N.S.C.D. industrial/military production

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Rhomidean
IGN:cptsporatic
Re: N.S.C.D. industrial/military production

Post by CaptainSporatic » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:32 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:They both look good for reasons I can't explain, and bad for reasons I can't explain.
I agree, I like the mech, but something is off about it.
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:37 am

CaptainSporatic wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:They both look good for reasons I can't explain, and bad for reasons I can't explain.
I agree, I like the mech, but something is off about it.
I've thought that too, I hoped by posting it here someone would point out the problem,

I think it's what block says, the stairs don't work, that and I designed the mech using the styling I use for ships.

I think if I tweak the textures I can make it work though, I think it's just the sharp contrast between the iron and the stone.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:13 pm

The main reason is that it's too small for any detail. Fine tuning of the size of the arms, legs, and torso bit is impossible, so it'll look disproportionate.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:15 pm

I wasn't just talking about his mechs, I was talking about his ships as well. I think it's the bold geometric shapes, they remind me of my past. Which generally isn't a good thing.
This is a signature.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:11 am

Ok, I said I'd do this, so I will.

Ladies and mentlegen I present the first version of the blueprints of the Archetype Dreadnought, which will take over from the Tormentor as my flagship.

This is the design so far:

The numbers represent the height level of each unit relative to the rest of the ship (main body being 1)

Areas marked with C are carrier areas, for which I will use a modified version of the carrier deck I used on the Vivisector.
Areas marked with E are engines.
Areas marked with P are NDC Planet Buster cannons, which I am already using on the Tormentor.
The X is there because I don't know how long it will be

I will be using modified parts from my previous ships, and I will be filling the carrier sections with A-144 Phalanx models, and any other model I make.

I don't know how big this will be, but I am aiming for something bigger than the tormentor, even if it isn't as long.

This time I'm trying to do something off a pre-made design (like I did with the Vivisector) and not just built as I go along (like everything apart from the Vivisector)

My estimate at building time: 2-4 months
My estimated sanity upon completion: -1
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:21 pm

As per tradition with my ships, heres a picture of the rear thuster array (this is the lower array)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:46 pm

(O_O)
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Nice work, how tall is it?

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Laserbilly wrote:Nice work, how tall is it?
No idea, I'll measure height when I stick the upper array on, and when I've attached the rear body, but at a guess I'd say its only 20 blocks tall, but once I lift this up, I'll add an extra section on the bottom with defence cannons and stuff.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Prototype wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:Nice work, how tall is it?
No idea, I'll measure height when I stick the upper array on, and when I've attached the rear body, but at a guess I'd say its only 20 blocks tall, but once I lift this up, I'll add an extra section on the bottom with defence cannons and stuff.
Don't you think that's a little thin for a ship that's going to end up being 1000-2000 meters long? I think it should at least be 50-90 meters tall. I think the overall shape looks good, I just think it should be thicker on its shortest measurement (height); and your sketch of it looks really alien and cool!

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:17 pm

It's going to be a lot taller, the rear thrusters are thin because I am going to mount one above the main body and one below, with spacing a between each array and the main body.

Also if you look at the sketch, the highest point should be about 100-150blocks above the base level (labelled 1 in the sketch), the final height should be 120-170 blocks, and the width of this thruster is 200, and the widest point of the ship should be roughly 500, so the final thing should be of decent proportions, or at least it will be better proportioned than the Tormentor.

Also if needs be, I could quite easily widen the thrusters. Or any other part for that matter.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:08 am

ok, mirrored the thruster array and put in the back part of the main body:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:19 am

Prototype wrote:ok, mirrored the thruster array and put in the back part of the main body
Spoiler:
Wow, that looks epic! I really like the angular shape of the exaust nozzles :)

Ra1der Dr1verz
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:U.A.R.C.
IGN:Ep1cDr1verz

Post by Ra1der Dr1verz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:19 am

I don't know why, but when I look at the design picture, I think of a Lamborghini Aventador... hmm, I need to stop playing Forza Horizon.
Fr0stbyte: We can't place minecart tracks on the ceiling. That would look ridiculous.

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:01 am

Awesome! That looks a lot better, but I think maybe you should move the central connecter part a bit further aft, or else it might look a bit like a whale tail (unless that's what you're going for).