Terran Trade Confederation

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan
Re: Terran Trade Confederation

Post by MrTargareyan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:10 am

God I love alien :D The Nostromo cargo hold thing it was towing was pretty hideous though, the actual Nostromo wasn't that ugly, but the monstrosity it was towing....it defies words. Come to think of it, has anyone built the Sulaco? :) I may have to give that a go, but with a bigger engine section; it looked a bit puny. Is it sad that I have an obsession with Alien, Aliens and Prometheus (to a lesser extent) and am 13 xD Never really liked the star wars movies that much though :( For some reason the bad guys didn't seem corrupt enough, and the good guys seemed too pointlessly honourable; but that may be my personal taste. //something vaguely topic related// Although Mackeroths ships are very pretty and sophisticated looking, the I.C.C.S.S; although beautiful, looked somehow slightly hollow and brittle, though while Lasers ships look like they are built to kill everything in the universe with economical means; I guess its just 2 different styles of building. In my opinion laser and mack are both by far the best at what they do, but they do very different things.

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:22 pm

I'm pretty close to finishing my ship!

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:42 am

Laserbilly wrote:I'm pretty close to finishing my ship!

Looks nice, but where is the deadnought?

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:26 am

Laserbilly wrote:The reason is obvious: while the ISD used greebling to underline and bring out it's overall iconic shape, the Nostromo used greebling to define it's shape and ultimately ended up looking shapeless and unmemorable.
It may also have to do with ImpStars being seen frequently from outside throughout the Star Wars series, while the vast majority of Alien happened inside the Nostromo. It has a lot less screen time.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Too small to be a dread, it's probably a battleship
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:51 pm

He was talking about the dread he was building before I guess.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by blockman42 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Iv121 wrote:He was talking about the dread he was building before I guess.
Yup, that ship is far too small to be dread

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:00 am

This is not a dreadnaught, it's a light cruiser. It's going to end up around 320 meters long.

I'm really excited about it though, because I'm trying some new construction techniques that, I think, have really improved the project. One of these is that I took the entire bottom half of the ship, copy, flipped, and pasted it next to the top half so I could work on that section in the light. This allowed me to really give it the detail it needed!
Spoiler:
Also, since this ship has a lot of similarities to the Protector class dreadnaught (the vertical thruster block and the two bows are almost identical) working on the Protector helped me build this project much quicker, and now I think I know how to finish the Protector project! I'm very excited about this.

P.S. Look at how the light cruiser's main weapon turned out!

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:31 am

It looks incredible, you've really outdone yourself.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:46 am

Laserbilly wrote:I'm really excited about it though, because I'm trying some new construction techniques that, I think, have really improved the project. One of these is that I took the entire bottom half of the ship, copy, flipped, and pasted it next to the top half so I could work on that section in the light. This allowed me to really give it the detail it needed!
Single Player Commands, t/light. Done.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:49 am

Hrrr. He means work on it as if it were the top part of the ship, instead of neglecting it as the bottom since it's harder to add detail from that perspective.

Good work, by the way. Definitely the best ship I've seen come from this community.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:49 pm

I still can't make my mind about the best ship out here, there's quite a large pool to choose from, that one is definitely good.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:38 pm

I did the whole turning upside down to work on the underside thing for the I.C.E.S.S.
It interests me that you can make ships that are far less detailed than mine, yet they still look just as good. I have no idea how it's done.
This is a signature.

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by blockman42 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:I did the whole turning upside down to work on the underside thing for the I.C.E.S.S.
It interests me that you can make ships that are far less detailed than mine, yet they still look just as good. I have no idea how it's done.
because his detailing looks good and they aren't a bunch of blocks and slabs they try to make the ship look textured.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:03 am

Well they are :tongue: , the magic is not in it is in the good judgment of when to add it, how to add it and how many, and more importantly on what.