Vinyl's Ships

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: Vinyl's Ships

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:47 pm

It is always important to hear out criticism because it can help you improve or at least determine what is even worth uploading. I must admit though that I rarely see any good ships here and they usually come from consistent sources such as Laserbilly, I guess I could comment more to let them know what went wrong. For the sake of future builds I will leave you a summery now:

I guess the first and most obvious mistake I see is a lack of a plan whatsoever - The ship carries a rather random , blunt and awkward shape. First of all when you build a ship plan ahead a distinctive shape, try to make it look elegant. How to do that is beyond me to explain but you will see what looks good or bad with trial and error. Actually step back and take a look on your build from the side - does it really look any good ?

In addition the ship lacks any detail - it has a perfectly blank hull - not even the slightest of detail. The color was fine and had a good texture on it but besides that there was nothing on the hull - it was plain boring.

As for minor things the square engines do not synergise with the round hull.

Whether or not you gonna use those advices is up to you but if you will not bother with them and wont put time and love in your ships they will end up as a waste of time, sorry to let you know of it so boldly I am a straight person.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Iv, you've reached a new low.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:55 pm

In what ? I am honest and straight - I will not lie to you and say it is alright because it is not so that this person thinks he is a building genius and embarrasses himself somewhere. I tried to give as much constructive criticism and suggestions as possible - I viewed everything I was given through , took my time to judge and to formulate it and gave my conclusion. The fact you now declare it is a new low is actually insulting a bit, not rly but a bit which is something people on this forum couldn't manage to do in a lnog time. Im not hurt or something you will need more for that :tongue: but yea that is not nice of you to try and put me to public shame.

If you really feel my judgment was unfair you are welcome to judge my ships. I am always looking for mroe criticism. Actually I am qutie well aware of my ships and I know well their highs and lows, I guess a good practice for you both is to determine them and I will tell you the highs and lows I see, you can use that comparison to see better what looks good and what looks bad.

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:03 am

Iv121 wrote:In what ? I am honest and straight - I will not lie to you and say it is alright because it is not so that this person thinks he is a building genius and embarrasses himself somewhere. I tried to give as much constructive criticism and suggestions as possible - I viewed everything I was given through , took my time to judge and to formulate it and gave my conclusion. The fact you now declare it is a new low is actually insulting a bit, not rly but a bit which is something people on this forum couldn't manage to do in a lnog time. Im not hurt or something you will need more for that :tongue: but yea that is not nice of you to try and put me to public shame.

If you really feel my judgment was unfair you are welcome to judge my ships. I am always looking for mroe criticism. Actually I am qutie well aware of my ships and I know well their highs and lows, I guess a good practice for you both is to determine them and I will tell you the highs and lows I see, you can use that comparison to see better what looks good and what looks bad.
If Vinyl says she doesn't care, she doesn't care, and you should leave it at that, don't push her to be like you want her be.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:05 am

Point taken, I will not reply to this thread ever again.

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:42 am

If you don't care about our feedback, then why are you posting ships on this forum?

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:19 am

I was originally planning to be rude and give some pseudo-witty statement about your promise to never reply to this topic again, but you had good intentions of furthering the abilities of a fellow builder and I respect you for that, I also respect your policy of being clear and honest with your constructive criticism.

But I will give you the method to my madness, just so you see why (most of) my builds lack detail or seem boring. So I present... The 5 steps I use to make a ship.

