The Great Celestial Fleet of Nova (name is a WIP)

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran
Re: The Great Celestial Fleet of Nova (name is a WIP)

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:02 am

Let's see if either of these pictures are any better:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The second one enlarges if you click on it, I do believe.

Again, please tell me if they're not working for you guys.

It's not a strong purple. It's actually quite a subtle grey one. Same with the white: I'm using quartz, which is actually a creamy grey. Adding some tone into strong colours always helps them be easier on the eyes. That's why orange and grey looks better than black and red.
I will admit that it's a weird colour scheme for any build, little known a space ship. But do remember this is a fantasy ship, built by wizards and warlocks, not engineers.
This is a signature.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:46 am

THeres another prob with 2 km lnog ships and that is the MC engine limit, at this scale you are definitly not getting the shape simply becuase youll never actually see it (Tried to build a 1 km ship before abandoned it for the same reason)
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Saravanth
Captain
Captain
IGN:Saravanth

Post by Saravanth » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:08 am

There are programs to circumvent that, Iv.

Anyway, looks way better when enlarged. I kinda like it, even. Though the living area and farms look awfully vulnerable.

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3

Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:24 am

Well thats pretty much the status quo with all our ships nowdays ;) .
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:42 am

Don't think it's a combat ship, either, so giving all your 0dz a room with a view isn't a bad thing.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:49 am

Iv121 wrote:THeres another prob with 2 km lnog ships and that is the MC engine limit, at this scale you are definitly not getting the shape simply becuase youll never actually see it (Tried to build a 1 km ship before abandoned it for the same reason)
That's why it's important to make the shapes interesting both on a macro and micro scale. Massive ships need an overall strong shape combined with/broken up by smaller shapes (which can be accentuated by details) to be truly appealing. Often repetition is a good idea on larger ships, which I have done a bit of. I can't think of many good examples of the top of head, but have a look at Elmo114s ships or Neoxyl's ships (I think that's how you spell that)...

And to Saravanth: it isn't a military ship, and the people who made it aren't expecting to encounter hostile aliens at all. That being said, it does have the military support ships and a powerful force field to protect it. Plus some mining lasers and turrets designed for debris clearing/ in case of emergencies.
This is a signature.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:38 pm

I built the royal yacht for the ship! (This was more of an exercise trying to build a smaller ship with this style.) It turned out okay in the end, after I made some major modifications to the original design I had in mind. It's still not the best ship I've built by any means, but it isn't that bad either.
The interior features the following:

- A bridge + pilots controls (I'll introduce you to how they work once I've got them working)
- A spacious sun room
- A spacious library/lounge with bean bags! Because what self respecting royal would ever want to sit on a seat...
- An open deck (the miracles of force-fields....)
- Two royal bedrooms (comfortable, but not something you'd want to stay in for weeks on end)
- A crew quarters
- An observation room (very moody, very space-y)
- A galley
- Storages

The original design:

This is a signature.

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:41 pm

I don't think it looks too much like a *, alien or otherwise. Though the new photos do look like a bull elephant's head!

I like the organic feel to the ship, but not the steampunk!

Also, I made this beetle shaped dropship for the project.
Spoiler:
I'm not too interested in helping with that giant ship. But if you want me to make a couple smaller ships (less than 100m) with a certain theme then I can do that! Let me know if/when you want me to post that ship on PMC to try to raise a little more interest in your project.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Laserbilly wrote:I don't think it looks too much like a *, alien or otherwise. Though the new photos do look like a bull elephant's head!

I like the organic feel to the ship, but not the steampunk!

Also, I made this beetle shaped dropship for the project.
Spoiler:
I'm not too interested in helping with that giant ship. But if you want me to make a couple smaller ships (less than 100m) with a certain theme then I can do that! Let me know if/when you want me to post that ship on PMC to try to raise a little more interest in your project.
Hm.... The steampunk is only a slight influence... WIth the photos on here, are there any particular steam-punky bit you don't like? I trust your judgement when it comes to building, so if you see anything poor, please tell me.

There are a number of smaller ships that will need to be built (some of them have a different theme- crystalline made of the new under-sea temple greeny-blue blocks) if you're willing to help with those (they're larger than 100m, but no where as large as the big ship). They're quite different to your normal style though, so I understand if you don't want to. I'll also need several more smaller ships in the style of the big ship (passenger ships, scout ships, freighters, etc.) and the cryo-pods (along with the cryo-pods, there are a number of small to medium sized bits of the ship that people could build without needing to work on the main body if it's the size of the beast that's preventing you from helping. If it's the style, then I dunno...)

I do like that little ship of yours. I think that I'll post the yacht (once I've made it work) on PMC with a link back the main project page on PMC and this forum. If you'd like to post your ship sometime after that with similar linking, it'd be greatly appreciated (what type of ship is it, by the way? You didn't really specify)

Sorry for the tardy reply, I've gone around the world in the past few days (literally, not metaphorically)

And to everyone else:

Why no you comment on my yacht??!!

Just kidding. I'm sure ya'll have your reasons.
This is a signature.

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:17 pm

You know proto's server is up right? Why not build it there.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:28 pm

Tell wrote:You know proto's server is up right? Why not build it there.
I'll be doing heavy lifting and need either MCedit or World Edit. I'll also be heavy command-blocking. If Proto's server is fine with that stuff, then I certainly will. I was intending to host the build on the server eventually. But if no-one's interested in helping me build it to ease the work-load, then it's faster for me to do it on Single Player.
This is a signature.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:54 pm

If you were to put it on his server, it'd have to be on a separate world as the main one is survival. It does have worldedit and command blocks are enabled.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:11 am

Though I would have to set up perms so that filthy scrublords can't get on and grief stuff. Tough that said we are in desperate need of better builders than ACH.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:03 am

prototype wrote:Though I would have to set up perms so that filthy scrublords can't get on and grief stuff. Tough that said we are in desperate need of better builders than ACH.
Better building is something I actually can do (I say that because I'm usually very useless around here). Do you need a spawn building (we could use the ship once it's underway [or any of my previous builds on PMC, for that mater]) or I could build a new one?
Do you need other buildings?
This is a signature.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:09 am

I was planning to not have a spawn in the usual sense, and instead use random spawning, but build various towns/ other exciting locations around the place and attempt to implement a fast travel system between them.

Do you have a Skype? We need to add you to the group, we can talk there about things.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler: