Wings of The Schmetterling

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42
Re: Wings of The Schmetterling

Post by blockman42 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 pm

It looks nice, but a bit plain and cartoony.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:01 am

i think it looks great

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:55 am

Lemme guess: The solar panel-like looking thing is a multi-spectral photon absorber?
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:Lemme guess: The solar panel-like looking thing is a multi-spectral photon absorber?
Why are the two solar panels facing each other, shouldn't they be facing outwards towards the sun?

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 pm

He said they aren´t solar panels.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:09 am

I added a lot more detail to Icarus, it now passes my good-looks-and-charm test:
Spoiler:
Also, I did the roof section for the turret-part of the I.C.E.S.S. It took me about 5 hours. What's scary is that the ship will end up being 12x this length. It's too big to screenshot, and I don't like Eihort, so I'll begin rendering my progress in Chunky from now on (unless it's only a small update):
Spoiler:
And here's a random picture of something else I built today:
Spoiler:
This is a signature.

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:20 am

I liked the Icarus before and the detailing that you added just made it look that much better.

As for the Iccuss, while it still is just a giant box (I'm not against that, seeing that the Reckoning class is also just a big flying box), it's a really good looking giant box. Also, just a suggestion, it might go better if you use that segment to make a space station, rather than a big ship. Just a thought.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:35 am

Laserbilly wrote:I liked the Icarus before and the detailing that you added just made it look that much better.

As for the Iccuss, while it still is just a giant box (I'm not against that, seeing that the Reckoning class is also just a big flying box), it's a really good looking giant box. Also, just a suggestion, it might go better if you use that segment to make a space station, rather than a big ship. Just a thought.
Thanks for the praise, it makes me feel like what I'm doing actually adds some value to the world, rather then being an endeavor that has taken hundreds of hours of my life, and that only a few thousand people know about, of which, about 100 actually care.

The design for the I.C.E.S.S is not what you'd call a conventional ship. While the Alterans were very advanced when they built this, it was designed to run for 1000s, if not millions of years. As such, it puts functionality above design, and has back-ups and fail-safes that go beyond logic. If you saw my design, you'd probably think it does look more like a space-station then a ship (actually, it has a center module, with arms coming off it, a bit like Atlantis).

Although, I won't post my design. It's only half-done (which is all I need), and made no sense to anyone I showed it too (a few kids from school, when I got bored listening to the story of a canyoning accident, and started work on it). However, I will tell you that my current estimates put it at about 2,600 blocks in diameter (possibly more, depending on where I put the engines).
This is a signature.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Call me jealous if you like, but I feel my builds are greatly under-appreciated.
This is a signature.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Frankly, they're getting the amount of attention they deserve. Every other build thread in this subforum is over-appreciated; it's not like these ships will get in the mod anyway. We're just a bunch of space-themed builders at this point, and not even that at times.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Tiel wrote:Frankly, they're getting the amount of attention they deserve. Every other build thread in this subforum is over-appreciated; it's not like these ships will get in the mod anyway. We're just a bunch of space-themed builders at this point, and not even that at times.
Maybe... maybe...
This is a signature.

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Post by MrTargareyan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 am

They both look amazing :) They are so good thats the full extent of the constructiveness i can think of ^-^

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:53 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
Tiel wrote:Frankly, they're getting the amount of attention they deserve. Every other build thread in this subforum is over-appreciated; it's not like these ships will get in the mod anyway. We're just a bunch of space-themed builders at this point, and not even that at times.
Maybe... maybe...
This is going to become some FC-meme now...
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
Maybe... maybe...
YES! (^-^)/
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:03 am

CatsVsNinjas wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
Maybe... maybe...
YES! (^-^)/
I'm pretty sure it was a TF2 meme....

Anyway! I'm done with the gun section. It only took me 15 hours. It is about 170,000 blocks in size (at 89 blocks high, 274 long, and 103 wide), and it is only the TURRET. Next step is to build the fixture for this onto my ship (I know fixture isn't the right term, I've got a mental block).

Here's a panorama of the back:
Spoiler:
I also did the underside, but it's too dark for a picture (just more of the same really).

As the level of detail and scale cannot be truly appreciated from pictures (so humble, aren't I?), I've also given a download link for it (also works a fool-proof back-up). Feel free to blow it up, and please tell me if you find any holes in the hull (because I might have missed a few in the complicated design of the hull)

http://www.mediafire.com/?y6ct6898h0ln3sa
This is a signature.