1) Decide on what the ship is supposed to do, whether it be a large civilian cargo ship or tiny mining drone to the average military frigate.
2) Come up with general design plan, this generally includes deciding on the answers to a few simple questions:
a) Propulsion. One massive engine? A few large engines? A bunch of small engines? A mix? The engines are designed to be modular, expandable, scalable, and interchangeable between ships starting from first ever to the last I'll ever design/build.
b) Front. Rounded or ram? MAC or something else? This can be a major deciding factor in the interior plan as MACs or runways or anything much else can change how much space you can work with.
c) Interior. Civilian or military? Military ships generally have a larger armory and more storage space for MAC ammo, this is however, exclusive to if I get around to making one or not.
d) Other features. Things like hangars and additional weapons to the main gun are usually used to take up unused space or cover up areas that I think needed to be.
3) With all required features in mind, a rough draft of how it will look will be formulated. These generally involve a detailed plan covering interior and exterior, that more often than not includes features which are never added usually due to space restrictions of time limitations or any impediment to build it.
4) Build it, originally completely by hand then later culminating in a fiasco of hand, world edit, mcedit, and binvox, the building phase is the most chaotic. This is the stage where most revisions and last minute changes are made, usually for the worst. This could involve the removal of a room or corridor once though vital and now believed to be unimportant, or the resizing of a MAC or some other ridiculous thing.
5) As soon as the ship meets the requirements first set out for it to do, it is considered "done" and any work after is polishing. Most earlier ships received days or weeks of polishing due to the lack of new ideas for ships of the lack of means to build designed ships (such as a planet weapons platform). Ships like this include the Onesty-Class, while ships who have not undergone extensive polishing include the Athe-Class visible above. Both are good, functional ships and both received a similar preliminary start. Ultimately, the differences aren't great though (not including the idea for the ram from [INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE]). The Onesty has received about 2 months worth of polish work while the Athe has had none.

Now, I don't pretend like my ships look good, hell, I'd tell you how I really feel about them if you're interested, but I make them to perform a purpose, and I don't like to put them up to show until they can at least "do" what they should, anything else is extra. The ram, engine section, CIC, current bridge, and upper hangar are all extra tacked on to make it do it's job better and look nice. The Onesty could do its job without any of that, and its primary job is to deliver troops to planets. The Athe at this point in time can do its intended primary job: carry fighters. Sure, the Onesty has more interior, but unless you went on the world you'd never know that, and interior is not much a concern to me, as far as I'm concerned ingame interior is polish, but as long as it *should* be able to do its one purpose and do it at best mediocre, it is done and ready.

EDIT: @Block as an ordered log of all my content because it's already here and I can't be bothered to order it all on my own "offline" copy.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:56 am

Vinyl wrote:I was originally planning to be rude and give some pseudo-witty statement about your promise to never reply to this topic again, but you had good intentions of furthering the abilities of a fellow builder and I respect you for that, I also respect your policy of being clear and honest with your constructive criticism.

But I will give you the method to my madness, just so you see why (most of) my builds lack detail or seem boring. So I present... The 5 steps I use to make a ship.
Spoiler:
1) Decide on what the ship is supposed to do, whether it be a large civilian cargo ship or tiny mining drone to the average military frigate.
2) Come up with general design plan, this generally includes deciding on the answers to a few simple questions:
a) Propulsion. One massive engine? A few large engines? A bunch of small engines? A mix? The engines are designed to be modular, expandable, scalable, and interchangeable between ships starting from first ever to the last I'll ever design/build.
b) Front. Rounded or ram? MAC or something else? This can be a major deciding factor in the interior plan as MACs or runways or anything much else can change how much space you can work with.
c) Interior. Civilian or military? Military ships generally have a larger armory and more storage space for MAC ammo, this is however, exclusive to if I get around to making one or not.
d) Other features. Things like hangars and additional weapons to the main gun are usually used to take up unused space or cover up areas that I think needed to be.
3) With all required features in mind, a rough draft of how it will look will be formulated. These generally involve a detailed plan covering interior and exterior, that more often than not includes features which are never added usually due to space restrictions of time limitations or any impediment to build it.
4) Build it, originally completely by hand then later culminating in a fiasco of hand, world edit, mcedit, and binvox, the building phase is the most chaotic. This is the stage where most revisions and last minute changes are made, usually for the worst. This could involve the removal of a room or corridor once though vital and now believed to be unimportant, or the resizing of a MAC or some other ridiculous thing.
5) As soon as the ship meets the requirements first set out for it to do, it is considered "done" and any work after is polishing. Most earlier ships received days or weeks of polishing due to the lack of new ideas for ships of the lack of means to build designed ships (such as a planet weapons platform). Ships like this include the Onesty-Class, while ships who have not undergone extensive polishing include the Athe-Class visible above. Both are good, functional ships and both received a similar preliminary start. Ultimately, the differences aren't great though (not including the idea for the ram from [INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE]). The Onesty has received about 2 months worth of polish work while the Athe has had none.

Now, I don't pretend like my ships look good, hell, I'd tell you how I really feel about them if you're interested, but I make them to perform a purpose, and I don't like to put them up to show until they can at least "do" what they should, anything else is extra. The ram, engine section, CIC, current bridge, and upper hangar are all extra tacked on to make it do it's job better and look nice. The Onesty could do its job without any of that, and its primary job is to deliver troops to planets. The Athe at this point in time can do its intended primary job: carry fighters. Sure, the Onesty has more interior, but unless you went on the world you'd never know that, and interior is not much a concern to me, as far as I'm concerned ingame interior is polish, but as long as it *should* be able to do its one purpose and do it at best mediocre, it is done and ready.

EDIT: @Block as an ordered log of all my content because it's already here and I can't be bothered to order it all on my own "offline" copy.
Well, you're organized. I just start placing blocks down and see what happens. Probably why I only ever finish 10% of my projects..
This is a signature.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:24 pm

So I've recently gotten back into KSP, and with a bit of a blood lust. So we* here at L.L.L. (Special Research Devision) proudly present, our line of ships for use in the Kerbol System!
Let's get right to them, shall we?

Hornblend-Class Frigate
Spoiler:
The Hornblen-Class was the first ship in use by our Kerbin-based shipyards and remains the most widely used ship in the fleet.
Armaments:
2x Devastator Railguns
Spoiler:

Jubilat-Class Corvette
Spoiler:
The Jubilat-Class was the second ship in use by our Kerbin-Based shipyards and is used mainly for blockades and defense of Dracon-Class mining ships.
Armaments:
1x Devastator Railgun
Spoiler:

Munai-Class IPBM
Spoiler:
The Munai-Class Interplanetary Balistic Missile is a self-guided missile with interplanetary capabilities. They are usually launched from Kerbin or a Forr-Class Cruiser. Although rumored to be manned, these claims are dismissed by the government.
Armaments:
1x High-Yield Nuke
Spoiler:

Elysium-Clas Frigate
Spoiler:
The Elysium-Class is a specialized craft designed as a fast-response ship, and is thus given 2 open-core nuclear engines.
Armaments:
2x Devastator Railguns
Spoiler:

Action Shots (Stuff Happening)

Damaged Usurper-Class Fighter in sub-orbital flight on Laythe
Spoiler:
Damaged and stolen Elysium-Class Frigate in an escape trajectory from Laythe after ramming a Usurper-Class Fighter
Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Up for a KSP space race?

Currently I only have one decent ship, and its a big paperweight, but I can make more:
Spoiler:
In fact how about a separate KSP ships thread?
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Prototype wrote:In fact how about a separate KSP ships thread?
If you mean I make another thread to show off my KSP ships, no.
If you mean another thread for everyone to display their KSP ships, sure why not.
Prototype wrote:Up for a KSP space race?
Unless you're up for insane load times, no.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:39 pm

I meant a thread for everyone's ships, I'll probably stick one in the gaming sub forum, though I must say a space race I'll probably lose, my cruiser handles like a brick.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Prototype wrote:my cruiser handles like a brick.
Have you tried covering it in RCS thrusters?

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Vinyl wrote:
No I totally forgot about those, I didn't expect it to actually get into orbit.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Prototype wrote:
Vinyl wrote:
No I totally forgot about those, I didn't expect it to actually get into orbit.
Unless you somehow got an ultralight (or something roughly the same size) into orbit, anything will handle like some form of brick without RCS.