The Freeholds Of Valyria

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear
Re: The Slyth Dominion

Post by Prototype » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Looks about the same size as my big cannons
Spoiler:
[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=126&u=17368647]Image[/url]
That is the biggest in terms if barrel radius. (Mine has a 10 block radius, 20 block diameter, the cannon that is)

But I'm hoping you'll make the rest of the gun better than I did.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Post by MrTargareyan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Prototype wrote:Looks about the same size as my big cannons
Spoiler:
[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=126&u=17368647]Image[/url]
That is the biggest in terms if barrel radius. (Mine has a 10 block radius, 20 block diameter, the cannon that is)

But I'm hoping you'll make the rest of the gun better than I did.
Ahh my cannon has a 30 block diameter at its widest and 28 at its thinnest :) Wish i could build a ship that big though :(

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:52 pm

I like that theory, instead of how big a gun can I fit on this ship, it's how big a ship can I fit on this gun.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Prototype wrote:I like that theory, instead of how big a gun can I fit on this ship, it's how big a ship can I fit on this gun.
That's exactly correct. Think about a real-life battleship (It's really obvious on some of the ones from WWII). The ship exists solely as a platform for hauling the guns places. It is flat, because flat is the most efficient way to mount huge guns. It's ridiculously loaded with guns, because guns are the only reason the ship exists. You don't see that channeled in very many spaceships, either here or in real science fiction, because it doesn't look as good. It's much more effective and realistic, but is perceived as being less cool. That's the only thing I dislike about Imperial-class Star Destroyers: It's a massive ship with tiny (compared to its size) guns, and not very many of those. Halo's UNSC ships are really nothing but a MAC with some life support stuff wrapped around it, which I like. That's realistic.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:36 pm

(Russian accent)

Not that the big guns are competition, but if it were, I win:
Spoiler:
This is a signature.

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:50 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:(Russian accent)

Not that the big guns are competition, but if it were, I win:
Spoiler:
Awwww :( Meh looking down the barrel of a 30 metre diametre gun and knowing i own it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside xD
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Prototype wrote:I like that theory, instead of how big a gun can I fit on this ship, it's how big a ship can I fit on this gun.
That's exactly correct. Think about a real-life battleship (It's really obvious on some of the ones from WWII). The ship exists solely as a platform for hauling the guns places. It is flat, because flat is the most efficient way to mount huge guns. It's ridiculously loaded with guns, because guns are the only reason the ship exists. You don't see that channeled in very many spaceships, either here or in real science fiction, because it doesn't look as good. It's much more effective and realistic, but is perceived as being less cool. That's the only thing I dislike about Imperial-class Star Destroyers: It's a massive ship with tiny (compared to its size) guns, and not very many of those. Halo's UNSC ships are really nothing but a MAC with some life support stuff wrapped around it, which I like. That's realistic.
yeah, its hard to get a ship with that many guns to look good, that combined with the curves and diagonnals of the ship means i have to postpone the project as i have realised, i have knowere near the skill needed to pull it of, especialy when it was going to be 500 blocks long, luckily though, i have found another cool pic and i am going to give it a go. Hopefully it will still be reasonably big >:D

News on the new ship:
If this thing goes to plan (if i stick to the design which i will try to do) this thing should easily qualify to be a dreadnought. Due to me not thinking about how big it is, it is currntly about 130 blocks long and i have only done 1/15 of the lenth of the ship >:D

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:06 am

Are you implying that my giant turret is cute? It's a rail gun that fires two 6m long shells full of high explosives at the rate of about 10/sec. Plus, mine can rotate. Do you have a picture of this giant gun of yours?
This is a signature.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:08 am

Looks like a big gun war is about to start, time to draw up the Planet buster MKII
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:12 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:Are you implying that my giant turret is cute? It's a rail gun that fires two 6m long shells full of high explosives at the rate of about 10/sec. Plus, mine can rotate. Do you have a picture of this giant gun of yours?
Yeah its the giant tube I uploaded that looks a bit like a undeatailed ship hull, its the bare skeleton of a gun at the moment, and i was implying that your gun was incredibly amazing :) My post was just badly worded, despite being english, my english isn't to good :P The pic of my gun is on the previous page. Its big, but it will never look as good as yours.

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:48 am

Ok, finished the basic shape of the front 1/5 of the ship, please note that this will look a LOT less bland when i add deatailing with obsidian, it is currently 254 blocks long.

Pics:

[url=http://postimage.org/]Image[/url]

The design i am basing it of:

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:17 am

That is awesome.

Forget a big-gun war, let's have a big ship war! My carrier, Prototype's dreadnought, and your whatever-this-is!
This is a signature.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:42 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:That is awesome.

Forget a big-gun war, let's have a big ship war! My carrier, Prototype's dreadnought, and your whatever-this-is!
My new one or my boring old one.
But I am definitely up for a big ship war, although I have reason to believe that tunnel has an 8.5km ship, which will likely trounce us.

But what you have there looks awesome, and looks like its proportioned right, if you can pull this one off it will look sick.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:45 am

Thanks :) i have actually modifed it so the prongs are closer together than in the previous pic as i thought it looked a bit stupid, here is the updated version, detail will not be added until the end of the build though. Also a ship war sound awesome :) but if tunnel has an 8km ship i think i need to find a way to fit my oversized cannon on my dreadnaught, and prep a fleet of R6 fighters for my hanger deck >:D But yeah i am going to lose...sooo badly :D

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:51 am

MrTargareyan wrote:

Thanks :) i have actually modifed it so the prongs are closer together than in the previous pic as i thought it looked a bit stupid, here is the updated version, detail will not be added until the end of the build though. Also a ship war sound awesome :) but if tunnel has an 8km ship i think i need to find a way to fit my oversized cannon on my dreadnaught, and prep a fleet of R6 fighters for my hanger deck >:D But yeah i am going to lose...sooo badly :D
Spoiler:
Well what you've done with your engines so far is probably better than my engine array, although I need to work on those more.

But it definitely looks better now.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:10 am

Prototype wrote:
MrTargareyan wrote:

Spoiler:
Well what you've done with your engines so far is probably better than my engine array, although I need to work on those more.

But it definitely looks better now.
That is actually the front of the ship, but i might replace the intakes with guns to avoid that effect.

______edit______-
ok, here is one of the intakes as a gun port, intakes or gun ports hmmm, suggestions?