NeoRoman Industries.

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign
Re: NeoRoman Industries.

Post by Laserbilly » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Professor Fenway wrote:First off, you're [-] THIS close to each getting a warning point for off topic. Second, Vinyl you don't HAVE ANY TANKS. So your argument is INVALID. Third, Block, I bet that my tank would win against any of yours. Why? Mine are small enough that they would get in your tank's blind spots, shoot the wheels, and then fire away. Your main cannons are so large and ridiculous that they couldn't hit anything within 500 meters away from the tank. I would run circles around you. Fourth, your tanks do not have any specifications or fan fiction or descriptions or ANYTHING. Fifth, they would be ridiculously expensive to produce due to their size. Sixth, they are massively big targets, so big that a caveman could spot them from 5 miles away. Thanks for being a whopping big target mate. Seventh, they are likely ridiculously slow, so mobilizing them from their parking lot would take ages. Makes a few nukes very effective. Eighth, their main turret is ridiculously large and would take ages to spin around. I can just run about it with a small frigate and you couldn't do anything. Ninth, the tank can be easily infiltrated and destroyed by any amateur team, as there are so many blind spots and weak spots that make it rather fragile. And last, their cannons are so powerful that attempting to destroy any ground forces would likely result in the destruction of most of the terrain and/or city. Making them useless if you need to defend a city and keep it intact.
OOH OOH! Do me next! (^-^)/

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Professor Fenway wrote:First off, you're [-] THIS close to each getting a warning point for off topic. Second, Vinyl you don't HAVE ANY TANKS. So your argument is INVALID. Third, Block, I bet that my tank would win against any of yours. Why? Mine are small enough that they would get in your tank's blind spots, shoot the wheels, and then fire away. Your main cannons are so large and ridiculous that they couldn't hit anything within 500 meters away from the tank. I would run circles around you. Fourth, your tanks do not have any specifications or fan fiction or descriptions or ANYTHING. Fifth, they would be ridiculously expensive to produce due to their size. Sixth, they are massively big targets, so big that a caveman could spot them from 5 miles away. Thanks for being a whopping big target mate. Seventh, they are likely ridiculously slow, so mobilizing them from their parking lot would take ages. Makes a few nukes very effective. Eighth, their main turret is ridiculously large and would take ages to spin around. I can just run about it with a small frigate and you couldn't do anything. Ninth, the tank can be easily infiltrated and destroyed by any amateur team, as there are so many blind spots and weak spots that make it rather fragile. And last, their cannons are so powerful that attempting to destroy any ground forces would likely result in the destruction of most of the terrain and/or city. Making them useless if you need to defend a city and keep it intact.
Well, my bigger tanks and mechs are made with anti-ship cannons, we also have a smaller mechs and tanks outside the city as protoypes. Not only that, but I am planning to have a Voxel Co. base in FV. So, I can use the Voxel Co. tanks to defend the city too.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:12 pm

I see you totally ignored my post :[ . It is pointless to argue who's bigger because neither of you have one yet. And again your tanks are useless in urban conditions.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:17 pm

blockman42 wrote:
Well, my bigger tanks and mechs are made with anti-ship cannons, we also have a smaller mechs and tanks outside the city as protoypes. Not only that, but I am planning to have a Voxel Co. base in FV. So, I can use the Voxel Co. tanks to defend the city too.
Huh? I don't have any tanks.

Back on topic, that destroyer looks promising, and you will likely kill me for saying this but you need a bigger tank, just not ridiculously big, but big enough to be scary.

But I'm looking forward to that destroyer, but from what I can see it needs colour (I know it's WIP, but it's a good idea to do colour from the starts otherwise you never get round to it)

On a side note, 300th post
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks. It's my usual color scheme, Iron, Nether Brick and Stone slabs, so white, crimson, and grey. I generally avoid excessive coloring and all, I might change it though.

On a side note, I made another land vehicle and a ground turret. The vehicle is a troop transport and the turret a Light Plasma Coil. I'll post pics later.

Hmm, didn't think about the projectile interception. Might add something to the tank.

It CAN be used in an urban setting. In fact, the tank was used in several. This is mainly due to the larger streets, larger than most, but I certainly agree it would be at a disadvantage. Again, projectile interception. Maybe some sort of laser system on the sides.

