A plan.

Miscellaneous. No spam or advertisements, constructive discussion encouraged.
Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Re: A plan.

Post by Luna » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:23 am

ACH0225 wrote:Whatever changes, this is an owl forum. Perhaps we could form a Youtube channel and gain serfs that way?
NO NO GOD HECK NO. DON'T YOU DARE. THIS ISN'T AN OWL FORUM, THIS ISN’T A BRONY FORUM, THIS ISN’T EVEN A ROBOT FORUM. THIS IS A FORUM FOR PEOPLE, WEATHER THEY ARE HUMANS, GIANT OWLS, ROBOTS ETC…

But I think it wouldn’t be a horrible idea to have and FC Flans mod forum. At least make it a subforum along with those games that Iv talked about. As noobs come in and ask questions we will just make an FAQ. If they don’t consult the FAQ someone could kindly direct them towards it or if situation calls outright ban them for a period of time. The gaming forum sounds like a good idea. We should still appeal to Minecraft as well because you guys seem to have forgotten it is still a super popular game.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:50 am

Super saturated you mean, and ppl don’t hurry to join communities there, rather join server, leave a server, yes sure there are some server communities but starting up one in MC is too hard.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:55 am

Luna wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:Whatever changes, this is an owl forum. Perhaps we could form a Youtube channel and gain serfs that way?
NO NO GOD HECK NO. DON'T YOU DARE. THIS ISN'T AN OWL FORUM, THIS ISN’T A BRONY FORUM, THIS ISN’T EVEN A ROBOT FORUM. THIS IS A FORUM FOR PEOPLE, WEATHER THEY ARE HUMANS, GIANT OWLS, ROBOTS ETC…

But I think it wouldn’t be a horrible idea to have and FC Flans mod forum. At least make it a subforum along with those games that Iv talked about. As noobs come in and ask questions we will just make an FAQ. If they don’t consult the FAQ someone could kindly direct them towards it or if situation calls outright ban them for a period of time. The gaming forum sounds like a good idea. We should still appeal to Minecraft as well because you guys seem to have forgotten it is still a super popular game.
First of all, Owl is love, Owl is life. Second of all, we should stop advertising the mod completely, although leave a subforum up. Tiel was right the first time I think.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:58 am

CMA wrote:First of all, Owl is love
If you know anything about Owls you will know what Owls are not about love.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Don't try to force your socially-constructed definition of 'love' on to me, mmkay?

Where's that mpreg picture of Goku when you need it...
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm gone. bye. wrote:We all agree that 'WE' are dying. I've given up trying to care about this forum, and it's community. I'm able to contact the people I care about contacting through external means, and beyond that I no longer care. The forum has become boring, with no life and activity, we need something, as suggested before, a gaming community may be 'our' last hope of staying together. This is likely my last post. I trust the people I'm still in contact with to alert me if the community pulls through.

TAU GET YO SHIT TOGETHER OR GIVE MY THE ADMIN AND SYS ADMIN INFO AND I'LL DO IT!
Solar, I really feel you've been really dramatic, perhaps overly so, about your leaving. Not quite on Shiva level, but enough to kinda demean you saying "I AM LEAVE!" a bit in the same way.
Mistake Not... wrote:Futurecraft isn't impossible, it's just impossible for us. It would be a big deal for an actual game studio.
Not really. I don't want to cause any debate over something so trivial when there are bigger things to fry, but as I've pointed out in the past there are numerous independent projects seeking to create "minecraft in space." And that's all futurecraft is, really. It's not special. It's not unique. It's an Australian teenager's wet dream of flying spaceships in the game that revolutionized the industry, with maybe some conflicting input from people who came to share that idea as well. Those people, though, that community that sprung up around this simple concept...it's something on its own. We have dozens of stellar ship designs borne from years of anxious waiting. We have the most dramatic userbase on this side of the internet. We have owls fighting ponies in space, for crying out loud.

And that combination of ingenuity, innuendo, and incessant bickering is worth saving.

As far as Flan's is concerned, I'm really, really meh on that idea. I don't have anything against Proto or what he's accomplished, but a mod of a mod shouldn't be the fulcrum of what we do here.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Tiel, I agree, it shouldn't be the focus, and I will not allow it. It has only ever been an auxiliary component, and nothing more.

However so long as I have control over it we can use it as a tool. Should we ever want to set up some objective based gameplay with custom content in MC for filming or whatever it's useful. Otherwise it's only really for publicity.

