Exercitus veteris tellure - Armies of the old earth

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
LabJac
Recruit
Recruit
Affiliation:Conservative
IGN:LabJac
Re: Exercitus veteris tellure - Armies of the old earth

Post by LabJac » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:09 pm

I have started greebling the frigate. Don't think I will do the bomber, as its quite small so the blank surfaces aren't too big
Spoiler:
Does this image deserve to exist?

LabJac
Recruit
Recruit

Post by LabJac » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm trying to use materials that i think may be roughly the same colour as ones in the mod - e.g. grays, silvers - as then I will have a rough idea of what it will look like. I'm also leaving the interior empty until the mod is released and i know the scale of everything - I don't want to build ship around an ion cannon then find out that the actual thing is 10x the size

Edit:What I'm essentially trying to do is leave the ship open to adaptation

Edit 2: Did the //count, amount of stone comes at around 13000. Considering I run minecraft on 10gb of ram, the situation could be worse. However the interior could potentially double the amount.
Last edited by LabJac on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:47 pm

Don't worry about it and build as you wish, build beauty , even out of wool (Flint & steel guns FTW !)
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

LabJac
Recruit
Recruit

Post by LabJac » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:31 pm

To answer the 'How will you get those blocks in survival' question, I really don't know, unless I use a mod like EE. The problem being that admins on some servers will just go in creative and spawn things with worldedit, giving them a MASSIVE advantage over those in survival. The way I see it, the best ships will have to be determined by effort put into building it and how well built it is - because so many people will just cheat them in. I personally plan on operating from a port forwarded server run by a few friends of mine - unless there is some kind of whitelist of which servers can be traveled to/from - although that would be unfair on people who just wish to have small scale battles between two LAN or Hamachi servers. I really cannot see many people/groups putting in the effort to build a high quality dreadnaught in survival.
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:35 pm

People can't cheat in , even mods don't have such powers (because all servers will be linked into a giant net and support many players). Don't worry again, you will have a lot of materials available when the mod is out, and the ships will need a redesign anyway because you will need add so many systems, engines, cables , storages and weapons. And why should you care about that time when the mod comes out, you do not build for this ...

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:48 pm

mja2106 wrote:To answer the 'How will you get those blocks in survival' question, I really don't know, unless I use a mod like EE. The problem being that admins on some servers will just go in creative and spawn things with worldedit, giving them a MASSIVE advantage over those in survival.
No they won't, and you won't use EE. Don't think about FC the same way you would Minecraft. It's a different game, in practicality if not in name.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO

Post by Crash Override » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Nice ships!

Darn it,started better than i...

anyway,good job!
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Hey, it looks like your being bashed with comments. I had the same deal when I started, If you wan't really good advice, ask our friend Laserbilly. There are other ship builders out their that are as good or better but he is the one i go to for advice. But keep in mind while your looking at all these comments, people may not like what you build or how you build it. but never let anyone turn you away from your design style.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

LabJac
Recruit
Recruit

Post by LabJac » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:18 am

About the not being able to cheat things in thing, does this mean that the only servers that can use it will be hosted by futurecraft, or that ops will no longer be able to spawn things in on their own servers?

Edit: Ok, I get that you wouldn't want people cheating in on a large amount of public servers, but will it be possible for us to make our own server 'universes' with just a few small servers, because sometimes I'd just wanna have a big battle for the hell of it.
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:07 am

People want to do it - it will be great actually but that would mean the main server's population will be quite low (compared to it's size) so at least for the beginning I believe it's better to have one central server network. See in order to have fun you need to actually meet people on your travels. The more thing you want to add to the universe the more people you need to have to fill that space. In other words more people on the main server = more futures.

LabJac
Recruit
Recruit

Post by LabJac » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:11 am

Will there be some kind of auto construction module/machine or something that costs a lot of resources, because you've got to take into account that ships like this in real life would either be made by machines, or by 100's of people working all day for a long time. Obviously you would still have to gather the resources to build it with though

Edit: Just read the shipyard thing in development section. Seems like a very good idea. Would we be able to use the designs we built on singleplayer though?
Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:31 am

mja2106 wrote:Will there be some kind of auto construction module/machine or something that costs a lot of resources, because you've got to take into account that ships like this in real life would either be made by machines, or by 100's of people working all day for a long time. Obviously you would still have to gather the resources to build it with though

Edit: Just read the shipyard thing in development section. Seems like a very good idea. Would we be able to use the designs we built on singleplayer though?
Potentially, but they wouldn't be very useful, however you can use these ships as practice
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Hey, welcome to the forum! Your ships look pretty good!

LabJac
Recruit
Recruit

Post by LabJac » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 am

Laserbilly wrote:Hey, welcome to the forum! Your ships look pretty good!
Thanks!

I think yours are pretty amazing, especially the cruiser
Spoiler:

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:47 am

mja2106 wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:Hey, welcome to the forum! Your ships look pretty good!
Thanks!

I think yours are pretty amazing, especially the cruiser
Thank you, I like the new details you added to your ship.