Ender's Game was a pretty bad movie

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
Ender's Game was a pretty bad movie

Post by  ҉  » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:56 pm

I will start off by saying that the CGI was awesome, and I think they did a good job on the visuals overall. The Formic fleet looked seriously badass. But they absolutely butchered the plot, and they left out a lot of things that were pretty important, and really changed the feel of the story. I think everyone here's familiar with Ender's Game, as it's a pretty well-known story, but for what it's worth, major spoilers are ahead.

They gave very little time to Ender's relationship with his family, even though that's a major point in the book. This is a story that's largely about Ender's psychology, and the importance of Peter and Valentine's influence on his childhood can scarcely be overstated. There are a couple of lines like "I'm becoming like Peter", and that's it. I think he gets one scene in the entire movie. On a similar note, they completely omitted the Locke and Demosthenes thing, and the entire political situation on Earth, including the Fleet War after the final battle. They mention the Strategos, but that's as close as they come to talking about that.

Ender was supposed to be one of the smallest, youngest kids in Battle School. They talk *a lot* about that in the book. In the movie, he's as tall as Mazer Rackham, and a foot taller than Bonzo Madrid. That makes the fight scene feel a little different. The big guy killing the little guy by knocking him down and letting his head hit a corner is not even remotely the same as the little guy killing the big guy by punching his nose into his brain. They're also careful not to say whether Bonzo actually dies, and they have Ender going to see him while he's comatose, while in the book he was shipped back to Earth without anyone but Ender being told he'd been killed.

Bean, Petra, Alai, and all the rest are much less important in the movie. Fly Molo is briefly mentioned but is not one of the five (down from twelve) who are with Ender in the final battle.

I've gotten this far and realized how many more things I could list and decided it's not worth it. There are pages more of these examples. Battle School didn't look like it was described in the book, which isn't a big deal for Ender's Game but seriously screws with parts of Ender's Shadow. Armies are 16 people rather than 40, and the scale of the school generally seems much smaller. In the book there was a mess hall just for the commanders, and in the movie there clearly aren't enough people to justify that. They go to a planet that was captured from the Formics instead of to Eros. The MD Device is a giant ship rather than a bomb every fighter carries. They say the Formics were communicating with Ender by planting images in the Mind Game, and don't even get me started on that. The visuals are the only even vaguely redeeming feature the movie has.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Re: Ender's Game was a pretty bad movie

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:12 pm

I disagree, even if it wasn't a great representation of the book, it was an enjoyable film. I haven't read the book, and went into the film without any clue what it would be like, I imagine you might enjoy it more if you viewed it separately to the book, rather than expecting it to completely adhere to its details. There is also a limit to how much of the family relationship stuff you can fit in the space of a 2 hour film.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:38 pm

For one thing, it was a lot of thoughts in the book rather than actions, which are hard to translate to a movie.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:55 pm

The movie was never going to be as good as the book, but the movie wasn't bad compared to other movies.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:44 pm

Still beats Oblivion.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:52 pm

So how bout that Eragon movie?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:09 pm

ACH0225 wrote:So how bout that Eragon movie?
Oh lord don't remind me.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:06 pm

CMA wrote:
Oh lord don't remind me.
Gods no. That remains the single worst book-to-movie adaptation I have ever experienced.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:11 pm

Eeugh. I wanted to stab a lot of things after I saw that movie.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Mistake Not... wrote:
CMA wrote:
Oh lord don't remind me.
Gods no. That remains the single worst book-to-movie adaptation I have ever experienced.
Did you see the Percy Jackson movie? I literally could not tell it was based on the book. Eragon is still second-worst, though.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:03 pm

CMA wrote:Did you see the Percy Jackson movie? I literally could not tell it was based on the book. Eragon is still second-worst, though.
Hrrr. I'd forgotten about that. Suppressed the memories, perhaps. That was also truly, truly awful. They didn't even really pretend to be following the plot.

Movie adaptations that were done well:
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Starship Troopers
(lost some stuff, but pretty good)
Watchmen
The recent Marvel stuff

And that's about it, as far as I'm aware (or at least can think of right now).

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:20 pm

Mistake Not... wrote:Movie adaptations that were done well:
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Starship Troopers
Watchmen
The recent Marvel stuff
Agreed. Far too agreed. So much agreed here, that we have too much agreement. Need some overflow vents for all this agree, and even then there'd be spills. Gonna need a whole sewer system for this agreement here. Though even with all that, we'd still be swimming in agrees. Even if we start destroying the agree, we won't be losing more than we're gaining and would surely drown. Therefore, I propose that we abandon Earth and let everything else die due to the unblocked agree floods. Earth would be covered in layers of agree in the hundreds of thousands of leagues. We'd have to build a grand starship, capable of propelling us to the tip of the Sagittarius arm and further if necessary, as the agree will continue to grow after it has consumed Earth, the torrent will move through the Sol system unmitigated and proceed on to Alpha Centaur, then Barnard's Star, until it has filled the Universe. We may never escape, but we may delay the inevitable.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:59 am

Vinyl wrote:
Mistake Not... wrote:Movie adaptations that were done well:
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Starship Troopers
Watchmen
The recent Marvel stuff
Agreed. Far too agreed. So much agreed here, that we have too much agreement. Need some overflow vents for all this agree, and even then there'd be spills. Gonna need a whole sewer system for this agreement here. Though even with all that, we'd still be swimming in agrees. Even if we start destroying the agree, we won't be losing more than we're gaining and would surely drown. Therefore, I propose that we abandon Earth and let everything else die due to the unblocked agree floods. Earth would be covered in layers of agree in the hundreds of thousands of leagues. We'd have to build a grand starship, capable of propelling us to the tip of the Sagittarius arm and further if necessary, as the agree will continue to grow after it has consumed Earth, the torrent will move through the Sol system unmitigated and proceed on to Alpha Centaur, then Barnard's Star, until it has filled the Universe. We may never escape, but we may delay the inevitable.
Yeah, I agree too.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:13 am

Mistake Not... wrote: Movie adaptations that were done well:
Starship Troopers
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
Spoiler:
NO
Other than that I agree, though. Although LOTR wasn't that good, they made it too light hearted, should have been more Wagnerian.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:10 am

Mistake Not... wrote: Movie adaptations that were done well:
Starship Troopers

What are you smoking? I mean they cut out the whole ultimate badasses in mech suits thing, literally missed the entire point of it.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler: