The Laruthian Fleet

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Rhomidean
IGN:cptsporatic
Re: The Cavnin Fleet

Post by CaptainSporatic » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:33 pm

CatsVsNinjas wrote:
Tunnelthunder wrote: Well, most come across under detailed like the first drone or seem kinda ridiculous, like the Pinace as it seems over armed for its size. In addition, you have categories for things you don't have which always bothers me. You also lack central focus in your designs which makes them look busy. They also look really basic.
This is why I don't do reviews.
Well that sounds like a personal problem

ok let me respond properly

1st
well can't do much about that, its a drone, its made to be small
2nd
I just plain don't agree, nothing more
3rd
thats your problem
4th
i'm not quite sure what you mean by the first part but i do agree the lion needs a little cleaning up
5th
well can't do much about that
6th
thats ok, everyones opinion matters
I'd hate to gang up on you, but I have to agree with Tunnel here. Some of this stuff is really basic in design and lacking in some areas.
I have some suggestions which may help:

1. Work less with the diagonal block shape in the front and hull of your ships, I'd say try working with arches or elongated arches, maybe even elongated triangles, then funnel that shape into a point if you want to keep the pointed front on some of your ships.

2. Try using partial blocks, such as stairs and slabs, to accentuate designs, such as having the front curve off into a stair with a slab for a more pointed and defined edge, rather than a block. Also try to incorporate stairs and slabs into the main ship to make it seem less blocky, and instead make it slope upwards at a gentile angle.

3. Use different types of blocks to experiment. Fences and fence gates can be used at gun barrels, instead of diamond blocks. Glass panes can look like a see-through laser. Fences and Cobble walls on top of blocks give a missile-like feel due to the slow tapering to a point. Anvils can look like good guard rails when put together. Cauldrons filled with water with a fence on top and a leaf on top of that look like shrubberies. Etc etc. Try experimenting with different blocks and see what looks best on your ship.

4. Instead of going with flat surfaces on the bottoms of your ships, try to have a gentle curve to prevent it from looking like a boring floor. Inside, you can fill it in to be a flat floor and no one will be the wiser, but on the outside, it will look better.

These are just helpful suggestions/tips which might help improve your ships, you can ignore them if you want but it's your choice.
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:01 pm

@ CaptianSporatic (I would have used quote but then it would just be a big mess of replies)

1. Not so sure about that, but i'll think about it.

2. That requires a bit more of a careful eye and some plain design expertise/practice

3. I agree but the i mostly havent done that because cobble, wood, stone, etc don't generally look good on my ships. And i know i could fix that with a simple texture pack or a modification of the default, but i'd rather not.

4. That may look awkward on some ships but i will try to do something to the underbelly of my ships

I would like to thank everyone who gave input on the ships, esp. CaptainSporatic for giving me som pro tips.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:42 pm

...Why do 2/3 of the spoiler categories say N/A? If you don't have any of those types (or indeed any ground vehicles whatsoever), why did you make tabs for them?
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:...Why do 2/3 of the spoiler categories say N/A? If you don't have any of those types (or indeed any ground vehicles whatsoever), why did you make tabs for them?
Partially to be a troll and mostly so i don't have to do it later
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Post by Avenger_7 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:40 am

No offence, but your designs are incredibly basic. It's not a BAD thing - it just means you need to find a style that works for you. Everyone has ships look like that; there's no need to get offended by the criticism. [url=http://futurecraft.forumotion.com/t519-avenger-s-shipyard]Just look up MY first ships on the old forum[/url]...And have you ever seen [url=http://futurecraft.forumotion.com/t458-strigiforme-industrialupdated]ACH0225'S ships[/url]?!?!?

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: The Cavnin Fleet(New Stuff YAY)

Post by Luna » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 pm

The Title Says It All.
Warning I don't currently have pictures for the Lion Corvette
"The Sky is the Limit"

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:28 am

Nice work on the light cruiser! I like how you saw the design that most of rest of us shipbuilders were going with and just ran in a completely opposite direction, vertical! Nice concept.

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 am

Laserbilly wrote:Nice work on the light cruiser! I like how you saw the design that most of rest of us shipbuilders were going with and just ran in a completely opposite direction, vertical! Nice concept.
That ship was actually built early last year. but yeah I went for the whole vertical concept and i think it worked out
"The Sky is the Limit"

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Post by CommanderKobialka » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:30 pm

hm... lets see here. cruisers? what could be in here? *click* SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:08 pm

CommanderKobialka wrote:hm... lets see here. cruisers? what could be in here? *click* SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!
Based on your other comments towards me and my ship building, I assume you say that because it doesn't look good to you

And on another note, if anyone can Identify the ship that the Leopard was based off of, you will get a prize
"The Sky is the Limit"

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:57 am

This ship?

This is a signature.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:54 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:This ship?
That's the ship from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:05 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:This ship?
Spoiler:
sorry no, try again. and i don't think that ship moves in the same way
and i'll give you guys a hint.
The ship is in a game.

Edit: Because no one has answered correctly or incorrectly the prize offer is no longer available. The answer is in the spoiler
Spoiler:
It is Based off of the Catalyst from Eve Online, it is a destroyer for the gallente federation
"The Sky is the Limit"

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: The Cavnin Fleet (New Stuff YAY)

Post by Luna » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Many A New Things
"The Sky is the Limit"

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Re: The Cavnin Fleet (New Stuff YAY)

Post by Laserbilly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Nice, you've been busy!