MOAR ANIME

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
MOAR ANIME

Post by cats » Mon May 26, 2014 11:33 pm

I've kind of been binging Netflix, youtube, and Animestatic for the past few months.

Ergo Proxy
Beautifully dark science fiction anime set in the dystopian future in which nearly all of humanity is confined in a dome city. The plot, if you can wrap your head around it, is surprisingly philosophical and filled with twists. It's rather slow-paced, but well worth the effort. One of the few downsides is that the characters lack depth in comparison to other anime like Sword Art Online.

Sword Art online
SAO taught me that you can't judge an anime by its pilot. Or its first six episodes. Even though SAO is one of the more "Japanese" shows I've watched, it stands out as one of the best. The characters and their relationships are well-developed, the concepts are interesting, and it's pretty action-y. Come for Japan, stay for the emotionalism. You'll really get attached to the characters and become invested in their relationships, even though you might not remember their names (there's main character, soul patch, pig tail dragon girl, black man, dead girl, sandwich...).

Cowboy Bebop
A wild western-in-space-style science fiction series featuring plenty of guns, fighting, space, and multidimensional characters. This was among the first of the anime I watched, and most definitely one of the best. A classic.

Samurai Champloo
If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you'll like Samurai Champloo. There's not any space, but that's replaced by plenty of swords and feudal Japan.

Attack on Titan

Katawa Shoujo
Okay, it's not anime, but i'll be damned if I didn't binge the hell out of it (at least 40 hours in a week). It's an emotional rollercoaster of emotions. Most classify it as a dating sim, but it's more of a choose-your-own-story book or semi-interactive webcomic in a digitized manga form. It takes 5-10 hours to finish any one of the 5 (10? 12? A lot) story lines, most of which can bring you to tears at least thrice. The idea started on 4chan, which is surprising for something so in-depth and emotional. It follows the story of Hisao Lastname, who is diagnosed with arrhythmia and sent to a school for the physically disabled. You can work out the rest on your own. *contains sex scenes*
You will need this:
Spoiler:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Re: MOAR ANIME

Post by Solar112 » Tue May 27, 2014 12:12 am

Okay, I have some suggestions for you:

Ao no Exorcist
Teenage demon ftw.

Death note
Teenage mass murderer ftw.

Free! Iwatobi swim club
Shirtless swimming ftw.

Fullmetal alchemist
*Something* FTW!

FMA: Brotherhood
Teens fighting some dude trying to make an apocalypse ftw.

Kuroshitsuji
Teenager that summoned a demon FTW!

Neon genesis evangelion
Mechs(Kinda) FTW

Ouran high school host club
Teenage high school comedy FTW

^I found these exceptionally entertaining. I did omit a few that I found slightly less entertaining though.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue May 27, 2014 12:36 am

I've watched FMA:B, or at least all that was on Netflix (it's missing a few), and Deathnote is on my to-watch list. I've just started Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Tue May 27, 2014 12:51 am

Cowboy bebop seems kinda cool, if only I could find it somewhere.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue May 27, 2014 1:07 am

I know animestatic.com has it English dubbed, and you can find some of it on YouTube.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:14 am

Angel Beats- Warning, may contain a lethal dose of feels
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue May 27, 2014 5:50 am

Naruto gets fun after a while.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:52 am

Saravanth wrote:Naruto gets fun after a while.
I'd watch it, but I don't have time for 200+ episodes, most of which are filler.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue May 27, 2014 5:53 am

Get a list with canon-episodes then and watch those?

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue May 27, 2014 9:44 am

I found Code Geass fairly good.

Although I will admit, I have trouble watching anime without pointing out breaks from reality, so I'm not the best judge.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue May 27, 2014 10:02 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:I found Code Geass fairly good.

Although I will admit, I have trouble watching anime without pointing out breaks from reality, so I'm not the best judge.
Ergo Proxy and CbBb arent meant to be realistic, but there aren't many noticible breaks from that reality. Don't watch SAO or you'll have an aneurism trying to figure out how sandwiches work.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue May 27, 2014 10:21 am

I was more wondering why nobody noticed people being stuck in a lethal VR game, but fair enough. Sandwiches, man.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:44 am

I took my time to actually explore the genre couse it has good stuff and interesting concepts to offer. In fact I actually spent my time looking at premises and eventually I think I got to a list that is a good representative of the different components of the genre.

