technical description on the site. It uses a Kademlia-based DHT, and public keys are stored on the company's servers (except for incognito users, which require manual disclosure of keys). Actual messaging and calling apparently uses encrypted SIP over UDP packets. However, it says nothing about the encryption methods used other than that it's asymmetric. This renders a portion of my second point (partially) moot, but there's still the issues of closed-sourced-ness and lack of info on the encryption algorithms.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Tau wrote:1. Closed source and made by an American company. Assuming backdoors are present until otherwise proven.
2. I can't find any information on what cryptographic protocols are used, or how clients communicate with each other (assuming this is a peer-to-peer solution, which it probably is). Until I see a whitepaper or spec-sheet, I refuse to pass judgement on how strong it is, but will just assume it's weak.

How is this better than using PGP and XMPP over Tor/I2P/cjdns?

EDIT: Okay, there's a technical description on the site. It uses a Kademlia-based DHT, and public keys are stored on the company's servers (except for incognito users, which require manual disclosure of keys). Actual messaging and calling apparently uses encrypted SIP over UDP packets. However, it says nothing about the encryption methods used other than that it's asymmetric. This renders a portion of my second point (partially) moot, but there's still the issues of closed-sourced-ness and lack of info on the encryption algorithms.
I like how there's a comment on that page almost exactly like this.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:23 pm

Should really just have a one time pad for top secret communications. Nobody can de-encrypt that shit.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:34 pm

ACH0225 wrote:Should really just have a one time pad for top secret communications. Nobody can de-encrypt that shit.
You know what the government can't spy on? A letter sealed with wax is pretty hard to look at undetected.

GASP mail!? What blasphemy is this?! Writing on paper?!

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Mail takes forever to get places. Digital is just faster.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Solar112
Captain
Captain

Post by Solar112 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:47 pm

Or you could go to the person with a piece of paper hand hand it to them. Then when they're done they burn it. Done.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:50 pm

If you were just going to do that, you (presumably) have perfectly functional vocal cords.

Solar112
Captain
Captain

Post by Solar112 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:05 pm

But people can still hear you.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Not if you lock yourselves into a windowless, soundproofed room that has no cameras or listening devices.