Speaking of publicity, a youtube channel, if done right, could be very useful. Now if nobody here can run that, I think I could persuade Blurb to have a gander at the idea.

For games we can play, well there's minecraft, which has a ducking massive user base and we would be fools to ignore it. And any other one you can come up with we can all play (I suck at other games, so I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about there)

We had fantastic builders, if we could present a strong enough case they may come back and help, but not without reason.

If we are going to do anything we better fucking do it. We are too good as just going "yes great idea" then sitting on our asses and doing nothing to act upon it.

Step one: make a plan

Step two: carry out plan

Step three:??????

Step four: profit

We suck at step two.

Prove me wrong
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:40 pm

I really like the idea of a gaming community and the other idea that we could host a public server with flans on it. But first we need to vote on what were going to do and then STICK TO THAT PLAN! You want to know why the java group didn't work out? Its because we all got lazy and just stopped doing it. (Well most of us did) In my opinion this should have been a gaming community from the start. The thing that was holding us back was that a lot of us have bad computers, bad internet, and lack a good amount of money to spend on games. (and that we can't pick out a game)

Last week I spent the entire snow day setting up a server with flans and bukkit. I've got perms and most of the plugins set up, and my b-day is coming near so I'll be able to spend some money on hosting a server. Maybe if we get a large player base on it we can set up a buycraft account and the thing will pay itself.

Summery of Tell's Plan
1. Polish up the server
2. Set up better communication (Please no skype!)
3. Buy minecraft server from mc prohosting (Or another)
4. Advertize as the official futurecraft server (Awesome video?)
5. Don't become * admins
6. Set up Buycraft
7. ??????
8. Profit

Remember this is just a rough plan. We can always change some stuff.

Edit: Sorry if the first part sounds like protos post above, I didn't read it.
Edit: We could also make all the mods into a custom made pack and have users import it into the tekkit launcher for easy install and use.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:04 pm

Server wont cut it that I can tell you already, we've simply been there already. Its true MC has a great player base but it has a stupidly high server ratio per player, meaning this area is too saturated. I agree MC is a good platform for games and with us having Flan's MC its only natural to go there, but not now, its NOT the game to start the community from just like planetside although a great game is bad for starting a new community. Games such as those shooters for example are a great places to gather people and other kinds of games such as WoT for example most of the time see only competitive gameplay so a social gaming group there is a rare commodity increasing our chances to gain more members that see in a game something beyond a leader board.

What I don't want us to become BTW is a competitive gaming community where people are together only because they are good and they try to win something, that’s a bad motivation to keep a community together.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:21 pm

The step you're all missing is "Make catsonmeth a moderator and give him a special shiny colored name." Then they will come. You underwear gnomes suck at planning things. I think the Flan's pack is the best bet for attracting new members at the moment, but only if we clean up stuff like the OP on the MCF. if we can get another modeler to help Proto or a more organized system for discussion, maybe a few designated committees, we can get a really good thing going. As long as we get the little things out of the way (post on the MCF), we'll probably see at least a bit of improvement in membership.

Seriously who can take care of the MCF post?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:26 pm

The thing is, any guy can have a gaming community with his friends from IRL. You can't market gaming community. You can, however, market Flans server, because there aren't many of those.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:29 pm

New members from Flans ? See man ppl stay in the community for a reason, how many ppl do you think will stay here to see Flan's mod developing ? Especially considering its a mere 1 thread (even if you make a whole forum for it and break it into 1000 pieces it will still be a content of one thread), that’s just not happening. There are no shortcuts and no "Well sit here and someone's gonna do all the job for us" stuff, Proto can make the pack Frost can make the mod but ultimately that kind of thing won't attract new ppl for long and before long you will find yourself at the same place again.

Also you can market a gaming community, you just invite ppl to join, believe me over time you will get members, its not an easy process but there are no easy roads here. As for Flan's server you can market it but it won't mean you will get community members as a result.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:55 pm

The flan's server is probably a fairly good bet for new members, but that's hardly a long term solution. The novelty will wear off eventually.

And do you have a solution or idea, Iv, beyond the very nebulous "gaming community"?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:21 pm

Not really nebulous, I can tell you a step-by-step plan down to what you need to do that freaking day that freaking hour and I am serious about it, I told you the steps in detail 3 times already, the fourth is on the first page in this thread, familiarize yourself with it (I only detailed the first and most obvious step though - pick a game, without it there is no point going any further)

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 pm

How about you list it for us, because honesty, I don't see any steps in those places.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler: