A plan.

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Re: A plan.

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:33 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Iv121 wrote:Well I told ya PS2 is too big for us for now at least event wise though if you do manage to gather up in the same time in the same place it wouldn't even matter if it is member-only or not, however something tells me in best case scenario you will gather about 4 ppl, maybe even 5 but for PS that’s again kinda small.

As for lol screw it too competitive , brings nothing but trouble ...
Number of people is pretty irrelevant in PS2 until you're talking about dozens of people. I've been playing by myself for a year and it's been fine. Four or five is a nice small squad. More than that and it gets harder to organize. Once you've got >~20 people you're probably a mindless zerg (some outfits actually organize an entire platoon, or even multiple platoons. Fighting these outfits is a complete waste of time, because they will roflstomp you even if you outnumber them four to one. Luckily, they're rare).
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:33 am

The prob is that there is a difference between organizing an event and playing random games together, for the later you don’t need a gaming community and you can proceed and disband this place ... and that was best case scenario.

Wanna argue with me here ? You're welcome, all you will achieve is what you achieved for the past year which is literally nothing, I told you a long time ago this place goes nowhere and that you need to think about creating a proper gaming community or doing something else to remain as one, you ignored me, now a year later you are here again with the same conclusion, Im trying to tell you how to pick this stuff up as someone who actually saw how its done from inside, you ignore me, what do you think will happen a year from now then ? That is assuming there will actually be here someone a year from now ...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:32 am

Okay, iv. Details. How would you turn FC into a gaming community that will hold together?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:59 am

First of all you need a game that is easy to start with, I gave you a big list in my post, you actually didn’t do much with it so make a poll with it and anything else you get in mind and get going. Make sure that you can revote and hold a discussion about the games so that ppl are aware of their pros and cons before they vote and try to eliminate games we should not use in the process. Got Qs ? No ? Get going.

Error

Post by Error » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:02 am

Point me to your post, and tone down the snarkiness.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Snarkiness ? Rly ? Where the hell did you find it ? You focus too much on catching me on stuff Error, will it be that plan thing (yes you really want to catch me on not having a plan we've been over this a few pages ago) or my tone , I'd say you shouldn’t bother too much because you won't be able to catch me on either. As I said above Qs ? No ? Then go, there is really not much to say beyond that until we pick a game, search this thread for some more lists, Im sure there were others.

Iv121 wrote:Well now as the social gaming topic is back on let's get over the basics for the fourth time I believe:

First of all the most basic requirement for a social gaming community is an actual game to work with. We all play diff stuff like MC for example but the later didn’t seem to cut it. Perhaps the easiest games to start with are more competitive ones, shooters are a good example, they can also help us start gaining members. Also I would prefer a game that even a small number of people can play as with the current member count I won't expect more than 4v4 matches. For such gaming communities it is also a good idea to play F2P games as everyone can easily get them and so you won't get scenarios where people cant join because they don’t have the cash.

Now that you have a game you would like to play you will need to actually play it. Some service like Xfire or evolve that Tiel suggested can be useful to keep track of who is playing right now and join them. Just like ppl hang out in the skype group ppl can also hang out in games together, its great and it helps to unite the community, however the big thing comes (or came where I used to hang out) on Sundays, where most members were logging into the game to play together simple matches or participate in community events or tournaments. That is the real premise of social gaming communities and why people join them, I would go as far to say that in our current state having those Sunday (or any other day) events and participating in them is almost mandatory. OFC I cant force you but without those nothing will happen and you will have to do your best to attend them.

First of all choose a game, some valid suggestions that might suit you are TF2, WoT, Tribes: Ascend, War Thunder, Blacklight: Retribution, AVA, Hawken, Mech Warrior Online,
When we grow a bit we can then move on to games like planetside 2, Arma 2 Free,
Perhaps I might even get a look on older crap like Combat Arms (that game got completely destroyed by premium weapons , it was actually a decent F2P game back at a time )

As for the mod LJS I hate to admit it but the facts are speaking against it, either the community changes or it ceases to exist, either way current FC won't be there, perhaps later it is possible in another form, but not in the current one. Also I doubt the FC lore or RPs are going anywhere ...

Error

Post by Error » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:53 pm

So, you're saying the same thing as everyone else (We need to find a decent game to play together) in a slightly different fashion.

Legitimate game suggestions, but how do we decide on 1 or 2 to actually play?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:14 pm

What people enjoy playing the most, and no be more accurate Error - everyone says what I’ve been saying for a long time now, this thing I also said a few posts ago, and as you should have read in my post it goes beyond mere "pick a game to play". You ppl mostly meant "hey figures we are playing the same game right now so lets play together" kind of thing which is all nice and cool but not enough, I planned to take it beyond that by organizing day when all ppl log in to play or at least as many of them as possible, an organized hanging out, that’s gonna be our way to get more ppl.

Apart from standard media work done in the community of the targeted game, the fact you see an organized group of ppl having fun together will surely raise some interest and perhaps even other ppl who would like to join this group, that is what social gaming is about, at some point I remember that we were more than 30 ppl online simultaneously on Sundays playing loads of diff games together and on a usual day there were always at least 8 ppl in the eves. It doesn't only sound as a lot of fun , it IS a lot of fun and that is why ppl join those groups.

Error

Post by Error » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:42 pm

You need not explain the mechanics of guild or clan recruitment, Iv, I know how it works.

And while it gets complex, the first thing is to decide what we play. I'm creating a poll for this, if you check back in 5 minutes or so.

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:02 pm

Iv121 wrote:Snarkiness ? Rly ? Where the hell did you find it ?
Iv, you often come across as extremely aggressive and dismissive of other's ideas. Try to be a bit more conscious of the way you speak(type?), please.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Error

Post by Error » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:02 pm

And peoplemwonder why I nominated CMA for mod. Thank you.

Also, poll created, for those who didn't see.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:19 am

In that post Error complained about there was nothing I could possibly dismiss, not a single idea that is not mnie simpy becaue he asked for my idea and I gave it to him ! So yes don't give me that crap and tell me the real reason why you try to catch me on stuff (well I guess I already know it ...)

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:50 am

Iv121 wrote:In that post Error complained about there was nothing I could possibly dismiss, not a single idea that is not mnie simpy becaue he asked for my idea and I gave it to him ! So yes don't give me that crap and tell me the real reason why you try to catch me on stuff (well I guess I already know it ...)
You're right, Iv. You've been right all along, about everything, and we've been too stupid to see it. We don't make fun of you because you're a complete asshole and we all despise you. We do it because we're jealous—jealous of your ideas, jealous of your coherency, jealous of your argumentative prowess. Please, forgive us, and help us work to become more like you. That's all we've ever wanted.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:31 am

Well LJS really among us both here tell me who's behaving like an asshole ? Well perhaps I might be a little jerkish in the last few posts because I really feel Im being blamed at stuff without basis, but in your last post you do behave like a true asshole ironically, thx for despising me (Be specific, it is you who despises me, if anyone else feels the same you are welcome to tell me but don't even dare to put in ppl's mouth words they perhaps don't want to say because really I doubt most ppl want to "despise" me as you wrote).

I might be an asshole but Im a right asshole, you know why Im right ? Because eventually you did exactly as I said, eventually its either that or pray to the gods of FC that this place doesn't fall apart, so instead of calling me a jerk/asshole/liar/whatever and arguing about what you already do just do it. If you really hate me soo much and can't do what I say without bickering consider this Tiel's idea and move on. Qs ? No ? Get going, there is still a lot of work to be done.