Prob one of the more common and similar in nature genres in anime seems to be the slice-of-life / romance combo (Yea I don need yo slice-o-life, my slice-o-life is freaking army man ! hehe .) Among those I liked the nature of Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions.
Spoiler:
The story revolves around the phenomenon the japs call Chunibyo or "8th grader syndrome" where you run out dressed like a knight or demon lord or something yelling crazy things, the sort of things you prob don't wanna remember about your childhood, and a boy who tries to forget that part of his childhood. Too bad that part of his childhood comes back to him in a form of a Chunibyo "sick" neighbour who jumps down to his balcony one day after clearly overhearing all his 8th grader stuff. The story manages to use Chunibyo to put the characters into different funny situations but never tries to say this something dumb, in fact it tries to convey a message we are all weirdoes in some way and being weirdoes that way is not a prob. And then there is ofc the romance which actually contains a deepr subplot below the main lightly natured plot. Overall the best that genre will prob offer you.
Then there are the dark, action packed anime the likes of Claymore and Fate/Stay Night (also got Fate Zero which is a prequel to stay night but should be watched after it).
Spoiler:
Both anime are very action packed and have deep thought below the surface in the same time. Claymore discusses many philosophical issues within its boundaries , so does Fate but a little less in my opinion. In Fate the thought comes deeply from the strategic nature of the plot. Graphics-wise you are also in for prob one of the highest quality animations in the genre with fate.
And then there is Madoka Magica ...
Spoiler:
it is a thing I believe you should walk blindly into, reach the end of the 12th episode, some ppl get confused by WTH it is in the beginning but its hard to tell until you see it through.
This one I looked into when I tried to understand the Japanese theory of spinoffs. Well The later I never got as from my examination of this example apart from graphical similarities and Easter eggs they have nothing in common, and that fact actually tick the fans of those franchises even more. Either way lets talk about Mai-Otome.
Spoiler:
As stated earlier this is a spinoff of another anime called Mai-HiME but they really have nothing in common. What I liked about this one is it's setting, the universe is believable and has its own ups and downs. Overall the story remains rather simple during the first half as you watch how a girl named Arkia is trying to become a human jet plane (xD , jokes aside I found the otomes pretty much fill the role of jets in modern military, they are powerful warriors that are supposed to protect the leaders of the countries and fight their wars). Then ofc it all crashes in one moment and the story is finally ready to reveal it's concepts and philosophical thoughts.
After all that thinking I bet you need a dumb dose of simple yet entertaining stories, here I will pick a relatively fresh anime called Log Horizon and History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi.
Spoiler:
The first would seem as a simple SAO clone but in some areas I think it outdid the anime juggernaut because of it's approach to the online world. Instead of focusing on the combat and action this anime focuses on politics and strategy, it is one of the rare occasions when some tactics used by the characters I could call truly "clever" not because I was told they were such. Keep in mind though that its a bit rough on the edges but I believe the concept has high potential.
Spoiler:
As for History's poor disciple Kenichi it is a simple story about a bullied boy that wants to become stronger so he goes to a weird dojo with superhuman monsters teaching (or at least trying to teach) him how to fight. What I truly like about it that it does give you a good feel of how Kenichi improves over time, you get the same sense of accomplishment he does and you see his failures as he does. You are there for the ride along him basically and you are not required much more than that, its a good ride too I might add.
There are also plenty of stuff I failed to categorize as they prob contain a little bit of everything, for example Suisei no Gargantia.
Spoiler:
What happens if humanity manages to sink itself ? Apparently some people will escape to space, some however will remain on Earth, living on ships. And so one unfortunate pilot crashes his robot (yeah Japs fly on robots in space) into Earth and finds himself in one of those ships where he now needs to live among the humans of Earth. I think concept could be explored much further than the time this anime allocated to this concept, then it went into deeper philosophical grounds where it couldn't quite reach deep enough so it didn't quite catch both topics, but I considered it a good one nevertheless.
And another last fall anime Noragami.
Spoiler:
Here it is another join the ride anime though with more complicated concepts that give you a little dive at Japanese theology as you gonna follow around a minor god called Yato nobody really heard of. Eventually though the story didn’t focus on what I expected it came out well in the end. They should definitely make another season.
I will try to recall some more anime. In general I think I covered a lot of the cornerstones of the genre, I didn’t look into the standard juggernauts because well they are boring in the fact they are all too known :tongue:, attack on titan is known well beyond the anime world as it seems for example. As for SOA I think its overrated a bit.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:44 am

Angel Beats is superior to all of those. Angel Beats is best anime.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue May 27, 2014 12:12 pm

They are not even the same ganre as many of the ones I have on this list. Angel beats in its nature will prob be similar to Chunibyo & Other Delusions.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN