The Freeholds Of Valyria

Show dem ships!
Forum rules
- Threads pertaining to subject matter other than visible ship building will be moved/deleted without notice.
- Flaming or insulting other members based on their work is prohibited - constructive feedback only.
- Users may bump threads in this subforum with no penalty so long as responses build upon the current topic.
MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan
Re: The Freeholds Of Valyria

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:45 am

Here is a long range tug for rp purposes (I need to tow an ancient salvaged Ayleid fleet though a wormhole. It is also designed to be easily mass produced, and can be easily refitted into a sturdy; if not superbly armed frigate. Its pretty ugly unfortunately, the surfaces were all flat or diagonal with no variation, which I found hard to greeble, and was to lazy to fix.

(sos, I forgot to add a pic)

Here it is:

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:33 am

MrTargareyan wrote:Here is a long range tug for rp purposes (I need to tow an ancient salvaged Ayleid fleet though a wormhole. It is also designed to be easily mass produced, and can be easily refitted into a sturdy; if not superbly armed frigate. Its pretty ugly unfortunately, the surfaces were all flat or diagonal with no variation, which I found hard to greeble, and was to lazy to fix.

(sos, I forgot to add a pic)

Here it is:
Looks nice

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Here is the cruiser I built today :) Its not greebled yet, but I am fairly happy with the shape, though feedback/advice is always welcome :) I was going for a more crude/mass produced look as my faction has supposedly just lost most of its resources and ancestral home, though it does sport a large laser array at the nose. How I love binvox C:

Pics:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:23 pm

inb4 laserbilly/blockman post some variation of "good", can you post an image of the sketchup model you made to convert?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Tiel wrote:inb4 laserbilly/blockman post some variation of "good", can you post an image of the sketchup model you made to convert?

K sure, to make my ships symmetrical I only build half a ship, then mirror it in mcedit after binvoxing :) But here it is.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:34 pm

Oh, you use IE as well as Chrome?
Interesting...
Edit: Where can I get SketchUp, it looks good.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:Oh, you use IE as well as Chrome?
Interesting...
Edit: Where can I get SketchUp, it looks good.
No just IE normally :) But I need to use chrome to get on pmc as ie crashes when I get on.

Heres a link to sketchup:
http://www.sketchup.com/download

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:39 pm

I see. So you use insets and extrudes on the model, which when overlaid over the voxelizer's interpretation of bevels creates a decent detail effect on its lonesome. Very clever.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by blockman42 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:01 pm

Tiel wrote:inb4 laserbilly/blockman post some variation of "good", can you post an image of the sketchup model you made to convert?
solid design

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:23 am

After I realised that the greebling I was doing didn't show up on the render as the ship is 500 blocks long, I settled for colour variation and large recesses instead. The gun on the front now has a purpose as well! The 5 superheated lasers provide a catylist for a small fusion reaction on the enemy hull, lasting roughly 5 seconds. This causes about as much damage as 3/4 of the fusion cannon on my flayer dreadnought; which I actually had room to put on; but that just wouldn't be cool enough-if I had I might as well just build lots of flayers. The forward triangular prisms on the side of the hull; although you cant see it as a shadow covers that part of the ship on the render, contains a large nuclear fission particle accelerator, hurling enough newly discovered verge radiation to weaken/fracture shields over time; which is useful as the fusion gun is useless against shields, and actually adds to their power levels. It is also designed for mobility, with fairly enormous engines for a ship of its size (by my standards anyways)

Pics:

EDIT______________
This is approximately what the main gun would do, tested on the ugly iron monstrosity that was my first dreadnought. It would also ionise parts of the ships atmosphere; burning many people to an agonising death.

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 am

Here is my new support carrier, my first non symmetrical ship; also 500 blocks long, its the same size as my new cruiser, and has the same crude, mass produces theme, though to a slightly lesser extent. This can carry a large squadron of R-7 fighters for defense, a very large squadron of x-678 bombers for attack and has a small fusion catalyst projector at the front.

Here is a pic:

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by blockman42 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:58 pm

MrTargareyan wrote:Here is my new support carrier, my first non symmetrical ship; also 500 blocks long, its the same size as my new cruiser, and has the same crude, mass produces theme, though to a slightly lesser extent. This can carry a large squadron of R-7 fighters for defense, a very large squadron of x-678 bombers for attack and has a small fusion catalyst projector at the front.

Here is a pic:

The overall shape is nice, but if you could add some crazy details you would be legendary.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:51 am

I agree, the SketchUp method is good for rough shapes, but details are required either way.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrTargareyan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:05 am

Yeah, I might go back and add details at some point, but I had my first day back at school today and feel [insert self pity here] Anyway, I am currently working on a colonisation/research ship that I may actually try on, pics of the basic shape may come later today if I can be bothered to finish the 3d model within the next 4 hours.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:20 am

How are you converting these models to blocks? And what sort of scale are they in sketchup?
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler: