Edit tools

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: Edit tools

Post by Iv121 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:13 am

MCedit has something for this, plus there is nothing bad in sticking CIRCLES (I think that's what you meant). Finally try to avoid just sticking shapes together, it doesn't look too good (like your recent builds, sry but it has to be done). The fulgur is a good example of what you SHOULDN'T do - Too much empty, plain and boring white space while the green-red stuff on it doesn't fit the palette at all . The shapes look like they were just glued together which doesn't look good.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:52 am

Single Player Commands. WorldEdit is a part of SPC and has a command for cylinders and another for stacking. It's what I use, and there's very little it can't do. SPC itself got neutered after the 1.3 update, but the WorldEdit functionality is unchanged.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:04 am

Actually, in MCedit, you can exponentially grow your cylinders by placing one on top of another, highlighting the two, copying them, then pasting those two on top of the first two. Then repeat the process until you have a stack of either 32 or 64, then just place those until you're happy with the length.

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 am

craftqq wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:Actually, in MCedit, you can exponentially grow your cylinders by placing one on top of another, highlighting the two, copying them, then pasting those two on top of the first two. Then repeat the process until you have a stack of either 32 or 64, then just place those until you're happy with the length.
:s Where is the cylinder option? I can't see it.
There's no cylinder option, you have to use the brush option make a sphere that has one of its dimensions equaling one; so when you place it, it's a circle.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:41 am

In MCedit you can specify how many times you want to copy something (up to 50 times). Because it takes a bit longer to do I suggest first duping it around 20 times then dup the new shape as much as you want.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 am

craftqq wrote:
Last_Jedi_St&#x90;anding wrote:Single Player Commands. WorldEdit is a part of SPC and has a command for cylinders and another for stacking. It's what I use, and there's very little it can't do. SPC itself got neutered after the 1.3 update, but the WorldEdit functionality is unchanged.
Can you tell me then how I get horizontal cylinders?
//cylinder and //cyl can only do vertical ones.
Make a vertical cylinder and rotate it. I can't remember which command rotates stuff in the vertical plane, but one of them does.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:10 am

Iv121 wrote:In MCedit you can specify how many times you want to copy something (up to 50 times). Because it takes a bit longer to do I suggest first duping it around 20 times then dup the new shape as much as you want.
I didn't realize that, thanks for the tip!

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:21 am

Anyone who primartly uses editing programs to build their ships is doomed to fail. By cloning parts, they do speed up the process, but I know form experience, if you build the basic ship using MCedit's easy fill/brush commands, you will abandon all detailing and will end up with a sub-standard product.

Just a friendly work of caution.
This is a signature.

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:27 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:Anyone who primartly uses editing programs to build their ships is doomed to fail. By cloning parts, they do speed up the process, but I know form experience, if you build the basic ship using MCedit's easy fill/brush commands, you will abandon all detailing and will end up with a sub-standard product.

Just a friendly work of caution.
That's not really completely accurate. I've built all my ships using both MCedit and Minecraft. And you can see how my ships started out the way they did and have become gradually better with each ship. It's not the tools that you use, it's how you use them.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 am

Good point.
MCedit and/or WorldEdit are useful for filling out large sections that would be totally flat either way or if you need a perfect round shape which is almost impossible to do in Minecraft.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied