Iv's ship designs

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225
Re: Iv's ship designs

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:31 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
Daynel wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote: I think the ammount od bronies hating owls is limited to the bronies on this forum, which means it only applies to bronies who know owls which hate bronies because their brony teachers give them to many exams. Also IDK why we are writing in smalltext, you started it.
So in other words, the bronies of this forum has ACH as their teacher?
Either that or your theory is wrong and it only effects owls.
Actually, if you think of it, in our universe there are no owl teachers, therefore it can't work that way.
That's what you think. Maybe our servant thrall humans teach you to become more servant thrall humans.

Also Iv you should build a tactical bomber carrier.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:16 am

So do I start handing out warnings or will you lot stay on topic?

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:29 am

Why won't you start with cleaning up the thread a bit, I loose track of on-topic stuff in this mess such as proto's post. Yes the main hull shape is a sphere generated by MCEdit and it clearly annoys you or otherwise you wouldn't bother to note that, what exactly does bother you in the fact it was generated ?
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:54 am

Iv121 wrote:Why won't you start with cleaning up the thread a bit, I loose track of on-topic stuff in this mess such as proto's post. Yes the main hull shape is a sphere generated by MCEdit and it clearly annoys you or otherwise you wouldn't bother to note that, what exactly does bother you in the fact it was generated ?
Doesn't bother me, was just interested. IMO it takes away the impressiveness of a large ship, like binvoxing, but its difficult to turn a simple shape into something decent, though those black things sticking out the back should be thicker, just doesn't look quite right.

Also don't complain about mess you made.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:24 pm

Well tell me, does it make your giant bots less impressive if you use generated cubes for it ? You can say that it doesn't count because that’s just how you make meshes, you work for hours putting generated cubes together to make something that resembles a robot as an end product, in other words modelling, but wait isn't that what you do with binvox ? Make a model, work on it just like you do, then merely transfer it from .obj to .schematic file ? And what if those pre-generated shapes are not made in maya or blender, but in MCEdit ? It is true I work harder on the shape itself than the details, I like the kind of smooth feeling to a ship rather than an industrial one with pipes popping out of all possible locations (which makes armor plating totally useless BTW if all the guts of the ship are outside of it ...), you could also say I don’t have the patience to sit and add those tinny bits and pieces, that is my personal flaw when it comes to ship designing.

Also if I wont complain it takes the point out of me posting that in the first place ;) .

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:33 pm

Iv121 wrote:Well tell me, does it make your giant bots less impressive if you use generated cubes for it ? You can say that it doesn't count because that’s just how you make meshes, you work for hours putting generated cubes together to make something that resembles a robot as an end product, in other words modelling, but wait isn't that what you do with binvox ? Make a model, work on it just like you do, then merely transfer it from .obj to .schematic file ? And what if those pre-generated shapes are not made in maya or blender, but in MCEdit ? It is true I work harder on the shape itself than the details, I like the kind of smooth feeling to a ship rather than an industrial one with pipes popping out of all possible locations (which makes armor plating totally useless BTW if all the guts of the ship are outside of it ...), you could also say I don’t have the patience to sit and add those tinny bits and pieces, that is my personal flaw when it comes to ship designing.

Also if I wont complain it takes the point out of me posting that in the first place ;) .
Trust me, maya/blender is orders of magnitudes easier to make stuff with than Techne/notepad. But I see what you are getting at. However I will always hold hand made stuff in higher regard just because to the effort and determination required to do it.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:58 pm

Hey IV, the new Liberty looks great!

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:42 am

thx mate :) .

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:50 am

Prototype wrote:
Iv121 wrote:Well tell me, does it make your giant bots less impressive if you use generated cubes for it ? You can say that it doesn't count because that’s just how you make meshes, you work for hours putting generated cubes together to make something that resembles a robot as an end product, in other words modelling, but wait isn't that what you do with binvox ? Make a model, work on it just like you do, then merely transfer it from .obj to .schematic file ? And what if those pre-generated shapes are not made in maya or blender, but in MCEdit ? It is true I work harder on the shape itself than the details, I like the kind of smooth feeling to a ship rather than an industrial one with pipes popping out of all possible locations (which makes armor plating totally useless BTW if all the guts of the ship are outside of it ...), you could also say I don’t have the patience to sit and add those tinny bits and pieces, that is my personal flaw when it comes to ship designing.

Trust me, maya/blender is orders of magnitudes easier to make stuff with than Techne/notepad. But I see what you are getting at. However I will always hold hand made stuff in higher regard just because to the effort and determination required to do it.
I disagree. From personal experience it's a lot easier to move boxes around than abide by closed geometry rules and the like.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:54 am

Tiel wrote:
Prototype wrote:

I disagree. From personal experience it's a lot easier to move boxes around than abide by closed geometry rules and the like.
I'm afraid our experiences here differ, but I guess you know more about that side than I do. Moving boxes around is easier, but making something decent out of that isn't as easy. But I guess that goes for Blender and Maya.

Thy said, it gets sodding difficult to make anything above a certain level of detail, not to mention time consuming inefficient and cumbersome, I'd swap it out for Blender any day.

But I will say Blender is more difficult to learn, but once you do get used to it it's a lot more versatile.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:51 am

*sigh*
Stay on topic, last chance bevore I start handing out warnings to this thread.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 pm

You hand out warnings to threads ?

Error

Post by Error » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Everyone off-topic'ing in the thread.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:07 pm

So you plan to lock it ? Couse you know I have to post my ships somewhere and I refuse to post them in any other topic.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:23 pm

Making anything look photorealistic takes a lot of doing with how Minecraft handles things, perhaps moreso than an equivalent in a 3d productivity software...however, there's also a much higher ceiling of what level of detail is viable, and that's where the heightened difficulty lies. It all depends on the modeller and how much they're putting into it, really. You've absolutely redefined what many of us thought was even possible with the tools available.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]