And laserbilly, I can't argue with you. Why? Your stuff is so * awesome that it would be pointless. Like the orbital Mech box drop.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Professor Fenway wrote: It CAN be used in an urban setting. In fact, the tank was used in several. This is mainly due to the larger streets, larger than most, but I certainly agree it would be at a disadvantage. Again, projectile interception. Maybe some sort of laser system on the sides.
Actually in the age we place futurecraft at you'd do better if you place a shield system on your tank. It won't help you with counterattacks though and I'm sure technology will develop to counter shields. No matter how you try to put it, tanks are jsut not for urban settings. What will you do with it's cannon ? shoot the ground floors and hope to collapse the buildings on the enemy ? You'll surely ruin the whole city so you better just bombard it from orbit. For urban settings I would use infantry, human-sized robots, small flying robots. None of your big mechs or tanks can help in urban settings. Actually I'd prefer to use stealth units and strike from inside using guerrilla tactics.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Professor Fenway wrote: It CAN be used in an urban setting. In fact, the tank was used in several. This is mainly due to the larger streets, larger than most, but I certainly agree it would be at a disadvantage. Again, projectile interception. Maybe some sort of laser system on the sides.
Actually in the age we place futurecraft at you'd do better if you place a shield system on your tank. It won't help you with counterattacks though and I'm sure technology will develop to counter shields. No matter how you try to put it, tanks are jsut not for urban settings. What will you do with it's cannon ? shoot the ground floors and hope to collapse the buildings on the enemy ? You'll surely ruin the whole city so you better just bombard it from orbit. For urban settings I would use infantry, human-sized robots, small flying robots. None of your big mechs or tanks can help in urban settings. Actually I'd prefer to use stealth units and strike from inside using guerrilla tactics.
tanks are good for infantry support in urban areas, also good for intimidation, if there is a tank outside, everyone stays inside, where its more difficult for them to attack you while you set us up the bomb
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Tell this to the Germans in Stalingrad. This city became the graveyard not only of the German troops there but also of the whole German war machine. The Russians knew they stand no chance against the German armor in the open fields so they decided to sacrifice that city and turn it into a bloody killing floor. The first Germans who reached the city met heavy resistance so the Germans began to massively bombard the city. The Russians were well dug inside the city and the artillery wasn't enough. Not only this but also the rubble of the blown houses will slow the advancement of German armor into the city. When the German armor began to enter the city the Russians moved up to the roofs where they are in the tanks' dead spots. They destroyed the heads of the columns, forcing the whole columns to turn around and search for other routes. The German armor became useless in those settings and so the German infantry was left without that edge. They had to fight over each and every house in a bloody war. The Russians were loosing much more men but they don't give a **** because they have plenty of meat, while the German casualties began to take weight. This city stopped the whole German advancement because they couldn't control the city. Eventually they will take it, but their advancement would be so delayed they wouldn't be able to stop the Russian counter attack - the end.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Prototype wrote:also good for intimidation, if there is a tank outside, everyone stays inside, where its more difficult for them to attack you while you set us up the bomb
This. The thing that people sometimes forget about tanks is that not only are they good for direct combat, tanks are also @#$%ing scary. In World War 1, they called the psychological effect of armored vehicles on infantry 'tank terror', and the name fits. The people who say that things like AT-ATs are useless are forgetting the fact that they're intended as much as psychological weapons as anything - people watching what looks like a giant metal monster with guns on its face walking towards them are a lot less likely to scream curses at your soldiers while hurling grenades, and a lot more likely to scream, wet their nanobot-laden combat bodysuits, and run as fast as they can in the other direction. The 'Oh, @#$%! We can't fight that!' reflex is a good one to capitalize on if at all possible. The same goes for really big warships, too. Even if a 200-kilometer dreadnaught isn't really all that practical in combat, as a terror weapon and a morale boost for your side it excels.

To the above post, that's because when they're in their own territory Russians fight like crazy berserker ninjas. It wouldn't work everywhere.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:44 pm

ok, didnt ask for a history lesson, remember we are discussing a game here.
also the russian lost a lot more men than anyone else in WWII (about 27 million if I remember right)
but the russians did try using tanks against the mujahadin, and that didn't go too well.

but point taken.

but asides from that, tanks won't be totally useless in urban areas, especially if they fly, and shoot laser beams that penetrate through walls.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:49 pm

Prototype wrote:also the russian lost a lot more men than anyone else in WWII (about 27 million if I remember right)
"Aaarrrggghhh, I've been wounded! I'm no good to the squad now, so I'll take this bag of grenades and jump under the first enemy tank I find. Ivan, you're in command now."

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:50 pm

Your gun cannot shoot almost 90 deg up... Besides I'd do a better job nuking the city - I will surely kill all defenders and the city will look the same as if you spent a year trying to take it with laser tanks :) .

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Iv121 wrote:Your gun cannot shoot almost 90 deg up... Besides I'd do a better job nuking the city - I will surely kill all defenders and the city will look the same as if you spent a year trying to take it with laser tanks :) .
Why couldn't it shoot up? And the rest of the post is silly. I don't think I need to explain why nuking a city is not the same as capturing it.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Iv121 wrote:Your gun cannot shoot almost 90 deg up... Besides I'd do a better job nuking the city - I will surely kill all defenders and the city will look the same as if you spent a year trying to take it with laser tanks :) .
laser tanks are cooler.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:50 pm

When AT-ATs were deployed in urban environments they were utterly useless. Even the morale debuff/buff of the hulking mecha couldn't compensate for the lack of maneuvering room and restricted firing arcs...that's where the aging A6 and A5 Juggernauts showed their merit in their versatility.

You know, as long as we're using Star Wars vehicles as examples. A massive tank isn't going to be of much use in an urban combat setting unless the goal is also to utterly destroy buildings and infrastructure, in which case an orbital bombardment would be much more efficient.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]