STOP LOCKING THREADS

Bans and unjust moderation are to be appealed here.
Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear
Re: STOP LOCKING THREADS

Post by Prototype » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:09 am

Mistake Not... wrote:
Icelandic Perehelion wrote:@Jedi I'm a mod because I'm a reasonable person, and was voted in during the FC reform thing.
Voted in by whom?
Pretty much everyone.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:27 am

Mistake Not... wrote:I'm not certain why Error is a moderator at all, but I nominated him back when elections were a thing and I still support him as a moderator. I cannot for the life of me understand why there's a person already in place as backup moderator, and it absolutely boggles my mind that anyone would pick CMA for that role, but for the love of gods Error is doing a good job, and even if he wasn't he would still be better than the apparent alternative.
I was joking, although I think Tiel said it once and then realized what he was saying.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:15 am

Either way nobody asked Error to step down (unless he plans to do so himself I don’t think it will happen soon), dealing with stuff like this thread is just part of your job, yea in theory there are supposed to be judges to actually decide here for you but due to the fact we don't have them for one reason or another Im going directly to you.

I believe the arguments presented against locking are strong enough to unlock the latest thread locked due to "off-topic". Nobody told you not to combat off-topic, its annoying for those who would like to have a conversation about the main topic at hand, but if there are no such people no freedoms or rights are hurt thus there is no need for a mod to intervene. In addition even when the mod decides to intervene he has a set of much more effective tools to allow him to restore order in a thread:

- Official warning - and don't give me that stuff that "nobody cares about it" , they do care and if they won't you have more tools to deal with it.
- Deleting off-topic posts.
- For continuous violators who insist to keep posting after the official warning and after the deletion of the off-topic posts a one day long ban is suitable, at this point the violator doesn’t merely do off-topic.

That is why I will again request to unlock the following topic: http://fc-mod.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=978&start=20
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:37 am

I will repeat this.

I do what I feel is best for the forum. Also, given that the new rules have no points system, official warnings lack weight. You might care about them, but many don't.

That said, if you prefer the 3 strikes then a ban method, all I would do on this forum is spend far too much time dispensing warnings for offtopic. I keep my fingernaway from the ban button - that's the absolute last resort.

The requested thread wil not be unlocked, Iv, there is no purpose to that, and that is my final answer, unless overruled by Tau.

@cats, I was referred to by several others as reasonable, and was a preferable mod to Jedi, ACH, CMA, whoever else.

And, while FC is conversational, true, there is a difference between evolution of topic and off topic.

Also, CMA led the revival charge because he is actually a decent person (when he wants to be) and has decent knowledge of Java. You were not selected as a mod or coder for, presumably, lack of experience and/or other reasons I don't know.

To all involved: if a majority vote wishes me to, I will unlock all currently locked topics (within reason) and shift from locks to warnings and bans. Please be aware this does not improve my opinion of the community. I see no reason why I should have to start annoying FC members by constantly warning them to stay ontopic.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:14 am

Then don't annoy them constantly by locking threads for example, see you say what I say and try to deny it in the same time, you know well what I talk about and yet it appears you refuse to accept it, in other words your current judgment is clouded and that is not good for a mod. In a last attempt to help you give into the facts I will do something bold: Create an off-topic situation in my very own ship thread.

This action is not against the rules however it does count as off-topic, in 24 hours from now I will revive my ships thread with a post and then it will be filled with some off-topic, as I would like my ship thread to stay clean I will request to restore order, meaning you have no choice but to show your moderating skills in action. How will you act on that issue ? you have 24 hours to decide, and in fact its the perfect experiment to show you why your system doesn't work. If you lock the thread I will not be able to post my ship designs in the future, you will hurt the community and I will appeal on the lock in this subforum, as you see you will have no choice but to unlock it, you will return to ground 0 with no progress whatsoever.

The most interesting fact about this experiment is that apart from me giving you an early warning this off-topic situation is an identical to any other real off-topic, conveniently happening on time for the discussion of the matter, if you manage to solve it properly, will it be my way or any other, you can apply it to any following off-topic events. That is all on my part, you can thank me later (or curse if you'd like), we're meeting again in 24 hours.

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:19 am

Personally I didn't see anything useful in the locked threads.

seriously, if making another thread for a conversation kills the conversation then that conversation was probably quite shit.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:20 am

Then you would be breaking the rules, Iv. You are only allowed to revive your own threads with RELEVANT content. See the rules.

To quote.

1. Necroposting is allowed with a valid reason (i.e. if you have something constructive to add). If a topic on a certain... topic already exists, but is not active, bumping it rather than posting a new topic would be preferable; however, it is not necessary.

Posting random offtopic is not constructive.

And here are your options for that action:

Option Zero, you post offtopic and get a warning. 1 strike towards a temp ban. Option One, I warn the thread as a whole to remain on topic, then lock it after 24 hours if that does not happen. Option Two, you don't post the offtopic, and we can move on.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:52 am

Nobody disallows me to post a new ship design in my topic, my actions are legal the very core, you cannot give me or anyone else participating a single point. Moreover you cannot lock the thread either, because again I will request to unlock it and you will have no choice but to do it, you cannot punish me for other peoples' posts. Finally didn’t you say just a few moments ago you don't want to ban anyone ? Or be an annoyance for the community ?

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:53 am

Lolwut?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:54 am

Error, you are forgetting that Iv never claimed to revive with off-topic, but that the thread might be turned off the topic pretty quickly.

Actually, you know what? I have an idea.
I don't want to be off-topic though and therefore will make a seperate thread because I do not want this thread to be locked down.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Error

Post by Error » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:56 am

Iv121 wrote:in 24 hours from now I will revive my ships thread with a post and then it will be filled with some off-topic,
I'm sorry, what? You're being self-contradictory, or you need to use clearer terms.

Ivan, please read the thread, I stated this topic would remain open, and as a colary, so will all other topics in Appeals.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Even when a thread goes off-topic, there's nothing going against someone posting on-topic, no rights are violated. Also this lawyerish bullshit needs to stop, we're fifteen people people in a good month, the rules hardly pull as much weight as the community.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error

Post by Error » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:02 pm

You lot sound like you don't want a moderator. Also note I have only locked, by my count, 3 threads so far.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:20 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:You lot sound like you don't want a moderator. Also note I have only locked, by my count, 3 threads so far.
I don't want your idea of a moderator. Mods should serve the community, not the rules, in our situation. Moderators should moderate, make sure things don't get out of hand and threaten the community. Unless a thread damages the integrity of the forums, I don't see why it should be locked.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:You lot sound like you don't want a moderator. Also note I have only locked, by my count, 3 threads so far.
Every thread counts. No I do not want to remove you from your position, as you saw I put to halt that stuff of new mod electing, I don't think it is a solution and more importantly I don't believe a mod can do his job while living in fear all the time. Instead I want you to take facts before your feelings or beliefs.