Talon's Random Ship of Random Randomness

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
Talon93
Cadet
Cadet
IGN:Talon93
Talon's Random Ship of Random Randomness

Post by Talon93 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:11 am

I got bored and decided to try and make a decent ship (for once). I got a basic shape down but need to add details, interior, weapons, engines, etc. Tell me what you think of it because I have no idea. :s
Spoiler:
Anything can be learnt, it is simply how willing you are to learn.
Dramatic Bold Italic Underline!

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: Talon's Random Ship of Random Randomness

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:25 am

Well it is quite random. Quit simple quite blank - it is more of a shape than an actual ship. I can as well say it is a building because there is nothing I can point at and say "look - this is a ship"
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:03 am

Well Iv121, I think that since he told us all that it's going to be a ship, we can all assume that he's telling the truth and just take it at face value.

I think it has a unique shape and some potential. However, I think that its combination of curves and straight lines are a little too jarring. I would either make the wings more polygonal, or get rid of the triangular tower on top and make it the top half of a sphere. Also, if I were you, I'd think about just taking the horizontal wings and turn them vertical too; giving it a cool "t" shape and making it look a bit more aggressive too.
But I could be wrong, maybe it just needs some detailing to make it look really good. Whatever you do, I like the direction you're headed with it.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 am

If I look at something and I have to ask myself "What is it ?" it means it wasn't done properly. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings or stuff, I believe a honest straight on comment is better than praising the naked king. I'd expect the same from others judging my works as long as it's constructive criticism.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 am

Iv121 wrote:If I look at something and I have to ask myself "What is it ?" it means it wasn't done properly. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings or stuff, I believe a honest straight on comment is better than praising the naked king. I'd expect the same from others judging my works as long as it's constructive criticism.
I'm pretty sure it's not finished, I normally post the first pictures of my ships at this stage. And he does say its just the basic shape, so that's what I'm going to judge.

All I can say is the shape is good, just needs detail, and some colour, and maybe an engine block out the back.

And perhaps a little more big (for your next ship, finish this one first)
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:23 am

It's very random and a pretty average hull

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:30 am

blockman42 wrote:It's very random and a pretty average hull
I am probably going to get stung in the behind for this but,

I don't see why you guys (you and IV) have such a disliking to such a simple yet elegant designe. plus, it's not even done, you guys may think your top quality builders (and don't get me wrong i think you guys are) but that dosen't mean everything has to be the way you want/like it.

and sorry if that was not the message you were trying to convey intentionally or unintentionally
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:40 am

Iv121 wrote:I hope I didn't hurt your feelings or stuff, I believe a honest straight on comment is better than praising the naked king. I'd expect the same from others judging my works as long as it's constructive criticism.
I'll be harsh but I'll be fair. If people hear only praises they will never improve, later they will think they are exceptional builders and put their works to the public's amusement...

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 am

CatsVsNinjas wrote:

I don't see why you guys (you and IV) have such a disliking to such a simple yet elegant designe. plus, it's not even done, you guys may think your top quality builders (and don't get me wrong i think you guys are) but that dosen't mean everything has to be the way you want/like it.

and sorry if that was not the message you were trying to convey intentionally or unintentionally
because me and Iv see these designs way too much, very curvy and elegant. More than half the ships on the forums have some sort of said design. It's what making laserbilly's ships took so good, they have a personality to them. It's boring to see the same designs again and again. So, when a new style of ship that is ei: industrial or steampunky comes out they looks so much better.

Talon93
Cadet
Cadet
IGN:Talon93

Post by Talon93 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:14 pm

blockman42 wrote:
CatsVsNinjas wrote:

because me and Iv see these designs way too much, very curvy and elegant. More than half the ships on the forums have some sort of said design. It's what making laserbilly's ships took so good, they have a personality to them. It's boring to see the same designs again and again. So, when a new style of ship that is ei: industrial or steampunky comes out they looks so much better.

I don't really look at other designs on the forums much so I wouldn't know. Whenever I try create a more industrial style ship it ends up looking too much like a block. Today I will begin to slightly modify the hull and add some at least basic detailing. Thanks for the feedback guys. ^-^

Okay I have changed the wing and wanted you guys to say what is better. here is a comparison
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Anything can be learnt, it is simply how willing you are to learn.
Dramatic Bold Italic Underline!

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:26 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Iv121 wrote:I hope I didn't hurt your feelings or stuff, I believe a honest straight on comment is better than praising the naked king. I'd expect the same from others judging my works as long as it's constructive criticism.
I'll be harsh but I'll be fair. If people hear only praises they will never improve, later they will think they are exceptional builders and put their works to the public's amusement...
There's a big difference between constructive criticism and belittlement. Just make sure it stays on the former and doesn't drift into the ladder.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:03 am

Alright I got it, I'll never post again :[ (BTW someone fix those emoticon (and why dam is even censored ?) )

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Good point.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:38 pm

catsonmeth wrote:drift into the ladder.
C:
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 pm

I like the design of this ship, but is does need to be more adorned. I also recommend if you wish to detail a sleek design to make it a lot bigger, otherwise the detail destroys the sleekness.
This is a signature.